ADVERTISEMENT

five wide spread offense

beasleythecard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 7, 2007
louisville

If you look at the effectiveness of our offense with 5 wide receivers, or 4 wide and 1 tight end, you would see that we are very hard to stop in that setup. You have to account for the wideouts and you have to account for Jackson.

When we use this set we score touchdowns with ease. It is pitch and catch football.

I think this needs to be used a lot more.

who can stop it?

what a defense takes away, the deep pass? okay we throw short, take away the underneath and we bomb on you. Use a dime cover package and we run it until you come within 10 yards of the line of gain.

I hope to see more of the 5 wide, or 4 wide and 1 tight end set because it is relatively unstoppable.

#L1C4

Good points.

Just to argue :), I'd say the only thing that can stop that is...Lamar Jackson.

If he takes what they give, it may well be unstoppable. But LJ has a tendency to look for 50, when 5 is right in front of him. When he learns this? Look out.

If I were coaching against us today, I take away the deep stuff, and hope LJ gets greedy and goes for it anyway. If he takes they short stuff, then he scores slower, and I get beat by 20 instead of 60. :p

It has to be drilled into his head that if he has a desire to be an NFL QB, he needs to grasp the concept of checkdowns, and better understand what a defense is giving him.

That first drive on the video in the OP is artwork. It is scary to think that can get better.

His percentage will rise when he realizes how a 5 yard out can turn into a touchdown if he hits the correct receiver.

defenses can not cover endline to endline, the line of scrimmage and the deep ball all at the same time. It is time to let this race car open wide and RUN WILD

Reactions: wilkie01
Good points.

Just to argue :), I'd say the only thing that can stop that is...Lamar Jackson.

If he takes what they give, it may well be unstoppable. But LJ has a tendency to look for 50, when 5 is right in front of him. When he learns this? Look out.

If I were coaching against us today, I take away the deep stuff, and hope LJ gets greedy and goes for it anyway. If he takes they short stuff, then he scores slower, and I get beat by 20 instead of 60. :p
When he makes the correct reads in the 5 wide spread, the offense IS unstoppable. I agree he gets greedy sometimes. We have to keep in mind, he's a true sophomore. He's only going to get better with more experience at this level.

If you've watched Petrino closely, on how he's handled Lamar, it's clear he agrees with what you have said, because he has spent countless hours training him to run theses types of sets. It's all about reading defenses, going through progressions, and selecting the right options. It's about poise, footwork, and getting the ball out, delivering it on-time and accurately. And with his extreme running skill, it's also about knowing when to run, and when to stay in the pocket and beat them with your arm.

In short, it's about being efficient, and minimizing mistakes that stop drives. Once he learns to do that in a fairly consistent manner, we become unstoppable because we are so explosive. But we aren't there yet.

The FSU game showed us what we are capable of, as we scored on 60% of our possessions...all TDs. But for the most part, in the other 5 games, we have been far less efficient than that (scoring on less than 50% of our possessions, with several red zone trips over the last three games ending in 3 points or less). Our explosiveness and high number of possessions per game have allowed us to still put up big points, except in the Duke game. In the Duke game, we were only slightly less efficient offensively than we have been all season (scored on 4 of 9 possessions, 3 of which were Tds), but scored far less points due to only getting 9 possessions.

Increase our efficiency on offense to the level we executed at against FSU, and we're a national contender for the title.

When teams go to the five wide, generally defenses will rush one more person than you can block. Duke, I think leads the ACC in sacks. But you're right, early on LJ wasn't making the correct reads.
whatever direction the extra guy comes from, you can expect an open guy in the flat from where he came, or the deep ball on the opposite side of the blitz.
OR Lamar can run the opposite way of the blitz.

The spread is a nightmare for opposing defenses. I hope we get it in gear this weekend.

Reactions: Cue Card
If he takes what they give, it may well be unstoppable.
All eyes are on LJ.He has to get them off of him,get his spots after that.I'd love though,to see CP make that easier on him early,help take those defensive eyeballs off him.

I love the read with this guy if he has no preconceived notions about what he's gonna do with it.

All eyes are on LJ.He has to get them off of him,get his spots after that.I'd love though,to see CP make that easier on him early,help take those defensive eyeballs off him.

I love the read with this guy if he has no preconceived notions about what he's gonna do with it.
the first half was a clinic until the red zone.
when we get the spread down and Lamar is making the correct read we are a team that can beat anybody.

Great mix early with the playcalls from coach.That takes the emphasis off of stopping the legs of Jackson,opens it up for him later.Yeah,scary to think what this offense does when he's making every right read.Now,with the offense opened up,the read is only a part of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT