ADVERTISEMENT

Head Scratcher...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
I'm a Jurich guy and always will be, but today's prepared statement concerning this whole WF fiasco is a real head scratcher. I cannot wrap my head around basically a complete "blow-off" of the situation.

To say the least, as a huge fan and graduate of the University of Louisville I've grown tired of controversy. We can't seem to get out of our own way.

I'm not going anywhere, but damn I'm tired, tired of the nonsense and embarrassment!

Reactions: cards_rock
I believe this is absolutely nothing and won't amount to anything.

What makes it "something" I guess, is all of the other stuff this university has been through in the last decade. It would be nice to go a year or two without any controversies.

Jurich is great at many things. Many things. PR is not one of them. He has a zero fvcks given approach to basically everything. That's great in a lot of ways, not so great in others.

By the time the bowl game rolls around nobody will even remember this happened. Is it a shitty look? Sure - but nobody is under the illusion anymore that college athletics is a squeaky clean enterprise. It's a business, plain and simple. I think most people treat it that way.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I too am literally embarrassed to be a UofL fan right now. Just one thing after another. Katina Powell isn't even settled with the NCAA and we already have a double shooting and at best an ethics problem in the football program. At worst a flat out cheater.

I get why people are upset, but in the end this is a dirty sport. Everyone spends time in a bad light. Check out the police blotter at every school in the SEC.

Anything interesting going on at Mississippi these days? What about Baylor?

These things happen everywhere. You have to take the bad with the good.

No you don't. There's plenty of schools right now where nothings going except they're going to school and playing games.

Just because we're "not as bad as Baylor" , doesn't make us choir boys.

We don't have to, and we shouldn't have to accept this. I love UofL, love TJ, but in the end he's the captain and he HAS to get a handle on this stuff and get it reined in.

3 seperate investigations to one level or another that all made national news in about a year: Katina Powell, The double shooting, and now the Wake Leaks. Completely unacceptable.

And if anyone thinks there's nothing wrong with all of that, you need a reality check.

Sullivan got it right in the CJ this morning. WF knew their plays had been compromised. That's why they didn't run them. To, in effect, say "no harm no foul" and then complain that he regrets that it puts undue focus on the staff as they prepare for a Bowl ignores the fact that several of our coaches cheated. I'm very disappointed in my alma mater this morning.

The score was 12-10 going into the 4th quarter with Wake Forrest owning the 12 points. If the Cardinal coaching staff was cheating, they weren't doing a very good job of it. I know the final score looks bloated, but the Cardinals exploded for 34 in the 4th quarter which included a pick 6.

I'm not buying it. We waited 3 quarters to cheat? LOL. OK.

The score was 12-10 going into the 4th quarter with Wake Forrest owning the 12 points. If the Cardinal coaching staff was cheating, they weren't doing a very good job of it. I know the final score looks bloated, but the Cardinals exploded for 34 in the 4th quarter which included a pick 6.

I'm not buying it. We waited 3 quarters to cheat? LOL. OK.

No one is saying we benefited. We cheated because one of our coaches took the plays from the WF radio guy. That coach then shared the plays with defense coaches. WF didn't run the plays because they knew we might have them.

That is cheating in my book.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
No one is saying we benefited. We cheated because one of our coaches took the plays from the WF radio guy. That coach then shared the plays with defense coaches. WF didn't run the plays because they knew we might have them.

I'll admit if what you say is true then it's not cool, but you sound like this has been proven 100% and everyone is guilty as charged. Is that actually the case or is this another example of how 'media' works in this country now?

EDIT: I just saw the quote from Jurich on ESPN, and i understand the outlandish moral outrage now. We got a play or two that we already had practiced for anyway but since that couple of plays was in the hands of the defensive coaches from some WF traitor, we are to crucify the entire coaching staff for accepting the play (or two).

Got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds

They knew TWO PLAYS !
Whats the difference if they figured out the cards on the sidelines?
Should they call timeout and tell WF, we've figured out what the 'Madonna' card means, you need to change it ?!
You dont think teams aren't tryin to figure out what calls Louisville makes ?
Galloway was an idiot to accept them, but alls fair in football and war.
This is on WF and their turncoat, not UofL.

There's still such a variance in how these details could have played out. I wish Galloway or Elrod would speak out. It's not like there's potential illegal activity or NCAA violations like with Andre McGhee, just more of a bad look and perceived poor sportsmanship, so at this point just clarify what happened...

Was it more:
Elrod: "Hey man nice catching up with you. If you guys know what's good for you, you should look out for the Jet Sweep on second and long and the TE waggle on key 3rd downs."

Or...
Elrod: "Lonnie, I've heisted a playbook I'll sell you if the price is right?"

Lonnie: "You bet I'm interested. When can we meet?"

Was it casual or calculated? Casual interaction between friends and former coaching colleagues happen all the time.

Furthermore, I've tried to think about if it was reversed how would I feel? Say it came out after the Houston drubbing by a similar score that Paul Rogers met with an old friend on the Houston staff and tried to talk about practices and potential U of L plays to be ready for. I'd be pissed at Paul. Pissed at Petrino for letting Paul near that information, and still pissed at my team for not being ready to play and getting drubbed because Paul's info shouldn't have really mattered. That's how I would feel. I would not think "oh those scoundrels at Houston".

Ultimately, it's clearly a bad look and I wish the powers that be and individuals involved would share their details, so we can clear the air.... Take disciplinary action if warranted and move on, because right now details are still sketchy and vague.

No you don't. There's plenty of schools right now where nothings going except they're going to school and playing games.

We don't have to, and we shouldn't have to accept this. I love UofL, love TJ, but in the end he's the captain and he HAS to get a handle on this stuff and get it reined in.

3 seperate investigations to one level or another that all made national news in about a year: Katina Powell, The double shooting, and now the Wake Leaks. Completely unacceptable.

And if anyone thinks there's nothing wrong with all of that, you need a reality check.
Yea schools like Iowa and Wisconsin...you would never hear all of these things going on at schools like that. They recruit different kinds of kids though and I think that helps. We take every cast off that we can get our hands on.

There's still such a variance in how these details could have played out. I wish Galloway or Elrod would speak out. It's not like there's potential illegal activity or NCAA violations like with Andre McGhee, just a bad look, so at this point just clarify what happened...

Was it more:
Elrod: "Hey man nice catching up with you. If you guys know what's good for you, you should look out for the Jet Sweep on second and long and the TE waggle on key 3rd downs."

Or...
Elrod: "Lonnie, I've heisted a playbook I'll sell you if the price is right?"

Lonnie: "You bet I'm interested. When can we meet?"

Was it casual or calculated? Casual interaction between friends and former coaching colleagues happen all the time.

Furthermore, I've tried to think about if it was reversed how would I feel? Say it came out after the Houston drubbing by a similar score that Paul Rogers met with an old friend on the Houston staff and tried to talk about practices and potential U of L plays to be ready for. I'd be pissed at Paul. Pissed at Petrino for letting Paul near that information and still pissed at my team for not being ready to play and getting drubbed because Paul's info shouldn't have mattered. That's how I would feel. I would not think "oh those scoundrels at Houston".

Uktimately, it's clearly a bad look and I wish the powers that be and individuals involved would share their details, so we can clear the air.... Take disciplinary action if warranted and move on, because right now details are still sketchy and vague.

I would think if there was any money involved that it would constitute a violation.

Coaches across the country share info on common opponents all the time. Think Rick is giving tips to his son when Minny plays Purdue?

Not saying you are right or wrong but could you provide a list of such schools mentioned above?

Uhhhh........ Indiana, UK, WKU. Anything scandalous about them in the paper or on the net today? Cincinnati is looking for a football coach if you want to call that scandalous. I'm just trying to keep a 100 mile radius here.

Look at the issues one at a time. They are not connected in any real way.
  1. Katina - admittedly this is bad. As far as anyone can tell this was McGee acting on his own. Pitino deserves, and will likely receive, punishment in the form of suspension. Weighing in TJs favor is that he acted swiftly to keep UL out of the post season last year as self-sanction. Looking back, that was a good move - and appropriate.
  2. Shooting - UL players were victims, here, not instigators. These guys should avoid these kinds of situations, but everyone has a right to go anywhere without being shot. This is not a problem with the program, unless you want them to forbid the players ever setting foot off campus or in an environment where they are not supervised. Good luck recruiting to such a place.
  3. Wake- this is NOT spygate. UL did not seek or attempt to receive the info, nor is there any evidence that it was used. There were many teams involved but at the center is a rogue Wake employee. He has been fired. Done.
Though because these things all happened to U L Athletic Department, they seem related, but that is the only common factor. It is tiresome to hear this type of thing, but examination of the facts should make us pause before we call for mass firings.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I too am literally embarrassed to be a UofL fan right now. Just one thing after another. Katina Powell isn't even settled with the NCAA and we already have a double shooting and at best an ethics problem in the football program. At worst a flat out cheater.

Then pick another team.

I'm not embarrassed to be a UofL fan. I'm embarrrassed we have fans like you.

Uhhhh........ Indiana, UK, WKU. Anything scandalous about them in the paper or on the net today? Cincinnati is looking for a football coach if you want to call that scandalous. I'm just trying to keep a 100 mile radius here.

Just waking up didn't know we were sticking to "today"....I guess if you are using a 24 hr window to evaluate college athletic departments ok! Today isn't a great day!

The rest of your post I responded to involved 3 other incidents so I thought you were going beyond today. My bad.

I get why people are upset, but in the end this is a dirty sport. Everyone spends time in a bad light. Check out the police blotter at every school in the SEC.

Anything interesting going on at Mississippi these days? What about Baylor?

These things happen everywhere. You have to take the bad with the good.

True. Fans don't follow all the other programs as closely as they follow their own, so it's difficult to gain perspective.

The reality is, you can't find many successful athletic departments in big time college athletics that carries itself with the moral compass turned on 24/7 with a search warrant.

WF scorned guy provides alleged "plays" and recipients should have called Ghostbusters!!!!!! Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!!!!!!

You mean the same IU that just fired their football coach for trying to subvert the concussion protocol, rush other injured players back to action against medical advice and systematically belittled players for a lack of toughness if they didn't return to action?

Or uk who in the recent past dismissed a player for raping a student and another for having about 10 lbs of pot in his car?

I'd say that's way worse than some conversation about a couple of plays that may or may not have been run.

If this "issue"(which is a serious non-issue) has seriously ruffled your feathers, let's meet up and I'll buy you a drink. Plenty of other things going on in Cardinal athletics, and in life in general, to be concerned about. Don't read too much into this one boys. It's not worth it.

I'm a Jurich guy and always will be, but today's prepared statement concerning this whole WF fiasco is a real head scratcher. I cannot wrap my head around basically a complete "blow-off" of the situation.

To say the least, as a huge fan and graduate of the University of Louisville I've grown tired of controversy. We can't seem to get out of our own way.

I'm not going anywhere, but damn I'm tired, tired of the nonsense and embarrassment!
Totally agree and as you know I am a UofL defender until the end but I have about reached my breaking point. Although I and many have tried to ignore it or excuse it for the last 10 or so years, I have grown tired of the scandals that keep piling up. And these last couple of years have just been non stop. Maybe it was a mistake bringing Bobby back. Maybe we should have dealt with Rick a bit more harshly. I don't know. All I do know is that it looks like Tom has created a culture where this type of thing and many other "wrong" things are acceptable. Obviously I love Tom and would hate to see him go but someone over there needs to publicly reprimand him and possibly even give him some type of suspension or pay cut because this stuff has to stop. Until there is some action that says the university and the athletic deprtment doesn't and won't stand for this, they are just saying this stuff is okay. We'll it ain't okay with me.

Even as much as I don't want to see Tom go, maybe it would be for the best if we all just split. The culture needs to change. I appreciate everything he has done here and I have no doubt he will have left us in a position for the next person to carry this forward. In the end, UofL is and was a great program before Tom and will be after Tom. I hope it can be worked out where he is punished and can stay but I fear the only way to change the culture is to cut off the head. Regardless of what they end up doing, the university HAS to do something.

You mean the same IU that just fired their football coach for trying to subvert the concussion protocol, rush other injured players back to action against medical advice and systematically belittled players for a lack of toughness if they didn't return to action?

Or uk who in the recent past dismissed a player for raping a student and another for having about 10 lbs of pot in his car?

I'd say that's way worse than some conversation about a couple of plays that may or may not have been run.
Do you see the difference there and what e do here???? People were let go and or fired.

Or the IU that employed and empowered a bully for decades who mentally and physically abused players? Why?

Oh. Because he won. Big.

Seriously.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Then pick another team.

I'm not embarrassed to be a UofL fan. I'm embarrrassed we have fans like you.

Same in return to you buddy. I'm ashamed that you put winning above all else. You don't care there's strippers and underaged girls having sex in the dorms for 4 years, not a problem.

A coach gets plays of the opposing team from a buddy and shares it with the rest of the coaches on the defense instead of doing the right thing and giving to his boss and saying "Dude from Wake just gave me this". Roll on with it and sleep well.

I guess I have a sense of ethics, sportsmanship, honesty and fair play. I do things the right way.

If winning is all you care about, have at it. Just know that you and your attitude are what's making the school look bad on a national level.

Look at the issues one at a time. They are not connected in any real way.
  1. Katina - admittedly this is bad. As far as anyone can tell this was McGee acting on his own. Pitino deserves, and will likely receive, punishment in the form of suspension. Weighing in TJs favor is that he acted swiftly to keep UL out of the post season last year as self-sanction. Looking back, that was a good move - and appropriate.
  2. Shooting - UL players were victims, here, not instigators. These guys should avoid these kinds of situations, but everyone has a right to go anywhere without being shot. This is not a problem with the program, unless you want them to forbid the players ever setting foot off campus or in an environment where they are not supervised. Good luck recruiting to such a place.
  3. Wake- this is NOT spygate. UL did not seek or attempt to receive the info, nor is there any evidence that it was used. There were many teams involved but at the center is a rogue Wake employee. He has been fired. Done.
Though because these things all happened to U L Athletic Department, they seem related, but that is the only common factor. It is tiresome to hear this type of thing, but examination of the facts should make us pause before we call for mass firings.

Agree with you on #1

#2. Wait for the whole story to come out. That's all I'm saying for now. There will be more and it probably won't be good for the program.

#3. Yes, it is bad. The information was offered, taken and shared with the defensive staff. That is admitted by UofL. If the whole staff shared it, but didn't report it to higher authority, how can you say it wasn't used. The proper thing would have been for Galloway to go straight to Grantham or BP and say "Elrod just gave me this info. The ball is in your court boss". Galloway has then done what he was supposed to do. Then Grantham or BP should have notified Jurich, and Jurich should have notified Wake that they had a mole. That would have been the proper and ethical thing to do. Had we done that and the story broke, everyone would be talking about how great it was of UofL to notify and help Wake. Model citizens of college athletics. Instead, we're being run through the meat grinder....... again......... Every media outlet in the country is calling us cheaters today. You good with that? I'm not.

Or the IU that employed and empowered a bully for decades who mentally and physically abused players? Why?

Oh. Because he won. Big.

Seriously.

Seriously? What year did Knight get fired again? We're not digging ancient history, we're talking about what's going on right now.

Right now we are still waiting to hear from the NCAA on strippergate.

2 players involved in a shooting with more information yet to come.

Coaching staff that was given plays by an outside source and shared them instead of notifying Wake that they had a mole. The whole nation is viewing us as cheaters

That's all happening TODAY. Make you feel proud to be UofL fan when you go to any major sports site/page and see that we're one of the lead stories and they're all calling us cheaters?

Seriously? What year did Knight get fired again? We're not digging ancient history, we're talking about what's going on right now.

The premise is departments forgive unethical positions to win big. That's not ancient history. It's the tradition of the college athletic industry.

Fans own it too. Win big or else.

I don't want to own all this. I'd be ok if was in isolated incident every few years, but in the here and now we have 3 separate things going on just within the athletic department.

We're on academic probation because of the BOT mess. The BOT mess is an utter embarrassment nationally. Fraud, sloppy book keeping, payments, Bevin stepping in and making an even bigger mess of it. Ramsey stepping down in basic disgrace.

UNC is LOVING all of this. Taking the spotlight off of them big time from an academic and athletic point of view.

Agreed. The "at least we're not covering up rapes" defense isn't exactly a brilliant look. The metric is a bit higher than that.

Reactions: fredburgcard
Do you see the difference there and what e do here???? People were let go and or fired.
And if you want to make a case that Pitino should have been fired, I wouldn't argue with you. My point is, this situation is nothing compared to the items that were mentioned at those two schools.

Reactions: tluck28
Uhhhh........ Indiana, UK, WKU. Anything scandalous about them in the paper or on the net today?
You may want to pick again.

I heard on the radio that Indiana was one of those receiving WF plays.

And they DID lose to WF.

Seems to me having WF's game plan is NOT a good thing.

Reactions: Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT