ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching suggestions...

Yep. I got you mixed up with someone else. My apologies. The writing styles are very similar.

No need for name calling though. I made a mistake and I'm man enough to admit it. Are you?
Yes, and i apologize to you for the name calling. I am a huge fan of Petrino and give Jurich the credit for being man enough to hire him back for a second stint. I just want the same hungry Prick that walked through that door the first time around.

Reactions: Cue Card
I just want the same hungry Prick that walked through that door the first time around.
Won't happen.

Too much bad press. Too many eyes watching to say "I told you so".

Bobby1 (personality) is dead and gone, never to be heard from again.

(UNLESS..............he gets a divorce. :eek: Then all bets are off )

Reactions: vegasville1
If it ever comes to a coaching change give me either Brent Venables (defensive coordinator at Clemson) or Bud Foster (defensive coordinator at Virginia Tech).

They’ve both been a part of true big-boy football and they know what it takes to win ACC football games.

Brohm? He’s done nothing. He should have waited for a better job, Purdue is a coaching graveyard. Yes, he got paid, but in three years he’ll be unemployed and uprooting his family once again.

Well we’re not there yet but both of your suggestions are good ones. I agree Brohm’s not there yet. My fear is if it should occur sooner than later Vince will receive pressure from the Brohm people to include the Family if Jeff wants it. Now if it’s several years down the road and he’s doing good things my opinion could change.

Neal Brown, Mike Norvell, Lane Kiffin, Seth Littrell, Dino Babers, I still go after Jeff Brohm, Matt Campbell, Brent Venebles, PJ Fleck, Luke Finkell, Tee Martin, Jason Candle, Tosh Lupoi...
If the majority of this list doesn’t scare people into wanting to keep Petrino - nothing will - lol.

Tee Martin?!? Sweet baby jesus...

If the majority of this list doesn’t scare people into wanting to keep Petrino - nothing will - lol.

Tee Martin?!? Sweet baby jesus...

Obviously not everyone on that list would be my top option but nearly all of them are young, energetic coaches that would reignite the fan base and potentially take the program to the next level and get some stability in place with the assistants.

Petrino's biggest issue is his inability to keep his staff in tact and seemingly his personality switch during this era with the mistakes and lack of attention to detail. Staff is vital because the staff does all the recruiting....

Not going to get into that again, obviously there are the Petrino backers and there are those fed up but if this season ends up the way its trending then there will be more UK fans than UL fans in the stadium in November and that opener against Notre Dame will be a disaster on national tv with the stadium 70% Notre Dame fans.

Last edited:
Obviously not everyone on that list would be my top option but nearly all of them are young, energetic coaches that would reignite the fan base and potentially take the program to the next level and get some stability in place with the assistants.

Petrino's biggest issue is his inability to keep his staff in tact and seemingly his personality switch during this era with the mistakes and lack of attention to detail. Staff is vital because the staff does all the recruiting....

Not going to get into that again, obviously there are the Petrino backers and there are those fed up but if this season ends up the way its trending then there will be more UK fans than UL fans in the stadium in November and that opener against Notre Dame will be a disaster on national tv with the stadium 70% Notre Dame fans.

Its UofL, not UL

Reactions: kentuckyshame
Lol @ some of those names "reigniting the fans"..... The fans don't know who over half those guys on that hilarious list are. Seriously. Tosh .0????? A great position coach at Bama but I dunno, do you think UofL fans know who he is? LB coach to HC???? Are you his agent?
A former UK guy that ran his mouth about UofL Neal Brown.....Come on man. It's ok to be unhappy but stretching big time with the impact of bringing in a guy named Candle nobody has heard of today. How many Card fans know the HC at Toledo and/or would be fired up about him prior to hiring him???? Not the majority oh my.

Eky When you say ignite do you mean set the stadium on fire?

Last edited:
Lol @ some of those names "reigniting the fans"..... The fans don't know who over half those guys on that hilarious list are. Seriously. Tosh .0????? A great position coach at Bama but I dunno, do you think UofL fans know who he is? LB coach to HC???? Are you his agent?
A former UK guy that ran his mouth about UofL Neal Brown.....Come on man. It's ok to be unhappy but stretching big time with the impact of bringing in a guy named Candle nobody has heard of today. How many Card fans know the HC at Toledo and/or would be fired up about him prior to hiring him???? Not the majority oh my.

Eky When you say ignite do you mean set the stadium on fire?

Its like you went out of your way to ignore all the good candidates that I did drop. As I said, obviously not every one on that list would be considered a "homerun" hire...

This discussion is a moot point and all it does is pit fans against one another because Petrino isn't going to be fired no matter what his record is at the end of the year, Jurich's extension made sure of that.

I hope I'm wrong. I want Bobby to succeed....I'm just seeing problem after problem and they never get fixed. We're in year 5 and 2 years away from having a freaking Heisman winner and we're still complaining about recruiting and all the same issues we saw in year 1. Again...that's neither here nor there. I hope Petrino figures this out and rights this ship, my only point was that I've seen nothing that would make me think he's all the sudden going to do that.

Last edited:
Its like you went out of your way to ignore all the good candidates that I did drop. As I said, obviously not every one on that list would be considered a "homerun" hire...

Wait. I applaud you having the pills to put together a potential hire list. You stuck to thread topic it was a great post.

That said, if you're going to list them, why get annoyed if a few are pointed out as potentially lame?

I honestly did not see a HR hire in your list. Maybe the consensus would be Venables there.

I have no doubt they could all be worthy of "moving up" the chain, I just question the HR talk and I question fan excitement on most on your list.

I also, as before, question the expectation and likelihood that any of those can pull the Star Trek and take the program to heights never seen. But, I could see them putting the program in a worse case.

Who were your HR hires again?

I can see how 7 loss or is it 9 loss Brohm would be more appealing

Brohm came into the season 37-18.
Competition was nowhere near the same, however neither is his roster or ranking in comparison to Louisville.
He also is in his 5th year, not 15th as a head coach.

Like it or not Brohm WILL BE THE NEXT COACH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE.

Reactions: EKYCard643
If Petrino 2.0 is going to average 9 wins from here on out, he can have the job until 2050.

So the Cards wont reach the playoffs until possibly 2051.
Got it.

I can accept average to medicore to the occasional excitement but no playoff appearance for
33 years. o_O

I can see how 7 loss or is it 9 loss Brohm would be more appealing

Brohm came into the season 37-18.
Competition was nowhere near the same, however neither is his roster or ranking in comparison to Louisville.
He also is in his 5th year, not 15th as a head coach.

Like it or not Brohm WILL BE THE NEXT COACH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE.

Lol are you Vince? If he was to be hired at the end of this season we would continue to spiral down. Brohm might be the guy but he’s proven nothing at the same level. So he was successful at WKU. That proves he’s a good CUSA coach. I don’t understand ordaining someone because he attended school here. If in a couple of years he’s turned Purdue around I be on the Jeff Brohm bandwagon but until he proves his name means nothing.

And your assuming Bobby’s going somewhere, which he will not do until after next year. Which means Brohm will get one more to prove himself.

Point out why you think he would be successful. If he continues losing at Purdue he’ll bring zero recruiting power. And without that he will fail.

Brohm has the same problem as Bobby. His teacher.

He’s never shown an interest in developing a defense.

He does seem to have the “fire” that Bobby’s lost. But I don’t think that’s enough. There’s more to FB than scoring.

Reactions: BPGhost
Coaching is recruiting in college football.

Granted there are those coaches who can recruit and can't coach but its no coincidence that the best programs are those that recruit the best players.

Get a coach who can recruit, that kids want to play for and one that prides himself on attention to detail, scheme and doing the little things. You're not going to win at a place like Louisville with inferior talent AND you consistently rank in the bottom 20% in turnovers and penalties. Talent can overcome mistakes...when you don't have talent and you consistently make mistakes - you lose.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Lol are you Vince? If he was to be hired at the end of this season we would continue to spiral down. Brohm might be the guy but he’s proven nothing at the same level. So he was successful at WKU. That proves he’s a good CUSA coach. I don’t understand ordaining someone because he attended school here. If in a couple of years he’s turned Purdue around I be on the Jeff Brohm bandwagon but until he proves his name means nothing.

And your assuming Bobby’s going somewhere, which he will not do until after next year. Which means Brohm will get one more to prove himself.

Point out why you think he would be successful. If he continues losing at Purdue he’ll bring zero recruiting power. And without that he will fail.

Quit being coy.
He wont turn Purdue into a playoff team, but he could/should turn them into
a bowl team.

You know he was on 41-9 staff his whole 4 years.
After Petrino lied and scurried away Brohm was AHC 2 yrs before being
scapegoated by Jurich and fired.

And who was his AHC his(Petrino ) one yr at WKU ?

Petrino was hired to be HC despite having ZERO HC experience.
Brohm is on yr 5 as a HC.

He played under Coach Schnellenberger.
Coached under Petrino, but now he is mud in youll's eyes. Bizarre.

The Cards need a fired up, HC with a pulse to take them to the next level.
Unless Petrino is sandbagging this year for 2019, its time for him to go.

Struggling against Indiana st and WKU at home is unacceptable.

Quit being coy.
He wont turn Purdue into a playoff team, but he could/should turn them into
a bowl team.

You know he was on 41-9 staff his whole 4 years.
After Petrino lied and scurried away Brohm was AHC 2 yrs before being
scapegoated by Jurich and fired.

And who was his AHC his(Petrino ) one yr at WKU ?

Petrino was hired to be HC despite having ZERO HC experience.
Brohm is on yr 5 as a HC.

He played under Coach Schnellenberger.
Coached under Petrino, but now he is mud in youll's eyes. Bizarre.

The Cards need a fired up, HC with a pulse to take them to the next level.
Unless Petrino is sandbagging this year for 2019, its time for him to go.

Struggling against Indiana st and WKU at home is unacceptable.

1. I don’t expect Brohm to win championships at Purdue, but I do expect a winning season or two. That would be a prerequisite for any other coach not named Brohm. The world is full of should’ve and could’ve. Petrino case in point.

2. There are hundreds of coaches that have been in winning staffs that haven’t turned out to be the real deal.

3. Okay he was Petrino’s assistant head coach. A good thing to have on his resume’.

4. He played for CHS another feather in his cap. And he’s not mud in my mind. I like Brohm but we must make a home run hire. If he’s the guy so be it.

5. He’s been a head coach for 5 years. Another feather in his cap and he was very successful at WKU, but he has yet to prove himself at the P5 level. If he’s as good as you believe ( And I’m not saying he’s not) I just want to see if can be successful at Purdue. At the P5 level. And I think he will.

6. I agree that Brohm has fire and you’re correct we need fire, lots of it. And I agree that Bobby seems to have lost it.

7. Sand bagging. No Bobby’s not sand bagging but most people understood this was a building year and next year is when we have the pieces in place. What most are upset about is that we’re not preforming to the level we expected this year. I don’t think anyone with half a brain thought we were going to compete for the ACC this year. Now if we finish 5-7 or worse Vince needs to seriously review CBP status, but a move to Brohm after this year is to soon.

Brohm had moment when he departed WKU right now it’s slowed a little waiting to see how successful he becomes. Had he not lost to Eastern Michigan his other loses aren’t horrible, but Eastern Michigan was a really bad loss. Let’s wait and see how Purdue does for the remainder of the season.

I think at this point it’s to soon to determine Bobby’s or Brohm’s future.

So are disagreement is more with timing than the individual; if he proves to be as good as we both think he can be then I’m all for Brohm. We need him to be a hot hire for recruiting purposes.

And I’m not sure he would depart Purdue after his second year he would after his third.

He's averging 8.5 and they are making that argument right now.
It’s because “they” don’t understand that there are only 21 different teams (18 from South of Tennessee BTW-you know. Those fertile recruiting grounds ) won the last 30 NC’s, and that we’re just one of the other 40+ P5 schools trying. Many of which are closer to fertile recruiting grounds than us.

The odds of us doing it now are longer than ever. We missed our best shot at Rutgers. Now we have a much tougher schedule.

I’ll bet Bobby thinks of that daily. :mad:

He does seem to have the “fire” that Bobby’s lost. But I don’t think that’s enough. There’s more to FB than scoring.
He's also shown some of the same propensity to hire family and or only guys that he's worked with before. Certainly not to the same level that Petrino has and of course, everybody wants to work with people that they are comfortable with but, that doesn't usually build the strongest organizations.

Two things that he has going for him are: being considered a "hot / innovative / on the rise" coach and, not having baggage or a rep that he's unpleasant to work for. Both of those will attract other talented coaches as (if?) he moves up the chain. Rollem is right though - if JB wants to be a big time coach at a P5 school, he'd better find a DC that meshes with both him and his offense.

It’s because “they” don’t understand that there are only 21 different teams (18 from South of Tennessee BTW-you know. Those fertile recruiting grounds ) won the last 30 NC’s, and that we’re just one of the other 40+ P5 schools trying. Many of which are closer to fertile recruiting grounds than us.

The odds of us doing it now are longer than ever. We missed our best shot at Rutgers. Now we have a much tougher schedule.

I’ll bet Bobby thinks of that daily. :mad:

Giving the boys a li'l geography lesson!

Brohm or bust.

Just keep 9 win Petrino if youre not going hire Jeff.
Is that zero-win Brohm? How many family members is he bringing along?
So the Cards wont reach the playoffs until possibly 2051.
Got it.

I can accept average to medicore to the occasional excitement but no playoff appearance for
33 years. o_O
Some people don't know what "medicore" is. It ain't 8-9 wins a season in a P5 conference. Ask the slapd!cks...

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsFirst

Jeff will be fine hopefully.

These threads are a lot more about stupid fans than bad coaches...

Reactions: CardsFirst
These threads are a lot more about stupid fans than bad coaches...
The word is fanatic. The fans aren't stupid, we are just fanatical.

synonyms: zealous, extremist, extreme, militant, dogmatic, radical, diehard. intolerant, single-minded, blinkered, inflexible, uncompromising, hardcore. :p

Just some data that better breaks down Petrino 2.0s record instead of simply quoting an out of context win/loss record.

Best wins
- FSU - 2016 - 10-3
- Notre Dame 2014 - 8-5
- NC State 2014 - 8-5
- TAMU 2015 - 8-5

Petrino's record vs gimme teams = 8-0
Petrino's record vs teams with a winning record = 12-17
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with a losing record - 15-1
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 8+ wins - 4-14

(# of wins represents the # of wins they ended the season with)
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 2 wins = 1-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 3 wins = 6-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 4 wins = 5-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 5 wins = 2-1
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 6 wins = 1-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 7 wins = 8-3
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 8 wins = 3-3
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 9 wins = 0-3
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 10+ wins = 1-9

What this shows is that he really only has one "bad" loss. UVA in 2014. Losing to UK in 2016 was embarrassing but at least that team went to a bowl. Obviously the concerning aspect is the 4-15 record vs teams with 8+ wins and the fact that his teams are allowing over 40 points and losing by more than 2 touchdowns to ranked opponents.

Last edited:
No, not if we don’t win at least the ACC division title and UK is one of those losses.

You’re certainly welcome to your opinion ... just realize the statistics of winning 9 games on average. If Petrino is winning 70% of his games, he’s beating UK on a regular basis and winning the ACC division occasionally too.

Reactions: zipp
Just some data that better breaks down Petrino 2.0s record instead of simply quoting an out of context win/loss record.

Best wins
- FSU - 2016 - 10-3
- Notre Dame 2014 - 8-5
- NC State 2014 - 8-5
- TAMU 2015 - 8-5

Petrino's record vs gimme teams = 8-0
Petrino's record vs teams with a winning record = 12-17
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with a losing record - 15-1
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 8+ wins - 4-14

(# of wins represents the # of wins they ended the season with)
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 2 wins = 1-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 3 wins = 6-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 4 wins = 5-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 5 wins = 2-1
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 6 wins = 1-0
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 7 wins = 8-3
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 8 wins = 3-3
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 9 wins = 0-3
Petrino's record vs P5 teams with 10+ wins = 1-9

What this shows is that he really only has one "bad" loss. UVA in 2014. Losing to UK in 2016 was embarrassing but at least that team went to a bowl. Obviously the concerning aspect is the 3-15 record vs teams with 8+ wins and the fact that his teams are allowing over 40 points and losing by more than 2 touchdowns to ranked opponents.

Raw, unfiltered data. Excellent job EK

Go ahead and spin this zipp.........

Says the guy who daily hates on the Athletic Director.
I don't hate anyone. I just like pointing out stuff like this.

(BTW, I'm just going back a month...)

LINK

LINK

Two%20slapdcks_zpsnzawskih.jpg

Just some data that better breaks down Petrino 2.0s record instead of simply quoting an out of context win/loss record...
You mean "out of context" like the most important games on your schedule? Next to the national championship, there's no higher goal each season than winning your conference. And that first goal depends on the second.

You're cherry picking info to fit your narrative...

You mean "out of context" like the most important games on your schedule? Next to the national championship, there's no higher goal each season than winning your conference. And that first goal depends on the second.

You're cherry picking info to fit your narrative...

I literally showed every game he's coached. I can't cherry pick any less than that. His record in the ACC is 21-11. His record vs ACC opponents that finished with 7+ wins is 9-10.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
You’re certainly welcome to your opinion ... just realize the statistics of winning 9 games on average. If Petrino is winning 70% of his games, he’s beating UK on a regular basis and winning the ACC division occasionally too.
I wouldn’t say that’s true. He has been averaging 9 wins. How many ACC division championships we got plus we lost to UK. Shouldn’t lose to them ever and don’t give me shit about super bowl.
P.S. that’s why stats are misleading.

I wouldn’t say that’s true. He has been averaging 9 wins. How many ACC division championships we got plus we lost to UK. Shouldn’t lose to them ever and don’t give me shit about super bowl.
P.S. that’s why stats are misleading.

Small sample size. If one of your requirements is to never lose to UK, then you’re going to have a coaching carousel and a losing program.

Over time, a 9 win per year average will result in a few conference and/or division titles. Yes, it hasn’t so far, but it’s only been 4 years in stint 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT