ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Team "Improving"?

0-6 in games decided by 5 points or less. Not only has he disproved the list of things we hoped that he would be good at, he’s also proven what we suspected all along - that he has no skill as an in game coaching strategist.

Reactions: BPGhost
Right. 4 games lost by 1 point all at home to Bellarmine, Wright State, App State and an average Syracuse team. This team managed to lose to Lipscomb by 8. No shot at Lipscomb, I actually really like how they run their offense and know guys that played there, but Cards should not have lost to that team. You have at least 9 other games that this team should have been competitive in.

I tried to make excuses and explain away the exhibition loss to Lenoir Rhyne, but the more I watched the staff and team, the more I started to question what I was seeing. If there is really some "improvement" and something going on here, you have to expect a competitive game with a potential win tomorrow against Clemson. These last 5 games (6 games counting ACC tourny) have all of sudden become intriguing.

Wrong on so many frigging levels. The year we self imposed a post season ban we would've most likely been a 2 seed. Mack had us ranked number one in the country 3 years ago. Last year we started the season 10-4 and won the Bahamas tournament.

With the portal and NIL success is a year to year proposition...Blaming anyone for this year's disaster except Kenny Payne is a total joke.

As far as this season was not going to make anyone happy, that's another joke. If he had went 500 with some close losses and had a good recruiting class teed up for next year I think most people would have been tickled pink. That's just mild expectations and he's not even in the ball park of those..

Try again..
You are wrong. Look at the Ken Pom rankings since they were #1. Straight down hill. There has been a talent drain on the program. Deny it that is fine but the data tells you otherwise. At no point have I said it is acceptable but we do have to live in reality.

Heird is 100% behind KP he is going to be here next year. He also said this year is not acceptable. We will see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
You can lay that on your last University President for torpedoing Mack and leaving you with an unqualified assistant, who by the way probably could've got this team to 500 this year..
OK maybe but why did you omit 3-18? Did you forget we finished 3-18? Seems strange to leave out that detail when describing our season. It makes it sound a lot better than it was when you talk 10-4/Bahamas and omit that little thing about finishing 3-18.

Reactions: 2330859 and earsky
You are wrong. Look at the Ken Pom rankings since they were #1. Straight down hill. There has been a talent drain on the program. Deny it that is fine but the data tells you otherwise. At no point have I said it is acceptable but we do have to live in reality.

Heird is 100% behind KP he is going to be here next year. He also said this year is not acceptable. We will see how it plays out.
I think you've made some good points. I agree it looks like Kenny is coming back for better or for worse. Like you said, we have to deal with reality.

I hope he kills it in the Portal and with the 2024 class.

I've seen bad coaches win with talent before, maybe Kenny can do that.

OK maybe but why did you omit 3-18? Did you forget we finished 3-18? Seems strange to leave out that detail when describing our season. It makes it sound a lot better than it was when you talk 10-4/Bahamas and omit that little thing about finishing 3-18.
Because they were playing with an assistant coach as head coach and Mack had had enough of the BS and probably was mailing it in even before he walked away. The team got caught in the crossfire. He didn't walk away because of the team he walked away because of the behind the scenes crap with Neeli..

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Think about how bad it had to be for a veteran coach to quit on team during and potentially never coaching again. You have to have your head in the sand to not accept that was a really bad environment.

They were 10-4 and 4-0 before the wheels came off. Neeli wasn’t the problem in the 14 games and she wasn’t the problem in the last 18 games. We may never know what happened but those coaches said many of the same things KP has been saying about getting players motivated and focused.

I believe the program was in worse shape than we as fans knew. I am not sold on KP however I am very aware he didn’t walk into a winning situation. If anyone deserves time (2-3 years not 6) to turn it around it is KP. Say what you want about him but he is 100% Louisville.

The win tonight against Clemson was big for the team and fans. It was a much deserved feel good moment and I'm glad they got to experience it with the fans and the Champs in attendance.

Like I said in another thread, if this team is truly improving they desperately needed it to translate into a win or two before seasons end as this will likely be the high point for the entire season.

They still aren’t good on defense but at least they are playing hard for longer stretches. Offensively they are much better. That was a good physical defense.

They still get lost on defense and have lazy passes but that is no longer derailing them. It is baby steps with them. You can see they are playing with more confidence. Early in the year no way BHH plays that effective in a physical game. No way JJ mentally shot fakes without hesitation takes it to the rack.

Not sure it means anything for the future because of the roster turnover. As much as the roster needs a turnover he has to keep the right guys. Culture is impossible to establish if the key guys leave.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Not sure it means anything for the future because of the roster turnover. As much as the roster needs a turnover he has to keep the right guys. Culture is impossible to establish if the key guys leave.
It depends on who stays, and it also depends on if things we've seen the last couple of games are a thing or just random fluke. We don't know.

Traynor has had two big games in a row, but last night felt like his best of his career. So is that who he is going to start being, or was it his shining moment? He's the one guy on the roster that can play above the rim. Let's see where he goes from here.

They have played well the last 6 games (less Pitt) and appear to have shown some growth in several areas. Hard to argue against that. Some great ball movement, playing with confidence (Traynor, Withers, and Ellis) and shooting the ball well making some big shots. Still fall sleep a lot on defense but overall impressive.

I also don’t think you can dismiss the fact that they got hot against Miami (played little to no defense)… UVA struggled against Notre Dame yesterday winning by 2 (not sure if UVA is in some type of funk), all the excitement around the 2013 team and the crowd in the Yum yesterday… Traynor coming out game(?) and Ellis is really playing well. Some will see this as taking a little of the shine off… so be it. Whether this factors in or not they have played well. Credit is due to them.

I said it another thread, these last several games of the season have really become intriguing.

Three out of last four on the road. I can see a 2 and 2 result. Lose at Duke, defeat Ga. Tech and VA. Tech and of course lose again to Virginia.

So that would make it 6 and 25 on the year. Assuming the first ACC tournament game may be ND or Ga. Tech, the Cards could actually win a conference tournament game.

But Cinderella is no Cards fan and the Cards lose their 2nd round game.

So 7 and 26 it is. An ungodly won/loss record but better than what it looked like it may be. Winning 4 out of the last 7 games is what the story will be going forward. Maybe some of the guys we thought were gone, come back?

(Ellis,James,Lands,Withers,Traynor,BHH)

If this team ends the season with this kind of promise by winning some of these games, KP will definitely get a 2nd season. The Yum had 15 thousand fans and it looked like old times. People will return if the team looks like they might have turned the corner.

However, if the team loses out and finishes 4 and 28, not so much.

The player’s performance has definitely improved, and I do not accept the suggestion that UVA and Clemson arrived ill-prepared, or less motivated.
I agree they appear somewhat improved but to say that teams haven't somewhat overlooked them (having a 3-23 record) is not right. It's easy to overlook a team you've watched flounder on film coming in with 3 wins on the season. You literally can't prepare yourself to take a team serious that has that poor of a record.

This team should've started the season playing at this level, not taking until the 2nd week of February to get here.

I'm happy we won on a night we were celebrating the 2013 national championship team but this team is no more than they have been all season.

The majority of those folks were there out of respect for the 2013 team.
This is true but when the team responded with winning basketball, those folks were cheering and having a lot of fun. They were cheering the 23 loss team.

I'm not so naive to think this means we're going to go on a winning streak. However, it's a step forward which is all any of us can hope for whoever is coaching.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
It depends on who stays, and it also depends on if things we've seen the last couple of games are a thing or just random fluke. We don't know.

Traynor has had two big games in a row, but last night felt like his best of his career. So is that who he is going to start being, or was it his shining moment? He's the one guy on the roster that can play above the rim. Let's see where he goes from here.
I would have the same thoughts even if they lost. The ball and player movement on offense is much better the last 4-5 games. Their stupid turnovers are a reflection of being drilled to move the ball. The speed they are moving at now is different because they have a better understanding.

Tonight could be a disaster I don’t trust them to be grounded after that win. Even if they win I am not going to feel any better or worse about KP. Mainly due to not knowing the roster.

This year made next critical so the learning curve can’t take till January. They have to come out of the gates ready. He looses key guys and has to start over good luck.

Last edited:
I would have the same thoughts even if they lost. The ball and player movement on offense is much better the last 4-5 games. Their stupid turnovers are a reflection of being drilled to move the ball. The speed they are moving at now is different because they have a better understanding.

Tonight could be a disaster I don’t trust them to be grounded after that win. Even if they win I am not going to feel any better or worse about KP. Mainly due to not knowing the roster.

This year made next critical so the learning curve can’t take till January. They have to come out of the gates ready. He looses key guys and has to start over good luck.
Tonight is a quick turn around on the road against a tournament team that doesn't lose at home often. It would be a massive challenge for a vintage UofL team.

Duke has much better athletes 1-5 than UofL has played against lately. If UofL stays in the game and plays good basketball I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I will put the question before the Jury as yes they are improved, and the evidence is how they performed offensively against the last two Ball line defenses (UVa and Clemson) versus all of their predecessors since we have moved to the ACC. In that context not only yes have they improved, but Hell Yes.

Reactions: 2330859
Anyone who has followed the head coaches at both Clemson and UVA know those teams are always prepared and do not overlook any opponent. Clemson knew coming in they are playing every game with NCAA eligibility on the line.

Anyone who has followed the head coaches at both Clemson and UVA know those teams are always prepared and do not overlook any opponent. Clemson knew coming in they are playing every game with NCAA eligibility on the line.
They probably did have them prepared with a good scouting report and game plan but it's very hard to motivate kids to play against teams that suck on paper.. You can't get yourself mentally prepared after the game starts, momentum is already against you..

I coached a lot of AAU ball and when our teams were playing a team we knew were equal to us or better, I knew we would give our best effort. If we played teams we usually beat those games always worried me because even though we usually beat them they were capable. Over a season we probably lost more times to teams we were better than, than teams that were better than us.

Probably poor coaching on my part..😆

The team has improved offensively. I think the area they have improved the most is in their ball movement and confidence shooting the ball. You can see they are trying to make the right decision but in some situations cannot execute. They are shooting with confidence.

Defensive not so much. They just get lost on defense too much. A better defensive effort.. I think they win this game against Duke tonight.

Reactions: shadow force
The team has improved offensively. I think the area they have improved the most is in their ball movement and confidence shooting the ball. You can see they are trying to make the right decision but in some situations cannot execute. They are shooting with confidence.

Defensive not so much. They just get lost on defense too much. A better defensive effort.. I think they win this game against Duke tonight.
Yep….clueless on defense.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT