ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment

The ACC Leadership is weak and reluctant to standup for its schools. Some of the fear must originate with seeing ESPN and other media power expressing total support of the SEC.

FSU, Clemson, Miiami and UNC have each expressed interest in leaving the ACC, but I understand that option is evaporating, as now most recognize as a scenario where each would only become even less relevant at that level of competition.

The ACC Leadership is weak and reluctant to standup for its schools. Some of the fear must originate with seeing ESPN and other media power expressing total support of the SEC.

FSU, Clemson, Miiami and UNC have each expressed interest in leaving the ACC, but I understand that option is evaporating, as now most recognize as a scenario where each would only become even less relevant at that level of competition.
I hope after what happened FSU would say go screw yourself.
I wish the non SEC and Big 10 schools would just refuse to play them, but they have so many teams now they probably would be happy about that.

Reactions: rh62531
The ACC should explore a partnership of some kind with the Big XII. One in which the revenue streams from ESPN and FOX are not jeopardized.
I like this idea a lot. After this season the SEC is going to cannibalize itself anyway. If people think that the spoiled child (Alabama) is going to be able to coexist with (Texas) another spoiled child they kidding themselves.Texas is not AtM and they won’t let them little brother them either. Rules and the committee have to be put on notice from this moment on. Once they expand to 12 teams, I don’t want to hear any complaining from a two or three loss SEC team not making the CFP.They chose to go play under the banner of the SEC, now they have to live with it.

The ACC members need to figure out the league they are in is the best path with the playoff. The ACC, Big 12x and all the non Power 5 need to fight for equal representation in the playoff for at least their top 2 teams. They have to fight to eliminate opinions-eye tests-media from picking the 12 teams.

The ACC members need to figure out the league they are in is the best path with the playoff. The ACC, Big 12x and all the non Power 5 need to fight for equal representation in the playoff for at least their top 2 teams. They have to fight to eliminate opinions-eye tests-media from picking the 12 teams.
Facts the ACC, BiG 12 and the teams from the Mountain West, AAC, and the Sunbelt all need to hold joint meetings over the summer. Those meetings need to be broadcast on FOX and ESPN. They need to set clear expectations for the new 12 team playoffs and for the committee. And while they are at it call out all of the biases against everyone that is not attached to the SEC. If they don’t they will try to put the top four or five teams from the SEC in the CFP and then try and justify it of of “strength of schedule” or conference affiliation.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Facts the ACC, BiG 12 and the teams from the Mountain West, AAC, and the Sunbelt all need to hold joint meetings over the summer. Those meetings need to be broadcast on FOX and ESPN. They need to set clear expectations for the new 12 team playoffs and for the committee. And while they are at it call out all of the biases against everyone that is not attached to the SEC. If they don’t they will try to put the top four or five teams from the SEC in the CFP and then try and justify it of of “strength of schedule” or conference affiliation.

Disagree. You are who you associate with. Never should the Big 12 and ACC be in some consortium with the MW, AAC and Sun Belt. What the Big 12 and ACC need to figure out is how to maximize their revenues and how to keep the marquee brands that they still have. Eventually there are political ramifications that the SEC and Big 10 will run into but those ramifications are muted if they have managed to pry away all the top football schools from ACC and Big 12.

Disagree. You are who you associate with. Never should the Big 12 and ACC be in some consortium with the MW, AAC and Sun Belt. What the Big 12 and ACC need to figure out is how to maximize their revenues and how to keep the marquee brands that they still have. Eventually there are political ramifications that the SEC and Big 10 will run into but those ramifications are muted if they have managed to pry away all the top football schools from ACC and Big 12.
Maybe so, but what do you suggest they do right now about what the committee just did to FSU? My point was the friend of my enemy is my friend. Until someone calls it out the SEC and the biases it is afforded is not going to go away.Every conference can sit back and play the I only care about myself game and the next time their undefeated conference champion gets screwed over they will be sitting there clutching their nuts just like FSU.So then what happens if say Alabama wins the CFP and FSU is still sitting there undefeated. Are they going to hang a “fake” banner the same way UCF did after the 2017 season?

Reactions: CardsFirst
Maybe so, but what do you suggest they do right now about what the committee just did to FSU? My point was the friend of my enemy is my friend. Until someone calls it out the SEC and the biases it is afforded is not going to go away.Every conference can sit back and play the I only care about myself game and the next time their undefeated conference champion gets screwed over they will be sitting there clutching their nuts just like FSU.So then what happens if say Alabama wins the CFP and FSU is still sitting there undefeated. Are they going to hang a “fake” banner the same way UCF did after the 2017 season?

Step 1 is solidify your own house. As long as Clemson, FSU, et all make it clear they want out then the conference is bargaining from a neutared position. Along with this the schools need to continue to resource their programs so that they can continue to compete. They need to continue to schedule good non-conference games that will draw eyeballs (this is where they can work with Big 12). They also could work behind the scenes with political leadership. I’m concerned that Oregon State and Washington State were dropped from a power 5 and there was little outcry. That sets a really bad precedent that two large, state schools can be cast aside. The ACC leadership was derelict in its duties when it came to this last round of realignment.

Step 1 is solidify your own house. As long as Clemson, FSU, et all make it clear they want out then the conference is bargaining from a neutared position. Along with this the schools need to continue to resource their programs so that they can continue to compete. They need to continue to schedule good non-conference games that will draw eyeballs (this is where they can work with Big 12). They also could work behind the scenes with political leadership. I’m concerned that Oregon State and Washington State were dropped from a power 5 and there was little outcry. That sets a really bad precedent that two large, state schools can be cast aside. The ACC leadership was derelict in its duties when it came to this last round of realignment.
Very good points. Phillips has been a pretty useless Comish for the ACC not sure we move forward with him at the helm. We need a pro 200% ACC guy. That needs to be the first start.
And Boo needs to resign from the CFP committee and speak out against it’s ridiculous bias.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I totally agree the ACC should have went after them but once again you that Ol Boy network ( namely the Tobacco Road schools) who didn’t even want us to go after Stanford, Cal, and SMU.

I agree ACC just needs to invest in football. FSU, Miami, Norte Dame and Clemson being great is all that needs to happen. They need to carry the league. Like Georgia, Alabama, and LSU have done in SEC. Like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State has done in Big Ten.

Once that starts happening then Louisville, UNC, NC State and Virginia Tech job is to elevate their programs. It all starts the quality of rosters and coaching. Once rosters improve then preseason hype occurs leading to better rankings. Then win the out of conference games.

It has to get to the point where the ACC top tier can stand toe to toe with Big Ten and SEC. Once that starts happening then the money will follow.

Bowl season is no longer a measuring stick. It is now the playoff.

I agree ACC just needs to invest in football. FSU, Miami, Norte Dame and Clemson being great is all that needs to happen. They need to carry the league. Like Georgia, Alabama, and LSU have done in SEC. Like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State has done in Big Ten.

Once that starts happening then Louisville, UNC, NC State and Virginia Tech job is to elevate their programs. It all starts the quality of rosters and coaching. Once rosters improve then preseason hype occurs leading to better rankings. Then win the out of conference games.

It has to get to the point where the ACC top tier can stand toe to toe with Big Ten and SEC. Once that starts happening then the money will follow.

Bowl season is no longer a measuring stick. It is now the playoff.
The ACC commissioner needs to grow a pair and make it clear that this league’s Undefeated Conference Champion will not be disrespected by the national media or the selection committee.He needs to go get Washington and Oregon State and if the tobacco Road boys don’t like f’ em and override them. I get the money but you have to ask yourself why does everyone want to go to the SEC? I believe it is for the privileges that being a member provides.Excuse the phrase but I would rather reign in Hell then to serve in Heaven.

I agree with adding Oregon State and Washington State then you have western division and an eastern division to the conference. it would make scheduling a whole lot easier and less travel. They can do the conference championship game the way it is now by the 2 highest ranked teams.

I agree with adding Oregon State and Washington State then you have western division and an eastern division to the conference. it would make scheduling a whole lot easier and less travel. They can do the conference championship game the way it is now by the 2 highest ranked teams.
It depends on what the current members decide to do but I would bring on San Diego State, UNLV and Boise State as well. Make it a real west coast division.

“Fake” banner? They’re all fake. Since the CFP is opinion-based, the winner is still a mythical national champion. If Alabama or Texas wins their rinky-dink tournament AND if FSU beats Georgia, FSU could absolutely hang a banner. In fact, so could Georgia if they won the OB. Why not? It’s all just opinions.

The ACC should explore a partnership of some kind with the Big XII. One in which the revenue streams from ESPN and FOX are not jeopardized.
My line of thinking is that the ACC and B12 end their expansion and explore more OOC games between the two conferences and possibly what remains of the PAC 12 and MWC. Include the AAC if need be. It would raise both conference's SOS and the public perception of teams in both conferences.

Face it, the $EC and B1G OOC schedules are comprised of paydays for the likes of the MAC, Sunbelt and CUSA, resulting in uninteresting matchups that draw few eyeballs. Improve the level of competition and we manage to keep our level of respect.

We have gone from the P5 to the P4 in short order. Or P3.5, depending on your conference affiliation. If the $EC and B1G get their way, it will be the two of them ruling the roost with everyone else denigrated as Brand X. JMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT