ADVERTISEMENT

Colburn Situation

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I think it is a real black eye for the program to handle Matt Colburn the way they did. He has been committed since June and never wavered in his commitment. Everyone knew there were several RB's in this class. So it would seem that the staff could have at least given him a heads up more than one day prior to NSD. Instead we take a commitment from a guy that is facing a domestic battery charge and are still waiting on a guy like Redwine who commits and decommits depending on which way the wind blows.

I realize they are offering a greyshirt "opportunity", but lets be honest here, that is a nice way of saying thanks but no thanks this late in the game.

It all depends on what the staff told him originally. Recruiting is a fluid situation, and if our guys kept the young man in the loop by letting him know about the possibility of coming in as a greyshirt, then everything is above board. In having dealt with high school kids extensively, I'd be willing to bet that Colburn had selective hearing, or simply did not listen to what the coaches were telling him. Bottom line: it's not like we told him he had a scholarship only to pull the rug out from under him. He still has the opportunity to come in and receive all the benefits of a free education just the same as our other scholarship athletes. It's just been delayed a little. This was not a dirty deal in any way. It would have been sketchy only if we pulled the offer completely at the last minute.

It's difficult to discuss these situations without access to 100% of the info, which none of us here have. Comparing Colburn and Fields recruiting seems to be on an emotional level and not factual one.

I trust the coaches to do the right thing for the team and players, both current and incoming, to the best of their ability. Sometimes in life there are grey areas, decisions must be made when timelines are near.

He should grey shirt if that is what the coaches want him to do to be a part of this team.

Go Cards!

Black eyes heal quickly. Look, the recruiting process is a two way street. Decommitments from a recruit happen all the time. But when a school does it, everyone freaks out. At least we offered a greyshirt. FSU just told a commit there wasn't anymore room for him.

Knotts said Monday night Grantham told him they had three junior defensive backs declare early for the NFL draft and they had made a real push for defensive backs and had landed several commitments, thus they needed to use te scholarship for Colburn for one of those defensive backs.

"Needless to say that's not what we thought the deal was," a perturbed Knotts said. "We are talking to any and everybody. Wake Forest, Navy, Charleston Southern, Georgia Southern and Kent State, that's kind of where we are right now."

Knotts said the news has not gone over well with his star running back.

"Not good, not good," he said. "I tell my players when you commit, you commit. That's what a commitment is. Matt's been committed for eight months. It's irritating that men can do this. He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset. Some things have opened up but that's not the way it should be. It's not right. Louisville is only going to hurt themselves doing this. Everybody knows not just what a good player Matt is but what a good person he is. That is not the way to do business and if that's the way to do business we don't want to deal with them. He (Petrino) won't be able to recruit my school anymore and I imagine there will be some other coaches that will say the same thing. Trust factor is just not there. They've known about these three DBs wanting to go to the NFL for weeks now. To use that as an excuse doesn't hold water with me."

Some of you amaze me. Everything and I mean everything for you has to be viewed through red colored glasses. The situation stinks. There is no other way to describe it.

I realize other schools do this. So what. The kid was committed since June. Perhaps the coaches should have encouraged him to take other visits if this were a possibility.

Originally posted by CardX:

Black eyes heal quickly. Look, the recruiting process is a two way street. Decommitments from a recruit happen all the time. But when a school does it, everyone freaks out. At least we offered a greyshirt. FSU just told a commit there wasn't anymore room for him.
My expectations are much higher for a university and the grown adults that are paid to administer it. So no, I don't think recruiting is exactly a two way street. Anyways, the kid was committed, never wavered in his commitment and didn't even take other visits. Sounds like his street was pretty straight.

Alabama, FSU, Oklahoma, and Texas have all done this in the last 72 hours. South Carolina did it to LoZo on signing day when Clowney chose them. Go ahead, Coach Knotts, and do a tremendous disservice to your kids by limiting their future opportunities. Idiot. Btw, he offered a grey shirt.

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:

My expectations are much higher for a university and the grown adults that are paid to administer it. So no, I don't think recruiting is exactly a two way street. Anyways, the kid was committed, never wavered in his commitment and didn't even take other visits. Sounds like his street was pretty straight.
You're acting like what happened is something new. It's not.

"He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset."

I find this odd. If he is that immature, he probably would benefit from a grey shirt more than most.

Funny thing, if the kid was getting cold feet about coming here and decided to accept an offer elsewhere his coach, Knotts, would have probably said the same thing, "He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset," but now he's gonna be a (insert team name here) and I support him.

Go grey and quit the whining he got recruited over. It happens everywhere accept in Wonderland and Utopia. Hell, let's give him a trophy for participating.

And furthermore, my glasses aren't red with regards to this.

Go Cards!

This post was edited on 2/3 11:00 AM by beakwithteeth

This is where an early signing period would have help this kid. I think he should have taken as many visits as he possible could have because you never know where the chips may fall. In his case he is in scramble mode without having any other visits or relationships. The reality is Louisville was the best option for him and he didn't look for other options. That is not Louisville fault.

The reality is recruiting is a very fluid process and every player should explore every opportunity they are given.

This is America, integrity is dead. Just look at the comments. "Everybody else does it". lol. talk about immature. anything to win, especially if it doesn't affect you personally. humans are pathetic.

How about this?

Option one:

Get a part time job from Aug. - Jan. Maybe take a community college course or two. Stay in shape and improve. Become a Card 4 months later and get a free ride.

Option two:

Join the army. Basic training would probably take about the same amount of time from the recruiting office to completion.

That way he won't have to worry about "He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset."
[/I]
They can help him straighten out those issues in no time. Hell, he could be in Iraq or some other Shangrala(sp) in a few short months there after.

Humans are pathetic? As apposed to what? Dolphins? Chimps?

What an absurd thing to say. Would you rather be some other creature? Of course humans can be pathetic. We have a conscience. A soul if you will. We have a choice of right or wrong. And that can be very subjective.

Integrity is up to the individual. Some have it. Some choose to ignore it. This is not an American thing. It's a human thing.

What's going on with this recruit will happen again to some other recruit by some other school. At the same time there will be a recruit he will receive the opposite reaction by a school and some fans will complain they haven't recruited good enough.

We all are pathetic...and we all are human. Thank God! I would hate to be a Crow eating the dead.

"Humans are pathetic? As apposed to what? Dolphins? Chimps?"

Didn't get to read the rest yet 'cause I spit my lunch through my nose w laughter.

Owe you one 86

"The reality is Louisville was the best option for him and he didn't look for other options. That is not Louisville fault."

SMH. So basically staying firm in a commitment is a negative attribute? Are some of you that blinded in your fandom?

So lets say your son or daughter accepts a job offer with a company. They give their current employer a month's notice just to be very accommodating. Then one day before you are to start the new job, the new employer says whoops, we hired too many people we can't take you on now...maybe later. What would your perception of that company be?

Originally posted by beakwithteeth:
"He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset."

I find this odd. If he is that immature, he probably would benefit from a grey shirt more than most.

Funny thing, if the kid was getting cold feet about coming here and decided to accept an offer elsewhere his coach, Knotts, would have probably said the same thing, "He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset," but now he's gonna be a (insert team name here) and I support him.

Go grey and quit the whining he got recruited over. It happens everywhere accept in Wonderland and Utopia. Hell, let's give him a trophy for participating.

And furthermore, my glasses aren't red with regards to this.

Go Cards!

This post was edited on 2/3 11:00 AM by beakwithteeth
I truly hope that you don't actually believe what you wrote because it is pitiful.

He is "immature" because a school pulls the rug out from him one day before NSD. So I guess you think the kid that switches his commitment five times is admirable and mature in your eyes.

And no, your glasses aren't red...they are black because you obviously have lost all sight.

"So lets say your son or daughter accepts a job offer with a company. They give their current employer a month's notice just to be very accommodating. Then one day before you are to start the new job, the new employer says whoops, we hired too many people we can't take you on now...maybe later. What would your perception of that company be?"

Happens.

They didn't say maybe later...

They said "grey shirt." 'Cause we filled another opening first. Would you still be able to start at the first of the year? We'd love to have you!! If not, we wish you well!

It's happened before with this crew, and it will happen again.

Have you guys forgotten? It's JUST WIN now in the Ville.

If some dirty pool gets played, so be it. Yes, the kid has a greyshirt offer, but let's face it. It's a slap in the face to the SC POY.

We scrimp and claw our way into fertile fields, then piss on it.

We just can't scream and yell when a kid decommits. It goes both ways.

The only "good" I can see from it is the supposed commitment to DEFENSE. That is the strange twist to me.

All I can say is, keep winning.

Pull the rug???? Or delay the magic carpet ride.

Here's what I'd tell my young son in this scenario...and yes I have one.

AUGUST 2019...

Me: Son, what's wrong?

Son: They want me to grey shirt...

Me: What's that mean to you?

Son: Can't join the team 'til 1st of the year.

Me: But you still get to join the team, you want to be a Card...with a full ride...right?

Son: Yes, but not until Jan.

Me: Wow, that's a blessing. Are your legs OK?

Son: Yeah dad why?

Me: 'cause the yard needs cut.

This post was edited on 2/3 12:09 PM by beakwithteeth

Pull the rug???? Or delay the magic carpet ride.

Here's what I'd tell my young son in this scenario...and yes I have one.

AUGUST 2019...

Me: Son, what's wrong?

Son: They want me to grey shirt...

Me: What's that mean to you?

Son: Can't join the team 'til 1st of the year.

Me: But you still get to join the team, you want to be a Card...with a full ride...right?

Son: Yes, but not until Jan.

Me: Wow, that's a blessing. Are your legs OK?

Son: Yeah dad why?

Me: 'cause the yard needs cut.

This post was edited on 2/3 12:09 PM by beakwithteeth
Hopefully you don't have kids or aren't planning on having kids, because you are a unapologetic idiot.

This post was edited on 2/3 12:50 PM by Sultan__of__Swine

It's about the same if a kid says I am committed for months then a couple of days before signing day says " I am going to Miami." It happens all of the time and is part of the game. I'll leave it at this, when kids start honoring their commitment I will concern myself with the schools honoring theirs.

This post was edited on 2/3 12:27 PM by dldinatl

Looks like Matt Colburn has an offer from Wake Forest now, if he is determined to commit and enroll for the 2015 class, rather than greyshirt for UofL in January 2016. Whatever choice he makes, I wish him nothing but the best for his future.

Deacons Illustrated @WakeRivals · 29m 29 minutes ago

Wake Forest has offered 2015 3-star RB Matt Colburn @Colburn31. Colburn is a former UL commit & South Carolina Mr. Football in 2014.

Originally posted by dldinatl:
It's about the same if a kid says I am committed for months then a couple of days before signing day says " I am going to Miami." It happens all of the time and is part of the game. I'll leave it at this, when kids start honoring their commitment I will concern myself with the schools honoring theirs.

I'd like to think that a university of higher learning would operate at a higher moral compass then a 18-yr old teenager. Your response sounds like something two kids would say about one another....."well he did it, so I did it too."

"Hopefully you don't have kids or aren't planning on having kids, because you are a unapologetic idiot."

And I should apologize for what exactly, Swine?

As I stated in the post, I do have a son. Daughter too.

And if either one could get a scholarship at the school they want to play team sports for but had to wait a few extra months...NO BIG DEAL.

"Hopefully you don't have kids or aren't planning on having kids, because you are a unapologetic idiot."

And I should apologize for what exactly, Swine?

As I stated in the post, I do have a son. Daughter too.

And if either one could get a scholarship at the school they want to play team sports for but had to wait a few extra months...NO BIG DEAL.
Wow! Must be great to be on "your" team.

MV5BMTIwODA3Mjg0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTk3NTM5._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

"I'd like to think that a university of higher learning would operate at a higher moral compass then a 18-yr old teenager."

I didn't realize we had Dr. Phillip Barbay in the house from "Back To School."

I'm more Thornton Mellon w/o the $$ than "The Great Santini"

Both excellent movies btw.

Originally posted by dldinatl:

Exactly.

HS players flip all throughout their Senior years.

Even on signing day, theyll flip.

Its part of the business. Commits will decommit. Coaches will pull offers or ask for
A player to greyshirt.

Some of you who dont understand must be basketball first fans.

Would he even see the field here before his junior year? Probably not! The football team has needs and an undersized RB probably isn't one of them

Okay, let's put it this way. Say tomorrow a 5 star OL tells UofL that he wants to be a Card. Would Petrino pull one of our 2 star commits to make room for a big time recruit who plays a position the team needs badly? Would the same fans protest like they have done for Colburn?

Of course it's about winning and as long as it's not illegal I say do what needs to be done to win. We can feel bad for Colburn until we realize he's 18 years old and is having his college education paid for. No paying back thousands and thousands of student loan dollars. And if he signs with Wake Forest, he will have his chances of putting up 100 yard games against the school who asked him to greyshirt.

Some are making way too much out of this. Like the kid will be stuck having to work for Wendy's. He's exactly where thousands of young men his age only wished they could be.

Good luck young Mr. Colburn.

80,86 - we've had our differences, but you've always seemed like a good, upstanding person....someone who would value commitment and honor. I'm surprised that you are so flippant about someone being firmly committed to something and then having things swept out from under them at the last minute. We need more kids like Colburn, not less.

Your 100% correct just look at how many Uk has had in the recent weeks, and look at our basketball programs. Personally, I think it's very selfish for a coach to say a certain coach can't recruit any of his players anymore. It should be up to the player and his family to determine that.

"about someone being firmly committed to something and then having things swept out from under them at the last minute"

You keep saying this Knuckle. It's a 4 month wait. Good lord.

Memorial weekend is about the same distance in time away from today as Sept.1 -Jan 1st..

He would get a free ride and be a Card.

"about someone being firmly committed to something and then having things swept out from under them at the last minute"

You keep saying this Knuckle. It's a 4 month wait. Good lord.

Memorial weekend is about the same distance in time away from today as Sept.1 -Jan 1st..

He would get a free ride and be a Card.
And how exactly is he supposed to know for sure that scholarship would still be there in January? Is he supposed to take the coaches "word" on it?

Scat fans wont coach stoopID to recruit colburn now LMAO

Theyre so hypocritical, it comes out of their ears.
3 threads about Colburn, but none about their TRUE football
team bama doing the same thing.

I dont think they had a thread about bama taking Taylor from
GA, after he was kicked out of school for hitting his GF.
Had a 10 page thread on Fields.

At least theyre taking a break from 8 and 9 win prediction
threads. Oops, spoke to soon.

Love it when guys like Knuckles wanna tell us how to think with half of the information that exists on the subject at hand.

I just wish I was clairvoyant enough to be able to fill in all of the gaps between what I know and what I NEED TO know. Would make the tough issues in life so much simpler to deal with.

ohwell.r191677.gif

Hope things work out for the Colburn kid whatever he decides. IMHO, he needs to suck it up and grayshirt. Perish the thought that he stays in Louisville and in college for five years...

Originally posted by b0ndsj0ns20:

And how exactly is he supposed to know for sure that scholarship would still be there in January? Is he supposed to take the coaches "word" on it?
Anything's possible, I guess ... but I have never heard of any coach rescinding a grey shirt offer.

Part of that is the timing ... if Colburn were to accept a grey shirt offer, he would enroll and begin classes in early January. Signing day of 2016 would be the first Wednesday in February. So UofL's 2016 class would not be so full at that point that UofL couldn't (or wouldn't) honor Colburn's grey shirt opportunity.

"I have never heard of any coach rescinding a grey shirt offer."

Agreed.

Why is this even an issue? This is much ado about nothing. Take the damn gray and get yourself ready. Enjoy the time off, take a class, get a job... whatever. Much worse things in his life IMO will happen than getting to wait a few short months to start a free scholly.

Go Cards!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT