ADVERTISEMENT

IMO Brohm”s STRENGTH, is also his WEAKNESS!

Cardfan4ever

One-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
LOYALTY!!! He was loyal to his recruits at Purdue (which is why he stayed), just like he is loyal to Plummer. He refuses to give the new guys a shot because of his loyalty.

I don’t think loyalty is a bad thing. It is really hard to know at this point but it is clear he thought Plummer was the best option.

Freshman QB’s better be all world to play in today’s game. We will see Clarkson maybe great, may not be ready or he may end up transferring it is the nature of that position. There are a hell of lot of flame outs at QB.

Clarkson is as talented as Travis was when UL signed Jordan out of HS. Interestingly, Clarkson‘s father mentored Miller Moss during his HS career, and has a well established reputation as developing young QBs.

Pierce Clarkson is “the real deal”, and everyone associated with West Coast football recognizes his talent level and his leadership ability, but it was his own father insisting that Pierce redshirt his freshman year …… Jeff Brohm honored the senior Clarkson’s request, as he can appreciate that he knows a lot more about his son’s need for additional strength and more time to adjust to College football.

The Plummer fumble was inexcusable, but his performance was actually most effective in executing a game plan that would have worked if the defense would have performed anywhere close to expectations.

Multiple people at fault for the Plummer fumble - not just Plummer. Don’t forget the blockers who failed to block the USC player who has declared for the NFL draft but DIDNT opt out, as well as the coaches who called the slow-developing play that we couldn’t block properly. And you might also blame our two NFL opt outs, especially the wide receiver who should have been on the field on that play for Plummer to target.

Well said Pushup Man. “If it were simple, everyone would be doing it”. Football is very complex, and it is what makes this team sport so much to consider.

I might just add for those who have been so quick to place so much criticism on Jack Plummer ……. Look at how many catchable passes that were dropped over these last 3 losses. I expect we will see a lot of improvement in both the depth and talent in our TEs and our Receivers by the time next Fall rolls around.

Reactions: PushupMan
I’m not one to judge off of moral victories but EVERYTHING was going darn near perfect for USC. With UofL shortcomings at QB, lack of WR speed, lack of overall depth, and the DBs not showing up. We only lost by 2 TDs to a more talented team!
No excuses but we got the shaft having to go across country to San Diego in which it by all intents and purposes was a true road game from the crowd to the commentators. Did anyone else notice that when the head official would make a call against them he sounded depressed and when the call went against us he would announce it emphatically! Just an observation

• Wow
Reactions: JTMPR and Mayoman
I’m not one to judge off of moral victories but EVERYTHING was going darn near perfect for USC. With UofL shortcomings at QB, lack of WR speed, lack of overall depth, and the DBs not showing up. We only lost by 2 TDs to a more talented team!
No excuses but we got the shaft having to go across country to San Diego in which it by all intents and purposes was a true road game from the crowd to the commentators. Did anyone else notice that when the head official would make a call against them he sounded depressed and when the call went against us he would announce it emphatically! Just an observation

Love me some Gus Johnson … he’s one of the very best. But to your point, he’s an employee of Fox Sports, and Fox had the PAC-12 contract and has the Big Ten contract going forward.

The one commentary that irritated the hell out of me was late in the game when the analyst ( Klatt) criticized the official for the defensive holding call on USC. He didn’t say a word earlier when Ben Perry was called for defensive holding. In that play, it was very clear that the USC receiver actually initiated the contact.

The one commentary that irritated the hell out of me was late in the game when the analyst ( Klatt) criticized the official for the defensive holding call on USC. He didn’t say a word earlier when Ben Perry was called for defensive holding. In that play, it was very clear that the USC receiver actually initiated the contact.
Weird huh? Or maybe not so weird considering what I've heard all season from others.

Reactions: PushupMan
Sometimes the speed differential between the WR and the defensive back is more about the poor recognition of the defensive back. In several instances (unfortunately we saw too many last night) the coverage was so relaxed, evidenced where with the one USC TE was wide open in the middle of the secondary. The few times we were in position; the DB was not aware of where the ball was while still in the air; instead of looking in the face of the receiver. On one TD reception, our safety was positioned behind the receiver in the end zone, eliminating any chance of challenging the reception.

Look, do I think Plummer gave maximum effort? Absolutely. I loved his experience, his knowledge of the system, and his willingness to play here. He's just not good. Sub-talent, mediocre arm, some awareness issues. But he still got us 10 wins. Darndest thing. His playing days are over. He's no pro QB on any level.

Reactions: 2330859
Clarkson is as talented as Travis was when UL signed Jordan out of HS. Interestingly, Clarkson‘s father mentored Miller Moss during his HS career, and has a well established reputation as developing young QBs.

Pierce Clarkson is “the real deal”, and everyone associated with West Coast football recognizes his talent level and his leadership ability, but it was his own father insisting that Pierce redshirt his freshman year …… Jeff Brohm honored the senior Clarkson’s request, as he can appreciate that he knows a lot more about his son’s need for additional strength and more time to adjust to College football.

The Plummer fumble was inexcusable, but his performance was actually most effective in executing a game plan that would have worked if the defense would have performed anywhere close to expectations.
Yeah, it was the Defense. One fumble is not bad. It was a good year that ended badly

Well said Pushup Man. “If it were simple, everyone would be doing it”. Football is very complex, and it is what makes this team sport so much to consider.

I might just add for those who have been so quick to place so much criticism on Jack Plummer ……. Look at how many catchable passes that were dropped over these last 3 losses. I expect we will see a lot of improvement in both the depth and talent in our TEs and our Receivers by the time next Fall rolls around.
I HOPE we do.

I think Brohm’s problem is what we saw all season…Pride. Last night he could have ran Gurrendo every series on 1st and 2nd down and possibly won the game by breaking USC’s spirit early before they gained confidence. He did the very same thing at Pitt that he did last night. UK wasn’t his fault, FSU he should have had a better offensive plan although they had a championship defense.

But I think from watching Brohm all season he’s adamant in putting his touch on everything. The old quote “keep it simple, stupid!” comes to mind imo.

I still like JB as our coach but the Purdue fans warned us of his inconsistency’s. Only hoping the pressure of being home will turn him into a diamond.

The margin for error is so small. They could have went undefeated or lost 6 games.

USC was the only game where I thought they were outmatched defensively plus the game plan was shaky. I think they underestimated the speed and precision of their offense. Riley eats up man coverage. No way I go into that game singling up coverage as much as they did.

FSU was a mismatch for the Louisville offense.

Both cases it screams the need for team speed.

Reactions: Mayoman
This loss was on the DEFENSE
And special teams (blocked punt) and TO's that gave a short field to USC for easier scores. Take that away and our chances would have been better. Oh that and calling holding on USC's O line a time or too would not be asking too much. It is what it is. USC was better than the Cards last night...end of story.

New book opens up next year in Year 2 of the Return of Brohm.

The margin for error is so small. They could have went undefeated or lost 6 games.

USC was the only game where I thought they were outmatched defensively plus the game plan was shaky. I think they underestimated the speed and precision of their offense. Riley eats up man coverage. No way I go into that game singling up coverage as much as they did.

FSU was a mismatch for the Louisville offense.

Both cases it screams the need for team speed.
Everyone talking about 20 players not playing for USC. Other than a receiver and QB, most of those were 2nd and 3rd string players going in the portal. USC probably had most of its offensive line starters. USC is a very good offensive team, by far the best we played this season. They protected their QB so he could find his receivers.
The flip side is their defense sucked. Gurrendo could have ran for well over 200 yards and broke their spirit imo but Brohm decided to get cute instead of sticking with what ala Pitt…end of story.

Love me some Gus Johnson … he’s one of the very best. But to your point, he’s an employee of Fox Sports, and Fox had the PAC-12 contract and has the Big Ten contract going forward.

good point about Gus Johnson I didn’t even think about that. Makes sense that he was more familiar with USC and its players

Everyone talking about 20 players not playing for USC. Other than a receiver and QB, most of those were 2nd and 3rd string players going in the portal. USC probably had most of its offensive line starters. USC is a very good offensive team, by far the best we played this season. They protected their QB so he could find his receivers.
The flip side is their defense sucked. Gurrendo could have ran for well over 200 yards and broke their spirit imo but Brohm decided to get cute instead of sticking with what ala Pitt…end of story.
I'm a Cardinals fan true and true but let's not distort the facts. Gone was Williams. Gone was starting running back MarShawn Lloyd. Gone were top receiver Brenden Rice and safety Calen Bullock and cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace. USC’s group was gutted, a collection of youngsters and untested vets. The linebacker group and secondary, in particular, was razor-thin, with little experience behind stalwart inside linebackers Mason Cobb and Eric Gentry and a collection of untested defensive backs – corners Prophet Brown and Jacobe Covington, nickelback Tre’Quon Fegans, and safety Anthony Beavers Jr. earning a start.

Sometimes the speed differential between the WR and the defensive back is more about the poor recognition of the defensive back. In several instances (unfortunately we saw too many last night) the coverage was so relaxed, evidenced where with the one USC TE was wide open in the middle of the secondary. The few times we were in position; the DB was not aware of where the ball was while still in the air; instead of looking in the face of the receiver. On one TD reception, our safety was positioned behind the receiver in the end zone, eliminating any chance of challenging the reception.
Good observation. To me "Ball Skills" is what separates good/great CBs from others. Riley was our only CB with great ball skills.

I'm a Cardinals fan true and true but let's not distort the facts. Gone was Williams. Gone was starting running back MarShawn Lloyd. Gone were top receiver Brenden Rice and safety Calen Bullock and cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace. USC’s group was gutted, a collection of youngsters and untested vets. The linebacker group and secondary, in particular, was razor-thin, with little experience behind stalwart inside linebackers Mason Cobb and Eric Gentry and a collection of untested defensive backs – corners Prophet Brown and Jacobe Covington, nickelback Tre’Quon Fegans, and safety Anthony Beavers Jr. earning a start.

To me the difference in the game was the speed and ability of their WRs. I missed Q1 because of work but I don't recall the WRs dropping a single catchable ball which is pretty amazing. USC also attacked our Safeties who didn't have the speed to adequately cover the WRs.

To me the difference in the game was the speed and ability of their WRs. I missed Q1 because of work but I don't recall the WRs dropping a single catchable ball which is pretty amazing. USC also attacked our Safeties who didn't have the speed to adequately cover the WRs.
I definitely agree with this but I would also like to ask why we didn't rush more than 4 and hurry up the backup QB. Did we even record a sack? How many hurries?

Reactions: earsky
Their line was all there which gave them time to throw. You think what you like. Rice isn’t that great, and running on Louisville wasn’t going to happen anyway.

There’s a website with all opt outs of every bowl. Go check USC and it was a bunch of 3rd stringers going into the portal.

Brohm’s hardheaded ness on running Gurrendo 40 plus times lost the game for Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT