ADVERTISEMENT

For you Rick lovers

In 2000-01

-We had a nice 0-2 record against Sun Belt teams. -We lost to WKU and beat Murray State by 3 points.
-Charlotte beat us by 34
-Alabama best is by 30
-7 games under .500 at 12-19
-Finished 4th in our DIVISION in the Conference USA
-2 players on the roster were top 100 recruits (Chris Mack’s first team had 6 for reference)

But hey, we were in a much better place! Rick really never helped us one bit!

Some of you live in the moment so much that you honestly forget how far we’ve come as a program. Acting like we were automatically going to become elite again. We’d be with Cincy and Memphis right now if it wasn’t for TJ hiring Rick.

I can’t find fault with Rick just because he speaks so glowingly of the uk job, after all, he coached there too. He won and lost a national Championship there, and also led them out of probation. Men’s b-ball is uk’s top sport, and we all know how faithful their fans are. If he wants to speak highly of that job so be it, he’s earned the right.

I will say I am surprised he still speaks highly of them considering how their fans treated him while he coached at UofL, but maybe he’s just being honest.

Reactions: PushupMan
Do better than than this ! Besides Denny was old and tired of coaching it was obvious . And one other thing Denny won two and neither were tarnished because of not minding his store.
Stop deflecting, we are in much better shape as a program now than we were in 2001 when Denny was pushed out.

The campsite is much better than where it was found.

2001 Denny was not 1986 Denny. 2018-19 Louisville was in much better shape than 2000-01 Louisville.

None of Bobby Petrino’s seasons were tarnished by scandal or cheating. BCS Bowl and a Heisman trophy winner, but since none of his accomplishments are tarnished, he left Louisville football in a much better place than Rick? Right!? I mean he stunk at the end like Denny, but no investigations!

(And yes, IMO 12-19 in the freaking Conference USA is just as bad as 2-10 in 2018)

Stop deflecting, we are in much better shape as a program now than we were in 2001 when Denny was pushed out.

The campsite is much better than where it was found.

2001 Denny was not 1986 Denny. 2018-19 Louisville was in much better shape than 2000-01 Louisville.

None of Bobby Petrino’s seasons were tarnished by scandal or cheating. BCS Bowl and a Heisman trophy winner, but since none of his accomplishments are tarnished, he left Louisville football in a much better place than Rick? Right!? I mean he stunk at the end like Denny, but no investigations!

(And yes, IMO 12-19 in the freaking Conference USA is just as bad as 2-10 in 2018)
Dude what you not seeing you deflected to Denny and now Bobby lord help you ! Trying to compare Ricks program of being caught paying families and attempting too purchase players doing all this while knowing we on probation. And saying this program is in better shape . SMH I'm done with it .

Reactions: SoulSr
Dude what you not seeing you deflected to Denny and now Bobby lord help you ! Trying to compare Ricks program of being caught paying families and attempting too purchase players doing all this while knowing we on probation. And saying this program is in better shape . SMH I'm done with it .
You’re right!

Can’t wait for the big conference games against Houston, Cincy, and Wichita at Freedom Hall next year! Glad we never hired Rick!

Two numbers that end the debate over the state of the U of L program when Pitino took the job and when Mack did...

Pitino had won a national championship and had a $70 million contract with the Celtics previously. His initial base salary at U of L was $1 million.

Mack's salary is $4 million...

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
Perspective on salaries:

Denny was making 350k during final year.
CRP was hired in with a total pck of over 1m.....triple CDC contract..... and making him even with highest paid coaches. Izzo off 3 straight final 4s and a NC was at 1.1m.

CRP was making 7.8m at end. CCM was hired in at 4m....roughly half.

Not saying who was the better hire.....just saying salary perspective. Can't just say 1m vs 4m 17 years later.

Perspective on salaries:

Denny was making 350k during final year.
CRP was hired in with a total pck of over 1m.....triple CDC contract..... and making him even with highest paid coaches. Izzo off 3 straight final 4s and a NC was at 1.1m.

CRP was making 7.8m at end. CCM was hired in at 4m....roughly half.

Not saying who was the better hire.....just saying salary perspective. Can't just say 1m vs 4m 17 years later.
You're not comparing apples to apples. Base salary is what U of L is paying a coach. That's "the job." Pitino was paid from outside sources that grossed his income to a higher figure. Like endorsement contracts, he would have been paid that income regardless of the school he coached at. Mack isn't eligible for that money.

And the comparison to Izzo is mostly irrelevant, unless you're arguing that the MSU job isn't better than it was 20 years ago too.

Pitino left a job paying $7 million annually 20 years ago. There was plenty of money around from employers who could afford to pay. Most colleges weren't at that level two decades ago, and now they are. That, by definition, makes it a better job unless you're talking about intangibles.

Not to mention, Pitino's credentials far outdistanced Mack's when each guy was hired here...

Last edited:
You're not comparing apples to apples. Base salary is what U of L is paying a coach. That's "the job." Pitino was paid from outside sources that grossed his income to a higher figure. Like endorsement contracts, he would have been paid that income regardless of the school he coached at. Mack isn't eligible for that money.

And the comparison to Izzo is mostly irrelevant, unless you're arguing that the MSU job isn't better than it was 20 years ago too.

Pitino left a job paying $7 million annually 20 years ago. There was plenty of money around from employers who could afford to pay. Most colleges weren't at that level two decades ago, and now they are. That, by definition, makes it a better job unless you're talking about intangibles.

Not to mention, Pitino's credentials far outdistanced Mack's when each guy was hired here...
Give it a rest Zipp!

We all know Pitino ruined our program and did nothing positive! He tenure did nothing good for UofL and we are in a much worse place ;)

The comparison to Izzo was very relevant. Izzo had just signed a new contract making him the highest paid coach at 1.1m base. RP was hired with a base salary of 1.2m with incentive package that could add 500k + to that making him the highest paid coach at the time. The size of his contract was much talked about locally and nationally.

17 years later Mack was hired in at half what the highest guys are making.

Not arguing coaches. Obvious RP was more accomplished. Just pointing out you cant compare the size of contracts with a 17year gap. You have to compare to what top coaches are making.

LeFlores......if your speaking to me, i have not said one thing negative about RP. I stay out of those discussions as a general rule.

My post was about Mack being signed for more than RP 17 years earlier like that proved something.

The comparison to Izzo was very relevant. Izzo had just signed a new contract making him the highest paid coach at 1.1m base. RP was hired with a base salary of 1.2m with incentive package that could add 500k + to that making him the highest paid coach at the time. The size of his contract was much talked about locally and nationally.

17 years later Mack was hired in at half what the highest guys are making.

Not arguing coaches. Obvious RP was more accomplished. Just pointing out you cant compare the size of contracts with a 17year gap. You have to compare to what top coaches are making.
U of L is paying Mack 80% of what it was paying Pitino. That's all that matters. And it has little to do with Mack's credentials. Those same credentials earned Mack half of that money at Xavier.

"Vince" is writing Mack checks because of how much better the job is than when Pitino took it in 2001. That's the issue we were discussing...

U of L is paying Mack 80% of what it was paying Pitino. That's all that matters. And it has little to do with Mack's credentials. Those same credentials earned Mack half of that money at Xavier.

"Vince" is writing Mack checks because of how much better the job is than when Pitino took it in 2001. That's the issue we were discussing...
I think we overpaid Mack by about $500,000 to $800,000 and I think he would have taken it or should have. His base salary is more than Roy Williams, Bill Self and Izzo, all who have won a NC. Of course, we didn’t overpay as much as UCLA (Cronin) and Tennessee (Barnes).

On Thursday afternoon we learned where Chris Mack’s salary ranks among the other high profile college basketball coaches thanks to WatchStadium.com.

Mack’s $4 million total salary ranks 8th among college basketball coaches.

— — —
8. CHRIS MACK – LOUISVILLE
Total Compensation: $4,000,000dditional Compensation: None
Notes: $2 million in base salary, $2 million in additional compensation
A
Max Bonus:
$475,000
Buyout if Fired Without Cause: 36 months’ worth of base salary and additional compensation (currently $12 million)
Buyout if Coach Terminates Contract:
$5.5 million if on/before March 31, 2020; $5 million between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021
Contract Term Ends: March 31, 2025; Mack’s contract term will be extended by one year for each season that Louisville faces a postseason ban or reduction of scholarships by the NCAA.

— — —
TOP TEN HIGHEST PAID COLLEGE BASKETBALL COACHES
coaches.png

6. Chris Beard – Texas Tech

Total Compensation: $4,200,000

7. Roy Williams – North Carolina

Total Compensation: $4,042,409

8. Chris Mack – Louisville

Total Compensation: $4,000,000

9. Tom Izzo – Michigan State

Total Compensation: $3,957,900

10. Bob Huggins – West Virginia

Total Compensation: $3,955,000

I've grown to love "Vince". He gives me a lotta material...
You had good material under Jurich and it made National Headlines...Basketball coach makes headlines for having sex in a restaurant, the Basketball program has prostitute parties for recruits, UL takes down national Championship Banner(1st time ever) and UL pays recruits father while on Probation. And don't forget the outstanding 2-10 football season. What has current AD given you that (tops this?

You had good material under Jurich and it made National Headlines...Basketball coach makes headlines for having sex in a restaurant, the Basketball program has prostitute parties for recruits, UL takes down national Championship Banner(1st time ever) and UL pays recruits father while on Probation. And don't forget the outstanding 2-10 football season. What has current AD given you that (tops this?
You want me to chronicle how "Vince" has already spent $50 million more than Jurich was spending before "retiring"? It's an amazing feat, and definitely worth a long discussion.

And those millions would have come in pretty handy in a virus financial meltdown and afterward...

Last edited:
I like Vince and think he’s done a tremendous job in his short tenure, except for the Mack hire.
I’m skeptical of Mack, but I also concede it was the right hire at the right time. With sanctions looming, it would’ve been hard to lure a lot of names to come take a risk.

The only “big fish” we could possibly land at the time was Billy Donovan, and it would’ve been hard to get him to leave while coaching Westbrook & Paul George during the middle of a season. It would’ve taken a lot of money (we didn’t have) and he has said he doesn’t miss the recruiting grind.

We couldn’t go after Bruce Pearl, because well, his own FBI issues. I’ve always been a big Cronin guy, but this fan base was 0% in favor of that and would’ve rioted. Kelvin Sampson’s issues are Indiana kept him off the list. Chris Beard hasn’t done anything by that point.

Chris Mack was coming off a #1 seed and had an elite 8 run the year before. Had ties to this area and a clean background. Had coached in a power conference and at a school that does care about basketball. He was a good hire to stabilize the program.

Remember when Indiana panic hired Tom Crean? There was no way he was ready for a program that size nor could he do it under NCAA sanctions. Crashed the program. Mack was a much safer hire and he kept the players and has brought in ACC level of recruits.

Now, he’s not been amazing thus far, but he’s been pretty good. If by year 4-5 we are still struggling, yeah we need to talk about his job, but for now he just needs to keep bringing in 4 stars and keeping the ship steady.

Reactions: SoulSr
I’m skeptical of Mack, but I also concede it was the right hire at the right time. With sanctions looming, it would’ve been hard to lure a lot of names to come take a risk.

The only “big fish” we could possibly land at the time was Billy Donovan, and it would’ve been hard to get him to leave while coaching Westbrook & Paul George during the middle of a season. It would’ve taken a lot of money (we didn’t have) and he has said he doesn’t miss the recruiting grind.

We couldn’t go after Bruce Pearl, because well, his own FBI issues. I’ve always been a big Cronin guy, but this fan base was 0% in favor of that and would’ve rioted. Kelvin Sampson’s issues are Indiana kept him off the list. Chris Beard hasn’t done anything by that point.

Chris Mack was coming off a #1 seed and had an elite 8 run the year before. Had ties to this area and a clean background. Had coached in a power conference and at a school that does care about basketball. He was a good hire to stabilize the program.

Remember when Indiana panic hired Tom Crean? There was no way he was ready for a program that size nor could he do it under NCAA sanctions. Crashed the program. Mack was a much safer hire and he kept the players and has brought in ACC level of recruits.

Now, he’s not been amazing thus far, but he’s been pretty good. If by year 4-5 we are still struggling, yeah we need to talk about his job, but for now he just needs to keep bringing in 4 stars and keeping the ship steady.
I can dig everything mostly you say except the 4-5 year mark. Only because if any sanctions are levied and the extent they are. And based on how the Ncaa is going time wise with this . Those years will be the ones that will take the hits. And his contract states a year added for any post season bans.

I can dig everything mostly you say except the 4-5 year mark. Only because if any sanctions are levied and the extent they are. And based on how the Ncaa is going time wise with this . Those years will be the ones that will take the hits. And his contract states a year added for any post season bans.
But you can tell if a coach is good or not, if we aren’t playing good basketball, we will know.

Syracuse for example, they had sanctions and have struggled, but you could tell they were coached well and being developed. Hurt their recruiting. UNC’s recruiting took a dip during theirs, Roy didn’t get too guys but developed some good 3-4 year guys.

I just hate his style of play, misses in recruiting, and early bounces in the tournament. We lost most big games this year, and played like shit the last month. He’s had huge misses a position of need in recruiting. We’re relying heavily on grad transfers. And the only tournament game we played in, we got trounced. I mean, it’s hard to get excited as a fan. I hope he proves me wrong and wins big here. I want to get excited about UofL basketball again.

I just hate his style of play, misses in recruiting, and early bounces in the tournament. We lost most big games this year, and played like shit the last month. He’s had huge misses a position of need in recruiting. We’re relying heavily on grad transfers. And the only tournament game we played in, we got trounced. I mean, it’s hard to get excited as a fan. I hope he proves me wrong and wins big here. I want to get excited about UofL basketball again.
Did you see how many players NC had on this years roster that were grad transfers? Mixed in with high 5 stars and look at their season . You want to trade with Roy? Duke recruits them has one already committed for next season and looking for more coach K said. Grad transfers is the new norm .

You need to go review Macks Xaxier teams , people just need to chill and allow him to get players that fit his system to a tee. The recruiting aspect will be a roller coaster for awhile alot uncontrolled variables he is fighting against.

You want me to chronicle how "Vince" has already spent $50 million more than Jurich was spending before "retiring"? It's an amazing feat, and definitely worth a long discussion.

And those millions would have come in pretty handy in a virus financial meltdown and afterward...
Yes, show me the extra $50M that current AD caused. Not AD fault that prior coaches and AD made us laughing stock with all the issues that caused attendance to decline.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
He’s had 1 early bounce in the tournament, one year after making the NIT and the year before that we lost in the 2nd round. How are you tired of early bounces lol

He missed big this year, but a year after his first class was a consensus top 5 class with 6 solid recruits.

Now his coaching style, yeah you can go off about him there but the other stuff you can’t really critique him on yet until there’s a larger sample size.

He’s had 1 early bounce in the tournament, one year after making the NIT and the year before that we lost in the 2nd round. How are you tired of early bounces lol

He missed big this year, but a year after his first class was a consensus top 5 class with 6 solid recruits.

Now his coaching style, yeah you can go off about him there but the other stuff you can’t really critique him on yet until there’s a larger sample size.

I'm lopping his early exits, or losses with a higher seed, at Xavier in there as well. That and Minnesota is all I have to work with at the moment.

Yes, show me the extra $50M that current AD caused. Not AD fault that prior coaches and AD made us laughing stock with all the issues that caused attendance to decline.
Always fun trotting out "Vince's" numbers.

This is broken out in the annual financial reports. The numbers in the right hand column reflect how much he has spent the last two years vs Jurich's spending in his final year. The total increase less depreciation is $49.7 million.

Now find me "Vince's" buyouts that total $50 million. You can't because they don't approach $50 million. That's about "Vince" not being able to manage expenses and raise money while thinking he could make those expenditures.

And it's only getting a lot worse going forward. Like the rest of the clowns, he doesn't know what he's doing. Thanks for asking...

Two-Year-Change.jpg

Last edited:
I hope it's acceptable to like all of: Crum, Pitino, Mack, Jurich and Tyra. Team Jurich vs. Team Tyra doesn't make much sense to me. I just want the program to do well going forward, and I think we have good people in place who have the potential to move us past the nightmares of the past few years.

Reactions: gocds
I tend to "like" people I'm paying who do good jobs.

For me, it's not about personalities and fandom. I've said many times in the past that you shouldn't fall in love with these people. That's not how they look at you...

True he was never leaving the NBA. But if he was unemployed or on a lottery bound NBA franchise and listening to offers....he was never coming here - he has a very strong relationship with Pitino.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT