ADVERTISEMENT

I never liked him, but............

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
After time to think and reflect, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Those of you that have known me over the years on the board know that I've never liked Pitino. Didn't like him at UK and didn't like him here.

I never doubted his coaching ability. It was HIM that I didnt like. I always thought of him as an arrogant hypocrite. Early in his career here he was booting players right and left while doing his Sypher thing on the side. He got caught at that and tried to portray himself as a victim.

The biggest micro manager in all of college hoops had no clue strippers had free access to Minardi Hall for 4 years, but he had no clue. Yet ask him any players body fat percentage and he knew that immediately. He knew every time a player missed curfew. But when it came to knowing the important/illegal things, always portrayed himself the victim.

When this FBI thing first broke, he adamantly denied anything and everything, then we find out he's coach 2.

I never bought any of it. However................. I have to honestly say I NEVER thought he was this dirty. I'm still in shock over how dirty everything really was, and Pitino was right in the middle of it all. Dirty as they come.

I think this will turn out to be the biggest scandal in the history of college basketball, but we're always the first name mentioned despite all the other schools already known to be involved and those that aren't known yet.

Pretty much thanks to one scum bag that had other scum bags taking the fall for him until he couldnt anymore. Hope Pitino and Andre McGee wind up sharing an apartment together someday. Seems like a fitting end to me.

I like your post Kratz. It's really hard to argue with any part of what you expressed. I think we're all stunned at just how dirty Pitino turned out to be, and that's the part that really stings the most. He flat out lied for the last time to us on Tuesday as this story was breaking. Acting shocked and stunned like the rest of us, and all along he was coach-2. He knew. He was a part of it. He simply knew which means he probably knew about it all.

Now the real question is how much does he REALLY know about it? I don't mean just at UofL. I mean ALL of it? Who does HE have dirt on? How willing will he be to share that dirt with the FBI? Will he just keep his mouth shut and ride off into the sunset? Like you said, his arrogance is on display most every time he opens his mouth. Will his bruised ego allow him to just go away without fighting back? Just how big of a snake is the guy? Hopefully he has a come to Jesus moment and just comes clean about it all. Hope he helps the FBI blow it all to hell and back.

Reactions: TopCatCal
Kratz, I think if you're looking for some perspective, take a look at the Joe Paterno story. That guy's end is the most shocking turnaround I've ever seen in sports. Unlike Pitino, Paterno was absolutely revered and not just by Penn State people. He was THE example of how to do things right. He built his school a library. They put up a statue of him while he was still alive. Then what happened, happened and all of that went out the window.

After Paterno, it's not as hard for me to believe how Pitino turned out to be. I think to a certain extent, these guys are products of the system. It's a very bad, broken and corrupt system, so it will never surprise me again to find out the ones at the top are this.

We have a while to go to see if this scandal blows over or if it really does leave a mark on the world. It has a ways to go to compete with the point-shaving scandals of the 1950's, but we're just at the start so who knows?

Wasn't he saying not to long ago that shoe companies were ruining college basketball? He must have had a guilty conscience then.

I find it really interesting that he continues to publically deny knowing. With investigation ongoing he is going into full denial almost exactly like all those baseball players did during the steroid era..

Reactions: TopCatCal
Wasn't he saying not to long ago that shoe companies were ruining college basketball? He must have had a guilty conscience then.
The Sporting News or CBSSports had a link to an article that referenced his comments about the shoe companies back in 2014. You can likely still get ir on their NCAA BB page.

The Sporting News or CBSSports had a link to an article that referenced his comments about the shoe companies back in 2014. You can likely still get ir on their NCAA BB page.
He was just trying to play the game most of you guys wanted him to play--get tight with shoe companies. If that was you, congrats on getting your way...

It really is fascinating to see how a certain segment of the fan base was moaning and groaning on getting better players. The same fans that have been complaining about how Cal got these players. I think fans actually started to believe Cal was doing it on the up and up.

The reality is the only way this issue got the attention it needed was because the FBI got involved. The NCAA would have never been able to uncover it. The NCAA is just like MLB during the steroid era, looking the other way until they are forced to address.

Reactions: JohnCard28
I hate to say it...if I was a coach id do the same thing (adidas money).

The hookers, and constantly cheating on your wife says more about his character than funneling money to a 5 star player quite honestly.

He was just trying to play the game most of you guys wanted him to play--get tight with shoe companies. If that was you, congrats on getting your way...
Not at all. I have long felt the shoe companies and AAU circuit were the problem with their 'players' reps". Pitino's hypocrisy and hubris saddens me deeply. He not only has sh_t on a university and fan base but took out the best AD in the country along with him. TCFEBUK indeed.

The thing that blows me away is a public figure willing to be embarrassed in public time after time after time. I've always backed Rick, was glad when we got him. But I've grown tired, it's time we turned the page and move on. He probably was only going to be around about another five years tops anyway. It's a shame he had to leave the program in shambles!

Yes, it's a shame that he's leaving the PROGRAM in shambles, but he's earned every bit of what his legacy will be. Unfortunately, he built that bad legacy at the expense of my favorite school.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I bet Ricky read the posts in this board and decided to take some of the posters advice.o_O
You're as bad as Ricky Zipp, always deflecting, never taking responsibility..

I have rarely gotten on another teams site and have never posted on them as I wouldn't like a "fan" of another program posting on my teams site trying to get a ruckus going. That being said, this scandal or whatever you want to call it is much bigger than my teams fans trying to get bragging rights against your teams fans or vice versa. This is going to affect our state, not just a rivalry.

I believe most anyone who has followed the NCAA and their rulings and findings knows just how piss poorly a run outfit it is. Always preaching the student-athlete angle, what's best for the student-athlete, and we're here for the student-athlete, blah, blah, blah. At the same time we have a major, high profile university not only having "easy" classes for these student-athletes to remain academically eligible, but just flat-out blatant classes that don't exist. I won't mention any names but they are one of y'all's conference brethren.

Sorry to get off track, but back to the point why I felt like posting on your message board. We both have had Ricky lead our programs so we both know what he is like, how he acts, and how he responds to certain things. Although I might agree that he doesn't actually spend hours on these message boards like we fans do, but rest assured - he knows what's being said. He has someone letting him know what everybody says about him. Case in point, sitting directly behind UK's bench years ago in the SEC Tournament a fan a row behind us yelled "Put Brassow back in"!!! Pitino turned and yelled back "I'm the GD coach here" 20 seconds later at the next dead ball, he yanked Brassow's jersey and said get your ass back in there. He always knows what is being said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have rarely gotten on another teams site and have never posted on them as I wouldn't like a "fan" of another program posting on my teams site trying to get a ruckus going. That being said, this scandal or whatever you want to call it is much bigger than my teams fans trying to get bragging rights against your teams fans or vice versa. This is going to affect our state, not just a rivalry.

I believe most anyone who has followed the NCAA and their rulings and findings knows just how piss poorly a run outfit it is. Always preaching the student-athlete angle, what's best for the student-athlete, and we're here for the student-athlete, blah, blah, blah. At the same time we have a major, high profile university not only having "easy" classes for these student-athletes to remain academically eligible, but just flat-out blatant classes that don't exist. I won't mention any names but they are one of y'all's conference brethren.

Sorry to get off track, but back to the point why I felt like posting on your message board. We both have had Ricky lead our programs so we both know what he is like, how he acts, and how he responds to certain things. Although I might agree that he doesn't actually spend hours on these message boards like we fans do, but rest assured - he knows what's being said. He has someone letting him know what everybody says about him. Case in point, sitting directly behind UK's bench years ago in the SEC Tournament a fan a row behind us yelled "Put Brassow back in"!!! Pitino turned and yelled back "I'm the GD coach here" 20 seconds later at the next dead ball, he yanked Brassow's jersey and said get your ass back in there. He always knows what is being said.
My comment was a 100 % sarcasm...Ricky does not give two shits what the fans think, especially message board fans. He might take stock in a deep pockets boosters thoughts, but I doubt it..

Ricky lives in Ricky's own world. And that world just got a whole lot smaller and whole lot lonleyer .. Karma is a bitch Ricky..

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT