ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff Discussion

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Starting to take shape, still a lot of games left of consequence.

Thoughts?

What 4 do you see making it?

Does Tua's injury doom Alabama?

Can Utah and/or Oregon crash the party?

Will they put 4 SEC teams in it and just take no questions?

Thoughts?

If they put 4 SEC teams in the CFP, I won't watch a single game and I may stop watching college football because I will know the fix is in.

Honestly I think the best game would be Clemson LSU

Reactions: gocds
Hard not to think that Clemson, LSU, and OSU aren't damn near locks at this point. Even if LSU loses to UGA in the championship game, they are in and in my opinion thats your 4. If LSU wins, I think it comes down to Bama (if they beat Auburn), Winner of Pac12 Championship as long as Oregon and Utah dont blow it before then, and maybe OU. I am going with Clemson, OSU, LSU, and Oregon.

From ESPN: Committee chair Rob Mullens told ESPN that Tagovailoa's injury did not impact Alabama's ranking, as the Crimson Tide still cruised to a 38-7 victory over Mississippi State on Saturday.

I think this type of favoritism is what gets the college football world, outside of the sec, so worked up. Even though Tua left in the first half he still went off in that game. They were up 35-7 before he was injured. They only “cruised” to a victory because of Tua’s first half play. The second half score was 3-0. Bottom line, Bama is not the same team without Tua. Sure they are still good, but not the 5th best team. Any other team, outside the sec at least, does not retain that ranking after losing a guy like that.

Reactions: Mayoman
I think Alabama is done, LSU beats Georgia and is in as SEC lone representative, OSU is looking good and the competition in the B1G is not as strong as first glance, Clemson is good to go, that brings us to Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma...Oregon has the better resume, but if Utah wins the PAC and Baylor wins the B12 then Utah may have a shot...I don't think a 2 loss SEC team jumps a 1 loss champion and Baylor has a weak resume. so I'm going to go with Utah vs LSU, Clemson vs OSU.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
1. Clemson undefeated ACC champion
2. Georgia 1 loss SEC champion
3. Utah 1 loss PAC12 champion
4. Oklahoma 1loss Big12 champion, by a whisker over:

5. Ohio State 1 loss B10 champion (upset at Michigan)
6. LSU loses to Georgia in SECCG.

Bama loss in Iron Bowl makes them irrelevant to CFP discussion.

Last edited:

In your scenario i bet LSU drops to 4th

My top 4 right now:
1. Clemson
2. OSU
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma

I think this scenario will play out though: Clemson wins out gets in, OSU wins out gets in, LSU loses seccg to UGA in a close game because LSU’s defense is suspect, and both LSU and UGA gets in. I think we’ll see 1. OSU, 2. Clemson, 3. UGA, 4. LSU. Hopefully Oklahoma and Oregon win out and a serious conversation of an 8 team playoff will ensue.

Could definitely happen. And that would definitely spur the process along toward an expanded playoff.

Most fans dont want sn expanded playoffs. That would give Bama a lifetime spot.

If the P5 could break away, the lower number of available teams should keep it a 4 , where no conference would get more than 1 team in.

My top 4 right now:
1. Clemson
2. OSU
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma

I think this scenario will play out though: Clemson wins out gets in, OSU wins out gets in, LSU loses seccg to UGA in a close game because LSU’s defense is suspect, and both LSU and UGA gets in. I think we’ll see 1. OSU, 2. Clemson, 3. UGA, 4. LSU. Hopefully Oklahoma and Oregon win out and a serious conversation of an 8 team playoff will ensue.

This is my predicted 2020 playoff.
We just differ in the order.

I have ;

1 OSU
2 LSU
3 Clemson
4 OU

Reactions: kentuckyshame
This is my predicted 2020 playoff.
We just differ in the order.

I have ;

1 OSU
2 LSU
3 Clemson
4 OU

just to clarify, mine was actually where I would rank them today. I omit UGA from the top 4 for 2 reasons, Oklahoma loss is not as bad as Georgia’s, and I personally think OU would beat Georgia.

Most fans dont want sn expanded playoffs. That would give Bama a lifetime spot.

If the P5 could break away, the lower number of available teams should keep it a 4 , where no conference would get more than 1 team in.

Respectfully, I disagree “that most fans don’t want an expanded playoff”. Eight teams would be perfect. If, as you say, Bama get’s a “lifetime” spot then the playoff TV audience would suffer tremendously and that is what would bring an end to the ESPN favoritism toward the $ec.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Thoughts?

It doesn’t matter. The participants are chosen with opinions, and ours are as good as those on the “committee”, but only theirs count. Mythical National Championship.

Respectfully, I disagree “that most fans don’t want an expanded playoff”. Eight teams would be perfect. If, as you say, Bama get’s a “lifetime” spot then the playoff TV audience would suffer tremendously and that is what would bring an end to the ESPN favoritism toward the $ec.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Actually it would heighten it.

The first polls would have 4 to 5 SEC teams in them. As you see with Bama losing at home, they dropped 1 spot.
Doesnt matter to who it was, yhey should have dropped at least five spots.

Dont say include the G5 as a guaranteed playoff spot.
The committee is punishing certain teams for their "weak" schedule.
SEC nation has been bashing Clemsons schedule all year.

1A football is the only sport whete you SELECT playoff teams.

Here's my take:

1A. LSU best resume based on SOS, but allowing 600 yards to mediocre Ole Miss???? Didn't like the way they finished versus Bama.
1B. OSU two biggest tests coming up, but I fear neither Penn State or my beloved Wolverines are capable of beating them.
3. Clemson strong team, little standing in their way from going undefeated.
4. Here is where it gets dicey........
Bama? Injuries are piling up. I don't think they beat Auburn. Needs LSU to win out.
Georgia? Very capable of beating LSU. If they beat LSU, they're in,
if not, they're out. Their loss to South Carolina is the worst loss among one loss teams. IMO they have to beat LSU.
Utah/Oregon winner? Going to be very tough to keep one loss
champion out of the mix. I prefer Utah in this matchup.
Oklahoma? Same as above. An illegal touching penalty away from
driving for the tying score in loss to K-State on road.

Five teams (6 if you count Penn State) for #4 and not a heck of a lot to separate them at this point. Were you to put a gun to my head and force me to pick, I would say Oklahoma, then Ore/Utah winner.

In your scenario, LSU drops to 4th and Ohio St drops to 3rd only because they don’t want a repeat of LSU vs Georgia.

I'm hoping there is pandemonium from here until the final regular season games.

Yea me too! There I said it....I am in a "Me too" position in my CFB life.

Here are some thoughts on how to muck up this whole perfect ESPN world that the media wants us to buy into In a random order:

Minn wins out and upsets the OSU who comes off a loss to either PSU or UM. So sad for the Bucs and UM beats PSU in the B10 ship game.

UGA gets upset by GTech and then beats LSU who is coming off an upset by Tx A&M. Wow!

Auburn beats Bama in a mild upset, but as someone said Tua is gone and he was the heart of the Crimson Tide.

LSU loses to A&M and beats UGA knocking them out

USC upsets Clemson and they CU loses in the ACC ship game to the other division winner giving them 2 losses and out they go.

Oregon/Utah either both get upset or play the PAC ship game to a 10 OT draw and the league forfeits the right to have a rep cause they have no champ. Crazy Stuff right there or Utah destroys Oregon by 30 + and reps as a 1 loss champ and the rest of the upset stuff moves up there final ranking to #4.

And not to be left out, OU falters in one of last 2 games and takes its 2nd loss on the chin, Baylor wins out and becomes the 1 loss B12 champ. Who'd of thunk it? Not me.

So there you have some possible chaos Party Good. That would make for some interesting FF4 choices don't ya think.?

I would love to see some new blood in the FF:

Give Me: Minn vs CU
UGA vs OSU

And I would be a happy man. Of course none of this will happen and the status quo will be wat we get...again. Please just not Bama or 2 SEZ's teams. If 2 SEZ teams make it...I will not watch it. Thoughts fellow Card fans? It will probably be this:

OSU vs UGA
LSU vs Bama or Clemson

That would be ugly and I dispise the SEC..it is what it is though. Thnx ESPN.:mad:o_O:confused::mad::(;):p

I hate the thought of 2 teams from the same conference getting in. The only exception I would make is if they didnt play each other during the season or CCG. So I would like to see :

SEC Champ
Clemson
Ohio St
Oregon

I tend to fall into the traditionalist mode of choosing P5 conference champions over anyone else as long as that champion has only 1 loss on the season. That’s why, in the scenario I chose, you get Clemson, Georgia, Utah and Oklahoma. The Buckeyes might also edge out Oklahoma if they do not fall behind Oklahoma after the loss I am predicting they get at Michigan.

If Georgia beats LSU, they will be in signed sealed delivered.

I’m ranking by who is in the best position based on resume and schedule. Not who is the top 4 now, because so much will change in 2 weeks.

This isn’t my top 10 teams, it’s top 10 in likelihood of the playoff.

1. Clemson. They finish with a South Carolina team and whatever garbage team the Coastal sends to the title game. They’re in and it’s a lock.

2. LSU is in a good position at the moment. Only have Arkansas and A&M left at home. Then play a tough UGA. Their Texas in Austin looks less impressive as time goes on. But if their only loss would be to a UGA team that’s in the top 4, they’ll probably be in with 1 loss.

3. Ohio State probably is in a stronger position to get in with 1 loss, but they do have a brutal way to close out the season. They’ll play Penn State, then at Michigan, then a a possible Big 10 title game against Minnesota or Wisconsin. They win the next 3, they should pass LSU and be #1. And they’re better than the ones below them because they can afford a loss and still be in good shape.

Those 3 are probably the 3 only sure fire things, then the next 3 get tough. These 3 kind of control their own destiny.

4. Oregon. I think they’re in a better position than Georgia because all they will have to beat Utah. Beating Utah won’t be easy, but you’d rather face Utah than LSU, which LSU will be favored against UGA and Oregon will be favored against Utah.

5. Georgia is in a tougher spot solely because they have to face LSU where they won’t be favored. But if the win, they’re in the playoff with their strength of schedule and quality of wins.

6. Oklahoma isn’t the most impressive team, but they’re still in the hunt. The beat Baylor again and they’re in good shape to sneak in as a 1 loss conference champion.

I think those 3 are more than likely the 3 fighting for the last spot.

These next 4 need some serious help, but it’s not crazy to like where they stand.

7. Alabama’s current ranking at 5 gives them good breathing room. They play a beatable ranked Auburn, and Auburn who beat Oregon. They have the best loss of the 1 loss teams, but their overall schedule isn’t overly impressive. Tua’s injury moves their argument for the eye test to the back burner and will hurt their case.

8. Utah. They just have to beat Oregon in the PAC 12 title game. Won’t be easy, but won’t be as difficult as some teams. Being in the PAC 12 will make teams hesitate to look at them, and be real if it comes down to a 1 loss Bama, Oklahoma, or Georgia versus Utah for the last spot, the committee ain’t picking he Utes.

9. Penn State. If Penn State wins out, they’ll jump everyone on the list and get in the playoff. Problem is the difficulty of who they will have to play and the fact they already have 1 loss. They’ll have to beat Ohio State and then turn around in 2 weeks and have to beat Wisconsin/Minnesota. But with wins over Iowa and Michigan already, they have a great resume.

10. Minnesota. If they win out, they’re going to have a strong case as well. They do have an issue with strength of schedule at the moment and 1 loss puts their backs against the wall. They’ll have to beat Wisconsin one week and then have to beat Ohio State or Penn State the next week. They have a chance, but it’ll be tough. And they have a lot of teams in front of them too.

Ima pulling for all the underdogs. Could this be the year of Mass Confusion and Disruption of the Status Quo? A man can dream can't he?

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT