ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitino lays down to this UK in December he doesn't deserve to coach here

No his window of beating them is steadily closing and it's crazy how fans have the UK football loser mentality when it comes to when we play them in basketball. We've left two titles on the table because Pitino forgets how to coach when he faces his old school. The "That game don't matter because it's a December non conference game" ppl are in denial and act like they haven't sent two of our best teams home in March/April.

Too many fans have developed battered wife syndrome ever since cal arrived in Lexington.

I'll agree the rivalry in BB doesn't mean that much to me anymore. It's one thing when back in the day everyone had to recruit and were lucky to get 2 highly rated guys per class. But to have the most powerful man in BB sending recruits your way every year, and extremely interested in their success to boot....please. I wasn't born yesterday. Pretty low class for the "system" to show favoritism IMO.

Reactions: blubo
I do question his timing. Only SuCkS fans bring up the basketball after their
latest fiasco in football against the Cards. Not saying he is a Scat fan, but to
focus on a game 27 days away, and not MSU is puzzling.
I only posted this after watching a UK team that looks very average and beatable after six games. There's nothing UK about me at all so Cue can save that nonsense. Kerry don't you want to start winning the bball game too?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I think it's time to lock out Lockdown. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm done reading his obvious flame bait drivel about a hall of fame coach.

Welcome to the ignore list LockdownCard.
Put Me on ignore all you want it's not gonna hurt my feelings one bit. And it only shows how fans like you are in denial.

Put Me on ignore all you want it's not gonna hurt my feelings one bit. And it only shows how fans like you are in denial.

Oh and I suppose you think you're being totally rational with your proclamation in the OP? So you think Pitino should quit or be fired if he doesn't beat Uk this season? That's ridiculous.

Oh and I suppose you think you're being totally rational with your proclamation in the OP? So you think Pitino should quit or be fired if he doesn't beat Uk this season? That's ridiculous.
I was a bit over the top. I can admit that but I really do want this game this year. Seems like the coach,players and now a majority of the fans downplay the game as if it has no meaning or significance.

We are never prepared for them and every year we are playing flat and trying to come from behind. Year after year our upperclassmen are outplayed and outsmarted by their freshmen when it should be the other vice versa.

Are you saying that was a foul on Briscoe? There may have been a lot of missed calls in that game, but that definitely wasn't one of them. If you watch it frame by frame, he very clearly got a piece of the ball first (the ball didn't keep going up; he hit it with his finger, which caused it to stop in the air). Sure, he hit his arm on the follow through, but that doesn't matter once he hit the ball first. Not even a close call. Again, I am not saying there weren't missed calls or that there wasn't a huge foul disparity, but that is simply a poor example to choose because it was not a foul.

Also, not sure why everyone is saying that UK may win due to the officiating in Rupp. UK and UofL have played 8 times since Cal arrived. Louisville has only won of those games, despite 3 being played at YUM and 2 in the NCAA tournament. And the one game Louisville won was UK's NIT team against Louisville's title team, and the game was still very close at YUM. My point is that I don't think anyone can use the officials as an excuse in the series lately.
:confused:

Reactions: cuzimacardfan
Uh,I think he's pretty good,but he bout broke that dude's arm.lol on the comment about Briscoe getting the arm on the follow thru.

Reactions: cuzimacardfan
Yep. It's their bread and butter if the game is close at half. Dip, duck, drive, ram and flail as if you just got shot.

Its been going on since cow, came to the cayuts. Wall, bledsoe and knight would
literally jumped into a defender. That and bigs going over backs are the only plays
cow can coach. ALL THAT TALENT, and one...................title.

Reactions: blubo and OmegaCard
I was a bit over the top. I can admit that but I really do want this game this year. Seems like the coach,players and now a majority of the fans downplay the game as if it has no meaning or significance.

We are never prepared for them and every year we are playing flat and trying to come from behind. Year after year our upperclassmen are outplayed and outsmarted by their freshmen when it should be the other vice versa.

Alot of what you say is true, however your timing is way off. The Cards whipped their
arse Saturday, and your talkin about the b-ball game.
Thats a tatic used by the cayut fanbase. You know the Cards play MSU in less than 5 hours.
Theres plenty of time to air complaints about Coach Pitino vs SuCkS. This week
wasnt the week...................

The vast majority of both fanbases aren't like the lunatic fringe you see here on message boards. I like beating Louisville but I don't hate anything about the school, the players, the coaches, etc. Both are top 6 all time programs and it's special when we meet. Calipari has had Pitino's number but these things tend to by cyclical. Both fanbases should be proud of what the basketball programs have accomplished with our current coaches, and in the past. Life is too short to be so enthralled with an opponent. Mass shootings, terrorists, cancer, etc etc. There are real things happening in the world, we should take joy in the escape of watching kids play basketball. I hope you guys beat MSU tomorrow night and keep winning, it will make the game vs UK that much more special.

Alot of what you say is true, however your timing is way off. The Cards whipped their
arse Saturday, and your talkin about the b-ball game.
Thats a tatic used by the cayut fanbase. You know the Cards play MSU in less than 5 hours.
Theres plenty of time to air complaints about Coach Pitino vs SuCkS. This week
wasnt the week...................
You're right brother

Its been going on since cow, came to the cayuts. Wall, bledsoe and knight would
literally jumped into a defender. That and bigs going over backs are the only plays
cow can coach. ALL THAT TALENT, and one...................title.
And one of only 3 coaches to go to four final fours in 5 years. The other 2 are Wooden and K. Oh, and doing it with freshman dominated teams and radically different teams every season.

I love how someone said Cal treats this game more seriously than any other, yet gives his team the week off before we play. If he cared that much, there would be practice every day and a game the same week like Pitino does.

Cal is still years younger than Pitino as well. It took the most talented team in history for Rick to get that 1 title at UK, despite having a the most talented and experienced team damn near every year. So let's not go there.

You guys looked really tough tonight. Should have win. Got a bogus charge call for real. Our backcourts are going to be fun to play each other. I just find it funny that after Pitino lost to Cal in 2012 final four he said he did not want one year players because he could not build relationships with them. Now he has 2 of them this year. One and done and 1 year transfers are the same exact thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how these idiot SuCkS fans always appear on here after midnight, like
roaches.

1...........................Title...................................

Guess it was worth 200K.

And one of only 3 coaches to go to four final fours in 5 years...
Yeah but with this, we all expected a lot more out of Pitino Lite than just getting close every year...

5-star%20recruits_zpsi4y3troz.jpg

Zipp.... but you have said yourself that the tournament champion is not necessarily the best team, that in fact it is a poor measure of success since (a) only 1 team and win and (b) there is too much randomness which occurs.

Zipp.... but you have said yourself that the tournament champion is not necessarily the best team, that in fact it is a poor measure of success since (a) only 1 team and win and (b) there is too much randomness which occurs.
Thanks for bringing that up again. As I've said before when quoted in this situation--usually by LPT fans--it's out of context...

You shouldn't FIRE a coach because he only makes runs into the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Fans at the premier programs often have that mentality. If done consistently, those are good results overall. In a OAD tournament especially, it's a crapshoot when you get to that point, and it's usually great coaching that distinguishes winners and losers beyond that. When two great coaches like Izzo and Pitino get matched up as they often do, it's truly a crapshoot.

Are you going to fire a coach because he's not "great"? If so, good luck with that next hire.

But that's at the other end of the spectrum from hanging banners. If you're hanging banners for Final Fours when you play in a lousy basketball conference and get over seeded each year, you're just winning the games you're favored to win. What Pitino Lite does each year IN SEASON is nothing extraordinary (but his recruiting is--for reasons that can be discussed elsewhere). And even with a significant talent advantage, he has a hard time getting past a national semi-final because he is not a "great" coach...

Yeah but with this, we all expected a lot more out of Pitino Lite than just getting close every year...

5-star%20recruits_zpsi4y3troz.jpg
This isn't like when Pitino was bring in high profile recruits and they were all staying for 3+ years. The great equalizer in todays game can be experience. If you have a 4 star who has been in college for 4 years there is a good chance he will be better than some freshmen 5 stars. The NBA now drafts on potential which has led to a lesser presence of upper class elite players

It's not just "experience". With time also comes maturity, desire, commitment, and/or discipline. You may want to trade the occasional 5-star kid for that.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Last year. prior to playing UofL UK beat Kansas by 32; Providence by 20; Texas by 12; UNC by 14; and a UCLA team that went to the Sweet 16 by 39. They beat the Cards by 8.

Looks like Louisville and Pitino really laid down in that one.

We played ugly to keep the score respectable.

SuCkS plays their absolute best game against the Cards. Couple that with the
FT discrepancy, its a tall task beating those clowns, well in COruppT arena.

No his window of beating them is steadily closing and it's crazy how fans have the UK football loser mentality when it comes to when we play them in basketball. We've left two titles on the table because Pitino forgets how to coach when he faces his old school. The "That game don't matter because it's a December non conference game" ppl are in denial and act like they haven't sent two of our best teams home in March/April.

Too many fans have developed battered wife syndrome ever since cal arrived in Lexington.
The 2012 team lost to a UK team that was the best team in the country and gave them one of their hardest tests. We didn't bow down at all. We simply lost to a better team. People keep saying that the 2014 Russ team would have won a championship if they got past UK but that is debatable. Yes they were talented but the team had serious issues closing out games because the offense was being run by Russ who played erratic at the end of tight games. He did it all season. If the game was close it was no telling what would have happened.

I do think that we match up with UK pretty well this year and have a pretty good chance at beating them. The issue is how the game will be called. ISU got hosed at UK. The officiating was blatantly one sided and Uk would have been in a dogfight had the game been called evenly. If our game is called the same way winning will be pretty hard.

I do love to beat UK but I don't think its the most important goal of our season. Fans who get overly worked up about tend to be the ones who are obnoxious when we do win.

I only posted this after watching a UK team that looks very average and beatable after six games. There's nothing UK about me at all so Cue can save that nonsense. Kerry don't you want to start winning the bball game too?

Of course.
Coach Pitino could at least- least protect home court against them.
I'd argue he should be 4-3, 5-2 the last 7 games against SuCkS, yet he freezes up.
Big blew plays their best against the Cards, while UofL plays their worst.

Alot has to do with coaching. The doubling terrence jones with a 6'4 guard, while
jorts goes off like Jordan was so pathetic.

Whether uofk is average or elite, other teams find ways to beat them. Why can't UofL.
No excuses.

Reactions: LockdownCard
Refs can't get any worst than the MSU game
Every team is going to have to get use to the new emphasis that is being placed on the game. The player with the ball has to be given uninhibited movement. There has been a lot of cheap fouls in all the games I have watched. Until coaches and players adjust that will continue. Eventually, the collage game will be a cheap version of the NBA all offense no defense until the last couple minutes.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
It's not just "experience". With time also comes maturity, desire, commitment, and/or discipline. You may want to trade the occasional 5-star kid for that.

"Elite program", my a$$...

I agree with Zipp on this. Even the 2012 UK team doesn't cruise to that title without Darius Miller. Plus that team had Jones and Lamb as holdovers from a team that made a run to the Final Four the year prior.

The 2013 team started over - lots of freshman talent but had nothing else - and on top of that Goodwin and Poythress were terribly overrated, and once Noel got hurt the one great talent they had was gone.

It goes back to the whole Siva > Wall, Siva > Knight, Siva > Teague faux arguments that used to be brought up by moronic UK fans. In a vacuum, Siva was not "better" than any of those guys. But ultimately Siva delivered about the same amount of success to U of L as those 3 combined did to UK. Cal has made his bed - he is going to try and reload every year and due to the sheer talent gap he has on most teams, UK will always be in contention at the end. But as long as they have teams that lack upperclassman grit, determination, downright will to not lose, they will be ripe to get picked off by a less talented, but more experienced team (see Wisconsin, UConn.)

I'll elaborate a bit more on my post, and furthering why I agree with Zipp;

I don't think the fact that a kid is a one and done talent makes him a bad kid. For the most part, these are all guys who want to win and do good things in the community in the short time they are around. Most of them even come back for camps, charity events, etc. Yes, even as big a headcase as Cousins proved to be on the court at times, he does good things.

But when it comes down to brass tacks, who really has more at stake in a single elimination tournament? The senior who has given 4 years of his life to a school and is going to enter the workforce or maybe head overseas when the tournament ends? Or the guy who has been in town for 6 months and is off to collect a few million bucks a year for the next 3-4 years (minimum.) Both guys want to win, but one of them has more at stake and more invested than the other guy does.

The UofL fans that say it doesn't matter, it's an early season OOCgame, it's UK's super bowl, we're eyeing the big prize this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things, are all just weak excuses because we've lost so many times they don't expect to win. These same people can't wait to brag about our record against them in football (spare me the it's only a 12 game season so it means more, win all the conference games and it doesn't matter anymore than basketball unless we're good enough to be in the playoffs) They've owned us, admit it. People around here like to think our rivalry is one of the best in the country, it's means something to win for MOST fans of both sides, some people look for excuses to avoid reality. I'm not a Pitino fan at all, but you really can't argue with his overall success, but Cal owns him and if you think he's ok with that you're avoiding reality again, Rick would love for the record to be in our favor.. Quit making excuses and except it, you sound like slapdick fans.

Of course.
Coach Pitino could at least- least protect home court against them.
I'd argue he should be 4-3, 5-2 the last 7 games against SuCkS, yet he freezes up.
Big blew plays their best against the Cards, while UofL plays their worst.

Alot has to do with coaching. The doubling terrence jones with a 6'4 guard, while
jorts goes off like Jordan was so pathetic.

Whether uofk is average or elite, other teams find ways to beat them. Why can't UofL.
No excuses.
Protecting home court every other year would be nice.

The UofL fans that say it doesn't matter, it's an early season OOCgame, it's UK's super bowl, we're eyeing the big prize this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things, are all just weak excuses because we've lost so many times they don't expect to win. These same people can't wait to brag about our record against them in football (spare me the it's only a 12 game season so it means more, win all the conference games and it doesn't matter anymore than basketball unless we're good enough to be in the playoffs) They've owned us, admit it. People around here like to think our rivalry is one of the best in the country, it's means something to win for MOST fans of both sides, some people look for excuses to avoid reality. I'm not a Pitino fan at all, but you really can't argue with his overall success, but Cal owns him and if you think he's ok with that you're avoiding reality again, Rick would love for the record to be in our favor.. Quit making excuses and except it, you sound like slapdick fans.
This ×10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT