ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL INSIDER NOTES: Spring Practice

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
I realize the football content has been lacking, and I apologize. We are in the process of making in roads with the new staff, and I haven’t been able to attend many of the open practices.

The media availability has been at odd times, and hasn’t been put out by Go Cards, making it tough for me to get press conferences uploaded.

Not gonna make excuses, gotta be better.

On a positive note, I was able to attend a private event tonight with the entire staff. Here are a few items worth passing along:

- Loves quarterback Jack Plummer. They didn’t put him in positions to win at Purdue, didn’t surround him with the right pieces, and actually helped him get on at Cal. Plummer wanted to come to Louisville to win a bunch of games. Plummer more than anything just wants to win. Said he’s looked great all spring and they are thrilled to have him here. Mentioned Domann and Evan Conley as the backups. Said Pierce practiced fully for the first time today.

- At running back, Maurice Turner has been the breakout guy of the room. Barclay has built a really close bond with he and Jawhar Jordan, and both of those guys have been awesome. Any worries of Cincy taking Jordan were put to rest. Jordan loves it at Louisville and Barclay was the same type of back at Wake as those two are here. They relate and see the game very similarly. Feel confident about that room.

- At wide receiver, it’s full speed ahead. Like what they have there. Kevin Coleman is going to be involved in the return game as well.

- They want to add one and maybe even two veteran TEs from the portal. The message was simple in that the room right now is just in-experienced and there’s been a big learning curve.

- At offensive line, Renato Brown, Bryan Hudson, and Michael Gonzalez are as good as it gets. The other two spots are up for grabs. They will address it in the portal if needed and more than likely they will.

- In the secondary, the players standing out are Ben Perry and MJ Griffin. At corner, the two starters will be Brownlee and Riley. Pretty cut and dry at corner.

- At linebacker KJ Cloyd has gotten better, Alderman has played well too. Stanquan Clark is going to get a lot of reps. He’s going to be a stud here. Flies around. Has great size and speed. Going to be a good one for a long time. Will look in the portal here as well.

- Defensive line should be solid. Jermayne Lole is back and healthy. Has gone through spring ball. Should have a big year.

- From an NIL standpoint, Louisville feels that it can compete with 3/4s of the country. A few schools are going to be a notch above, but within the conference, the setup in place is good enough to win championships.

- Said they discuss analytics during the week but in game he relies on gut and instincts. Less on what a book says. Said that the trick plays will be used. A few guys will leave, but they will have their fair share of new guys coming in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News