ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Coach Strong and Texas

Since Notre Dame competes with us (and other ACC teams) for bowl slots, we NEED Notre Dame to lose as often as possible. Especially since we don't play them. So ... I was rooting for Texas because of this, first and foremost. I'll be hoping Michigan State, Stanford, Miami, and USC take them down too (and will of course root for Army and Navy over the Irish too, but those won't happen).

Having said that, I have no ill will toward Charlie. He definitely rebuilt us in record time, which made it possible for us to get into the ACC, and for that I will be eternally grateful. And I am thrilled to have Bobby back, and think the future is brighter than out past, which got pretty bright under Coach Strong.

As I appreciate Strong and Bedford for what they did here. So Strong and Bedford are the only reason I cheered on Texas. I have zero love for the university. But knocking out ND from a bowl is a real good reason too.

Reactions: Louisvillian
He dang near lost it though, like he lost so many for us- get a big lead early and then try to win it with defense. How many teams beat us by coming back on us like that? UCF was one. There were many more.

I will always be a Charlie Strong fan. Texas not so much. But they were playing Satan's tool on earth - Notre Dame. I would have a hard time pulling for Notre Dame against UK. I would do it but I would have a hard time.

Since Notre Dame competes with us (and other ACC teams) for bowl slots, we NEED Notre Dame to lose as often as possible. Especially since we don't play them. So ... I was rooting for Texas because of this, first and foremost. I'll be hoping Michigan State, Stanford, Miami, and USC take them down too (and will of course root for Army and Navy over the Irish too, but those won't happen).

Having said that, I have no ill will toward Charlie. He definitely rebuilt us in record time, which made it possible for us to get into the ACC, and for that I will be eternally grateful. And I am thrilled to have Bobby back, and think the future is brighter than out past, which got pretty bright under Coach Strong.

My only issue I had with Coach Strong was he should have informed the players before he left...but make no mistake if not for him getting Louisville Football out of the ditch we would still be in the AAC

Reactions: genghis_card
I'm with you Steelers. I appreciate what CCS did for the UofL football program so I was pulling for his team to win last night.

If he ends up having success at Texas, he'll be the first former UofL coach who left who succeeded. Everyone else failed that I can recall.
Maybe that's why I'm a SOB. I don't want coaches to succeed if they don't want to be here at U of L.
L1C4!

Maybe that's why I'm a SOB. I don't want coaches to succeed if they don't want to be here at U of L.
L1C4!
I get that. That's a true fanatic and more times than not, I would be standing right beside you. Considering this former coach and the job he did for us which is the reason we're in the ACC today, I'll cut him some slack. I can never be a fan of any other team because I am L1C4 to the bone, but I respect coach Strong as a coach and person. I wish him nothing but the best.

Like most posters I appreciate the job Charlie did turning our program around, but I do not cheer for him or Texas. The only I did reason last night was to have Notre Dame lose. No longer a Charlie fan

Cue,

I can definitely respect that. I don't think I have as much animosity towards Charlie that i did with John L and Bobby. I guess with Bobby coming back, I guess there's always room for forgiveness.
John L is the guy that I'm not too fond of. The parting shot at Cardinal fans on his way out sucked. Who can forget that embarrassing debacle in our Bowl game when word leaked on the sidelines that he was heading to Michigan St?

I remember in 2002 when Dave Ragone was taking a beating so bad behind a young O-line against UK that I was scared for his health. John L made no adjustments, no max protect, nothing. He just kept Dave back there with 5 wideouts to continue getting pummeled for 4 quarters. Loved when they ran his ass and his folksy schtick out East Lansing.

One of the best feelings I ever had was in the 2003 opener when we hired a real football coach in Petrino and thumped UK in Lexington. You just knew great times were ahead.

John L is the guy that I'm not too fond of. The parting shot at Cardinal fans on his way out sucked. Who can forget that embarrassing debacle in our Bowl game when word leaked on the sidelines that he was heading to Michigan St?

I remember in 2002 when Dave Ragone was taking a beating so bad behind a young O-line against UK that I was scared for his health. John L made no adjustments, no max protect, nothing. He just kept Dave back there with 5 wideouts to continue getting pummeled for 4 quarters. Loved when they ran his ass and his folksy schtick out East Lansing.

One of the best feelings I ever had was in the 2003 opener when we hired a real football coach in Petrino and thumped UK in Lexington. You just knew great times were ahead.

^^^^
This!!!

Much more issue with John L plus the fact the players found out he was leaving during the Bowl Game...the Food Chain comment was Bush League..but I have forgiven him as well...life way too short to hold grudges against anyone...

Agree with the remarks about how John L left. BUT you can't hold that grudge IMO when the guy has repented.

Now, it's good enough for him just to be CLOSE to Louisville. Those are actions, and they speak volumes...

Agree with the remarks about how John L left. BUT you can't hold that grudge IMO when the guy has repented.

Now, it's good enough for him just to be CLOSE to Louisville. Those are actions, and they speak volumes...
Well said. I just had to get that out I guess. JLS did some really good things here too, especially related to attitude.

...JLS did some really good things here too, especially related to attitude.
You also notice that Jurich nowadays never fails to credit JLS for his contributions. And at the time, it was Jurich getting kicked squarely in the teeth. Should tell us a lot about how we should regard him...

You also notice that Jurich nowadays never fails to credit JLS for his contributions. And at the time, it was Jurich getting kicked squarely in the teeth. Should tell us a lot about how we should regard him...
That's never lost on me. A bitter end will never make me forget Super-Soph Chris Redman running the option during a beat down at Cincinnati in the freezing rain under the nightmare of Ron Cooper's final year.

Jurich ushered in the great times we have all enjoyed. The hiring of Denny was the only comparison, at least in my Lifetime.

Once he left, thanks were given for his efforts, and I then moved on. I don't wish him success or failure. He's just a footnote in UofL history. I didn't particularly think neither Texas or Notre Dame looked very good, fwiw.

Coaches leave for perceived greener pastures all of the time. When John L and Bobby left, it was for the opportunity to chase a dream. We were stuck in C-USA with no hope insight when John L left. Bobby had an opportunity to coach in the NFL and a chance he thought to coach Michael Vick. Things were promised to him in Atlanta that did not materialize so he left. All coaches at this level have a sense of arrogance about them. I for one am happy to have Bobby Back and John L down the highway at K-State.

Once he left, thanks were given for his efforts, and I then moved on. I don't wish him success or failure. He's just a footnote in UofL history. I didn't particularly think neither Texas or Notre Dame looked very good, fwiw.
^This. 1000% for me. I wish him health, and that's about it. Specifically my dislike for Texas and most of the other "blue blood" programs for their "we can just buy success" attitudes trumps any positive or negative feelings I have about a single coach. Growing up I was an ND fan for various reasons including a strong influence from one of my coaches. Things changed at ND after Holtz and not for the better. Very glad to support a program that has a history of giving guys a chance (or two) instead of hiring the latest and greatest coach for hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT