ADVERTISEMENT

Crawford on Deener's show this morning. Pretty insightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all cant be as cool.
636425354362852153-UofLboard01-Sam.jpg

What a joke. The sign should say “I” because no one else other than Zipp is going to go out and publicly look like a clown and make it look as if he likes a man over the university no matter how much they thought the firing was wrong.

The Jurich thing is weird to me and I don't understand the level of loyalty to someone as inconsequential as an AD. I mean I can name two ADs in the country, sure you want to have a forward thinking, great AD but I mean to just throw unflinching support behind the AD so much so that it clouds your view of every other aspect of the program that you've invested so many years in seems insane to me.

I've never met Tom Jurich and aside from having a Makers bottle with him on it I have no connection to the man. He was obviously a good AD that seems (at least from my point of view) to have sort of taken advantage of his position both in terms of his personal pay, nepotism, and using his position to manipulate the perception of certain things. He supported Pitino, far, far, far too long and it cost him. Rick should have been fired after Sypher and without question should have been fired after Powell and the fact that he wasn't makes me think that they each sort of depended on and had dirt on the other which is also another reason why I think the university wanted a complete cleaning of the house as it would be very difficult to deal with the aftermath of the FBI scandal with someone so connected to Rick in charge.

Reactions: BankerCat12
What a joke. The sign should say “I” because no one else other than Zipp is going to go out and publicly look like a clown and make it look as if he likes a man over the university no matter how much they thought the firing was wrong.

giphy.gif

Some baseball facts must be optional in this thread...
  • If we're assigning blame, Jurich and Patterson were not advocates for charging admission. McDonnell was, and he eventually got his way.

Jurich was McDonnell's boss, the decision to go from free to charging for admission to the games was ultimately TJ's decision.

The joke is you posturing to know anything about Jurich. You don't even know which side of the downtown arena debate he was on.

How would your opinion on Jurich matter when you're clueless about what he represented? At least I'm not THAT a$$clown...

The Jurich thing is weird to me and I don't understand the level of loyalty to someone as inconsequential as an AD. I mean I can name two ADs in the country, sure you want to have a forward thinking, great AD but I mean to just throw unflinching support behind the AD so much so that it clouds your view of every other aspect of the program that you've invested so many years in seems insane to me.

I've never met Tom Jurich and aside from having a Makers bottle with him on it I have no connection to the man. He was obviously a good AD that seems (at least from my point of view) to have sort of taken advantage of his position both in terms of his personal pay, nepotism, and using his position to manipulate the perception of certain things. He supported Pitino, far, far, far too long and it cost him. Rick should have been fired after Sypher and without question should have been fired after Powell and the fact that he wasn't makes me think that they each sort of depended on and had dirt on the other which is also another reason why I think the university wanted a complete cleaning of the house as it would be very difficult to deal with the aftermath of the FBI scandal with someone so connected to Rick in charge.
There are many things you don't understand...

Had we fired Pitino after the Sypher incident, we wouldnt have that 2013 banner...oh, wait

Reactions: EKYCard643
So in a pig's world, is a Board responsible for senior management decisions? (Careful with your answers...)

Weed's signature move....deflection.

Your "Board and Senior Management" analogy to that of the relationship of an "AD and Head Coach" is comparing apples to oranges....but as usual whatever fits your warped narrative.

Find me ADs who accomplished at their schools what Jurich accomplished at U of L. Then, we'll have good points of reference.

And take your time researching that...

Well if you're going to play that game....then find me an AD that has had two Final Fours and a National Championship vacated. Jurich is in his own class on that one. Sorry....the guy was an awesome AD but you can't cherry pick only the good.

Reactions: BankerCat12
Find me ADs who accomplished at their schools what Jurich accomplished at U of L. Then, we'll have good points of reference.

Jeremy Foley is one example and he didn't have any banners stripped away or numerous scandals under one coach.

Greg Byrne Arizona

It’s just amazing that you don’t understand how important successful people like CDM are to our University. The more successful people we have in positions of authority at UofL the more successful we will be from top to bottom. Hopefully you’ll “get it” sooner rather than later. And, yes Tyra’s job does rely on his ability as AD (or business leader) to keep successful leaders around himself. Unless, of course, his ego can’t stand it. This is exactly what Tom Jurich did so well.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I certainly do understand the importance, but to what end?

CDM got a new contract on June 1, 2016:

The school will pay McDonnell $1 million annually in base salary, a raise of $325,000 per year over his existing deal, and added five years onto his current contract, taking it through 2026. The contract also includes several retention bonuses, including a $150,000 payment if McDonnell stays at U of L through next summer. He will receive another $150,000 bonus if he's still at U of L in 2020, and then the bonus drops to $100,000 every two years after that, beginning in 2022 and running through 2026.

He's got great facilities, great support (considering there was zero baseball history at UofL prior to CDM), and tons of money. So, you give the guy a $100k to $200k raise. If he still wants to go to Mississippi State then maybe he just wants to compete in the SEC at a school that draws attendance in the 5 digit range.

When John L. Smith left for Michigan State, no one was saying Jurich wasn't cut out for the job, same when Charlie Strong left for Texas. All of a sudden if a coach wants to leave it's all Tyra's fault.

I don't think CDM is going anywhere. I hope I am right, but if I'm wrong then Tyra will get another solid coach who wants to be at UofL. Just like Jurich did when JLS and CS left.

There's plenty of ADs doing great things at their schools. I know this because there are numerous successful schools and I have no idea who their AD is.

Jurich helped build UL into what it currently is but that doesn't give him free reign to just do as he pleases. ADs are replaceable, its an administrative position. You only know an ADs name for 2 reasons - he's involved in a scandal or he's terrible. I can't name you any other AD in the country besides Barnhart and Tyra.

There's plenty of ADs doing great things at their schools. I know this because there are numerous successful schools and I have no idea who their AD is.

Jurich helped build UL into what it currently is but that doesn't give him free reign to just do as he pleases. ADs are replaceable, its an administrative position. You only know an ADs name for 2 reasons - he's involved in a scandal or he's terrible. I can't name you any other AD in the country besides Barnhart and Tyra.
Well, then you don't really have a great perspective on why Jurich is heralded by U of L fans. Maybe you oughta do a little research before you come up with notions like "free reign to do as he pleases." I don't know WTH you're talking about...

Weed's signature move....deflection.

Your "Board and Senior Management" analogy to that of the relationship of an "AD and Head Coach" is comparing apples to oranges....but as usual whatever fits your warped narrative.
Of course it's apples to oranges. Because Jurich reported into a BOD as did Ramsey. But those facts wouldn't help a clown show apologist, would they?

p033cmp7.jpg

Reactions: gocds
Jeremy Foley is one example and he didn't have any banners stripped away or numerous scandals under one coach.

Greg Byrne Arizona
Where was Florida when Foley took over, and where are they today?

And for the record, you know who Jeremy Foley is too...

Last edited:
...He's got great facilities, great support (considering there was zero baseball history at UofL prior to CDM), and tons of money. So, you give the guy a $100k to $200k raise. If he still wants to go to Mississippi State then maybe he just wants to compete in the SEC at a school that draws attendance in the 5 digit range.

When John L. Smith left for Michigan State, no one was saying Jurich wasn't cut out for the job, same when Charlie Strong left for Texas. All of a sudden if a coach wants to leave it's all Tyra's fault...
Jurich and McDonnell are responsible for everything good that is U of L baseball. That's why they have such value with respect to that sport at U of L.

I must have missed the news... Did fanboy offer McDonnell a raise?

Jurich brought Smith to U of L and was indirectly responsible for the good that Smith created. Jurich had also been here for several years when Smith left. If anyone was gonna keep Smith at U of L, it would have been Jurich.

Tyra just appeared a few months ago to succeed in a decade-long relationship between Jurich and McDonnell. (Not unlike the situation with Walz...) He had nothing to do with McDonnell being here, but he's certainly in the AD's job to keep McDonnell here. And rightfully, this Cat will be judged for his ability to do that...

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

Reactions: gocds
Of course it's apples to oranges. Because Jurich reported into a BOD as did Ramsey. But those facts wouldn't help a clown show apologist, would they?

Continual deflection. Same old broken record with the Weed.

Jurich was McDonnell's boss. If price for admission was McDonnell's wish and Jurich granted it, then Jurich made the call. It's that simple.

I'm maybe OK with holding bosses accountable to a large extent. Just remember, clown show apologists and Pitino haters have to connect ALL of the dots.

And it's "small but loud"...

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

Jurich brought Smith to U of L and was indirectly responsible for the good that Smith created. Jurich had also been here for several years when Smith left. If anyone was gonna keep Smith at U of L, it would have been Jurich.

That's just your speculation.....no facts.

Tyra just appeared a few months ago to succeed in a decade-long relationship between Jurich and McDonnell. (Not unlike the situation with Walz...) He had nothing to do with McDonnell being here, but he's certainly in the AD's job to keep McDonnell here. And rightfully, this Cat will be judged for his ability to do that...

It's the AD's job to retain coaches when it makes sense to do so, financially. The guy is making over $1M per year. I'm fine with a modest raise, but until he can get more than 2,000 fans to show up to a game the ROI ain't there.

I'm maybe OK with holding bosses accountable to a large extent. Just remember, clown show apologists and Pitino haters have to connect ALL of the dots.

And it's "small but loud"...

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

Holy $hit.....an acknowledgement that Jurich was responsible for approving the price for admission at UofL baseball games! Wow! Only took me reiterating that in three posts! Maybe you aren't as hard headed as we all believe.

Holy $hit.....an acknowledgement that Jurich was responsible for approving the price for admission at UofL baseball games! Wow! Only took me reiterating that in three posts! Maybe you aren't as hard headed as we all believe.
Are you connecting other dots? Then, we'll have the discussion...

That's just your speculation.....no facts.

It's the AD's job to retain coaches when it makes sense to do so, financially. The guy is making over $1M per year. I'm fine with a modest raise, but until he can get more than 2,000 fans to show up to a game the ROI ain't there.
All of that is fact or as close as we'll get to facts. You certainly have nothing better, just clown show posturing.

2,000 season tickets and 35+/- student-athletes in his program equates to almost $1.5 million annually in U of L revenue. Fanboy better keep Coach happy...

All of that is fact or as close as we'll get to facts. You certainly have nothing better, just clown show posturing.

2,000 season tickets and 35+/- student-athletes in his program equates to almost $1.5 million annually in U of L revenue. Fanboy better keep Coach happy...

UofL (academics) is getting $487,398 in revenue from scholarships. The season ticket revenue goes to UofL Athletics.

Also, you need to check your math, because it's not $1.5 million.

(37 home games) x (2,000 fans) x ($10 per ticket) = $740,000
(11.7 scholarships for baseball) x ($41,658 out-of-state) = $487,398
Total = $1.2M

....and I'm being generous with the ticket prices, adult season ticket holders get in at $4.50 per game and $4.00 per game for senior citizens season ticket holders, I used $10 per ticket.

Reserved chairback ticket packages are priced at $150 for adults (less than $4.50 per game), $120 for senior adults/youth (less than $4 per game) and $480 for a Family 4-Pack (less than $4 per game per ticket). Season tickets for the Left Field Berm are also available at $100 for adults (less than $3 per game), $80 for senior adults/youth (less than $2.50 per game) and $320 for a Family 4-Pack (less than $2.50 per game per ticket).

Single game tickets for the 2018 season will be priced at $10 for reserved chairback and $5 for berm and will be available for purchase at a later date.

UofL (academics) is getting $487,398 in revenue from scholarships. The season ticket revenue goes to UofL Athletics.

Also, you need to check your math, because it's not $1.5 million.

(37 home games) x (2,000 fans) x ($10 per ticket) = $740,000
(11.7 scholarships for baseball) x ($41,658 out-of-state) = $487,398
Total = $1.2M

....and I'm being generous with the ticket prices, adult season ticket holders get in at $4.50 per game and $4.00 per game for senior citizens season ticket holders, I used $10 per ticket.

Reserved chairback ticket packages are priced at $150 for adults (less than $4.50 per game), $120 for senior adults/youth (less than $4 per game) and $480 for a Family 4-Pack (less than $4 per game per ticket). Season tickets for the Left Field Berm are also available at $100 for adults (less than $3 per game), $80 for senior adults/youth (less than $2.50 per game) and $320 for a Family 4-Pack (less than $2.50 per game per ticket).

Single game tickets for the 2018 season will be priced at $10 for reserved chairback and $5 for berm and will be available for purchase at a later date.
There's nothing wrong with my math... Kevin Miller already did the calculation for the typical student-athlete, i.e., around $30K per.

Where you're wrong is the NON-scholarship contribution. There are 20+ kids paying their way to play baseball at U of L who would not be at U of L without baseball. And that's not counting student trainers and assistants working in the programs, some or many of whom would again not be at U of L. That's north of another half million annually in baseball alone.

Tyra better deliver...

The school will pay McDonnell $1 million annually in base salary, a raise of $325,000 per year over his existing deal, and added five years onto his current contract, taking it through 2026. The contract also includes several retention bonuses, including a $150,000 payment if McDonnell stays at U of L through next summer. He will receive another $150,000 bonus if he's still at U of L in 2020, and then the bonus drops to $100,000 every two years after that, beginning in 2022 and running through 2026.

He's got great facilities, great support (considering there was zero baseball history at UofL prior to CDM), and tons of money. So, you give the guy a $100k to $200k raise. If he still wants to go to Mississippi State then maybe he just wants to compete in the SEC at a school that draws attendance in the 5 digit range.

When John L. Smith left for Michigan State, no one was saying Jurich wasn't cut out for the job, same when Charlie Strong left for Texas. All of a sudden if a coach wants to leave it's all Tyra's fault.

I don't think CDM is going anywhere. I hope I am right, but if I'm wrong then Tyra will get another solid coach who wants to be at UofL. Just like Jurich did when JLS and CS left.

You actually don't know what Tyra will do. He still doesn't have the record yet to show that we should believe in him.

Reactions: zipp

You actually don't know what Tyra will do. He still doesn't have the record yet to show that we should believe in him.

He fired a horrible field hockey coach and replaced her with one of the top coaches in country.

He hired arguably the best available basketball coaches.

He negotiated multiple night home games for this upcoming football season!

He has been every where on campus and at sporting events.

The guy has been an A+.

He fired a horrible field hockey coach and replaced her with one of the top coaches in country.

The guy has been an A+.
LOL!

"Let me jump over this bar laying on the ground..."

I know it just happened, but make sure to add fanboy's public statement yesterday in favor of the NCAA over Jeff Walz (who still doesn't have a new contract).

Sus_scrofa_domesticus%2C_miniature_pig%2C_juvenile.jpg

The guy has been an A+.

I do support his hire of Mack but the field hockey coach is a hire in a sport that doesn't really move the needle and our old coach was as successful or moreso on the field.

Tyra had nothing to do with negotiating our schedule this year. Since when did the AD have anything to do with determining games times anyhow?

Going to sporting events is a nice gesture but its meaningless in the long run if he is terrible.

well Zipp certainly has enough pictures of himself/herself on this board.

i'll skewer Tyra when he deserves it. Jurich destroyed BBall with the help of his buddy Rick. ****ed Lee and Lewis out of an NCAA run and I sure hope the documents coming out of that one finally calms the 'University of Tom' assholes down.

sounds to me like it was shadier than we all thought....

Reactions: chevelle99
...Jurich destroyed BBall...
Please keep beating that drum. Please. Jurich grew it to the most profitable in the country, and the adidas contract wouldn't be in place without basketball.

But don't stop there... Let's give props to our former interim Prez. Pizza Guy too.

Lovin' it...

I still think of Tyra as a good ole boy and that is the only reason he got the job. I think I am right and time will tell, it is hard for me to believe that so many of you think of Jurich as the bad guy. I think all of this was nothing but a take over for reasons unrelated to the University of Louisville.

Not even sure how much of a good ole boy he is. He just wanted the job more than anything else. And this was the only way he could get it...

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Not even sure how much of a good ole boy he is. He just wanted the job more than anything else. And this was the only way he could get it...

More unsubstantiated b.s. that has a negative slant towards Tyra. You are so predictable.

It’s funny how you don’t hold yourself to your own standards of providing facts.

I still think of Tyra as a good ole boy and that is the only reason he got the job. I think I am right and time will tell, it is hard for me to believe that so many of you think of Jurich as the bad guy. I think all of this was nothing but a take over for reasons unrelated to the University of Louisville.

Nobody hates Jurich. You are just falling into Zipp’s trap of trying to separate this message board into two camps. His whole approach is to label anyone who supports Tyra as being anti-Jurich. It’s sad that the Mods on this board continue to allow him to sow seeds of discontent.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT