ADVERTISEMENT

Is Pitino Lite's buyout cost as high as Stoops?...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...I'm wondering where they're gonna spend their millions first.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Did Calipari really run that "We were their Super Bowl" line after the game? Someone told me he was playing the SB card. If he really did that, what a slap in the face to UCLA's storied tradition. They have 11 freaking titles. I'm pretty sure UCLA is a "only 6 games matter" type program.

Did Calipari really run that "We were their Super Bowl" line after the game? Someone told me he was playing the SB card. If he really did that, what a slap in the face to UCLA's storied tradition. They have 11 freaking titles. I'm pretty sure UCLA is a "only 6 games matter" type program.

Well, they did pack the arena for the first time in over a year and rush the court afterwards. They certainly acted as if it were.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
Did Calipari really run that "We were their Super Bowl" line after the game?...
Yep, heard it. His favorite move.

He longs for laid back, disinterested fans on the road like there were at Michigan State Wednesday nite.

Well, they did pack the arena for the first time in over a year and rush the court afterwards. They certainly acted as if it were.
wrong! the fans did not rush the court. I thought that at first, and then I looked closer.
it was the cheerleaders and the dance team who ran onto the court.

wrong! the fans did not rush the court. I thought that at first, and then I looked closer.
it was the cheerleaders and the dance team who ran onto the court.
It was cool, seeing the rebirth of pride in the UCLA program. Hell, that looked like a Warriors game out there, ha ha. Some creative chants and signs too, lol - "Calipari Cheats" was a favorite of mine.

Reactions: Cue Card
I missed it and I'm OK with that. I don't follow UofK. AT. ALL.

Looking at the box score, it sure appears UofK's awesome frosh don't yet understand how to play defense. Imagine that. UCLA on the other hand looks to know exactly how to play D. UCLA shot 52.8% for the game, 5 of 11 from the behind the arc, and actually hit more free throws than UofK shot. When was the last time the free throw disparity has been in UofK's opponents favor regardless where they play? That tells me one of two things happened last night. Either UofK was fouling in an attempt to catch up, or they were reaching on defense without moving their feet. The high shooting percentage would suggest UCLA got to shoot a ton of uncontested shots.

UofK apparently was throwing up bricks all night since they shot 37.9%, 8 for 25 for 32% from behind the arc, and shot 13 more shots that UCLA for the game because of 16 offensive rebounds.

Freshmen + true road game for a change usually equals a loss even if the team you're playing on the road is 4-3 with losses to Monmouth and Wake Forrest.

#1? Not even close.

I missed it and I'm OK with that. I don't follow UofK. AT. ALL.

UCLA on the other hand looks to know exactly how to play D. UCLA shot 52.8% for the game, 5 of 11 from the behind the arc, and actually hit more free throws than UofK shot. When was the last time the free throw disparity has been in UofK's opponents favor regardless where they play? That tells me one of two things happened last night. Either UofK was fouling in an attempt to catch up, or they were reaching on defense without moving their feet. .

UK was only a 6.5 point favorite. Given last years result, UCLA's record this season, and UK rankings. o_O

Reactions: poppycat
This LPT team looks gutless. But their real problem is that they have to play gutless kids. There's no bench to motivate the starters. Deadly combo...

This LPT team looks gutless. But their real problem is that they have to play gutless kids. There's no bench to motivate the starters. Deadly combo...

Zipp, I do read a lot on many boards, but post very little (less than 100 per year)
I have noticed that you post a lot, but say very little.........you show up on other boards
just to argue. Do you ever have an original thought?:(

I read posters here like Omega & Cue and I can see that they actually saw at
least some of the games they share opinions on.

Last edited:
Zipp, I do read a lot on many boards, but post very little (less than 100 per year) I have noticed that you post a lot, but say very little.........you show up on other boards just to argue. Do you ever have an original thought?

I read posters here like Omega & Cue and I can see that they actually saw at least some of the games they share opinions on.
I'm not sure that you haven't confused me ("show up on other boards") with someone else. I probably haven't posted 20 times in ten years on a non-U of L message board.

And no offense to Omega, Cue, or any other U of L poster, but you'll have to excuse me if I understandably hold an LPT fan's opinion in pretty low regard. Like zero.

I realize it's not too "original", but how 'bout them Bruins?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that you haven't confused me ("show up on other boards") with someone else. I probably haven't posted 20 times in ten years on a non-U of L message board.

And no offense to Omega, Cue, or any other U of L poster, but you'll have to excuse me if I understandably hold an LPT fan's opinion in pretty low regard. Like zero.

I realize it's not too "original", but how 'bout them Bruins?

None taken. I was being sarcastic about how that game must have looked to a gambling cat fan. Sure lock for the cats to cover. But who would have guessed that unlike 98% of their games the cats would lose the whistle battle? ;)

Reactions: Cue Card
It was cool, seeing the rebirth of pride in the UCLA program. Hell, that looked like a Warriors game out there, ha ha. Some creative chants and signs too, lol - "Calipari Cheats" was a favorite of mine.
LOL!! Rebirth!!!!!! LOL!! Kind of reaching aren't ya?

I call em like I see them and all I had was ESPN, lol. Your team sure didn't raise the pulse much. That was a sea of yellow, lol.

Pitino Lite? He's eaten Rickys lunch since being at UK. Its been the most one sided rivalry in my lifetime. Call him what you want, he's been better than Pitino.

Pitino Lite? He's eaten Rickys lunch since being at UK. Its been the most one sided rivalry in my lifetime. Call him what you want, he's been better than Pitino.
The moniker has nothing to do with a rivalry... Has to do with the LPT attempt to get the next-best thing in a coach.

And the on-the-court results have nothing to do with coaching or coaching "lite". That's mostly about the number of five-star kids on the two teams' rosters and the LPT Super Bowl factor that your coach always talks about.

Zipp I respect your dedication to your craft, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you wouldn't call any of UK's kids "gutless" to their faces. I'm all for the rivalry but calling teenagers names on the internet seems like it should be below someone of your stature.

That aside, they looked downright bad against UCLA and not much better against EKU last night. Even at #5 UK is overranked. I have no idea how they dusted Duke so easily, unless Duke isn't very good either. Louisville has a great opportunity to knock UK off this year. From what I have seen of both teams, U of L is better right now.

Zipp I respect your dedication to your craft, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you wouldn't call any of UK's kids "gutless" to their faces. I'm all for the rivalry but calling teenagers names on the internet seems like it should be below someone of your stature.

That aside, they looked downright bad against UCLA and not much better against EKU last night. Even at #5 UK is overranked. I have no idea how they dusted Duke so easily, unless Duke isn't very good either. Louisville has a great opportunity to knock UK off this year. From what I have seen of both teams, U of L is better right now.
I expect that Pitino Lite called 'em worse than "gutless". But a less inflammatory word is something like "heartless" or "indifferent". Your guys are simply going through the motions, waiting for something better, as is often the case with OAD kids. Their objectives ain't always winning games or championships unless there's something tangible attached to it.

I suspect that Duke is indeed overrated. Looking forward to our conference games with them.

Reactions: JohnKBA
I can live with that Zipp - I agree that they look nothing like a good team at this point. It's a bunch of good parts that aren't functioning as a singular device. I'm having flashbacks to the 2012-13 UK team here. This team is nowhere near what we had last year or even the Randle team that got hot at the right time and made the title game. I have a tough time right now seeing this UK team beating a middling seed in the tourney.

Reactions: zipp
Not sure if you have watched the games Senore, but Ulis is by far the best player we have. He doesn't project as the best pro, and isn't the best scorer, but the entire offense is stabilized when he is running things. Murray does some great things but take Ulis off that team and they are gonna lose 12 games.

Right now it's Murray and a bunch of stiffs. Stop Murray, you beat UK.
Exactly, Ulis and Briscoe should be at Morehead, if that. They're gutless from what I've read. Levich and Q will take their lunch money bro..

Ulis is your most important player because of his unselfishness at his PG job. Murray is the scorer the offense is based around, or at least he thinks so. He's hard to stop. Ulis is having a crappy season from 3, a shot that used to surprise people. He's good, for sure. How good is the question.

Right now it's Murray and a bunch of stiffs. Stop Murray, you beat UK.
I'll take your word on it since I haven't seen them play, but I was under the impression the kid who was shopped around by his handler was the best player on the planet. I've also been told that the 5 foot 9 inch guard they have is the best guard in college basketball. Now you're telling me the Murray kid is the best player on their roster? That means UofK is loaded 15 deep again! How on earth did they lose to UCLA?

I'll take your word on it since I haven't seen them play, but I was under the impression the kid who was shopped around by his handler was the best player on the planet. I've also been told that the 5 foot 9 inch guard they have is the best guard in college basketball. Now you're telling me the Murray kid is the best player on their roster? That means UofK is loaded 15 deep again! How on earth did they lose to UCLA?

How did they lose?

Cue..You answered your own question..........You haven't seen them play.
I am one on UK fans that you will not see me listing excuses or reasons.
But, most highly rated incoming classes do not live up to fan expectation in Nov.

P.S. I visit here some just to keep up. (not to discuss current events)
You and 1/2 others seem to have it together relate to the facts. Peace

If you visit our board, you will see that I'm not negative toward UL, UNC, UI, Duke
KU or any major opponent.....just talk bb.

Players like Labissiere are the reason the NBA is a strong proponent of the one and done rule. He probably would have been a top 3 pick in the 2016 draft but watching him get bullied around by mediocre college players is gonna push him outside the lottery (if he is lucky.) No idea how the scouts/analysts could have missed so bad on that kid. This UK team is not even close to last year's team. Towns was a ready made superstar and they outsized everyone. We will find out this year what the "dribble drive" really is, because UK has no choice but to let this be a guard dominated offense - which is also a problem because nobody can shoot. Could be a long year.

Reactions: Senore2006
Players like Labissiere are the reason the NBA is a strong proponent of the one and done rule. He probably would have been a top 3 pick in the 2016 draft but watching him get bullied around by mediocre college players is gonna push him outside the lottery (if he is lucky.) No idea how the scouts/analysts could have missed so bad on that kid. This UK team is not even close to last year's team. Towns was a ready made superstar and they outsized everyone. We will find out this year what the "dribble drive" really is, because UK has no choice but to let this be a guard dominated offense - which is also a problem because nobody can shoot. Could be a long year.

Reminds me of the 13-14 team... up and down season, lots of questions, jelled late. At least I hope... would be better than the 12-13 NIT season...

Of course, it is still very early... beat Duke handily, lose to UCLA, a few sub-par wins, enigma... who knows how it will shape up. At least we don't have to worry about 40-0 bs...

RE: SKAL.........Cal has to project what he will be in Mar/APR.
Continue to try to develop him.........maybe even move
out 10/12 ft,
Another option... Give the two wide bodied Fr some clock. Lee and
Poythress together is not the total answer even with
a 3 G offense.
Outside shooting is a current problem, but not so much different than
previous UK teams..........then again, it might not change this year.

RE: SKAL.........Cal has to project what he will be in Mar/APR.
Continue to try to develop him.........maybe even move
out 10/12 ft,
Another option... Give the two wide bodied Fr some clock. Lee and
Poythress together is not the total answer even with
a 3 G offense.
Outside shooting is a current problem, but not so much different than
previous UK teams..........then again, it might not change this year.
Just a second for thanking the 2 UK posters who remind us they can talk about something besides seeing Calipai's visage shimmering miraculously on some outhouse wall. :)

Good posts, poppy and John.

Just a second for thanking the 2 UK posters who remind us they can talk about something besides seeing Calipai's visage shimmering miraculously on some outhouse wall. :)

Good posts, poppy and John.

Thanks senore. I appreciate the good conversation. And, I have Cal's shimmering visage projected onto my bedroom ceiling. He wakes me up with that magic smile every morning :)

As I have said before, I don't give excuses (reasons) for under performing.
Assuming you saw UCLA vs UK, you can form your own opinion.
If you witnessed the UCLA @ Gonzaga game, you can form your own opinion. A loss is a loss, but our loss to UCLA just moved up a notch. (a good loss maybe)

As I have said before, I don't give excuses (reasons) for under performing.
Assuming you saw UCLA vs UK, you can form your own opinion.
If you witnessed the UCLA @ Gonzaga game, you can form your own opinion. A loss is a loss, but our loss to UCLA just moved up a notch. (a good loss maybe)
I never thought UCLA was going to disappear, myself. I watched what Alford did at New Mexico and that was no fluke. His recruiting ground was far too good at UCLA, as is the brand, regardless of the supposed fan apathy. He has enough old School going, he can use a traditional type and exploit it - such as their center stepping back and repeatedly drilling unguarded mid range shots. UCLA will be in the mix for a while to come. Having lived so long out west, I also realize how little people back east know about what's going on out there. Mind you, the majority of good teams are 'back east' this season. So, yeah, it could be called a "good loss" except that you were never in it and your weaknesses were exposed. I;m not sure Poythress can compensate for the disappointment delivered by the Skal experiment. Man, he just isn't hungry - and that's a good thing because he probably needs another whole season and 30 more pounds on that stringbean frame. Murray looked like a simple ball and shot hog that game. UK look pretty average, the truth is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT