ADVERTISEMENT

FB Attendance for All Home Cards Games

So if an engineer designs 100 bridges in his career and only one collapses, is he statistically a 99% successful engineer?

So if an engineer designs 100 bridges in his career and only one collapses, is he statistically a 99% successful engineer?
Nope. That kind of structure isn't designed with anywhere close to a 1% failure rate. In fact, most quality assurance standards are higher than 1%. A widely referenced six sigma standard is approx. 0.0003%...

Reactions: Guardman
Translation - “I understand that things look positive for the first time but if you just give me some more time, I can come up with some reason to shit all over it.”
I'll speak for myself since you generally do a lousy job of it...

Ok guys, I’m out. What was just fun online banter on a sports forum has become tormenting a person with mental issues.

College Football’s fan base is getting older. Stadiums are getting harder to get into. And most importantly TV coverage is high res with replay and your own snacks. Plus, a lot of the younger fans now have not only other sports to be interested in, but the price structure of live events has changed.

Many moons ago, when I was in college, concert tickets for Charlie Daniels or Foghat were $13.00. Tickets for Card games at the office on Brook and Brandies about the same. Even with inflation rates applied, those numbers don’t reflect today’s prices.

Someone wants to say an old 2 and a new 2 doesn’t add up to 4. That the old 2 has a higher value.

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
I'd slow my roll on "doing better" just yet. Like I said, you don't get a home game with ND every year. Let's allow the numbers to keep coming in...
Wow!!! And to think BPGhost has accused you of moving goalposts! SMH!

Look, you provide numbers showing us doing better in attendance and I say it looks like we’re doing better in attendance and you tell me to slow my roll? You contend that our game with ND skews things but, good sir, just wait until the UK game numbers are added in and see what we have then. Yes, lesser opponents will draw smaller crowds and bigger opponents will bring larger crowds, that’s a given. But, we’ve had big time teams in our house since 2015 as well as our own Heisman winner. It all evens out in the long run but, as you should know, numbers don’t lie. As much as you must hate it, we’re doing quite well attendance-wise and the crowds there are having a blast. I know that doesn’t suit your narrative but it is what it is.

Carrying those goal posts around must get pretty damned heavy. Maybe you should just give it a rest.

Ok guys, I’m out. What was just fun online banter on a sports forum has become tormenting a person with mental issues.

College Football’s fan base is getting older. Stadiums are getting harder to get into. And most importantly TV coverage is high res with replay and your own snacks. Plus, a lot of the younger fans now have not only other sports to be interested in, but the price structure of live events has changed.

Many moons ago, when I was in college, concert tickets for Charlie Daniels or Foghat were $13.00. Tickets for Card games at the office on Brook and Brandies about the same. Even with inflation rates applied, those numbers don’t reflect today’s prices...
And that all exploded on the scene in 2018...said the guy with "mental issues."

Wow!!! And to think BPGhost has accused you of moving goalposts! SMH!

Look, you provide numbers showing us doing better in attendance and I say it looks like we’re doing better in attendance and you tell me to slow my roll? You contend that our game with ND skews things but, good sir, just wait until the UK game numbers are added in and see what we have then. Yes, lesser opponents will draw smaller crowds and bigger opponents will bring larger crowds, that’s a given. But, we’ve had big time teams in our house since 2015 as well as our own Heisman winner. It all evens out in the long run but, as you should know, numbers don’t lie. As much as you must hate it, we’re doing quite well attendance-wise and the crowds there are having a blast. I know that doesn’t suit your narrative but it is what it is.

Carrying those goal posts around must get pretty damned heavy. Maybe you should just give it a rest.
"Doing better" than last year, attendance-wise, is no accomplishment. You may as well be saying we're doing better than when K-rag was here. Same numbers.

The fact that THIS administration lets things go to hell doesn't mean we should be happy when they show a one-year improvement. And I could add, there would be no improvement if the same administration wasn't handed a gift courtesy of UC and Satterfield.

When we show continued improvement and even in years when we don't start out winning eight of the first nine games, I'll start to get optimistic about our financial situation. Right now, I'm content to just enjoy the product on the field...

Your data is good but quit cherry picking data points to support your narrative. The attendance increase is pretty simple and like in years past it has nothing to do with the administration. It is the product on the field.

Who cares how Brohm was hired he is here and they are 8-1 ranked 11th. The collective just received a 6 figure donation for women’s basketball. Women’s volleyball is legit. The Swimming program is legit which is amazing. Men’s soccer is in the ACC finals in a stupidly competitive conference.

I get money matters but Jesus how about enjoying the actual performance of the athletes. I promise you Brohm keeps this up the money will follow.

"Doing better" than last year, attendance-wise, is no accomplishment. You may as well be saying we're doing better than when K-rag was here. Same numbers.

The fact that THIS administration lets things go to hell doesn't mean we should be happy when they show a one-year improvement. And I could add, there would be no improvement if the same administration wasn't handed a gift courtesy of UC and Satterfield.

When we show continued improvement and even in years when we don't start out winning eight of the first nine games, I'll start to get optimistic about our financial situation. Right now, I'm content to just enjoy the product on the field...
and complain, bellyache, and whine about EVERYTHING else. (You left that part out!)

Please...just give it a rest for awhile. At times you suck the joy out of being a Cards fan with your constant #'s and agenda. We get it...we have read what you are laying down for years.

I am glad you are not my UofL source of joy and fun...IAW you....LoL

Whoa there cowboy!!! The data you provided shows we’re doing better than every period you listed….from 2015 through the present. Now you just want to say we’re only doing better than last year??!!! Damn…there go those goalposts again!! You just keep arguing against your own data. Maybe you just need some help with your numbers. My 6 year old grandson is available for tutoring. Let me know, I’ll hook you up!

Your data is good but quit cherry picking data points to support your narrative. The attendance increase is pretty simple and like in years past it has nothing to do with the administration. It is the product on the field…
We went to a bowl game last year—that YOY reference point for attendance.
…Who cares how Brohm was hired he is here and they are 8-1 ranked 11th…
I don’t disagree unless the debate starts about WHOSE accomplishments. Brohm gets 100% of the credit for anything good happening in football…
…I get money matters but Jesus how about enjoying the actual performance of the athletes. I promise you Brohm keeps this up the money will follow.
No one is not enjoying this football team. Who said otherwise?…

I don’t disagree unless the debate starts about WHOSE accomplishments. Brohm gets 100% of the credit for anything good happening in football…

Just so I can keep track at home - does Payne get 100% of the credit for all the bad sh!t in bball right now or is some of that allocated to Heird?

Whoa there cowboy!!! The data you provided shows we’re doing better than every period you listed….from 2015 through the present. Now you just want to say we’re only doing better than last year??!!! Damn…there go those goalposts again!! You just keep arguing against your own data. Maybe you just need some help with your numbers. My 6 year old grandson is available for tutoring. Let me know, I’ll hook you up!
Here's football attendance numbers for more than a decade...

Football-attendance-2023.jpg

After falling off significantly, it's recovered this year to about where it was a decade ago. That's in a better stadium with more amenities. Congrats if you think that's significant progress.

What's not explicitly in the chart is that season ticket sales are down 20% since we entered the ACC in 2014. We're clawing back on the basis of walk-up sales that (1) have no donations accompanying them and (2) are highly dependent on a team winning or losing. So as long as Brohm wins 90% of his games, we should be able to tread water on the gross figure.

Brohm's done his job selling tickets. It's time for his employer to do its job...

Just so I can keep track at home - does Payne get 100% of the credit for all the bad sh!t in bball right now or is some of that allocated to Heird?
It would have all been on Payne if basketball was rocking the year before his arrival.

Attendance that year (2021-22) was lower than it's been in 45 years. That was 1978. Payne walked into a dumpster fire with a five gallon jug of gasoline...

Here's football attendance numbers for more than a decade...

Football-attendance-2023.jpg

After falling off significantly, it's recovered this year to about where it was a decade ago. That's in a better stadium with more amenities. Congrats if you think that's significant progress.

What's not explicitly in the chart is that season ticket sales are down 20% since we entered the ACC in 2014. We're clawing back on the basis of walk-up sales that (1) have no donations accompanying them and (2) are highly dependent on a team winning or losing. So as long as Brohm wins 90% of his games, we should be able to tread water on the gross figure.

Brohm's done his job selling tickets. It's time for his employer to do its job...
Still looks like we’re doing better than any year since 2015 except for 2016 (Lamar’s Heisman year). Condolences if you think we’re not doing well/better.

And now, you want to use season tickets as your measure (there go those goal posts yet again). But, I believe based upon the title of this thread, that we’re discussing ATTENDANCE here. So, let’s put those goalposts back where they’re supposed to be.

Still looks like we’re doing better than any year since 2015 except for 2016 (Lamar’s Heisman year). Condolences if you think we’re not doing well/better.

And now, you want to use season tickets as your measure (there go those goal posts yet again). But, I believe based upon the title of this thread, that we’re discussing ATTENDANCE here. So, let’s put those goalposts back where they’re supposed to be.
These are total ticket revenue numbers (in millions) for louisville sports from 2012 through 2019. Overall attendance as well as ticket prices affect the numbers. Covid numbers are not included.

2012 - 23,534
2013 - 26,611
2014 - 25,508
2015 - 27,336
2016 - 34332
2017 - 23,440
2018 - 28,528
2019 - 28,678

These are total ticket revenue numbers (in millions) for louisville sports from 2012 through 2019. Overall attendance as well as ticket prices affect the numbers. Covid numbers are not included.

2012 - 23,534
2013 - 26,611
2014 - 25,508
2015 - 27,336
2016 - 34332
2017 - 23,440
2018 - 28,528
2019 - 28,678
You mean in thousands . And thanks.

I appreciate Zipp's attendance chart above. It seems factual and undistorted. Absent his comments it is useful for us to track our own version of macro and micro events with corresponding changes in attendance.

2012 - 23,534
2013 - 26,611
2014 - 25,508
2015 - 27,336
2016 - 34332
2017 - 23,440
2018 - 28,528
2019 - 28,678
Why are you omitting the last few years? (Please don’t include Covid again…)

And I assume you’ve compared the revenue numbers after adjusting for inflation? I know my ticket prices have sure increased.

No inflation adjustment needed for raw attendance data…

After last night's game, the 2023 attendance average has dipped below 50K at 49,923. That's smack in the middle (7th) on the list of season ending attendance stats since the stadium was first expanded in 2010, a total of 13 years excl. Covid.

I never said the number of season tickets sold was irrelevant. And I posted above (#55) why it's highly relevant...

After last night's game, the 2023 attendance average has dipped below 50K at 49,923. That's smack in the middle (7th) on the list of season ending attendance stats since the stadium was first expanded in 2010, a total of 13 years excl. Covid.

I never said the number of season tickets sold was irrelevant. And I posted above (#55) why it's highly relevant...
Yep, it the UK game will be a sellout.

Why are you omitting the last few years? (Please don’t include Covid again…)

And I assume you’ve compared the revenue numbers after adjusting for inflation? I know my ticket prices have sure increased.

No inflation adjustment needed for raw attendance data…
It would make sense to omit COVID years as including them would give the mistaken impression of improvement since when those numbers are artificially depressed. General inflation is not relevant- but athletic inflation, if such a number can be determined, is.

Reactions: Guardman
Nope, probably approaching 55K based on recent experience. Not bad.

It will put the season average around 50.5K. That might beat 2010, but it won't top 2013, 2014, or 2016...
You could be right, the previous administration could well be selling out the stadium now if they were still around. But you could be wrong, and the 50,000-55,000 level could well be our current realistic top range.

But seriously, implicit in what you've said in this thread, and what you've said directly in other threads, is that the current administration doesn't know how to market. Seems to me that the previous marketing plan was "just win baby". Oh, there were a couple of cheeky billboards on I-64 and the L1C4 slogan, but I doubt those added a lot of additional fans in the stands. Was there something else?

Really, what is the genius marketing that is being missed now? I've been a season-ticketholder for about 40 years now (I'm a Crunch Zone guy) and I think the marketing is stronger now and I see a new emphasis on taking care of season-ticketholders. Free shirts, free hats, locker room tours that I don't remember since Howard was here, they send out numerous fan surveys and contact me each time I fill one out, and they let me know by phone when i'm in danger of missing a ticket payment deadline. I have several friends in the Athletic Department, and I assure you they would be interested in anything you think they are missing or could do better. So, do you have any specific ideas?

Reactions: BPGhost
You could be right, the previous administration could well be selling out the stadium now if they were still around. But you could be wrong, and the 50,000-55,000 level could well be our current realistic top range.

But seriously, implicit in what you've said in this thread, and what you've said directly in other threads, is that the current administration doesn't know how to market. Seems to me that the previous marketing plan was "just win baby". Oh, there were a couple of cheeky billboards on I-64 and the L1C4 slogan, but I doubt those added a lot of additional fans in the stands. Was there something else?

Really, what is the genius marketing that is being missed now? I've been a season-ticketholder for about 40 years now (I'm a Crunch Zone guy) and I think the marketing is stronger now and I see a new emphasis on taking care of season-ticketholders. Free shirts, free hats, locker room tours that I don't remember since Howard was here, they send out numerous fan surveys and contact me each time I fill one out, and they let me know by phone when i'm in danger of missing a ticket payment deadline. I have several friends in the Athletic Department, and I assure you they would be interested in anything you think they are missing or could do better. So, do you have any specific ideas?
If I could personally fix it, they'd hire me. I'm not a marketing guy, I simply know how to crunch numbers. We have problems, and it's not my job nor is it obvious to me how to fix them.

We used to build and expand facilities with no problems utilizing them. Is it mere coincidence these problems started around 2018 in football and the year before in basketball? I doubt it.

We will never improve our football team from one year to the next as much as we have this year. If we're still down 20% in our season ticket count, that's not Jeff Brohm's fault...

If I could personally fix it, they'd hire me. I'm not a marketing guy, I simply know how to crunch numbers. We have problems, and it's not my job nor is it obvious to me how to fix them.

We used to build and expand facilities with no problems utilizing them. Is it mere coincidence these problems started around 2018 in football and the year before in basketball? I doubt it.

We will never improve our football team from one year to the next as much as we have this year. If we're still down 20% in our season ticket count, that's not Jeff Brohm's fault...
So to recap - you don’t understand the reason(s) for the “problems” you say exist and, you don’t have any solutions to said problems that you don’t understand.

Despite all of that self identified ignorance, you are somehow able to overcome that to point the finger at who is to blame.

Makes sense.

Said no one ever…

Reactions: Art79
So to recap - you don’t understand the reason(s) for the “problems” you say exist and, you don’t have any solutions to said problems that you don’t understand.

Despite all of that self identified ignorance, you are somehow able to overcome that to point the finger at who is to blame.

Makes sense.

Said no one ever…
Oh I had plenty of solutions, none of them embraced by this administration which continues to decline. And it's not my job to come up with fixes that THEY like. They're idiots...

Nope, probably approaching 55K based on recent experience. Not bad.

It will put the season average around 50.5K. That might beat 2010, but it won't top 2013, 2014, or 2016...
Uhhh….wrong again numbers boy. It’s already been announced that the UK game is a sellout. Sorry, I know you’re disappointed.

You know why people didn’t come to games last year….people didn’t like the coach or the product on the field. Looks like the people that felt that way were right.

Me too, but IF he had stayed another year, I may have stopped going....kind of like another sport here.
Yeah, since you mentioned it. Since I moved back to KY in 2015, last year was the first year I did not attend a single basketball game. I just couldn't find the desire. Wasn't because I don't like KP, I just didn't like the product I was seeing on the floor. I guess I'm a bad fan.

What do you not understand about the term sellout? A sellout has been announced. What happens on Saturday doesn’t affect that.
Announced attendance is apparently not tickets sold. The weather Saturday will be a little off for the typical U of L crowd. We'll see.

Revenues are what matters anyway. And most of the revenues for this game have been banked in the numbers I already reported... LINK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT