ADVERTISEMENT

FSU replacing the net

Jun 2, 2001
I just rewatched the game and still dont understand the 10+ minutes of stoppage to deal with the net on their end. All was normal, they go to commercial and when TV comes back there is a stoppage to repair it. I ran it back and when going to commercial break all was normal yet they return and they are working on it. Was it ever discussed on the broadcast what was going on? If so I never heard it.

My son and I discussed this. Do you remember when the shot clock reset itself and didn’t go off? I assumed it was human error but we were wondering if there is some kind of sensor on the rim? I know it sounds far fetched.

Reactions: Cue Card
I don't know either but they sure had a lot of problems with the clock it kind of worried me. I don't know if it was intentional or not but it sure made them look bad.

Announcers didn't really have an explanation either. They would just go back to commercials when it was clear the net would be taking a while. It did make FSU court people look kind of inept, especially after the first guy with pliers was replaced by another guy.

I'll be honest, with the timing of it, and no real explanation, I couldn't help but to think it could've been a ploy to stymie UofL's momentum and help FSU keep their home win streak alive. Lol

I was worried about momentum also and that was the same thing I was thinking. During that time the camera panned on our team in the huddle and they were talking and smiling they were pretty loose which was a good sign.

My son and I discussed this. Do you remember when the shot clock reset itself and didn’t go off? I assumed it was human error but we were wondering if there is some kind of sensor on the rim? I know it sounds far fetched.
Not far fetched at all. I suspect you are right; that they had a sensor go bad and they had to replace it.

It’s what holds the net to the rim. It’s very similar to an electrical wire. They (Spalding) did away with the rim hooks years ago on the high dollar indoor rims. You’ll never see a net hook to hold a net being used in an NCAA game. And, the only approved rim for a D-I NCAA game is a Spalding.

Actually, most high school gyms have done away with the older model rims. It’s a safety thing with the kids standing a chance of getting their fingers hung in the old style net hooks.

It’s what holds the net to the rim. It’s very similar to an electrical wire. They (Spalding) did away with the rim hooks years ago on the high dollar indoor rims. You’ll never see a net hook to hold a net being used in an NCAA game. And, the only approved rim for a D-I NCAA game is a Spalding.

Actually, most high school gyms have done away with the older model rims. It’s a safety thing with the kids standing a chance of getting their fingers hung in the old style net hooks.
Good deal. I honestly didn't know. Never really paid attention to it until that happened during the FSU game.

Still doesn’t explain why the shot clock malfunction. Hard to believe that it’s still controlled by some guy on the sideline checking to see if the ball hit the rim or not. We have the technology...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT