ADVERTISEMENT

Does Louisville cover against Charlotte?

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
The line ranges from UofL -38.5 to -39.5. The worst loss the 49ers took last year was a 59 point beat down by MTSU. UK pounded them by 48. They won 2 games in 2015. I think the obvious answer is yes, UofL will cover. But the only thing holding me back is the starters getting pulled and first game rust.

I expect A LOT of deep bench players playing by the middle of the 3rd quarter so with that in mind, I will not be betting on this game.

Honestly, I am more interested in seeing the defense than the offense. I know Petrino will have the offense playing better this year, so I'm more curious about the D.

Reactions: beasleythecard
My guess would be that we don't cover. Charlotte is very likely significantly better than they were last year - they were very young last year and have even more players coming back this year than UofL does. They also have a former University of Miami QB transferring in. We should beat them, but I am not thinking that we do so by more than 30 points.

The transfer qb will make them better than they were last year. We'll come close to covering but I wouldn't touch that bet with a 20 foot pole.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

And if the Cards win by less than 48 what is the over-under on how long it takes for a Catspause post touting it as evidence the mighty SEC kittens have overtaken UofL?
We all know the answer to that. Never mind that it's a different year with different players. That won't matter at all. If the Cardinals fail to win by more than 48, then the tide has turned! LMAO!!

My guess would be that we don't cover. Charlotte is very likely significantly better than they were last year - they were very young last year and have even more players coming back this year than UofL does. They also have a former University of Miami QB transferring in. We should beat them, but I am not thinking that we do so by more than 30 points.
That's the classic UK argument- look at how many players we have returning. But bad players returning are most likely still bad players.

That's the classic UK argument- look at how many players we have returning. But bad players returning are most likely still bad players.

Certainly, we should have a very big edge in talent. We have two players on Phil Steele's 4 All American teams (Fields and Harvey-Clemons). We have 12 players on Steele's 4 All-ACC teams, while Charlotte has 7 all-CUSA players. We have 6 players on Steele's draft eligible top players list; Charlotte has only one: Larry Ogunjobi is listed as the #14 DT, and should be the best DT on the field. DeAngelo Brown is ranked #37.

My thought in saying that we won't cover is that, assuming we play really well, we will get a big lead and empty the bench. I'm expecting that we get both Bolin and Pass in the game. It's going to be a long season, and we have 11 other games that should be very competitive. I expect that Charlotte will be talented enough to make up a little of the deficit in the fourth quarter.

We can "light up the scoreboard" and still not cover if we have the 3rd D in in the 4th.

And I'm more of the attitude to keep people healthy, and build depth, than "covering" in a meaningless game. Or any game for that matter. Just win is the main goal in my book.

As I've said before, I never bet on UL games because we can win, and you can still be pissed. And you can be double pissed if it goes real bad. ;)

Last edited:
The offense will be Vanilla, but the talent could still cover the spread. I haven't decided yet, but leaning towards giving the pts and taking the under

Win by a few TD's, look sound, and don't get any injuries. That's how this game is won.

This team is pretty young. I don't see the starters being pulled in the 3rd quarter unless the score is just ridiculous.

I expect A LOT of deep bench players playing by the middle of the 3rd quarter so with that in mind, I will not be betting on this game.

Honestly, I am more interested in seeing the defense than the offense. I know Petrino will have the offense playing better this year, so I'm more curious about the D.

I also doubt the starters will see past the 2nd quarter

Reactions: American Male
Certainly, we should have a very big edge in talent. We have two players on Phil Steele's 4 All American teams (Fields and Harvey-Clemons). We have 12 players on Steele's 4 All-ACC teams, while Charlotte has 7 all-CUSA players. We have 6 players on Steele's draft eligible top players list; Charlotte has only one: Larry Ogunjobi is listed as the #14 DT, and should be the best DT on the field. DeAngelo Brown is ranked #37.

My thought in saying that we won't cover is that, assuming we play really well, we will get a big lead and empty the bench. I'm expecting that we get both Bolin and Pass in the game. It's going to be a long season, and we have 11 other games that should be very competitive. I expect that Charlotte will be talented enough to make up a little of the deficit in the fourth quarter.
You really think Pass will play and not redshirt? I see no reason to play Pass this season unless there's an injury.

The line ranges from UofL -38.5 to -39.5. The worst loss the 49ers took last year was a 59 point beat down by MTSU. UK pounded them by 48. They won 2 games in 2015. I think the obvious answer is yes, UofL will cover. But the only thing holding me back is the starters getting pulled and first game rust.
LAMAR says we got score more points this year! I say we do!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT