ADVERTISEMENT

If CSS struggles to beat USF or even worse loses, will your thoughts change about the program?

They have a legit shot at winning next 3. They do that the Pitt game is another huge opportunity. More worried about South Florida than BC or Virginia because their offenses are just blah.

Pitt sucks. I don't care about their ranking. They suck. They barely beat a very very bad WVU team at home. Louisville is not good but if someone could give Satterfield a few cups of coffee and if First Down Brown can conjure up a UCF-type performance then that game is very winnable.

Pitt sucks. I don't care about their ranking. They suck. They barely beat a very very bad WVU team at home. Louisville is not good but if someone could give Satterfield a few cups of coffee and if First Down Brown can conjure up a UCF-type performance then that game is very winnable.
I agree, I hope we win. I just have ZERO faith in this coaching staff from top to bottom. They have repeatedly "snatched defeat from the jaws of victory."

Reactions: EKYCard643
As I stated above. You could say the same thing as USF vs BYU... it’s not always cut and dry, Florida’s QB is god awful but a freak athlete that they won’t let use his legs because I guess he is banged up.
BYU is pretty good. I would definitely say better than Florida. My point is if the all mighty wildcats struggled to beat Florida and USF should have beaten Florida then USF isn’t going to be easy like everybody thinks.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
We know you have a Brohmance with that dude.
The undisciplined way his players and he gave the Syracuse game away with unsportsmanlike penalties after they had the game won was atrocious and an embarrassment. It’s rare to see a team’s lack of self control hand a game to their opponent but Brohm’s team did just that. Be careful what you wish for.
And we know that - for whatever reason - you are a Brohm hater. This is not about one game - the Syracuse one or any other. This is about what is best for the program moving forward and clearly we disagree about that. As I said before, no fan who knows the first thing about football could objectively say that UofL is headed in an upward trajectory with Satterfield. In his entire time as a HC, he has ONE win over a top 20 program - that being weak forrest. During a shorter time span, Brohm has SIX wins over top 20 programs - including two against teams that were ranked #2 at the time they played. The ability to win big games and have someone that would most likely stay for a lengthy duration is what I wish for.

Based on your comments, it seems clear that you are good with the current state of the program and wish for continued mediocrity.

Boise isn’t a top 25 program either. Louisville rarely loses head coaches to even or worse program.

I really wish Brohm would of taken the job 4 years ago I think the fanbase would of been much more patient. Timing was perfect.

They have a legit shot at winning next 3. They do that the Pitt game is another huge opportunity. More worried about South Florida than BC or Virginia because their offenses are just blah.
That was kind of my point about Boise St. The coaches that have left - in that specific example Charlie Strong - went to programs that were bigger, better programs with more tradition or, the NFL. UofL has never lost a coach to a worse program - at some point though the HC carousel has to stop spinning every four years.

I think UofL wins the game with little drama but I do think this will be a much better game than most of our fan base is willing to admit. I don't see this being a 3+ touchdown win. USF can run the ball and we're terrible against the run. If they can grind clock and we give them a turnover in a bad spot or multiple turnovers they could pull this one out. Lot of "ifs" though.

+14.5 is very tempting..... I may throw a couple of bucks on USF to cover that. I see this as a 7-14 point win.
There is a special place in hell for fans who bet against their team. Just saying is all...

There is a special place in hell for fans who bet against their team. Just saying is all...
lol...I know. Technically I'm not betting against my team. I rarely ever gamble anyway and I don't think I've ever put money on UofL to lose, just not cover some spreads. I've dabbled in some games here recently with pretty good luck. 14.5 is tempting though. We haven't played an actual "good" game of football since Duke last year and that was 5 games ago and I feel like for us to beat USF by more than 14.5 we'd have to play pretty good.

Some of you guys are being disingenuous about USF. Before the season, they were a cupcake and a obvious Cards win, but now after playing the tremendously overrated Florida team close, they're suddenly the Bulls of old.

First of all, Florida was unranked in the preseason and after their opening win over the obvious overrated Utah Utes, they went all the way to #12. I mean when did beating Utah in your home stadium become such a monumental victory?

The Gators came back to reality and lost at home against UK, a team they have owned forever. Their QB is a terrible passer and is the sole reason they lost to UK.

They have way more recruited talent than USF but the Florida QB again single handlely kept USF in the game with his poor play. The Gators remained ranked at #20 but they will fall out for good when the lose badly to Tennessee Saturday.

USF has been not just bad but terrible the past four seasons and although they did pick up a QB transfer, they still were picked near the bottom of their conference. Louisville beat a much better Central Florida team on the road and had FSU beat before another 4th quarter collapse.

USF is a big underdog for a reason and of course anything can happen in sports, but Louisville should have their way with the Bulls Saturday.

Reactions: Louis III
No doubt about it, with us sitting at 1-2, this game against USF is a very important game that we need to win. I’m not so concerned about whether we struggle to win or not….

Even a close win could be a springboard to a successful season, as long as there are no key injuries and some younger players make key plays that give them the confidence to be vital contributors the rest of the year.
No doubt about it, with us sitting at 1-2, this game against USF is a very important game that we need to win. I’m not so concerned about whether we struggle to win or not….

Even a close win could be a springboard to a successful season, as long as there are no key injuries and some younger players make key plays that give them the confidence to be vital contributors the rest of the year.
Hey dude didn’t you use to be the moderator? Couple years back the night we lost to UK talking about instate recruiting I said well that didn’t help your recruiting! I guess cause i used the word your instead of ours you banned me! Man I was pissed off I guess you thought I was a UK fan

That was kind of my point about Boise St. The coaches that have left - in that specific example Charlie Strong - went to programs that were bigger, better programs with more tradition or, the NFL. UofL has never lost a coach to a worse program - at some point though the HC carousel has to stop spinning every four years.
I think coaches leave because they don’t believe they can sustain success at Louisville. Of all the coaches Howard believed Louisville could be a top level program and he still left.

People thinks it only about money nope money is their security blanket.
1) Can they recruit at said place?
2) Are fans really supportive of the team?
3) Can they genuinely play for conference titles and national championship?
4)Does the Admin support their vision?

If the answer is yes to all those coaches will stay longer until an opportunity comes up where they fill even better about those questions.

This staff is on track to land a historic class at Louisville. This is a rare, some would say unicorn, class is at Louisville. It sends a message you can recruit to Louisville. This is why this year is so important for this staff. It is also why it is incredibly frustrating to watch the team come out flat and short in 3 games.

My opinion keep him if he gets to 6 wins and keeps class in tact you keep him. Class starts falling apart move on even at 6 wins. DUDES matter then coaching matters. No DUDES doesn’t matter who the coach is.

Hey dude didn’t you use to be the moderator? Couple years back the night we lost to UK talking about instate recruiting I said well that didn’t help your recruiting! I guess cause i used the word your instead of ours you banned me! Man I was pissed off I guess you thought I was a UK fan
Never been a moderator, so I didn’t ban you. And I certainly wouldn’t ban anyone for making a point about how important that UK game is for in-state recruiting.

I see what you’re saying about the unfortunate use of the word “your”. That would definitely make the moderator think you were a UK fan, posting that after a.UK victory!

I think coaches leave because they don’t believe they can sustain success at Louisville. Of all the coaches Howard believed Louisville could be a top level program and he still left.

If the answer is yes to all those coaches will stay longer until an opportunity comes up where they fill even better about those questions.

This staff is on track to land a historic class at Louisville. This is a rare, some would say unicorn, class is at Louisville. It sends a message you can recruit to Louisville. This is why this year is so important for this staff. It is also why it is incredibly frustrating to watch the team come out flat and short in 3 games.

My opinion keep him if he gets to 6 wins and keeps class in tact you keep him. Class starts falling apart move on even at 6 wins. DUDES matter then coaching matters. No DUDES doesn’t matter who the coach is.
Just because Strong left because Texas gets what they want doesn’t mean Louisville isn’t a destination program. It all depends on the coach himself imo because Louisville has everything needed to make the playoffs right here.

Just because Strong left because Texas gets what they want doesn’t mean Louisville isn’t a destination program. It all depends on the coach himself imo because Louisville has everything needed to make the playoffs right here.
Exactly.

John L left a CUSA version of Louisville for Big stem Michigan State.

Bobby flirted with a few places, but the man left us with Brian Brohm and a team that just won the Orange Bowl. He didn’t leave for any job, he left to coach Mike Vick in his prime.

Charlie turned down places like Tennessee. Then Texas came calling. Remember in 2013 when they called, Texas had won a title in the 2005-06 season and made it back in 2009-10 season. That’s a destination job that’s hard to turn down. But he did leave us with a great roster and plenty of recruiting momentum.

Those circumstances were all very different. But it comes down to making the right hire after the great coach leaves.

Just say in 2014 we do a coaching search and here’s who we could’ve gotten.

Pat Narduzzi, great Coordinator at Michigan State. Would’ve kept it going and I bet he’d still be here.

Tom Herman, an Urban Meyer guy to replace Charlie? He might have taken us to the ACC title with the roster he would’ve inherited. At that point, if he saw what he would’ve had and didn’t have to rebuild? Maybe he stays.

The problem has been the rebuild or climb, then they want a new challenge. Charlie had to clean up Krags mess and that takes a lot of effort and buy-in. He saw us at the lowest and saw Texas as easier to get it done. Whereas just say a Herman takes over and jump starts the recruiting with the ready to win roster in the ACC, maybe he doesn’t leave as our profile rises.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
Oh, we'll definitely win tomorrow. Then the rest of the season will be a win here, some losses there, basically, the same it's been the last two seasons. Consistently inconsistent is the Satterfield way.

Reactions: BPGhost
Louisville is not a destination program except for the right person - honestly no program is. When you have guys leaving notre dame for another college job, you know every school is a stepping stone. You have to get a quality coach with a reason to stay - and then it has to work. Finding a needle in a haystack seems easy by comparison.

Louisville is not a destination program except for the right person - honestly no program is. When you have guys leaving notre dame for another college job, you know every school is a stepping stone. You have to get a quality coach with a reason to stay - and then it has to work. Finding a needle in a haystack seems easy by comparison.
Sometimes it’s timing too.

Luke Fickell was a perfect candidate last year for programs like Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, and USC. But Cincy made the playoffs and he would’ve had to quit on his team in the playoffs.

Say that we were actually in the championship chase in 2013, maybe Charlie doesn’t think it’s the time to leave. Instead, at the time, we were in a place where even if we would’ve won all of our games that we still wouldn’t have gotten in the BCS title game.

Although we were ACC bound, Charlie probably thought a Sugar Bowl win and move to the ACC was the ceiling here in the moment and Texas was his shot at title.

Sometimes it’s timing too.

Luke Fickell was a perfect candidate last year for programs like Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, and USC. But Cincy made the playoffs and he would’ve had to quit on his team in the playoffs.

Say that we were actually in the championship chase in 2013, maybe Charlie doesn’t think it’s the time to leave. Instead, at the time, we were in a place where even if we would’ve won all of our games that we still wouldn’t have gotten in the BCS title game.

Although we were ACC bound, Charlie probably thought a Sugar Bowl win and move to the ACC was the ceiling here in the moment and Texas was his shot at title.
Charlie was also banging Blue’s wife. The timing was perfect for him to leave. The destination wasn’t.

• Wow
Never been a moderator, so I didn’t ban you. And I certainly wouldn’t ban anyone for making a point about how important that UK game is for in-state recruiting.

I see what you’re saying about the unfortunate use of the word “your”. That would definitely make the moderator think you were a UK fan, posting that after a.UK victor
Sorry my bad!

Reactions: PushupMan

Money and fan support! Our fickle ass fans expect 10-2 every year. Look at VT last night. 2-1, lost to ODU and a sellout against WV! Our fans remind me of UK fans 1990-2012. Pitiful!!

Our fickle ass fans built a stadium without public assistance. Our fickle ass fans took a program that nearly got shuttered to a Power 5 conference.
We were that 35k-40k faithful diehards.

I believe we still have that. But we’ve expanded that 23k seats that stay empty 95% of the time.

Bad optics. The expansions, for the sake of corporate dollars, created that.

IMO that is not going to change. We’ve had very good teams with just above average attendance.

Our fickle ass fans built a stadium without public assistance. Our fickle ass fans took a program that nearly got shuttered to a Power 5 conference.
To play devil's advocate here: What have they (fans) done lately? How many sell outs and 60K crowds have the fans showed up for lately? Any? Any at all?

RC is right in his comments and will be until 60K show up for each and every game.

That is what the blue blood programs of FB do. The past support got us to where the possibility of 60K crowds could happen.

Alas, it was a dream turned into a nightmare that the fans grumble about after every home game. Attendance...empty red seats. Truth bites hard...sad to say that is where the fickle UofL fanbase is until they show up and prove otherwise.

I don't see this being a 3+ touchdown win. USF can run the ball and we're terrible against the run. If they can grind clock and we give them a turnover in a bad spot or multiple turnovers they could pull this one out. Lot of "ifs" though.

+14.5 is very tempting..... I may throw a couple of bucks on USF to cover that. I see this as a 7-14 point win.
DOH!

We were that 35k-40k faithful diehards.

I believe we still have that. But we’ve expanded that 23k seats that stay empty 95% of the time.

Bad optics. The expansions, for the sake of corporate dollars, created that.

IMO that is not going to change. We’ve had very good teams with just above average attendance.
UofL has never had that many “diehards” - maybe 25K at the most.

Some of you guys are being disingenuous about USF. Before the season, they were a cupcake and a obvious Cards win, but now after playing the tremendously overrated Florida team close, they're suddenly the Bulls of old.

First of all, Florida was unranked in the preseason and after their opening win over the obvious overrated Utah Utes, they went all the way to #12. I mean when did beating Utah in your home stadium become such a monumental victory?

The Gators came back to reality and lost at home against UK, a team they have owned forever. Their QB is a terrible passer and is the sole reason they lost to UK.

They have way more recruited talent than USF but the Florida QB again single handlely kept USF in the game with his poor play. The Gators remained ranked at #20 but they will fall out for good when the lose badly to Tennessee Saturday.

USF has been not just bad but terrible the past four seasons and although they did pick up a QB transfer, they still were picked near the bottom of their conference. Louisville beat a much better Central Florida team on the road and had FSU beat before another 4th quarter collapse.

USF is a big underdog for a reason and of course anything can happen in sports, but Louisville should have their way with the Bulls Saturday.
Like I was saying, USF is a cupcake on this schedule. Cards fans should have seen this easy win coming but many just get too worked up.

This season might have started better if we played USF the first game. Unlike Clemson and UK who have played 3 cupcakes in their first 4 games.

What’s the opinion should said class not materialize or, lose key components? DeAndre Moore (second highest recruit - WR) just announced he’s taking an official visit to Texas. He’s a big piece of that class - should he decommit - combined with lackluster team performance - it might open the floodgates.

So again, if the class turns into less than advertised and we go 6-6 - then what for Satterfield?

This big win today should keep some folks quiet for awhile. 2-2 go cards!
Just curious - what makes it a “big win”?

The margin?

Glad for the win for sure but, do you really feel as though the program has turned the corner based on today or, was this more of a case of UofL doing what they were supposed to do with an overmatched opponent?

Reactions: SpotHogCard

The margin?

Glad for the win for sure but, do you really feel as though the program has turned the corner based on today or, was this more of a case of UofL doing what they were supposed to do with an overmatched opponent?
According to many the Bulls weren't supposed to be a overmatched opponent. I think this Cards team needed an easy game 1 which most everyone, including the team and the coaches believed was the case against Syracuse.

I now believe that game was a outlier and the Cards now have their feet under them. The FSU lost was a heartbreaker but they played better than they did at UCF.

Still have to keep improving with the schedule ahead and most importantly, stay away from bad injuries.

According to many the Bulls weren't supposed to be a overmatched opponent. I think this Cards team needed an easy game 1 which most everyone, including the team and the coaches believed was the case against Syracuse.

I now believe that game was a outlier and the Cards now have their feet under them. The FSU lost was a heartbreaker but they played better than they did at UCF.

Still have to keep improving with the schedule ahead and most importantly, stay away from bad injuries.
The double digit spread is more indicative of the matchup than anything posted on a message board.

I hope that you’re right but honestly, outside of constant defensive pressure, I didn’t see anything special from the offense. Certainly nothing different that I feel will allow them the same type of results against a more quality opponent.

The margin?

40 to 3 bro....against a team that almost beat Florida. Enough said. Our losses to undefeated teams.

You need to look around.......how many fans did we have today? My point is VT hasn't been relevant and they still are nearly sold out most games. That's my point!!

Reactions: BPGhost
The double digit spread is more indicative of the matchup than anything posted on a message board.

I hope that you’re right but honestly, outside of constant defensive pressure, I didn’t see anything special from the offense. Certainly nothing different that I feel will allow them the same type of results against a more quality opponent.
There was a lot of good that happened in the UCF, FSU and USF games. They have to keep improving. They have to build on this win and carry it into BC.

Look around the country parody is setting in. The margin for error is small for a large number of teams. KY looses last night without a NFL QB. Oklahoma gets torched by a running QB and dynamic running back who lost to Tulane last week. MTSU beats the daylights out of Miami.

Appreciate the wins because getting them isn’t easy. This is going to prove the be the most difficult schedule in the history of Louisville football. Syracuse and FSU may get ranked. Wake-Pitt-Clemson-NC State-UK all legit top 25 teams. UCF and JMU are legit solid teams. Virginia has dudes.

Reactions: 2330859
You need to look around.......how many fans did we have today? My point is VT hasn't been relevant and they still are nearly sold out most games. That's my point!!
Have you ever seen Blacksburg Virginia? Not a whole lot to do there on a Saturday. Certainly nothing like Louisville. Not a good comparison at all.

Have you ever seen Blacksburg Virginia? Not a whole lot to do there on a Saturday. Certainly nothing like Louisville. Not a good comparison at all.
I think you are missing my point, they are just a recent example. My main point is if we aren't a 9-3 or better type of team you are lucky to get 40k! That's BS!! We wanna be included as a top tier program, but our overall support isn't close.

Reactions: 2330859
And we know that - for whatever reason - you are a Brohm hater. This is not about one game - the Syracuse one or any other. This is about what is best for the program moving forward and clearly we disagree about that. As I said before, no fan who knows the first thing about football could objectively say that UofL is headed in an upward trajectory with Satterfield. In his entire time as a HC, he has ONE win over a top 20 program - that being weak forrest. During a shorter time span, Brohm has SIX wins over top 20 programs - including two against teams that were ranked #2 at the time they played. The ability to win big games and have someone that would most likely stay for a lengthy duration is what I wish for.

Based on your comments, it seems clear that you are good with the current state of the program and wish for continued mediocrity.
I’m not a Brohm hater. I just don’t agree with the fans who want to ship Satt out on a rail and usher Brohm in with no search. Plus, I think we should allow the season to transpire before we fire Satt especially with his 2023 recruiting class.

I’m not a Brohm hater. I just don’t agree with the fans who want to ship Satt out on a rail and usher Brohm in with no search. Plus, I think we should allow the season to transpire before we fire Satt especially with his 2023 recruiting class.
We have been searching for a football coach as long as I have been a fan... before even Corso. We thought Bobby was the man... well we know how that went.

I think you are missing my point, they are just a recent example. My main point is if we aren't a 9-3 or better type of team you are lucky to get 40k! That's BS!! We wanna be included as a top tier program, but our overall support isn't close.
I don't know what the answer is to this question. 90% of schools have this issue though. Let UK go back to winning 4 and 5 games a year and see how quickly that stadium empties out. Go look at UCLA, Miami, WV, even USC pre-Riley etc....there are maybe 10-15 programs that fill or get close to filling their stadiums no matter the quality of the team. Nearly all of them are SEC and Big 10 programs. I even question some of them. Bama wasn't selling out pre-Saban.

Louisville is a young, shaky program in the scheme of college football. We don't have the generational growth of having consistent successful UofL football ingrained into our fan base. Its hard to get people to care about mediocre football. It just is. Nobody is getting excited to play UVA at a chilly Noon kickoff when you're 3-3 or something and your best case scenario is playing a G5 school in a embarrassing sounding bowl.

Its hard to get your family or friends year in and year out get pumped and revolve your fall around watching your team hopefully finish .500. There's a small handful of great seasons in our history but no long stretches of good to great football that would establish a family tradition of "its Saturday, Louisville's playing and this is what we do." Does that make sense? So until Louisville football can build and maintain a consistently relevant and interesting football program the fan base is going to be as flaky and unpredictable as our program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT