ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

Louis III

3500+
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2018
Let me preface this by saying I think Petrino's best days are behind him.

We can only blame previous recruiting, coaching decisions, etc., but we only have 6 seniors on our 2 deep depth chart. There are a lot of holes, but putting that in perspective and knowing that we truly only lose 3-4 starters on both sides of the ball, could set this team up for an improved year.

I've said it on here numerous times, our schedule next year is pretty rough, but you never know.

Whether its CBP, Brohm or friggin Luke Fickel we should take a step forward next year.

I don't think anyone is arguing that there isn't talent on the roster. I think the right staff could have won 7 games with the current roster we have.

I think my biggest issue is the fact that many don't think this staff is right for where Louisville needs/wants to go. Recruiting, developing, preparing and playcalling are simply not going to get where we need them to be in order for Louisville to raise its status as a program.

The offensive line is a train wreck and they brought supposedly some studs, Bentley, Becton, Chandler, and the guy that transfer. Chandler can't make it on the field so move his ass to Dline or at least look at him over there. The kid that transferred there is no way he as bad as 77 who is a senior? If the line is going to suck go young. Complete mismanagement of the roster which leads to no development.

The offensive line is a train wreck and they brought supposedly some studs, Bentley, Becton, Chandler, and the guy that transfer. Chandler can't make it on the field so move his ass to Dline or at least look at him over there. The kid that transferred there is no way he as bad as 77 who is a senior? If the line is going to suck go young. Complete mismanagement of the roster which leads to no development.

Becton is a stud. You'll rarely here his name mentioned during the game and that shows you how good he is. The rest of the line is a dumpster fire.

I get what you are saying Louis III but having youth to this degree is 100% on BP. Completely agree with you that next year we should take a nice step forward.

This is another thing that baffles me with BP. Good coaches do not put themselves in these situations as they recruit to with experience in mind. The only times that a coach can get a bye on this are if he is in his first 2-3 years or his team lost a TON of players early to the draft. Neither of which describe us.

Plan and simple, this is a huge coaching mistake by not balancing scholarships and ensuring you have experience spread throughout both sides of the ball.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I get what you are saying Louis III but having youth to this degree is 100% on BP. Completely agree with you that next year we should take a nice step forward.

This is another thing that baffles me with BP. Good coaches do not put themselves in these situations as they recruit to with experience in mind. The only times that a coach can get a bye on this are if he is in his first 2-3 years or his team lost a TON of players early to the draft. Neither of which describe us.

Plan and simple, this is a huge coaching mistake by not balancing scholarships and ensuring you have experience spread throughout both sides of the ball.

UofL did lose 3 players early to the draft last year: Jackson, Alexander, and Christian. That's probably the most in UofL history, and for those on here who want to say Petrino cannot recruit, he did sign all three of those guys.

Its simple. Recruiting has never been Bobby's best attribute. I'm honestly shocked he gets any kid to come play for him. I can't imagine being an 18 year old kid and meeting Bobby Petrino and deciding this is the man I want to play for. Combine that with the fact that your staff is more important in college football than any other sport in America. Kids come to their school for their coordinators and their positions coaches just as much as they do the HC and the school. Petrino's staff is a revolving door of nobody assistants and family members.

In order to win at a place like Louisville you have to do what someone like say....Jeff Brohm is doing at Purdue. Be exciting, energetic, inspire talented kids that wouldn't normally come to your school to come to your school (Rondale Moore)....you either have to get better players or make sure the players you do have are executing the scheme to perfection. But if you have players not giving their all, playing sloppy and turning the ball over then you get a 2-5 season. But they've been playing that way for 3 years, Lamar was just able to bail them out some times.

Reactions: ULGrad09
UofL did lose 3 players early to the draft last year: Jackson, Alexander, and Christian. That's probably the most in UofL history, and for those on here who want to say Petrino cannot recruit, he did sign all three of those guys.

No debating that 2 of those 3 were game changers. That still though is only 3 players (14% of starting 22). When I say TON of players I mean 6-7+.

I never said BP can't recruit. I said that BP is not planning his recruiting like he needs too.

No debating that 2 of those 3 were game changers. That still though is only 3 players (14% of starting 22). When I say TON of players I mean 6-7+.

I never said BP can't recruit. I said that BP is not planning his recruiting like he needs too.

I guess I pay more attention to the roster than others do, because I always saw this as a rebuilding year. I understood what we had in Jackson during 2015, when everyone was debating about whether we should be going with Kyle Bolin, Reggie Bonnafon or Jackson, and I'm absolutely certain that Petrino knew he had a special player in Jackson almost from the moment he signed him.

Because of that certainly, he purposely built his roster around having a veteran supporting cast for Jackson in 2016 and 2017. He took multiple upper class transfers that would be seniors in both of those years with the express purpose of winning an ACC Atlantic Division championship in at least one of those two seasons. He came within 5 yards of doing just that in 2016. Grantham bailing on him after the 2016 season (and also losing Alexander very early that year until game 11) screwed up our chances in 2017.

Bottom line here is he took a calculated gamble with the roster, and it didn't work. And a certain very unforgiving segment of our fan base won't ever give him any credit for tying the eventual national champion Clemson Tigers for the Division title - an accomplishment that without any doubt is tougher than any championship that any UofL football coach has ever won.

So all of that to say that I understand the sentiment that it's Petrino's fault for screwing up the roster for 2018. Just know that his heart was in the right place in doing so ... he was trying to build a roster around Jackson that could beat Florida State and Clemson. And he almost did.

I agree this was always going to be a rebuilding year especially after Jackson left. On paper they recruited a really strong Oline group 2 years ago. Becton is really good, I think Bentley is good but probably not a center. The other positions are seniors that are really struggling if the young guys can't beat these guys out how bad are they? Why would we expect the line to improve?

To me that is what is what is concerning, no development or miss evaluated players. Bell getting hurt was a really big deal and no option at other tackle spot.

Petrino's play calling is as concerning to me as anything. His play calls don't seem to mask our weaknesses at all.

"Our Oline sucks and our QB lacks confidence? Better call deep pass plays that take 4 and 5 seconds to develop."

Reactions: Mayoman
Some good points made and I am one of those that really question some of the staff decisions, but it's CBP's team. Letting Dennison go to Oregon was a HUGE mistake as there is no way possible he would have been worse than Peter Sirmon, plus he was our best recruiter.

Big "IF" here, but if he keeps Dennison and like I have said on here numerous times, found a way to get Paul back here with him, things would look totally different. But......it's not, so it won't.

Bobby has added fuel to his detractors with the play calling.

He had time to know what he had and instead of using the KISS system, he tried things that put a lot of pressure on Puma/receivers, etc.

A 1st down on the first drive vs GT would not would have restored some faith. But we went for the TD that we SHOULD have gotten.

FSU is another. If we’re rebuilding, build confidence too. Instead we have QB’s second guessing instead of playing, with fans saying they “suck”.

I hope we can fix it.

Becton is a stud. You'll rarely here his name mentioned during the game and that shows you how good he is. The rest of the line is a dumpster fire.
McNeil is having a terrible year. The dude can’t even figure out the snap count. Can’t anybody beat him out?

Some good points made and I am one of those that really question some of the staff decisions, but it's CBP's team. Letting Dennison go to Oregon was a HUGE mistake as there is no way possible he would have been worse than Peter Sirmon, plus he was our best recruiter.

Big "IF" here, but if he keeps Dennison and like I have said on here numerous times, found a way to get Paul back here with him, things would look totally different. But......it's not, so it won't.
Most people are ripping CBP for family hires. Even though Paul was here before, it’s a bridge too far under the nepotism rules. However, I agree that Bobby as best when his brother coached with him.

Coach Petrino has always been an tough guy to play for, but according to Eric Wood he tells the players many of you won't make it through my practices because they are so tough. However, if you do embrace it you will be ready for the NFL. That message is clear and frankly it worked. The problem that message is not being heard this go around especially with this team and basically since Houston. I saw a program aligned in 2016 then the players stopped listening.

It becomes a cultural thing which I think they had his first go around. This time something isn't right which basically means the program as a whole is not aligned with Coach. A head coach is only as good as his assistants, it has always been that way. The assistants get him players, the assistants prepare the game plan, and solidify the cultural of the head coach. When a team is this bad his assistants have let him down or he has held them accountable,

That is why I don't think they can turn this around this year or next.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT