ADVERTISEMENT

Colburn Situation

Hell if anything he could use this to his advantage. It's more of hit to a players ego than it's actually hurting them. The coaching staff is basically saying we want you but the position you play isn't needed in this class and you aren't ready to steal snaps away from any of our current players.

Lets say UofL went ahead and signed him instead of offering the greyshirt. He most likely would be sitting for a year and that year is gone forever unless they redshirted him. I understand he would be training with the team, but 4-5 months is gone in the blink of an eye. To an 18-19 year old kid 4-5 months seems like 3 years, but us old f&*ks know that is a blip of time in the grand scheme of things.

If the kid has shelter and food he can hit the weight room, do sprints, and other drills. I'm sure he is allowed to look at UofL playbooks or no? This could be turned into a positive thing, IF he uses the time wisely. On top of that the coaching staff would probably appreciate a kids dedication for accepting a greyshirt and down the road that can pay off for him as well.

Damn why is everyone so negative.

"No grayshirt success story is better than Kansas State senior safety Ty Zimmerman. Coming out of Junction City (Kan.) High in 2008, Zimmerman was a two-time all-state quarterback. But colleges didn't flock his way and his only options were Division II Washburn University and a grayshirt offer from Kansas State. Zimmerman always dreamed of playing for the Wildcats, so he accepted the grayshirt offer even though it wasn't the most ideal situation.
"It sucked at first," Zimmerman said. "It wasn't really the ego part for me. Just the fact all my friends were off going to college, and I was stuck back at home. All my friends were off at college having fun, playing football and everything like that. That was the hardest part for me, talking to them on the phone every day and hearing about how much fun they were having. It took a lot of patience, but it really paid off for me in the long run."
It sure did. Zimmerman developed into one of the best players in Kansas State history and will someday have his name on the K-State Football Ring of Honor. He earned All-American honors as a junior and senior and became the first player in Wildcats history to receive all-conference honors all four years of his career."
This post was edited on 2/3 4:39 PM by chiphunt1

Originally posted by PushupMan:
Originally posted by b0ndsj0ns20:

And how exactly is he supposed to know for sure that scholarship would still be there in January? Is he supposed to take the coaches "word" on it?
Anything's possible, I guess ... but I have never heard of any coach rescinding a grey shirt offer.

Part of that is the timing ... if Colburn were to accept a grey shirt offer, he would enroll and begin classes in early January. Signing day of 2016 would be the first Wednesday in February. So UofL's 2016 class would not be so full at that point that UofL couldn't (or wouldn't) honor Colburn's grey shirt opportunity.
Most likely it would be honored, but I'm fairly certain there's nothing at all that would require any school to honor a promise to offer a grey shirt to someone. A lot of things could happen in that time period. He could get injured working out, you guys could land a couple of RB early in recruiting that you consider to be better prospects, etc. I could certainly understand from his perspective being leery about wanting to take your coaches word for it, especially since the reason listed that you guys needed to sign more DB's (which I'm sure is a very valid reason) had to have been known by the coaches for weeks now. They could have hinted at the possible need to grey shirt the kid a while back, but that would have given him more time to find another place to go and my guess is the coaches didn't want that.

Strong pulled the late grey shirt routine at least 5 times
It's not new
Happens everywhere
I pray you guys aren't the same ones complaining about perceived lack of star power in the class
This is big time D1 fball
It's not for the thin skinned and it's not the Boy Scouts
This happens everywhere
If it bothers you guys so much then maybe cheering for a less competitor team would be appropriate

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:
80,86 - we've had our differences, but you've always seemed like a good, upstanding person....someone who would value commitment and honor. I'm surprised that you are so flippant about someone being firmly committed to something and then having things swept out from under them at the last minute. We need more kids like Colburn, not less.
I do value commitment and honor but I also trust the coaching staff when it comes to the players they feel will help the program. In a perfect world, it would be great if there were never things like this when it comes to recruiting. But as you know, we live far from perfection. Early commitments are often passed over by later commitments. They know it. The coaches know it, and the fans know it. If that's flippant, then everyone involved is flippant.

Also, I don't know much about Colburn to say we need kids like him. What do you know? Why do we need more 3 star players with very limited power conference offers? I believe we would all agree that the better more sought after recruits is what we're looking for as a ACC member. Now if this Colburn kid was a local player I may be more inclined to feel we should keep to the commitment. But like many have said, he can still be a Card as a greyshirt. He wasn't going to play as a true freshman anyway so why not wait and sign in January?

If he's a great kid. A humble guy. He won't feel dissed by the coaching staff. If he's not all about instant gratification but what's best for all involved, then he will accept the greyshirt. However, if he can get another good gig at Wake Forest, then he can go there where he's closer to home and still in the ACC conference.

This should just be a tiny bump in his road to success. He's young and blessed. And the University of Louisville will do just fine if he isn't a Cardinal.

If the kid grayshirts, keeps his nose clean, and we don't follow through on a scholly, get back to me at that time.

I'll help organize the firing squad...

I think it is a real black eye for the program to handle Matt Colburn the way they did. He has been committed since June and never wavered in his commitment. Everyone knew there were several RB's in this class. So it would seem that the staff could have at least given him a heads up more than one day prior to NSD. Instead we take a commitment from a guy that is facing a domestic battery charge and are still waiting on a guy like Redwine who commits and decommits depending on which way the wind blows.

I realize they are offering a greyshirt "opportunity", but lets be honest here, that is a nice way of saying thanks but no thanks this late in the game.
You do know who your head coach is dont you. When the tigers come up next year going to make it personal with your scumbag leader for what he did to a carolina kid that that never wavered from his commitment. Should kick your ass out of the conference for even hiring the scumbag.

Originally posted by JAM4TGRS:

I think it is a real black eye for the program to handle Matt Colburn the way they did. He has been committed since June and never wavered in his commitment. Everyone knew there were several RB's in this class. So it would seem that the staff could have at least given him a heads up more than one day prior to NSD. Instead we take a commitment from a guy that is facing a domestic battery charge and are still waiting on a guy like Redwine who commits and decommits depending on which way the wind blows.

I realize they are offering a greyshirt "opportunity", but lets be honest here, that is a nice way of saying thanks but no thanks this late in the game.
You do know who your head coach is dont you. When the tigers come up next year going to make it personal with your scumbag leader for what he did to a carolina kid that that never wavered from his commitment. Should kick your ass out of the conference for even hiring the scumbag.
No one likes what happened to Colburn and I personally would have rather seen us honor the commitment to a good kid who stayed loyal to us. That being said you are a dipsh!t for coming over and saying we should be kicked out the ACC for hiring Petrino back.

What Bobby and his family have done for local charities here and for their work in the community in general is nothing short of phenomenal and who the hell are you to say who deserves a 2nd chance or not? I'm sure all the choir boys at Clemson are in church right now praying that you develop a brain.

And about your Clemson team coming up here next year, make sure you and your Tigers pack a lunch because we won't be handing the game to you all like we did last year.

No You Won't. You Will Back The University Like Fans Always Do

Which is exactly why athletes should ignore "the fans", not sign autographs or any garbage like that, and do what is best for themselves.

Look, greyshirt offers aren't binding. Louisville could come up with any excuse they want not to follow through on a greyshirt offer. They could claim that the kid's grades weren't right or had the ever-so-vague "character questions." If that happens, your response will be "wow, glad we pulled that kid's offer. Looks like he was nothing but trouble to begin with."

This kid was punished for his loyalty to this coaching staff, and hopefully the next kid won't make the same mistake of trusting them further than they can throw them.

And no, his high school should definitely not send any more athletes to Louisville over this. This kid could have gone to Clemson, South Carolina, UGA or Florida, but now thanks to this he will be lucky to spend his college career going 8-34 at Wake Forest.

yeah you think your a$$hole was tight at the end of the game this past year wait until next year.

Re: No You Won't. You Will Back The University Like Fans Always Do

Goodness there's a whole lot of outsiders crying big tears over here
Welcome to college football girls
This isn't the boy scouts
Thanks for your unwelcome info
You've convinced us to all demand us succeeding from the acc
Get lost clowns

You've convinced us to all demand we secede from the acc
Get lost clowns

Originally posted by JAM4TGRS:

Welcome to the board coach Knotts. What he did to a Carolina kid? You mean gave him an offer? Why didn't Clemson? IMO its more look what Clemson did to a Carolina kid. Told him he wasn't good enough from jump

And no, his high school should definitely not send any more athletes to Louisville over this. This kid could have gone to Clemson, South Carolina, UGA or Florida, but now thanks to this he will be lucky to spend his college career going 8-34 at Wake Forest.

WRONG!

Those teams did not offer Colburn.

Originally posted by marshall_dillon:
Which is exactly why athletes should ignore "the fans", not sign autographs or any garbage like that, and do what is best for themselves.

Look, greyshirt offers aren't binding. Louisville could come up with any excuse they want not to follow through on a greyshirt offer. They could claim that the kid's grades weren't right or had the ever-so-vague "character questions." If that happens, your response will be "wow, glad we pulled that kid's offer. Looks like he was nothing but trouble to begin with."

This kid was punished for his loyalty to this coaching staff, and hopefully the next kid won't make the same mistake of trusting them further than they can throw them.

Except NONE of those schools offered what UofL is STILL offering...a scholarship. Give me a freaking break with all this South Carolina "we got our boy's back" crap. Not ONE of you SC guys offered the kid; we did, and still are. Go ahead and tell the kid "screw UofL" and take away what is STILL easily his best offer. Either put up, with an offer that improves his situation...or shut up.

Believe me if he had offers from all those schools he would still have those types of offers. If they wanted him before they still would take him. He'll FL's class is only ranked 80 something so they are desperate.

Look I feel bad for the kid but UofL didn't take the scholarship from him just delayed it. That sucks but if that is the worst thing he has to endure in life he will be very blessed. How many examples in this thread does it take to see that it happens all the time at a lot of places and kids not only survive but thrive in same scenario.

It's not UofL's fault that the kid is going to WF. He was offered a Greyshirt and turned it down. If this is such a big deal to folks throughout South Carolina, then why doesn't USCjr or Clemson offer the kid?

Are we shocked... it is Petrino?
You would think he would be smart enough just for P.R. reasons not to do things like this...he already takes hits on his character...simply wow

SC can't offer cuz they already have 29 commitments which is normal for USC.

This post was edited on 2/3 10:32 PM by PhiTauCard

People crying over this amazes me. Do you see colleges crying to news papers, when a kid committed in October and decided to go to another school in January? NO you do not. This works both ways and generally it favors the kids. Hundreds of grey shirts happen every year.

Go ask Kentucky fans how they feel about a strong verbal commitment from a high school kid. They are leaving in groups over there.

Good grief people. Of course nobody wants to see Colburn leave the fold and he seems like a solid kid. But get real - football is a business and that is why he has been given the greyshirt option. Take a look at his other offers and realize that he is not the top priority in this class. I suppose Kragthorpe would honor a very early commit where we are the only D1 offer but we have to fill our roster according to our needs.

FWIW...one of the DB's we thought we signing - Redwine - just picked Miami.

Will You Please Realize That The Problem Is THE TIMING?

Asking him to greyshirt? Not a problem.
Pulling his offer? Not a problem.

The problem? Doing it two days before signing day when everyone else is full.

His other list of offers? Due to the kid shutting down his recruiting and not taking over visits or sending out tape during his senior year. Had he continued to take visits, who knows who else might have offered.

And the excuse that they gave was bogus. "We need more spots for DBs." They knew this back in early January when the kid came up for an official visit. They should have asked him to greyshirt then.

The lesson that kids should learn: do not commit early to Louisville. Period.

Re: Will You Please Realize That The Problem Is THE TIMING?

His other list of offers? Due to the kid shutting down his recruiting and not taking over visits or sending out tape during his senior year. Had he continued to take visits, who knows who else might have offered.

And the excuse that they gave was bogus. "We need more spots for DBs." They knew this back in early January when the kid came up for an official visit. They should have asked him to greyshirt then.

sick0027.r191677.gif

Would it be better to sign him and let him ride the bench for 4 years???

Every major college program has had a situation just like this the past ten years. It's unfortunate but it happens.

Says a Texas fan that's school has signed 29 players this year, when the limit is 25. What do you think will be asked of those kids genius? So we tell a kid to grey shirt or offer is pulled and we are the bad guys. Big football schools have been over recruiting for years and nothing is said. It's the same thing, when Texas hits 25 those over the limit will be asked to what? I know you have the answer, go ahead and say it.....

I believe he will end up at Wake. Be cautious of Wake Forest. They put together a VERY SOLID class. QB Kendall Hinton and DB Amari Henderson and RB Rocky Reid are names you will get to know, esp Hinton, kid is special.

Hate this happened to him because dude can play no doubt

Havinally posted by Boston.Knight:
We're having a constructive discussion on this in the UCF forum.
Constructive conversation on UCF board? Yeah right.

Originally posted by shaggy106:
No Red wine and now no running back along with bad press for the program.shag, are you and Knuckles getting together later for a good cry?

BTW, pass me that "Red wine" bottle when you're done pouring.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by birdteeth:
You've convinced us to all demand we secede from the acc
Get lost clowns
Yeah, you are right. There is no place for integrity in college football.

This situation is why players should be able to sign letters of commitment early. Make it a binding contract for both sides. This way there is a penalty if a player flips at the last minute and keeps colleges from stringing players along just to see if something better comes along at the last minute. It would have certainly kept this nonsense from happening.

You want timing ask these kids that don't know yet.

Team  -  Signed LOI

Memphis   30
Tennessee   29
Auburn   28
Georgia   28
Texas   28 
Mississippi State   28
South Carolina   28
Ohio State   27
Georgia Tech   27 
Cincinnati   27
Kansas   27
Purdue   27

UCF fans still obsessed over the UofL program I see. We know you want to reach our status, but you never will. Enjoy the AAC LOL

Not just UCF fans crying foul.
Do a little research on this kid.
And To pull a scholarship during the dead period, really?
Karma is a bear.

Karma is a bear.

Originally posted by johngault:
Karma is a bear.
Scholarship was NOT pulled! How many times does it have to be said? Okay, you don't like what happened. At least use the facts when bitching about it. And be ready to do the same when UCF does it.

Karma? Karma Chameleon? What are you, some kind of boy George fan?

Did Clemson, So Car, Georgia, and Fla. offer?

Or maybe, have a backup plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT