ADVERTISEMENT

Does Petrino make it past Saturday?

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
My sense is that Petrino will be fired this weekend. Cards have an extra day to prepare for NC State and it’s a home game. I think there is a reason you are hearing all the rumors of players filing transfer paperwork. Seems to be strategically disseminated to Ennis and others. I think most foresee a 40+ loss to Cuse tomorrow night on national TV.

We shall see.

My sense is that Petrino will be fired this weekend. Cards have an extra day to prepare for NC State and it’s a home game. I think there is a reason you are hearing all the rumors of players filing transfer paperwork. Seems to be strategically disseminated to Ennis and others. I think most foresee a 40+ loss to Cuse tomorrow night on national TV.

We shall see.
Connecting the dots like that makes sense. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: wilkie01
Mentioned it earlier in the week. Tomorrow’s game will feel like a funeral. Their motivation is gone, but the players need to understand they are now auditioning for next HC

He is a hall of fame coach, one bad year and he is out? Pitino was worse and it took a scandal to get him out. Let him fix this mess

After the Wake Forest game, I heard the same thing from a young journalist who claimed to have connections. Good thing I wasn't holding my breath...

I don’t see any point in firing him after tonight’s game. Syracuse is ranked. We’re supposed to lose to them. What if we pulled the upset (not happening)? You’re not going to get a replacement now with 3 games left on the schedule and how many potential coaching candidates may be going to Bowl games.

There are only 2 reasons to fire a coach during the season:

1) Someone on staff could take over and start winning. UofL doesn’t appear to have anyone that fits the bill, and has no chance of going to a bowl game at this point.

2) You are firing with cause.

Let’s hope it’s reason 2, but if so, why wait until after the game?

I think he'll make it past the UK game.

Bobby has struggled with assistants and experienced some severe losses in his own personal life. He's a damn good coach that's hit a rough patch. Can we afford to keep him while he figures it out? That's for Tyra and UofL to decide.

Would I be surprised if he's let go right after the UK game? No.

Would I be surprised if he's given another year? No

Either way I will continue to renew my season tickets and support my team for the time being.

Reactions: chumlea and zipp
I've been hearing that the last three weeks. Eventually, one of you guys is gonna be right...

I’m feeling fairly confident on this. 4 straight embarrassing efforts + a few open records requests + a few transfer leaks to the media + a coach who isn’t used to being embarrassed on the field = negotiated settlement

Reactions: earsky
$15 million Petrino buyout + $4 million Brohm buyout + $16 million in ULAA losses last year + $8 million (and counting) in losses this year + who knows how much we lose next year and what Pitino costs us =

01_zps2corf63c.jpg

#1) Pitino will “cost us” nothing! He was fired with cause! He should drop his suit while he still has a shred of dignity left.

#2) Knucklehank, you better be right about that negotiated settlement or you’re going to have to eat a lot of crow.

#3) ULAA money is going to come back once the donors feel like the ship has been righted. Getting rid of Bobby is step 1; hiring a good coach is step 2.

$15 million Petrino buyout + $4 million Brohm buyout + $16 million in ULAA losses last year + $8 million (and counting) in losses this year + who knows how much we lose next year and what Pitino costs us =

01_zps2corf63c.jpg

#1) Pitino will “cost us” nothing! He was fired with cause! He should drop his suit while he still has a shred of dignity left.

#2) Knucklehank, you better be right about that negotiated settlement or you’re going to have to eat a lot of crow.

#3) ULAA money is going to come back once the donors feel like the ship has been righted. Getting rid of Bobby is step 1; hiring a good coach is step 2.
Pitino feels the FBI just helped his cause. He and his lawsuit aren't disappearing. U of L better hope he gets reasonable as far as settlement.

And you might wanna inform donors that "the ship has been righted." They're still moving in the other direction...

Pitino feels the FBI just helped his cause. He and his lawsuit aren't disappearing. U of L better hope he gets reasonable as far as settlement.

And you might wanna inform donors that "the ship has been righted." They're still moving in the other direction...
Pitino has always said he didn't know in that context it did help his case. The problem is his assistants broke NCAA rules multiple times. He is responsible for their actions. I don't think he gets it all, but he will get something. The fact that he can even claim anything speaks to the contract.

If Vince doesn’t hit the eject button this weekend, it wasn’t because he didn’t have the authority. Thought it would happen this weekend, but guess we are stuck with two more weeks of this. Not the right decision in my opinion but so be it. Attendance is going to be horrible these last two games. As a glutton for punishment I’ll be there though.

Reactions: GoldCard
If Vince doesn’t hit the eject button this weekend, it wasn’t because he didn’t have the authority. Thought it would happen this weekend, but guess we are stuck with two more weeks of this. Not the right decision in my opinion but so be it. Attendance is going to be horrible these last two games. As a glutton for punishment I’ll be there though.
I definitely think that this weekend is still in play, lots and lots of smoke.

Pitino is wrong. Per testimony at the trial, Kenny Johnson handed Brian Bowen Senior $1300 cash while UofL was already on probation for Pitino’s hookergate BS. He’s going to get nothing.

The guy was apparently the Sergeant Schulz of college basketball.

Last edited:
Do you think attendance would better if he was gone? Not by much if any, the situations are never as easy as people think especially with the contracts being one sided. Hell, they may be force to keep who knows because of the finances. We will see.

Do you think attendance would better if he was gone? Not by much if any, the situations are never as easy as people think especially with the contracts being one sided. Hell, they may be force to keep who knows because of the finances. We will see.

I think if they fired him there will be a few folks that come to show specific support for the kids. However it probably won’t matter a whole lot either way. I’m still undecided how much recruiting is affected if you can him now or in two weeks.

Selfishly I am glad that the big 10 championship is no longer in play for Purdue. It makes things slightly less complicated and pushes up the timetable for action on a replacement.

Reactions: wilkie01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT