ADVERTISEMENT

Did a little reading on the Central Florida Golden Knights

Pervis_Griffith

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I was reading a little bit about one of our out-of-conference opponents next year, the Central Florida Golden Knights, and I gotta say ... they aren't as bad as you would think.

Pretty good returning QB - Former P5 Head Coach now leading them - Defensive line grad transfer from Western Kentucky ....

Watch out --- Disney Tech may be tougher than we think.

I was reading a little bit about one of our out-of-conference opponents next year, the Central Florida Golden Knights, and I gotta say ... they aren't as bad as you would think.

Pretty good returning QB - Former P5 Head Coach now leading them - Defensive line grad transfer from Western Kentucky ....

I got my easy street attitude adjustment this year in baseball. After last year’s performance, let’s hope our FB team is focused and hungry for success.

UCF has had a very respectable program since George O’Learly arrived to the program in 2004. They have played in 12 bowl games and won 6 Conference Championships since 2005. Hell, they’re just 3 years removed from an undefeated season and Final #1 ranking in one poll in 2017. And now with Gus Malzahn as HC, I only see good thIngs for that program. I’ve always enjoyed a Gus Malzahn offense. They are no joke; we will need to be on our “A“ game to get that win.

Central Florida could have developed into a little rivalry for us.

I'm looking forward to this game against the Golden Knights.

Reactions: gocds
I think UCF improved itself as far as head coaches. Heupel ran up gaudy numbers, especially against weak teams.
Offense....period. I think they have a much more solid head coach and will again be bowl bound.
Not an easy out for anyone.

I think UCF improved itself as far as head coaches. Heupel ran up gaudy numbers, especially against weak teams.
Offense....period. I think they have a much more solid head coach and will again be bowl bound.
Question for you Bill, your schedule has only 3 really tough games (LSU,Florida,Georgia) we won 4 games last year and are easily your toughest OOC game, why is that? Everyone is talking about how good Kentucky is going to be (based on what I don’t know) so why such a lame OOC schedule?

Reactions: gocds and Deeva
Question for you Bill, your schedule has only 3 really tough games (LSU,Florida,Georgia) we won 4 games last year and are easily your toughest OOC game, why is that? Everyone is talking about how good Kentucky is going to be (based on what I don’t know) so why such a lame OOC schedule?
Fair question. Some blue fans are asking the same.
Those three ARE tough....but Missouri is picked ahead of us pre season, Mississippi State is in cowbell palace with a vengeful Leach at the helm and Tennessee...well...the world knows. We owe that team 30 beatings to call it even

The age old reason is in those three letters....SEC. truth is likely closer to we THINK the Cats are gonna be better, but no way to know. To be honest, I've no clue when these contracts were signed...two months or two years.

I think a good majority of Cats fans would like to see series again against Indiana And Cincinnati...which right now would not only be competitive but help in recruiting markets.

LAST year was brutal with an all SEC schedule. Cats won 4 they should, lost 4 we all figured....Even though Auburn was a gut burn, gave away one they should have won (old Miss), and I will believe till the players say different lost their heart with Schlarmans sickness and were likely as good forfeiting Missouri...but life and football go on.

Even though we all say ' Well it was Bama', the beating the Cats got from the tide was epic and the one from Florida was disappointing.

Reality for me is Kentucky is replacing two all SEC linemen on offense, will have a new quarterback, New OC. New O line coach and scheme. Lost two secondary and a fine linebacker AND run stopper to the NFL

Gonna take at least three games to sync all that up.

Just me, I think this season two of those first three games are necessary.
I WOULD (and I think most fans lean that way) like to see a different P5 team in the OOC. Since Cats and Cards are mandated...that is what it is. I'd just as soon that be week 1 than week 12.

But to be real, real, real honest.....it ain't ancient history that Kentucky was everyone's homecoming game.

Bottom line...I do think Kentucky is better than any time since late 70s. Trick is staying there and continuing to get better. I like what Stoops has done with building a program and is doing.

UCF has Florida speed and talent. They recruit like a mid to low tier power 5 program. Malzahn has been successful everywhere he's called plays. They're a challenge forsure.

Please call them Central Florida, or the Golden Knights on this forum. It's a Memphis State thing.

Thank you.

:D

Thanks Bill.

Please call them Central Florida or the Golden Knights on these forums. It's a Memphis State thing.

Thanks!!

Please call them Central Florida, or the Golden Knights on this forum. It's a Memphis State thing.

Thank you.

I'll follow the rules haha

But I never developed a hatred for their program.

sUcKs, WVU, Memphis State, & Cincy have my hate. I kind of look at the Gold Knights as just a team like we were trying to move their way up in a state with Florida, FSU, & Miami trying to hold them down.

Reactions: Rollem Cards

"Not as bad as you would think?" I don't think that at all. They are team numero uno when it comes to the G5 in my book. Plus, we sucked last year. Sucked bad. No team on the 2021 schedule should be looked down upon or overlooked.

Fair question. Some blue fans are asking the same.
Those three ARE tough....but Missouri is picked ahead of us pre season, Mississippi State is in cowbell palace with a vengeful Leach at the helm and Tennessee...well...the world knows. We owe that team 30 beatings to call it even

The age old reason is in those three letters....SEC. truth is likely closer to we THINK the Cats are gonna be better, but no way to know. To be honest, I've no clue when these contracts were signed...two months or two years.

I think a good majority of Cats fans would like to see series again against Indiana And Cincinnati...which right now would not only be competitive but help in recruiting markets.

LAST year was brutal with an all SEC schedule. Cats won 4 they should, lost 4 we all figured....Even though Auburn was a gut burn, gave away one they should have won (old Miss), and I will believe till the players say different lost their heart with Schlarmans sickness and were likely as good forfeiting Missouri...but life and football go on.

Even though we all say ' Well it was Bama', the beating the Cats got from the tide was epic and the one from Florida was disappointing.

Reality for me is Kentucky is replacing two all SEC linemen on offense, will have a new quarterback, New OC. New O line coach and scheme. Lost two secondary and a fine linebacker AND run stopper to the NFL

Gonna take at least three games to sync all that up.

Just me, I think this season two of those first three games are necessary.
I WOULD (and I think most fans lean that way) like to see a different P5 team in the OOC. Since Cats and Cards are mandated...that is what it is. I'd just as soon that be week 1 than week 12.

But to be real, real, real honest.....it ain't ancient history that Kentucky was everyone's homecoming game.

Bottom line...I do think Kentucky is better than any time since late 70s. Trick is staying there and continuing to get better. I like what Stoops has done with building a program and is doing.
You like the culture Stoops has built? Two coaches have recently been arrested. UK players act like complete thugs on the field. Remember that one player who threw a trash can at one of our guys? A trash can!! You know, wins are nice, but at what cost? There's a reason Stoops is never considered for a better job.

"Not as bad as you would think?" I don't think that at all. They are team numero uno when it comes to the G5 in my book. Plus, we sucked last year. Sucked bad. No team on the 2021 schedule should be looked down upon or overlooked.

"Looked down upon" and "overlooked" are two totally different things. But I hear what you are saying.

I can look down on Disney Tech rather easily.

But I don't want my team over-looking their football team at all.

Central Florida can put together talented rosters given their geography and the Golden Knights have recent success to point to, making it easier for them to sustain their ability to recruit.

"Looked down upon" and "overlooked" are two totally different things. But I hear what you are saying.

I can look down on Disney Tech rather easily.

But I don't want my team over-looking their football team at all.

Central Florida can put together talented rosters given their geography and the Golden Knights have recent success to point to, making it easier for them to sustain their ability to recruit.

Yes, that's why I said "or" instead of "and." It would not surprise me at all if UCF beats our Cards, and beats them convincingly.

Yes, that's why I said "or" instead of "and." It would not surprise me at all if UCF beats our Cards, and beats them convincingly.

It would surprise me ... New coach, new systems, usually means some transition time happens. A beat down by Central Florida at our house, in year 3 of a new coaching system would be shocking.

Reactions: gocds and Bird--man
You like the culture Stoops has built? Two coaches have recently been arrested. UK players act like complete thugs on the field. Remember that one player who threw a trash can at one of our guys? A trash can!! You know, wins are nice, but at what cost? There's a reason Stoops is never considered for a better job.
Getting ready to pick up a big time o-line xfer from LSU too. Was going on his 3rd suspension, so he bolted. He should fit in quite nicely.

It would surprise me ... New coach, new systems, usually means some transition time happens. A beat down by Central Florida at our house, in year 3 of a new coaching system would be shocking.
It’s not a rebuild situation. They have an abundance of talent and they significantly upgraded their coach. They do play Boise to start the season, but UofL is their marquee OOC opponent for 2021. They’ll be ready to play. I’d say they are better than us on paper right now. Come week 3, we’ll see.

Compared to things we have had other than Brooks and Claiborne, he''s better.

Getting ready to pick up a big time o-line xfer from LSU too. Was going on his 3rd suspension, so he bolted. He should fit in quite nicely.
That one is a head scratcher. Kid is a left tackle....which is the position Kinnard passed up the draft to play. High risk sign up (if he does).
One of those let's see what plays out kids. Hes hit a couple big wins, hes also been called on the AD carpet for some.

Compared to things we have had other than Brooks and Claiborne, he''s better.
Better at what, exactly, regarding the program's current culture? I'm not talking wins and losses. I'm talking player behavior, coaches getting arrested, the reputation UK football now has. I'm honestly kind of surprised Barnhart puts up with it, given his boy scout persona.

Better at what, exactly, regarding the program's current culture? I'm not talking wins and losses. I'm talking player behavior, coaches getting arrested, the reputation UK football now has. I'm honestly kind of surprised Barnhart puts up with it, given his boy scout persona.
That's a fair enough statement. No body was proud of the meltdown against Louisville....and if you read the ADs statement, I think it's reasonable there was a shot fired really, really close to the bow. Just pointing out, the two players involved didnt take another snap after that game.
As for the coaches....not good. Also "legally" a bit muddier than the original click headline.
Cats have their issues. Like everyone. I have to point out local media is a whole lot quicker to point out flaws in the two big schools than say....Tennessee media, or Alabama media.
But in fairness...I would like to ask you in return if UofL would accept a player with some jagged edges like say Lynn Bowden.
As far as coaches....let's be honest CardX.....dont all fan bases tend to overlook failings...in hirings, personalities, attitudes....when wins come at a higher level?

That's a fair enough statement. No body was proud of the meltdown against Louisville....and if you read the ADs statement, I think it's reasonable there was a shot fired really, really close to the bow. Just pointing out, the two players involved didnt take another snap after that game.
As for the coaches....not good. Also "legally" a bit muddier than the original click headline.
Cats have their issues. Like everyone. I have to point out local media is a whole lot quicker to point out flaws in the two big schools than say....Tennessee media, or Alabama media.
But in fairness...I would like to ask you in return if UofL would accept a player with some jagged edges like say Lynn Bowden.
As far as coaches....let's be honest CardX.....dont all fan bases tend to overlook failings...in hirings, personalities, attitudes....when wins come at a higher level?
Louisville has taken some characters through the years, as well, that is for sure. My biggest argument is Stoops does little after the implosions. The Jordan Jones kid gets 2-3 personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties and then comes back in the 4th quarter? Obvious situations where shit is being started simply to provoke teams. The Kyle Bolin year before the game was atrocious. Several other examples and if that was UofL Franklin and Jones would be losing their minds on social media and their talk shows.

When building up a program, I get it. You want your guys to be tough, maybe get a little mouthy and chippy. You know, prove something. JLS did that, no question. Eventually, though, you move on, take a different approach. Stoops seems content with the culture being what it is. There's an eventual price to pay with that, however, and I think we are starting to see it happen right now. And, yes, as fans, if wins are coming, we can overlook a lot of things. But, when things start adding up, and there's one thing after another, you get a little tired of it.

Wins are nice? Stoops is 49-50 at Kentucky. I guess that’ll probably get him a statue.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Is this the Central Disney University game thread or the obsessed with the Bluenecks thread?

Still pissed at Charlie Strong for allowing a second half 21 point lead evaporate.
I still have nightmares of Bortles throwing that backside screen pass to left to the Tight End and RB Storm Johnson the whole 2nd Half and our defense never adjusted.

I also remember what a beautiful warm fall night it was and how painfully it ended.

This past few years, UCF is the new Boisie State....the team a lot of folks laugh about and overlook until they knock you on your can.
Talent rich area with plenty of kids that didnt get a ride at Miami or the big state school, and Florida State let the guy go that probably COULD have been the long time heir to Bobby Bowden.

It looked like a horse race between the Golden Hurricane and South Florida for a bit....but the Bulls flew too close to the sun and melted.
The very fact that Central Florida hired a name like Malzahn shows how invested they are and how deep their pockets can go.

This past few years, UCF is the new Boisie State....the team a lot of folks laugh about and overlook until they knock you on your can.
Talent rich area with plenty of kids that didnt get a ride at Miami or the big state school, and Florida State let the guy go that probably COULD have been the long time heir to Bobby Bowden.

It looked like a horse race between the Golden Hurricane and South Florida for a bit....but the Bulls flew too close to the sun and melted.
The very fact that Central Florida hired a name like Malzahn shows how invested they are and how deep their pockets can go.
All right...I've had enough of your crap...I have a bias toward Kat fans and your lone UK voice on this board is a bit too rational to fit with said bias...I need some confirmation from the usual bone heads that expose their lack if formal education and general shallow thinking to make me feel content with previously mentioned bias. As far as UCF? They can loose every game for a decade and I'll be happy. Two fan bases that have earned my ire are UK and UCF. No kind words here...ever...for these programs. Please for God's sake let this thread end!

• Haha
Reactions: billoliver40
I never understood why some of our fanbase were overlooking this game. That team has more talent than ours and now have a very good coach .

I never understood why some of our fanbase were overlooking this game. That team has more talent than ours and now have a very good coach .
I am cautious on our team this year, but I do feel like we are at a point we SHOULD feel this way. Do not overlook anyone (Houston 2015 & 2016 anyone???), but we have shown that we can beat teams on a lower level and Satt in year 3 needs to be able to look at these games and feel confident we can win.

Now, the short week, their overall talent, and coaching staff do make this a scary game, but when we pay Satt this kind of money and we are ACC, we as fans should feel confident. IF we arent confident then there is an issue in the program.

Is this the Central Disney University game thread or the obsessed with the Bluenecks thread?

EXACTLY.

Blueneck nonsense can have it's own 274 threads. Let's keep this purely focused on Disney Tech ... er ... um ... the Central Florida Golden Knights.

The Central Florida Golden Knights deserve their own thread. They are, after all, the self appointed 2017 college football national champions. (Incidentally, by beating their current head coach in the Peach Bowl.)

Show the Central Florida Golden Knights the respect they are due!

Central Florida (-3) at Louisville, Sept. 17: This is definitely one of the swing games on the Cardinals’ schedule in front of what should be an amped Friday night crowd. UCF went 6-4 last season, but former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn arrived to replace Josh Heupel, who left for Tennessee. The Knights return 17 starters. Phil Steele picked UCF to finish second in the American Athletic Conference.

giphy.gif

Can’t wait to explore Louisville for the weekend.

Should be a blast! I think we’re bringing quite a few for this one.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Charge On! ⚔️

UCFTouchdown.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT