ADVERTISEMENT

Colburn Situation

NBC Sports Writer calling out Petrino...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/bobby-petrino-still-not-a-man-of-his-word/

There was the time Petrino gave his mistress a job in the Arkansas athletic department, then engaged in a cover-up after questions were raised when he crashed his motorcycle with her on the back. There was the time Petrino took a job as an assistant at Auburn without even bothering to tell his boss (Tom Coughlin) that he was leaving his previous job. There was the time he went behind the backs of his bosses at Louisville in an attempt to get Auburn to fire his former boss (Tommy Tuberville) and get himself hired in Tuberville's place. There was the time Petrino quit Louisville six months after signing a 10-year contract extension and promising he wasn't going anywhere.
And now we have the recruitment of Matt Colburn.
Colburn is a running back at Dutch Fork High School in South Carolina. Eight months ago, Colburn committed to play for Petrino at Louisville. (Petrino is in his second stint as Louisville's head coach; you can be forgiven if you're having trouble keeping up with all the twists and turns in Petrino's career path.) Colburn is considered a three-star prospect: A very good football player, although not the kind of elite talent who has scholarship offers from all the top football schools across the country. At the time that Colburn committed, Louisville seemed like a good fit for him.
But it turned out that Louisville had more good players commit to this year's class than they were expecting. So many good players that they couldn't fit them all under the scholarship limit. So instead of telling some of the new kids who have come along, "Sorry, but we don't have any more scholarships to give," this week Petrino decided that Colburn - who shut down his own recruiting eight months ago when he committed to Louisville - wouldn't have a scholarship to enroll at Louisville in the fall after all.
That's a lousy way to treat a kid who made a commitment to your football program, and it leaves Colburn in limbo. The other schools that had been recruiting Colburn moved on when he announced his commitment to Louisville eight months ago, and they've now reached their own scholarship limits and no longer have a scholarship to offer him - and unlike Petrino, those other coaches won't kick another kid to the curb to make room. So Colburn is now scrambling to find another college to attend.
Oh, and did I mention that Petrino didn't even have the guts to tell Colburn himself? Petrino had an assistant coach make the call to inform Colburn that he won't be getting a scholarship to Louisville this year.

This post was edited on 2/5 11:41 AM by NathanRuffhein

Notice that this hack doesn't have the nuts to mention that the 3* Colburn was offered a Grayshirt scholly and coulda joined the team 4 months later but decided to go elsewhere instead of supporting the coach's decision as to what is best for the team.

Maybe the NBC jack-leg should write an expose of his company's #1 anchor, Brian Williams. Try and tell the whole story, not just what BW wants you to hear.

Re: No You Won't. You Will Back The University Like Fans Always Do

Talk about intergrity...O'Leary once lied to Notre Dame about his resume, remember?

Hey mods, anyone want to ban or warn this georgia fool about
Disparaging coach Petrino.

He did that crap at an $EC school, which is notorious for
paying players.

Speaking of $EC schools, ever wonder how UofL got
South Carolina commit , Lorenzo Mauldin ? Who was told
THE DAY BEFORE SIGNING DAY, his scholly was being pulled !!

Sanctimonious $EC fans lead the nation in probation
and hypocrisy.......

Originally posted by KerryRhodes:
Hey mods, anyone want to ban or warn this georgia fool about
Disparaging coach Petrino.

He did that crap at an $EC school, which is notorious for
paying players.

Speaking of $EC schools, ever wonder how UofL got
South Carolina commit , Lorenzo Mauldin ? Who was told
THE DAY BEFORE SIGNING DAY, his scholly was being pulled !!

Sanctimonious $EC fans lead the nation in probation
and hypocrisy.......
Sorry, I didn't say anything about petrino; the writer of the article did. And the writer seems to share a similar opinion as the Louisville fan who started this thread.

As to SC, Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban are two of the worst POS when it come to oversigning, gray shirting and pulling offers, so at least we can agree to that. Hell, I am ashamed of most of the SEC West schools for the crap they are pulling and I wish they'd knock it off. UT is starting to pull that crap with their ridiculous "Blue Shirting" crap.

I don't have any conference allegiance when it comes to calling a stinking pile of sh!t, a stinking pile a sh!t. If Richt started pulling this crap, I'd call him out.

This post was edited on 2/5 1:36 PM by NathanRuffhein

Originally posted by NathanRuffhein:
...If Richt started pulling this crap, I'd call him out.
No question. Richt is a class act.

And with the talent to win the Sugar Bowl, he has another Belk Bowl trophy to prove it...

Sorry, I didn't say anything about petrino; the writer of the article did. And the writer seems to share a similar opinion as the Louisville fan who started this thread.

As to SC, Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban are two of the worst POS when it come to oversigning, gray shirting and pulling offers, so at least we can agree to that. Hell, I am ashamed of most of the SEC West schools for the crap they are pulling and I wish they'd knock it off. UT is starting to pull that crap with their ridiculous "Blue Shirting" crap.

I don't have any conference allegiance when it comes to calling a stinking pile of sh!t, a stinking pile a sh!t. If Richt started pulling this crap, I'd call him out.

Here's my problem with all of this ... "regular" shirt, "red" shirt, "blue" shirt or "grey" shirt, the kid is still getting to play football and earn a bachelor's degree (plus) FOR FREE.

My son and I will be paying $65,000 (not including student loan interest) for his bachelor's degree. So please tell me again why grey-shirting is a bad deal?

Well, unfortunately this situation has created some bad press for Petrino and the program today. In the long run that's probably not a big deal, but the fact of the matter is that anything Petrino does will be viewed through a negative prism by much of the media.

Re: Will You Please Realize That The Problem Is THE TIMING?

Originally posted by marshall_dillon:
Asking him to greyshirt? Not a problem.
Pulling his offer? Not a problem.

The problem? Doing it two days before signing day when everyone else is full.

His other list of offers? Due to the kid shutting down his recruiting and not taking over visits or sending out tape during his senior year. Had he continued to take visits, who knows who else might have offered.

And the excuse that they gave was bogus. "We need more spots for DBs." They knew this back in early January when the kid came up for an official visit. They should have asked him to greyshirt then.

The lesson that kids should learn: do not commit early to Louisville. Period.
Total bs stance.

See the link.

This post was edited on 2/5 5:21 PM by tkdcoach

South Carolina does it - Charlie Strong does it - so does everyone else

1-he was offered, he accepted and shut down the recruiting process-interesting argument that "he was never offered"-wow is all I can say to that-i could cite link after link but what's the point?
2-whether a SEC team offered a scholarship or not is irrelevant.

Justify all you want...."it happens all the time", "what about the time (you fill in the school)", etc.
the "shotgun argument" is weak at best
my point is values matter-

Again, karma is a bear

Originally posted by PushupMan:

Here's my problem with all of this ... "regular" shirt, "red" shirt, "blue" shirt or "grey" shirt, the kid is still getting to play football and earn a bachelor's degree (plus) FOR FREE.

My son and I will be paying $65,000 (not including student loan interest) for his bachelor's degree. So please tell me again why grey-shirting is a bad deal?
THere is no guarantee he gets to play being a "grey" shirt. A grey shirt isn't a signed deal, and no team has to acknowledge the grey shirt as a formal offer for next year. Basically, the grey shirt needs to be eliminated. Teams should not be allowed to over recruit. I realize college sports is about nothing but money these days, but it shouldnt be. Colleges still have responsibility to do right by their current students, and their recruits. And yes, everyone does, not just Louisville, but it needs to be stopped.

Originally posted by dldinatl:
People crying over this amazes me. Do you see colleges crying to news papers, when a kid committed in October and decided to go to another school in January? NO you do not. This works both ways and generally it favors the kids. Hundreds of grey shirts happen every year.

Go ask Kentucky fans how they feel about a strong verbal commitment from a high school kid. They are leaving in groups over there.
Except, it doesnt work both ways. Kids commit to coaches just as much as they do to a school these days. So, if their is a coaching change, a verbal commitment might think otherwise. That is perfectly natural. Secondly, once signed, kids don't have the same options. A coach can release a kid from a scholarship for doing nothing wrong, a coach can leave at anytime, where as a player cannot. Not only do they have to sit out a year to transfer, but they also have to be released from a scholarship that the school is under no obligation to hold up, and that school my prevent that kid from transferring to specific schools. But regardless of all that, we are talking about kids just starting out in life vs coaches making millions. This isnt picking on UL, as yeah, a lot of teams do this, but it just shows how much of a crap organization the NCAA is to allow this type of thing. The NCAA has no interest in the athletes, other than to generate money off of them.

Originally posted by johngault:
1-he was offered, he accepted and shut down the recruiting process...In hindsight, looks like he made a mistake. How is U of L responsible for that?

Your reasoning does not match the world of football. Kids commit to schools all the time. May get 10 more offers after that. It's their choice to look at the best option for them. So let's say Louisville needs a RB. We recruit and get a commit. He then gets and offer from Alabama and leaves. UofL is suppose to go without a RB in that class? No. So schools that need 1 RB, recruits 2,3,4. In hopes of holding a good one. Prepares back up plans if something fails. I don't know, like a normal business would operate. Yet we blame the schools for reacting to the recruiting world. You want grey shirts, blue shirts or whatever to stop? When a kid commits, it sticks. So they should wait until they're sure. The schools would know I have this locked down, move on. You don't go to the local store and ask them to run their company inefficiently. Why in the world would a football program? If you're going to make an argument, at least base it on some form of reality and not emotion.

THey need to get rid of national signing day, which is what causes all of this. Kids should be able to sign throughout the school year. And when a kid signs, both the school and player are obligated to the scholarship, with a few exceptions. IF a kid doesnt make the grades, has off field troubles, or fails a drug test, the school can take back the offer. ANd, if there are major coaching changes (at least HC, maybe even OC and DC), then the kid can opt out. Other than that, it is a signed deal. This way, teams wouldnt over recruit and leave kids out in the cold, but also a player can't change his mind every other day so the schools know who is for sure committed to them.

Your reasoning does not match the world of football. Kids commit to schools all the time. May get 10 more offers after that. It's their choice to look at the best option for them. So let's say Louisville needs a RB. We recruit and get a commit. He then gets and offer from Alabama and leaves. UofL is suppose to go without a RB in that class? No. So schools that need 1 RB, recruits 2,3,4. In hopes of holding a good one. Prepares back up plans if something fails. I don't know, like a normal business would operate. Yet we blame the schools for reacting to the recruiting world. You want grey shirts, blue shirts or whatever to stop? When a kid commits, it sticks. So they should wait until they're sure. The schools would know I have this locked down, move on. You don't go to the local store and ask them to run their company inefficiently. Why in the world would a football program? If you're going to make an argument, at least base it on some form of reality and not emotion.
See my above post, it is an easy remedy to these situations. But secondly, the NCAA teams should lean more towards the interests of the students than they do their sports programs.

And yes, grey shirts are pointless. If the kid accepted Louisville grey shirt offer, they could easily pull that out from under him next year too, so they are a meaningless promise, just like accepting a kids verbal commitment. So yes, greyshirts need to stop.

This post was edited on 2/5 8:55 PM by Cubs79

This post was edited on 2/5 8:59 PM by Cubs79

1-he was offered, he accepted and shut down the recruiting process-interesting argument that "he was never offered"-wow is all I can say to that-i could cite link after link but what's the point?
1. he was still offered a full ride scholarship, just delayed entrance. And whose fault is it that he shut down his recruiting process? Is that being loyal or just short-sighted? Coaches change all the time. Why did he not take his other visits and be prepared to make another decision if the situation changed? Why not just be a team player and delay entrance during a semester you would have been redshirting anyways?

I just hope hope for his sake that he doesn't make himself into the victim like so many others are trying to do.

Originally posted by UofLHouse:

1. he was still offered a full ride scholarship, just delayed entrance. And whose fault is it that he shut down his recruiting process? Is that being loyal or just short-sighted? Coaches change all the time. Why did he not take his other visits and be prepared to make another decision if the situation changed? Why not just be a team player and delay entrance during a semester you would have been redshirting anyways?

I just hope hope for his sake that he doesn't make himself into the victim like so many others are trying to do.
False. He was offered a verbal agreement, just like this year. Louisville (or any team), is under no obligation to actually give him a full ride and acknowledge the grey shirt "offer" when the time comes.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:03 PM by Cubs79

I agree it should stop. Although it won't. I can understand how people say what's in the best intrest of the kid. Let's be real here. It's not about the kid. It's about money and entertainment. That's it. The schools use the kids to make money. In return they get to showcase their skills for 2,3,4 years to America in hopes of the golden egg. I'd say it's a pretty fair trade off. On top of that, if the kid wants to learn guess what a free education at some of the finest colleges in the country. Early entry, normal entry or late entry. It's still a pretty sweet deal that 95% of people would take if their skill set fit the need of the time.

I agree it should stop. Although it won't. I can understand how people say what's in the best intrest of the kid. Let's be real here. It's not about the kid. It's about money and entertainment. That's it. The schools use the kids to make money. In return they get to showcase their skills for 2,3,4 years to America in hopes of the golden egg. I'd say it's a pretty fair trade off. On top of that, if the kid wants to learn guess what a free education at some of the finest colleges in the country. Early entry, normal entry or late entry. It's still a pretty sweet deal that 95% of people would take if their skill set fit the need of the time.
I agree it isnt about the kid, but it should be. If kids are going to be treated like commodities, which is really what they are treated as these days, then at least pay them something. There are few, if any, NCAA rules that cater to the kid, and it needs to change.

But it isnt a fair pay off. A kid who is an excellent student, does nothing wrong off the field, can easily have his scholarship pulled, simply because they have no use for him on the field. Or in this situation, thinking you have a scholarship to a school, that is pulled last minute, is not a fair pay off. Things like that can completely throw a kids college experience upside down, and contrary to popular belief, most of these kids need the education part because they arent going to be professional athletes.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:11 PM by Cubs79

Originally posted by Cubs79:
...grey shirts are pointless. If the kid accepted Louisville grey shirt offer, they could easily pull that out from under him next year...
Any kid's scholly can be "pulled out from under him the next year". A deferred scholly (grayshirt) is no different. That's the nature of the beast.

Some schools are starting to change that, but that's still the rule rather than the exception...

False. He was offered a verbal agreement, just like this year. Louisville (or any team), is under no obligation to actually give him a full ride and acknowledge the grey shirt "offer" when the time comes.

well, if you want to get technical, schools can deny admittance to kids who sign an NLI, so that part of it is a "verbal agreement" as well. But go ahead, make much ado of nothing. I'm sure you have nothing better to do...

BS. That "verbal agreement" is called a "scholarship offer". Those are the terms of that offer. If it's called a scholarship offer the first time around, it's still called a scholairship offer, not a BS verbal agreement, the second time around. Standard terminology.

Originally posted by zipp:
...grey shirts are pointless. If the kid accepted Louisville grey shirt offer, they could easily pull that out from under him next year...
Any kid's scholly can be "pulled out from under him the next year". A deferred scholly (grayshirt) is no different. That's the nature of the beast.

Some schools are starting to change that, but that's still the rule rather than the exception...
I know scholarships can be revoked, and that should be stopped. I am just saying, in this specific situation, the idea that they offered him a "grey shirt offer", doesnt make the situation better, since they are under no obligation to keep that offer.

Originally posted by Steelers2012:

BS. That "verbal agreement" is called a "scholarship offer". Those are the terms of that offer. If it's called a scholarship offer the first time around, it's still called a scholairship offer, not a BS verbal agreement, the second time around. Standard terminology.
Yup. Scholarship offer remained. If delaying entrance for one semester - a red shirt semester - was all it took for him to turn his back on the program then it is for the best that he moved on.

I know scholarships can be revoked, and that should be stopped. I am just saying, in this specific situation, the idea that they offered him a "grey shirt offer", doesnt make the situation better, since they are under no obligation to keep that offer. Nor is any other school obligated to keep him on scholarship. IOW, it's an irrelevant point...

Gosh, a UL fan 'welcoming' Florida State and Clemson fans to big time college football. It keeps getting better and better.

THere is no guarantee he gets to play being a "grey" shirt. A grey shirt isn't a signed deal, and no team has to acknowledge the grey shirt as a formal offer for next year. Basically, the grey shirt needs to be eliminated. Teams should not be allowed to over recruit. I realize college sports is about nothing but money these days, but it shouldnt be. Colleges still have responsibility to do right by their current students, and their recruits. And yes, everyone does, not just Louisville, but it needs to be stopped.
You apparently don't know what a grey-shirt is. The kid who is asked to grey-shirt signs an NLI under the agreement that he doesn't enroll until January of the following year. So it most definitely IS a signed deal, and IS formalized. During Petrino's 2006 recruiting class at UofL, he even specified during his press conference which NLI's were grey shirt offers.

So ... yes, UofL could decide to back out on the agreement next January. At that point, you and me both would be criticizing UofL for doing so ... and I would be doing so precisely because we wasted a year of the young man's life by holding him to a grey shirt offer that we chose not to honor.

This post was edited on 2/6 8:57 AM by PushupMan

Originally posted by BobbyK49:

Gosh, a UL fan 'welcoming' Florida State and Clemson fans to big time college football. It keeps getting better and better.
Louisville's been playing big time football for 30 years - since the man in my signature signed on to be our head coach. We just came late to the party as far as being in a conference was concerned, and as a result we had to work our way up from C-USA to the Big East/AAC and now finally the ACC.

Our athletic department actually generates more revenue annually than Clemson - a close second to Florida State in that area. With an equal share of the ACC media deal, we might even pass FSU. Bottom line here is that we didn't just become big-time with our invitation to the ACC.

Originally posted by zipp:

I know scholarships can be revoked, and that should be stopped. I am just saying, in this specific situation, the idea that they offered him a "grey shirt offer", doesnt make the situation better, since they are under no obligation to keep that offer.
Why? What guarantees exist in life? Scholarships are a privilege, not a right.

There are legitimate reasons to revoke a scholarship....then it must be revoked....or are you one that believes in the entitlement society?

Gray shirts are not pointless if you are Bama, OSU, UT are any other of the so-called blue bloods of CFB.....why should it be any different for UofL? To say otherwise is gravely hypocritical, no?

Best part about this thread is how UCF fans think we care about what they think. Ucf is a garbage,irrelevant program who plays in a tin can stadium. Not to mention is shitty in about all sports. Go over to the Tulsa board Golden Knights maybe they care about your irrelevant program, Seriously??UCF? The program who's coached lied on his resume? Lost scholarships for cheating? Get real.

I don't know the timeline and don't care to look it up, but once upon a time, a FB Grant-In-aid was a FOUR year deal. When you recruited a kid, he better pan out because you had him for four. (Unless you could run him off- see uk "thin thirty")

Then, I find out the GIA's became "renewable yearly".

It seems "revoking" a scholly is rare, but it can be done.

Now, once again the FOUR year deal seems to be gaining momentum again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT