ADVERTISEMENT

From the CJ, Tyra brings in more top donations than anyone n a decade

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
on Tyra's recruiting donations after the position TJ and his failed coaching hires left the university in...
"According to athletic department figures, the last 12 months have been the most productive period for million-dollar deals in at least a decade, and by a wide margin. In coaxing commitments from PNC Bank ($5 million), Kentucky Farm Bureau ($2.5 million), Planet Fitness ($3 million), UPS ($5 million) and L&N Federal Credit Union ($2 million) since last May, Tyra’s seven-figure deals have outstripped every other 12-month period since 2009 by at least $6 million."

so zipp, youve been talking a ton about how tyra is not bringing in money from donors. seems your facts may be off a little

th

I would not call any of these transactions a donation as they involve a quid pro quo, usually naming rights. I would be more interested in the amount of private donations w/o any strings attached during this period of time.

Reactions: zipp and PHCARD
Good perspectives, PH and Boone...

First of all, consider the source. This administration desperately needs good news on the financial front. Why would I be suspicious if they told me something?

Are all or any of these donations unrestricted? Can U of L use the money to offset operating expenses, or have new expenses simply been created that these funds pay for? If we can't pay any bills that come due with this money, what are we gaining?

As I pointed out on the premium site, these donations are cumulative. A $5 million gift from UPS is really $400,000 per year toward $100 million in annual athletics expenses. For the math challenged, that's 0.4% of our annual budget coming from UPS.

I like getting the money, but I remain unconvinced that much of anything has changed yet...

I'd like to see the other side of the ledger where they offset these promotional deals against the payment that they have to make to Schnatter for revoking his naming rights. And, of course, the loss of his annual contributions. Not picking sides, just want to see all of the numbers. This seems to be akin to bragging about selling your house when all that you're doing is turning around to buy a different house.

And I agree with others. What does the fundraising from individual donors look like? I don't know of anyone doing backflips to give UofL money right now.

It all washes out in the financials reported annually which have 3rd party accounting review.

Most hardcore gamblers just wanna talk about their winnings...

Reactions: PHCARD
I'd like to see the other side of the ledger where they offset these promotional deals against the payment that they have to make to Schnatter for revoking his naming rights. And, of course, the loss of his annual contributions. Not picking sides, just want to see all of the numbers. This seems to be akin to bragging about selling your house when all that you're doing is turning around to buy a different house.

And I agree with others. What does the fundraising from individual donors look like? I don't know of anyone doing backflips to give UofL money right now.

Didn't Schnatter step away on his own or mutual agreement? Therefore, we pay nothing?

Personally, I just want things to move forward from all the stench associated with the last regime. Yes, I said regime. Lots of good things happened, but at a ethical moral cost which caught up with those who created it. Without Jurich, UofL would not be in the ACC today. I understand that. I am grateful for that. Without Jurich, the athletic department may or may not be title 9 compliant. That is speculation, but he made that happen. Without Jurich we don't have great coaches in all sports sans those who got fired for the toxic lack of morals which Jurich himself ignored. His refusal to deal with that cost HIM his job in the end.

NOW it is beyond time to move on and move forward. I'm with Kerry. Card fans are with Charlie, er, Vince Tyra.

Anytime corporations put money behind your product means they feel the business is stable and trending upwards. No business would ever invest millions of dollars and their name on a product they feel is inferior plain and simple!
^^^ exactly! snowball effect. if corporate is putting their names on it then the individuals will follow. plus tyra isn't looking for donors to pay off debt, he's lookign for donors to move the campus and athletics forward. he said when a project comes then he'll seek money but he's earning their trust before he asks for dough. basically renovating what tj started

Reactions: Cue Card
Anytime corporations put money behind your product means they feel the business is stable and trending upwards. No business would ever invest millions of dollars and their name on a product they feel is inferior plain and simple!
^^^ exactly! snowball effect. if corporate is putting their names on it then the individuals will follow. plus tyra isn't looking for donors to pay off debt, he's lookign for donors to move the campus and athletics forward. he said when a project comes then he'll seek money but he's earning their trust before he asks for dough. basically renovating what tj started

Hard to waist if your only requesting money as you need it for specific projects. I remember when Vince made that comment.

I find it interesting, and positive for UofL athletics, that the president of the L&N Credit Union said the following when giving the gift: “We believe in Vince Tyra's vision to enhance the student athlete experience for all 23 sports. We want to do our part to make it happen.” Spin that however you like, but that is in direct opposition to one of the primary narratives floated on this site about Tyra not being able to raise money because people don’t believe in his vision. His ability to raise money has been a legitimate concern, but money is now being raised to benefit UofL athletes, and from where I sit, that simply is good for UofL. Yes, good things are happening whether some people like it or not.

Last edited:
What's he gonna say? We don't believe in "Vince", but we're giving U of L the money anyway?

Ringing endorsement... :rolleyes:

Some of you guys are looking too hard for something positive...

Reactions: kypecos
What's he gonna say? We don't believe in "Vince", but we're giving U of L the money anyway?

… And one guy on here is always looking for ways to spin positive news for UofL athletics under the current AD (for example, a major donation) into somehow still being a negative. A while back, before the donations, the spin was that there was a lack of donations because donors didn't have faith in Tyra. Now, when donations are coming in and the donors go out of their way to declare their faith in the direction from the AD, the spin is "what else are they gonna say". Seems to me that any UofL fan would just be glad that money is coming in. The consistently negative spin would simply be sad if the contortions weren't so funny and easy to anticipate.

Last edited:

And some are looking too hard for something negative. A positive endorsement is way better than a negative endorsement in my book. Soldier on.

Last edited:
and it seems you only look for negativity and you always blame the messenger when someone shows you that your points are off or your data is wrong. when was the last time you posted something positive?
And some are looking too hard for something negative. A positive endorsement is way better that a negative endorsement in my book. Soldier on.
I didn't make any statement. Just responding to another "Vince" apologist, which doesn't make me critical of your AD...

… And one guy on here is always looking for ways to spin positive news for UofL athletics under the current AD (for example, a major donation) into somehow still being a negative...
More misinformation. Saying "nothing has changed" isn't saying "things are getting worse". That's simply how regime apologists like to spin my messages.

This so-called "news" is really just a one-sided press release. I'll wait for the real financial results and get back to you with my analysis...

I didn't make any statement. Just responding to another "Vince" apologist, which doesn't make me critical of your AD...

He is UofL's AD and hence any fan of UofL's AD too. You are a fan right?

You saying he is 'your AD' is the height of hypocrisy and being less than truthful about Tyra's status. Now, you don't have to like him....but it is not honest to state he is not the AD for all of us....good, bad, or ugly....he is the AD, period. To say otherwise is so petty and juvenile....unbecoming of a rational adult. But soldier on in your cause.

...He is UofL's AD and hence any fan of UofL's AD too. You are a fan right?

You saying he is 'your AD' is the height of hypocrisy and being less than truthful about Tyra's status. Now, you don't have to like him....but it is not honest to state he is not the AD for all of us....good, bad, or ugly....he is the AD, period. To say otherwise is so petty and juvenile....unbecoming of a rational adult. But soldier on in your cause.
Is every citizen of the US a fan of Donald Trump or wanna claim him as his/her President? What's the difference?

We at least get to vote for US Presidents. Now, YOU are on a tangent...

Two%20slapdcks_zpsnzawskih.jpg

Is every citizen of the US a fan of Donald Trump or wanna claim him as his/her President? What's the difference?

We at least get to vote for US Presidents. Now, YOU are on a tangent...

Two%20slapdcks_zpsnzawskih.jpg

MAYO:
The issue is that you do not comprehend the difference. Donald Trump, like him or not, is still the president of the United States...whether you voted for him or not. If you are an American, he is the president of the whole USA at this point in time and holds that office for all Americans..

Tyra is the AD at UofL at this point in time whether you like him or not. Voting is irrelevant to this issue IRT him. Either he is the AD or he is not. When I look at UofL website....I see his name listed there as the AD....ergo he is the AD for all of us. You can exercise your right to not support him or like him and that is fine...but it does not take away the FACT that he is the AD. Facts are facts.

By the way....posting that picture says more about you than it does about him. I am not on a tangent....l am into the reality of the situation. Are you?

Last edited:
MAYO:
The issue is that you do not comprehend the difference. Donald Trump, like him or not, is still the president of the United States...whether you voted for him or not. If you are an American, he is the president of the whole USA at this point in time and holds that office for all Americans..

Tyra is the AD at UofL at this point in time whether you like him or not. Voting is irrelevant to this issue IRT him. Either he is the AD or he is not. When I look at UofL website....I see his name listed there as the AD....ergo he is the AD for all of us. You can exercise your right to not support him or like him and that is fine...but it does not take away the FACT that he is the AD. Facts are facts.

By the way....posting that picture says more about you than it does about him. I am not on a tangent....l am into the reality of the situation. Are you?
You didn't answer the question... Does supporting Trump define you as a US citizen?

I'll answer for you just as I would WRT "Vince"... No, it does not.

I'm not the guy stupid enough to be in that picture, but I enjoy people trying to defend it...

Can't wait for your one sided, biased, and flawed "analysis". Can we get a 3rd grade level chart as well?
When I post my analysis of actual financial results again, feel free to critique it. You don't need to get a jump on anyone now. :D

And I look forward to you trying...

Didn't Schnatter step away on his own or mutual agreement? Therefore, we pay nothing?
So what is the answer? I honestly do not know and have not been able to find any information about it. It is very doubtful that Schnatter just walked away from it after being thoroughly trashed and discarded by the new administration. Those were very valuable rights that were yanked away from him in a very unpleasant manner. If anyone knows, please chime in. As Zipp implied, maybe it will be in the next financial report.

So what is the answer? I honestly do not know and have not been able to find any information about it. It is very doubtful that Schnatter just walked away from it after being thoroughly trashed and discarded by the new administration. Those were very valuable rights that were yanked away from him in a very unpleasant manner. If anyone knows, please chime in. As Zipp implied, maybe it will be in the next financial report.
U of L didn't announce any adverse effect on its financials when it cancelled the PJCS deal. The contract called for all of the money to be paid on the front end of the term, so U of L had received all of the money it was due.

Of course, cancelling a contract under normal circumstances would have meant U of L should have at least refunded to PJ a prorated amount of what they had paid. There was no mention of that. Presumably, that was negotiated behind the scenes since these weren't normal circumstances.

Had it gone to court, U of L would have probably argued that PJ (the company) violated some kind of provision in its contract about each party not hurting the image/identity/brand of the other. I've read that contract, however, and I couldn't find that type of language.

...Which means PJ probably didn't want the fallout of coming back on U of L for that decision. They were experiencing enough fallout already. So both parties evidently walked away from the deal with no other negotiated arrangements. At least, that's the way I analyze what happened.

Another contingency is that the contract was reportedly with Pizza Guy and not the company whose name was on the stadium. So he may have had to agree to whatever his former company and U of L had agreed to...

This is logical and may very well be true. But no one seems to know for sure or is not telling.
Those naming rights were good till 2040 (if I remember correctly) and significantly appreciated in value. They were very valuable. If Schnatter walked away from them, he should be given enormous credit b/c that was a significant and very expensive concession that allows UofL to market them for a lot more money.
I'm still not convinced that the issue is resolved but we'll find out some day. Open records requests are easy to file.

U of L didn't announce any adverse effect on its financials when it cancelled the PJCS deal. The contract called for all of the money to be paid on the front end of the term, so U of L had received all of the money it was due.

Of course, cancelling a contract under normal circumstances would have meant U of L should have at least refunded to PJ a prorated amount of what they had paid. There was no mention of that. Presumably, that was negotiated behind the scenes since these weren't normal circumstances.

Had it gone to court, U of L would have probably argued that PJ (the company) violated some kind of provision in its contract about each party not hurting the image/identity/brand of the other. I've read that contract, however, and I couldn't find that type of language.

...Which means PJ probably didn't want the fallout of coming back on U of L for that decision. They were experiencing enough fallout already. So both parties evidently walked away from the deal with no other negotiated arrangements. At least, that's the way I analyze what happened.

Another contingency is that the contract was reportedly with Pizza Guy and not the company whose name was on the stadium. So he may have had to agree to whatever his former company and U of L had agreed to...

This is logical and may very well be true. But no one seems to know for sure or is not telling.
Those naming rights were good till 2040 (if I remember correctly) and significantly appreciated in value. They were very valuable. If Schnatter walked away from them, he should be given enormous credit b/c that was a significant and very expensive concession that allows UofL to market them for a lot more money.
I'm still not convinced that the issue is resolved but we'll find out some day. Open records requests are easy to file.
The entity really harmed by U of L's actions was the PJ corporation. They were the one benefiting from its name being advertised.

Now, the guy and the company are TWO entities with no longer the same goals. In theory, Pizza Guy had the right to put his own name on the stadium and not his former company's. But what good would that do? The name "John Schnatter" has about zero brand equity. And if he did indeed own the rights, there was nothing his former company could do about U of L removing their name.

It's an interesting situation, but not one I'm convinced will change except for U of L someday finding a new stadium sponsor. In the long run and assuming someone else comes along, they may have gotten a little lucky being able to break the contract having collected all of the money and with no damages due anyone...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT