ADVERTISEMENT

Is It NCAA Tournament Or Bust This Season?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
For you, personally, is it NCAAT or bust this season? The bust just meaning disappointment or failure for the season. Where are your expectations on this? Is the standard always the standard no matter what or are there mitigating circumstances in your view?

For you, personally, is it NCAAT or bust this season? The bust just meaning disappointment or failure for the season. Where are your expectations on this? Is the standard always the standard no matter what or are there mitigating circumstances in your view?
Kelsey has said his team was built to win out the gate. So he has set the standard of the tourney. He himself has set a high standard . He doesn't lack confidence i will say. Sometimes that can be good or bad.

I just want to see a better product on the court. Let’s just look like we’ve practiced together before. That would be a step forward from the last two years. I think the tournament is possible, but making it depends on health and how all these new pieces fit together. It’ll be exciting.

Reactions: shadow force
I understand folks who may be hesitant about bold predictions, but you have to remember what a really pos coach we had the last 2 years. A historical pos coach. That dumbass started his walk-on son. 11 players on this team were in the tournament last year. The 12th? A really good freshman. Anyone who thinks this team is not going to challenge for the acc title is not paying attention. The tournament is a forgone conclusion

Nothing is forgone prime example Arkansas top coach loaded roster on paper .

""For the first time since 2009-10, the Razorbacks posted an overall losing record (16-17) in a season that they were picked preseason by some national analysts to win the national championship.

One year removed from a Sweet Sixteen appearance with three 2023 draft selections, fifth-year head coach Eric Musselman went transfer-heavy for this year's roster. The Hogs added seven transfers and two freshmen to go along with five key returners and it never seemed to work consistently."

Yes, I think it is crucial that we make the tournament. We’ve had recent movement in high school recruiting but it still looks like we will have a small class and we will need to acquire 4-6 transfers. We need to be able to sell our success to recruits in the transfer portal.

Nothing is forgone prime example Arkansas top coach loaded roster on paper .
You mean that Arkansas team that was mostly made up of shooting guards who couldn't play defense? The one with El Ellis on it? That was a group of individuals, not a team and that was clear as day if you watched them play. We will see shortly though.

I'm with them win or lose. Not as intensely after all that's happened.

I'd say if the program is going to get back to relevancy with this staff, they got to hit the ground running with it and at the very least be in the NCAAT hunt towards the end of the year.

And that's probably what the majority of the fanbase needs to see year one. If we're hovering around .500 or worse then fans just aren't going to be feeling it.

If the team is pushing or in the T25 and playing the type of ball we've seen in the good times then I think everyone would be happy.

Kelsey has said his team was built to win out the gate. So he has set the standard of the tourney. He himself has set a high standard . He doesn't lack confidence i will say. Sometimes that can be good or bad.
I do believe CPK is confident in his team. I also believe that he was smart enough to know that, after the last several years, the last thing the fanbase wanted to hear was sandbagging and lowered expectations.

Reactions: Art79
One thing that could bolster or beat down this team in year one: The schedule.

The schedule is pretty brutal right from the jump. Most people probably didn't want to see cupcake city but this team will go through trial by fire before the season ends.

One thing that could bolster or beat down this team in year one: The schedule.

The schedule is pretty brutal right from the jump. Most people probably didn't want to see cupcake city but this team will go through trial by fire before the season ends.
That's exactly why i stated confidence can be good or bad. I would have left myself some wiggle room. As we know fans are very fickle will turn on you quickly.With some of those opponent's the product can look either good or bad. That's why i don't get why some folks are crying about where some media have them picked in the ACC. Putting them in the middle is pretty fair.

You mean that Arkansas team that was mostly made up of shooting guards who couldn't play defense? The one with El Ellis on it? That was a group of individuals, not a team and that was clear as day if you watched them play. We will see shortly though.
It's pretty much the same style Kelsey plays running and gunning.

Not sure how anyone can expect a program that has sunk to this point to make the tourney in one year. That’s an unreasonable goal, and I wouldn’t want this coach judged by that standard. I’d like to see a competitive team which probably means about a .500 record…

Last edited:
Not sure how anyone can expect a program that has sunk to this point to make the tourney in one year. That’s an unreasonable goal, and I wouldn’t want this coach judged by that standard. I’d like to see a competitive team which probably means about a .500 record…
Well you might want to contact Kelsey and muzle his mouth he doing it to himself. Personally i don't think he really has a true understanding of what he is getting into with this level of fans. They will turn on you in a heart beat.

Kelsey knows his employer needs money. He's probably been told they need fast results. And that has nothing to do with reality. The fans don't have to be unreasonable even if the people he works for are. In some respects, I feel sorry for the guy...

Honestly, I'm always disappointed when the Cards don't make the NCAA Tournament- at least to some degree. I do understand circumstances, injuries, and other variables as well though. If this team wins around 20 games, maybe a couple upsets thrown in and looks competitive every night, but doesn't make the Tourney, I'd be disappointed but also would believe that Kelsey is on the right track.

The only way I'd be hugely disappointed is if he goes under .500 for some reason. I don't think he will though and until it looks otherwise, I believe he could make the NCAAT with this team. We'll see.

CBS has 'em 8th in ACC, which feels fair.

SI has 'em 3rd in ACC, which does feel ambitious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT