ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

CardHack

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
1. I said it last year but...I have never seen so many players take the field even within a drive as what Louisville is doing defensively. That would suggest we'd be susceptible to a no huddle/hurryup look but Ron English seems to have found a secret sauce to it. I'm still trying to figure out how he is sliding into a Dime Package with putting Tamarion McDonald down into the Tackle box and getting Devin Neal on. If teams are in situations where Louisville goes with Gillotte inside as an DT, one DL, the LEO position and McDonald walked down with either Watts or Perry still on...that means alot of 3rd and very longs. All of that says to me this is going to be a very dominant 3rd and long defense.

2. Still using a bunch of Bears look sliding Gillotte down heads up on an OT. Konga looks to have poked his nose ahead of the other DT newcomers but Guerard didn't play and he is statistically the most disruptive of the DTs. Tramel Logan was impressive at LEO.

3. Not much action for the LBs and I'm still trying to figure that out as well. With those Bears fronts Clark slid over a TE. Perry and Watts were active as always and Capers INT was a very instinctive jump of a route out of the slot.

4. Good to see MJ Griffin, but of all of the people listed as safeties Tamarion McDonald was extremely impressive because he seemed to be featured in Dime down in the tackle box as stated earlier. Hutchinson and Neal weren't quiet, they just didn't get much opportunity to shine because AP didn't break into the second level.

5. This should be said, we're alot more than Asthon Gillotte and a bunch of dudes in the front seven; almost a No Name Defense because it is the very definition of the Whole is better than the parts. Don't get wrapped up in having a really good analytics defense but no recognition for individual players as All-League sorts.

6. Corners haven't been mentioned but...Quincy Riley has practically been taken for granted; fortunately AP didn't demonstrate they could challenge anyone downfield so they go into next week sort of anonymous. They attacked the bubble and short screen actions with physicality.

7. ...and not only lastly but most importantly...this is a four game season right now with 4 disparate offensive challenges: 1. the RPO actions from Ga Tech, 2. the whatever it is Notre Dame is trying to accomplish with a new coordinator and Riley Leonard as QB, 3. containment of Cameron Ward who as God is my witness might be the reincarnation of Charlie Ward, and 4. forcing TOs down in Death Valley early. If you rate my concerns they are heaviest with Ga Tech and Miami; both with quality O lines and dynamics at QB. I have come to the conclusion that Klubnik and Riley Leonard kind of suck for their scheme and are QBs better suited to being QBs at Nebraska in the late 90's more than a modern day QB.

I like the depth and rotations. They want to keep everyone fresh. The roster was built for a 12 game schedule.

Their scheme is very aggressive. Which overwhelms lesser Olines. Notre Dame and Miami offensive lines seem to be legit. Both are going to extremely difficult games.

I think the season is going to come down to avoiding a loss to one of the following GT, Virginia SMU, Stanford, Pitt or BC. They should beat all those teams but they could lay an egg. Then finally beat Clemson. This would be a hell of a year. I think they end up 9-3 they will have a let down somewhere. It just happens.

If their only 2 losses are to Notre Dame and Miami they should be in a good position to make the playoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsFirst
This was a fun read but not sure why you're reducing to 4 game season.
Because those 4 teams--and how we defend them--determine our postseason fate. We can get to Charlotte going 2-1 against the group of Ga Tech, Miami and Clemson. We could only get an at-large if we sweep ND and UK out of conference--on the road which is unrealistic though I think we match up very well with Notre Dame.

When we play Miami they will be coming off a Bye week. When we play Clemson--so are they. So the depth we have overall in our program is going to be critical in that stretch because our Bye week comes AFTER the Clemson game. It's possible we are getting Lacy back for Clemson; I am not sure about Reiger.

Because those 4 teams--and how we defend them--determine our postseason fate. We can get to Charlotte going 2-1 against the group of Ga Tech, Miami and Clemson. We could only get an at-large if we sweep ND and UK out of conference--on the road which is unrealistic though I think we match up very well with Notre Dame.

When we play Miami they will be coming off a Bye week. When we play Clemson--so are they. So the depth we have overall in our program is going to be critical in that stretch because our Bye week comes AFTER the Clemson game. It's possible we are getting Lacy back for Clemson; I am not sure about Reiger.
Oh. So the rest of the games are in the bag. Cool.

AP was not a good measurement, but I cannot recall a more impressive dominating first game in my 60+ years of watching UL football.

I said it earlier and it bears repeating ...... parity as arrived in college football, particularly in the ACC. it is possible that Clemson and FSU will find themselves struggling to finish anywhere close to the top of the ACC. Just having watching VT, Louisville, GT, Miami, FSU and Clemson ................ UL, Miami and GT have each pushed FSU and Clemson down several notches.

I agree about UL just playing one game at a time; focusing on our depth as a way to avoid injuries.

Reactions: JTMPR
AP was not a good measurement, but I cannot recall a more impressive dominating first game in my 60+ years of watching UL football.

I said it earlier and it bears repeating ...... parity as arrived in college football, particularly in the ACC. it is possible that Clemson and FSU will find themselves struggling to finish anywhere close to the top of the ACC. Just having watching VT, Louisville, GT, Miami, FSU and Clemson ................ UL, Miami and GT have each pushed FSU and Clemson down several notches.

I agree about UL just playing one game at a time; focusing on our depth as a way to avoid injuries.
I just don't get all this praise for GT. Yes, they're better than they have been in years, but I didn't see anything like UofL or Miami in the two games they have played so far. In fact, BC looked better against FSU than GT did.

GT's win over FSU now should be seen for what it was. A decent win over a way overrated team and their win over Georgia State was an even less impressive win. Remember a few years ago Syracuse started off 5 and 0 only to finish with 5 losses? I think GT is very similar.

Haynes King didn't throw a TD pass against FSU's leaky defense, so how's he going to fare against one of the strongest defenses in Louisville?

Miami looked great even though it too was against a subpar team with a big name in Florida. I do believe however, Cam Ward may do for Miami what Jordan Travis did for FSU last season.

The jury is still out with Tyler Shough for Louisville until the GT game. He looks the part of a great QB, but until he performs against a good team, we just don't know for sure.

What I do know for sure is Louisville has the best defense in the ACC and if the offense under Shough shines, the Cards will probably face Miami a 2nd time in the ACC championship game.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
When I was watching Florida State last night--and to a lesser extent Clemson against UGa--I couldn't help but hear Herb Brooks' pregame speech in Miracle..."Their time is done. It’s over. I’m sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have." Good or bad, how many people in our program know what it feels like to lose to Clemson? Michael Gonzalez was a starter two years ago when we died inside the five like we have done no less than three times to them. Gilotte, Riley and MJ Griffin...but otherwise a program full of people who won't go into that game as snake bit as some would like to think.

One of the areas Dabo Swinney is really missing the boat--and I'd submit a few others with FSU saying they relied too much on the Portal--is we have used the Portal for defensive depth and to get our starting QB. Swinney has put alot of faith in his ability to evaluate kids out of HS, and if you miss, or they don't develop your overall depth--and overall experience--suffer as a result.

GaTech concerns me to the extent we saw what they could do against us in one quarter last year; they have an offense that is tough to simulate behind a quality O line. Those types of teams you had better have a plus turnover margin against because they can score in flurries. They look undersized but they are really tough.

Reactions: 2330859 and Mayoman
When I was watching Florida State last night--and to a lesser extent Clemson against UGa--I couldn't help but hear Herb Brooks' pregame speech in Miracle..."Their time is done. It’s over. I’m sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have." Good or bad, how many people in our program know what it feels like to lose to Clemson? Michael Gonzalez was a starter two years ago when we died inside the five like we have done no less than three times to them. Gilotte, Riley and MJ Griffin...but otherwise a program full of people who won't go into that game as snake bit as some would like to think.

One of the areas Dabo Swinney is really missing the boat--and I'd submit a few others with FSU saying they relied too much on the Portal--is we have used the Portal for defensive depth and to get our starting QB. Swinney has put alot of faith in his ability to evaluate kids out of HS, and if you miss, or they don't develop your overall depth--and overall experience--suffer as a result.

GaTech concerns me to the extent we saw what they could do against us in one quarter last year; they have an offense that is tough to simulate behind a quality O line. Those types of teams you had better have a plus turnover margin against because they can score in flurries. They look undersized but they are really tough.
Well, haven't seen that through two games this season. Too much is being put into that game last season against Louisville. GT was at home and nothing was expected from them. UofL had a brand new coaching philosophy and they were just starting.

It took the 2nd half before Brohms offense got it going leading to the comeback win. This season none of that applies in the rematch. GT is a darling of the media and the Cards in Brohms 2nd season look like they're in mid-season form. And it's a home game for Louisville.

I think GT will be coming back down to reality after playing a Louisville team that doesn't have the power name but has that kind of talent and depth.

Reactions: cocoa and Mayoman
GT showed speed on defense and despite the woes at FSU, the GT OL was dominating the LOS.

Beating Austin Peay and beating FSU, however down they may be at the moment, are two very different things. We still don’t know much about the Cards. The interesting thing here is the irs week 2 and FSU is almost out of the conference title race - the playoff is out of the question.

GT showed speed on defense and despite the woes at FSU, the GT OL was dominating the LOS.
I watched pretty much all of GT's game against Georgia State and I saw nothing that would put the fear of the almighty into the Louisville football team. However, I'm sure that wasn't the reaction of the GT coaches after watching the Cards against AP.

GT is improved and the new coaching philosophy so far has been a success, but they're not as good as the media hype they're getting. The FSU win now means little as the Seminoles are clearly a train wreck.

I understand anything can happen in these games and one week a team can look great and then average a week later. What I do know about Louisville vs GT is it's the Cards first test and it's here at home. The Cards will be prepared to play their best and they clearly have the better team than GT.

This is why you schedule these games. I loved the big non-conference games, but they did nothing for us overall after joining the ACC and having to play a much improved Kentucky and ND every few years.

These games really give you the ability to play all your guys and build depth.

2014 we played Murray & FIU and the season was successful
2015 losses to Auburn & Houston just hurt our record & we could've gotten Lamar settled a lot sooner
2016 the Houston game late cost us a trip to the Orange Bowl
2017 Purdue game was close and it didn't do much as a win overall
2018 The Alabama game set the season off on the wrong foot and killed our confidence
2019 EKU and WKU games were big for the team's confidence and we rode the momentum to a bowl
2021 The Ole Miss game really started the season off on the wrong foot again. UCF was a good win, but didn't add much that a blowout over another G5 team would've done. And we almost lost which would've had us missing a bowl game
2022 The UCF win was great, but again in the long run it didn't add much. USF was a great blowout win and JAmes Madison was a solid opponent that we were better than
2023 Indiana was a solid win, but it didn't add much in terms of respect and a weaker G5 opponent would've been the same win, but we could've built up depth more.

Also, these weaker G5 FCS teams give us additional home games which give us additional revenue too.

Reactions: NeffJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT