ADVERTISEMENT

Far better program???

I diagree. With our facilities, ACC position, football history, and our commitment to paying good money to HC’s and assistants, i think we’re in a postion to attract a lot of coaches. We shall soon see.
Again, that's countering an argument I wasn't making...

Brohm wouldn't take a gig here and turn down what he has going at Purdue if it wasn't for personal ties--and those ties may not even be enough. Our athletics department is a dumpster fire, and Brohm has a great contract already...

You try winning more than 9 games in 4 years with D. Hazell...

We won 15 games in 3 years with S. Kragthorpe...Went 6-6 coming of an Orange Bowl Win...With damn near the same team...Don't give us this BS about BAD COACHES!!!

:cool:

Brohm wouldn't take a gig here and turn down what he has going at Purdue if it wasn't for personal ties--and those ties may not even be enough. Our athletics department is a dumpster fire, and Brohm has a great contract already...

Regardless of Brohm’s personal ties to UofL, if we offered a better contract with more money, i believe he would listen to UofL. Saying otherwise is just a guess. Many coaches in the past have had “good things going” at schools and still entertained offers from others.

Why are you generalizing our entire athletic departmemt as being a “dumpster fire”? What makes it such?

Regardless of Brohm’s personal ties to UofL, if we offered a better contract with more money, i believe he would listen to UofL. Saying otherwise is just a guess. Many coaches in the past have had “good things going” at schools and still entertained offers from others.

Why are you generalizing our entire athletic departmemt as being a “dumpster fire”? What makes it such?
I think you are right in that Brohm would go if Louisville offered more money, but that isn't going to happen. The university president and AD at Purdue have said they will do whatever it takes to make sure Jeff Brohm doesn't leave.

I loved Tom being the AD but your constant beat down of Tyra is a real head scratcher. Are you a Tom fan or a UofL fan?

Also, you need to take a good hard look at St. Jurich. Did he not hire Bobby 2.0? Did he not throw UofL’s money at 2.0 when it was completely unnecessary? Did he not structure 2.0 a ridiculous buyout? Did he not allow Rick to continue as our b-ball coach when he should have been fired? Did he not drive the $63 million dollar expansion that was probably not necessary? Did he not hire his boy, ala Bobby 2.0? Did he not get his girl a job with Adidas? Was he not in bed with Prez James Ramsey, who may end up in huge trouble for his financial shenanigans with UofL money? Our boy Tom got us to the ACC, for that alone I am forever grateful - but the man was far from perfect and in retrospect probably very overrated!

Reactions: Hold Me Back
I’ve seen a lot of you guys state that UL is a far better program, here are some facts:

All time winning percentage:UL-.526 PU-.520. Push
All time bowl games UL-10-11 PU-10-8. Push
Football Conference UL-ACC PU- Big Ten. Ad-PU
Conference Division. Ad-PU
$ available Ad-PU

What am I missing? How is UL a better job?

Purdue is a lower tier B10 program. Not near Rutgers, but hand in hand with Illinois. UofL is a mid tier ACC program. Take this year out of the equation, since joining the ACC, it’s been Clemson, FSU here and there, then arguably UofL. Then you talk about trajectory. UofL has been a program trending upward for quite some time. Since 1998, there have been just 3 non bowl seasons. 4 if including this one. Purdue just always seems to be the same. Oh, they got a nice win. Oh, they got their ass kicked. It’s Purdue. Whatever. We were once that way, but perceptions change. Time has changed. Facilities have changed. Exposure has changed. UofL is just a better job right now. Not hugely better, but better.

Purdue is a lower tier B10 program. Not near Rutgers, but hand in hand with Illinois. UofL is a mid tier ACC program. Take this year out of the equation, since joining the ACC, it’s been Clemson, FSU here and there, then arguably UofL. Then you talk about trajectory. UofL has been a program trending upward for quite some time. Since 1998, there have been just 3 non bowl seasons. 4 if including this one. Purdue just always seems to be the same. Oh, they got a nice win. Oh, they got their ass kicked. It’s Purdue. Whatever. We were once that way, but perceptions change. Time has changed. Facilities have changed. Exposure has changed. UofL is just a better job right now. Not hugely better, but better.

Purdue had a great setup being in the West Division. The only traditional powerhouse is Nebraska who hasn’t been dominant for awhile. Purdue is well on its way to being in that mid tier. The B1G just simply has several historical powerhouses that the ACC doesn’t have.

Louisville has a lot to offer and if the job comes open it will attract quite a few excellent candidates. Coaches aren’t doing accounting, except perhaps for themselves. They want to go to someplace where they can win and have a good life for their families. Multiple coaches have won here, and one bad year doesn’t change that. Facilities and support are excellent. Power 5 conference. Recent Heisman winner. Multiple players in the NFL. Good talent in the roster. Zipp, get a grip. Coaches know this can be turned around, and quickly. Just like John L after Cooper. If Vince pulls the trigger he will have several good options.
Straw man argument. That stuff has nothing to do with my Brohm comments...

Just who is the team you support?

Everyone talks about Purdue being a bad job. What do they have to do to be a consistent contender in the big ten? Honest question? Because they have literally changed everything from two years ago, yet, to some people, they will never be good. I don't understand.

Everyone talks about Purdue being a bad job. What do they have to do to be a consistent contender in the big ten? Honest question? Because they have literally changed everything from two years ago, yet, to some people, they will never be good. I don't understand.

I’m not to trash Purdue. You made the mistake coming in our boards to argue whether JB departs and trashing us. What did you think would happen coming to our site.

Bottom line both Universities have made a commitment to good FB. It just so happens JB is a Louisville guy as is his brothers and his father and his grandfather. Not to mention countless other relatives. So as many have stated this has been his wish that is to coach at Louisville. If he does he’s gone. And according to what you say you’ll land on your feet with a good coach.

By the way we just fired Petrino.

I’m not to trash Purdue. You made the mistake coming in our boards to argue whether JB departs and trashing us. What did you think would happen coming to our site.

Bottom line both Universities have made a commitment to good FB. It just so happens JB is a Louisville guy as is his brothers and his father and his grandfather. Not to mention countless other relatives. So as many have stated this has been his wish that is to coach at Louisville. If he does he’s gone. And according to what you say you’ll land on your feet with a good coach.

By the way we just fired Petrino.
I have not bashed Louisville. I have corrected people who said that Louisville has better facilities and a better program. I think they are comparable. Purdue has some if the nicest training facilities in the big ten.
As for Petrino being fired. I guess good for you? I'm not really worried Brohk will leave. I think all signs point to him staying atm. If he leaves, you probably payed over 6 mill for a coach that hasn't proved to be worth that much yet. Purdue will just go find another good coach. Their success isn't because of Brohm saving the program. I guess we will find out if Brohm leaves or not though.

Stagg Field no longer exists. After they dropped football it was the site of the world’s first nuclear chain reaction in a lab underneath the playing field..

Now it is the site of the Regenstein Library, the main University Library. We still call our football field Stagg Field. U of C has more Heisman Trophy winners than Purdue, and tied with the U of L. I think Purdue just matched the U of Chicago's all-time Big Ten Conference titles in all sports last year. U of Chicago has not competed in the Big Ten for about 70 years.

Yes a lateral move. Take off your homer goggles.

Yes a lateral move. Take off your homer goggles.
Now it is the site of the Regenstein Library, the main University Library. We still call our football field Stagg Field. U of C has more Heisman Trophy winners than Purdue, and tied with the U of L. I think Purdue just matched the U of Chicago's all-time Big Ten Conference titles in all sports last year. U of Chicago has not competed in the Big Ten for about 70 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/12/06/sports/remembering-football-s-grand-old-man.html

Alas the Grand Old Man’s beloved Maroons lost their last 9 meetings with the Boilermakers, but he set the tone for Big Ten football in the early days of the Conference. Of course you know who leads the Big Ten in basketball championships?

The perception outside of the Louisville fan base is that the UofL athletics department is a dumpster fire. This is based on everything that has happened with Rick Pitino and the basketball program and the fact that you are paying $14MM to the head football coach to leave. That doesn’t mean that Brohm won’t come to UofL to save the program, but the reality is that there aren’t many athletic programs with a worse reputation for doing things the wrong way than Louisville.

Reactions: Mottsi
...Why are you generalizing our entire athletic departmemt as being a “dumpster fire”? What makes it such?
With today's news, Tyra's burned thru about $40 million that we know about. There ain't much cash left to cover paychecks if the losses continue. Attendance is declining in just about every sport of significance along with that revenue. Donors are MIA. But I can't think of many other reasons... ;)

I loved Tom being the AD but your constant beat down of Tyra is a real head scratcher. Are you a Tom fan or a UofL fan?...
I'm a fan of performance. We ain't getting that now in any way, shape, or form...
...Also, you need to take a good hard look at St. Jurich. Did he not hire Bobby 2.0? Did he not throw UofL’s money at 2.0 when it was completely unnecessary? Did he not structure 2.0 a ridiculous buyout?...
Rehiring Petrino was widely supported, and extending his contract was almost unanimously supported. His buyout is commensurate with what a Top 25 coach had as a buyout at the time those contracts were signed/extended. Arguments otherwise are with the benefit of hindsight only.
...Did he not allow Rick to continue as our b-ball coach when he should have been fired?...
That wasn't just Jurich's decision, but rather the BoT. In fact, Postel gave a stirring tribute to Pitino during the NCAA appeal arguments. The UNIVERSITY backed Pitino.
...Did he not drive the $63 million dollar expansion that was probably not necessary?...
The expansion was justified by premium seat revenue. Even Tyra will tell you that.
...Did he not hire his boy, ala Bobby 2.0?...
Mark Jurich's record stands on its own. Where have the well heeled donors gone since he left?
...Did he not get his girl a job with Adidas?...
You mean along with the $16 million a year that adidas is funneling U of L? Tyra's also said that was a good deal for us.
...Was he not in bed with Prez James Ramsey, who may end up in huge trouble for his financial shenanigans with UofL money?...
Doc Ramsey was railroaded. You'd best hope some of that Foundation money eventually comes back to U of L as well. Much of it went out the door with Ramsey.
...Our boy Tom got us to the ACC, for that alone I am forever grateful - but the man was far from perfect and in retrospect probably very overrated!
Jurich's greatness will only be more widely recognized as this dumpster fire continues to burn...

02_zpslel88rvr.jpg

I loved Tom being the AD but your constant beat down of Tyra is a real head scratcher. Are you a Tom fan or a UofL fan?...
I'm a fan of performance. We ain't getting that now in any way, shape, or form...
...Also, you need to take a good hard look at St. Jurich. Did he not hire Bobby 2.0? Did he not throw UofL’s money at 2.0 when it was completely unnecessary? Did he not structure 2.0 a ridiculous buyout?...
Rehiring Petrino was widely supported, and extending his contract was almost unanimously supported. His buyout is commensurate with what a Top 25 coach had as a buyout at the time those contracts were signed/extended. Arguments otherwise are with the benefit of hindsight only.
...Did he not allow Rick to continue as our b-ball coach when he should have been fired?...
That wasn't just Jurich's decision, but rather the BoT. In fact, Postel gave a stirring tribute to Pitino during the NCAA appeal arguments. The UNIVERSITY backed Pitino.
...Did he not drive the $63 million dollar expansion that was probably not necessary?...
The expansion was justified by premium seat revenue. Even Tyra will tell you that.
...Did he not hire his boy, ala Bobby 2.0?...
Mark Jurich's record stands on its own. Where have the well heeled donors gone since he left?
...Did he not get his girl a job with Adidas?...
You mean along with the $16 million a year that adidas is funneling U of L? Tyra's also said that was a good deal for us.
...Was he not in bed with Prez James Ramsey, who may end up in huge trouble for his financial shenanigans with UofL money?...
Doc Ramsey was railroaded. You'd best hope some of that Foundation money eventually comes back to U of L as well. Much of it went out the door with Ramsey.
...Our boy Tom got us to the ACC, for that alone I am forever grateful - but the man was far from perfect and in retrospect probably very overrated!
Jurich's greatness will only be more widely recognized as this dumpster fire continues to burn...

02_zpslel88rvr.jpg

Did you truly believe Bobby would turn this program around?

This Purdue crowd is over the top. Their history is shitty history, that's right, shitty history. They've played Big Ten football for 100 years and have been to exactly TWO Rose Bowls!!!...that's piss poor, no other way to describe it.

Let's talk basketball, this is where it gets good. They've actually got a decent history but being in the Valley of Heavyweights, surrounded by Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Louisville and Kentucky, Purdue's a Got Dam midget.......they just can't compete too well in the NCAA tournament and typically flame out fairly early.

That's just a scratching of the surface with that bunch. Most of them are actually smart enough to keep their frigging mouths shut regarding sports. My bro in law and sis in law are both Purdue grads, and highly successful people I might add. They don't say a word about sports during Christmas when I see them. I usually compliment them on Painter's teams as he gets more out of less. But this bunch on the internet, boiler87, BoilerN, even destewart, their old timer, have gotten too damn big for their britches.

They're not a Championship program in the big two sports and UofL, IU, UK, MSU, UM, you know, the schools that actually surround them, certainly are championship programs. Brohm needs to tuck tail and run, there's a chance he ends the season on a little three game skid.

Last edited:
The important difference between us and Purdue at this time--and probably the foreseeable future--is they have a lot more money. I've said before that the person I wanna be in this mess is Brohm's financial planner...

This Purdue crowd is over the top. Their history is shitty history, that's right, shitty history. They've played Big Ten football for 100 years and have been to exactly TWO Rose Bowls!!!...that's piss poor, no other way to describe it.

Let's talk basketball, this is where it gets good. They've actually got a decent history but being in the Valley of Heavyweights, surrounded by Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Louisville and Kentucky, Purdue's a Got Dam midget.......they just can't compete too well in the NCAA tournament and typically flame out fairly early.

That's just a scratching of the surface with that bunch. Most of them are actually smart enough to keep their frigging mouths shut regarding sports. My bro in law and sis in law are both Purdue grads, and highly successful people I might add. They don't say a word about sports during Christmas when I see them. I usually compliment them on Painter's teams as he gets more out of less. But this bunch on the internet, boiler87, BoilerN, even destewart, their old timer, have gotten too damn big for their britches.

They're not a Championship program in the big two sports and UofL, IU, UK, MSU, UM, you know, the schools that actually surround them, certainly are championship programs. Brohm needs to tuck tale and run, there's a chance he ends the season on a little three game skid.

Damn.
Blitzkrieg :eek:

Reactions: td75

They're not a Championship program in the big two sports and UofL, IU, UK, MSU, UM, you know, the schools that actually surround them, certainly are championship programs. Brohm needs to tuck tale and run, there's a chance he ends the season on a little three game skid.

Here’s my question: will IU fans ever have to worry about Tom Allen being poached? Lol

Maybe you’re not up to date on both Purdue and Louisville historically. Maybe this link will give you some perspective.

http://www.winsipedia.com/purdue/vs/louisville

Here’s my question: will IU fans ever have to worry about Tom Allen being poached? Lol

Maybe you’re not up to date on both Purdue and Louisville historically. Maybe this link will give you some perspective.

http://www.winsipedia.com/purdue/vs/louisville
Breaking news::: these Millennials don't give a rat's ass about history and what teams did 20 or 30 or hell, 50 years ago. That's for old timers like you to thump your chest over, lol.

You bring up historical percentages and things that happened in the 1970s as if it still carries heavy clout and it doesn't.

The perception outside of the Louisville fan base is that the UofL athletics department is a dumpster fire. This is based on everything that has happened with Rick Pitino and the basketball program and the fact that you are paying $14MM to the head football coach to leave. That doesn’t mean that Brohm won’t come to UofL to save the program, but the reality is that there aren’t many athletic programs with a worse reputation for doing things the wrong way than Louisville.

Well ncaa basketball in general is a dumpster fire right now then. Our bball program does not make up our whole athletic dept. As far as Bobby’s buyout goes, It’s really not that high compared to others. Hell, Bronco Mendenhall’s (virginia) is higher than Bobby’s.

With today's news, Tyra's burned thru about $40 million that we know about. There ain't much cash left to cover paychecks if the losses continue. Attendance is declining in just about every sport of significance along with that revenue. Donors are MIA. But I can't think of many other reasons... ;)

Ok yeah, Tyra spent our last penny on this buyout, ok bud. Donor’s will be back. As far as attendance slipping...well football will rise with the new hire, not this year though. We have successful programs outside of bball and football. If our athletics dept were a dumpster fire we would not have pulled Mack, nor would we have had the money for Bobby’s buyout, which is what you claimed in the past few months. Am i missing anything?;)

The important difference between us and Purdue at this time--and probably the foreseeable future--is they have a lot more money. I've said before that the person I wanna be in this mess is Brohm's financial planner...

Jeff has developed a good relationship with Drew Brees. Drew is worth $130M and deeply invested. How much value does Brohm place in being able to pickup the phone and call Drew to discuss football,offenses, investing, Purdue, NFL, etc? It’s a small fraternity of former NFL quarterbacks and not many are as involved with their alma mater than Drew. Does that have a value to Brohm? Only he knows the answer to that question.

Breaking news::: these Millennials don't give a rat's ass about history and what teams did 20 or 30 or hell, 50 years ago. That's for old timers like you to thump your chest over, lol.

You bring up historical percentages and things that happened in the 1970s as if it still carries heavy clout and it doesn't.

You have not changed a bit. Hatred is a detriment to rational thought!

I have no problem with Purdue, hell since Brees left and Brohm was hired i hadnt even thought about Purdue. The only reason Purdue fans are even on this board right now is because their scared we’re gonna take their coach. If he stays at Purdue, good for Purdue, i like and respect Brohm too much to attack his team.

Ok yeah, Tyra spent our last penny on this buyout, ok bud. Donor’s will be back. As far as attendance slipping...well football will rise with the new hire, not this year though. We have successful programs outside of bball and football. If our athletics dept were a dumpster fire we would not have pulled Mack, nor would we have had the money for Bobby’s buyout, which is what you claimed in the past few months. Am i missing anything?;)
Mack's got a contract that says he's gonna be paid, and a Taj Mahal of an arena that no one can fill or afford. Petrino had a contract too.

None of that has anything to do with making money. That's Tyra's increasing problem...

Reactions: destewart

Isn’t that what ALL IU fans do??? Thump their chest about what happened 20, 30, or 50 years ago? You are right...nobody gives a shit about ancient history, but it’s literally the only thing IU fans have to talk about.

Reactions: Boilerbuck
Mack's got a contract that says he's gonna be paid, and a Taj Mahal of an arena that no one can fill or afford. Petrino had a contract too.

None of that has anything to do with making money. That's Tyra's increasing problem...

If money were an issue no way would we have fired Petrino with a 15 mil buyout which really only scratches the surface, like you said, of how much this coaching turnaround is really gonna cost. It’s obvious the big wigs at UofL, and im not talking about Vince, have confidence in the fact we will be okay financially. Im hoping the big donors were behind this firing.

In regards to bball attendance, our fans our fickle until we get into the meat and potatoes of our schedule, but we always show out.

As far as the Yum, hey look im not a huge fan. People wanted to hammer UofL and especially Jurich for how great that contract used to be for UofL, Tom had us set up nice. We should have just financed a new on campous arena, but hindsight is 20/20. Im still not happy that many freedom hall season ticket holders got the shaft in favor of corporate money when we made the move.

FWIW, Brees in Cincinnati working today today said off camera, “Not going to happen!”

FWIW, Brees in Cincinnati working today today said off camera, “Not going to happen!”
I've said it before as a longtime U of L fan, Purdue will not lose a bidding war against U of L for Brohm. If Brohm wants the U of L job, it's entirely because of personal ties. And it's TBD whether that's enough...

ADVERTISEMENT