ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching suggestions...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
If it ever comes to a coaching change give me either Brent Venables (defensive coordinator at Clemson) or Bud Foster (defensive coordinator at Virginia Tech).

They’ve both been a part of true big-boy football and they know what it takes to win ACC football games.

Brohm? He’s done nothing. He should have waited for a better job, Purdue is a coaching graveyard. Yes, he got paid, but in three years he’ll be unemployed and uprooting his family once again.

Venables won't be cheap nor do I think he would leave Clemson for the Cards. Foster won't be cheap either, but cheaper than Venables,

Jeff Brohm would jump at the chance to come back home. I agree he hasn't done anything yet and he might not. Too early to tell.

Petrino is under contract until 2023. I doubt he's going to just walk away empty handed. If he gets fired, he'll still get paid.

Reactions: American Male
I think Cards fans could be disappointed in the list of candidates should the job become open.

Totally disagree. I’m not ready to make a change but I believe you, and others, just might be surprised at the “list” of interested candidates for our job. First, we have incredible facilities across the board. Second, we’ve proven we’ll pay good salaries. Third, we have a good fan base. And we also are a member in good standing in a great P5 conference.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Totally disagree. I’m not ready to make a change but I believe you, and others, just might be surprised at the “list” of interested candidates for our job. First, we have incredible facilities across the board. Second, we’ve proven we’ll pay good salaries. Third, we have a good fan base. And we also are a member in good standing in a great P5 conference.

1) Agree on facilities
2) If he's terminated they still have to pay him lots not sure how much $ they would have for the next hire. I can't see him quitting but got to admit I don't know how he's wired.
3) Not sure about the fans. Many leave before the game is over and still in doubt. Many aren't in their seats for the kickoff.
4) We are in a P5 - good point.

Two questions for you.

Who were the candidates after Strong I don't remember?
Who is on the "list" you refer too?

1) Agree on facilities
2) If he's terminated they still have to pay him lots not sure how much $ they would have for the next hire. I can't see him quitting but got to admit I don't know how he's wired.
3) Not sure about the fans. Many leave before the game is over and still in doubt. Many aren't in their seats for the kickoff.

Two questions for you.

I too am not sure who the “other” candidates might have been.

1) Agree on facilities

Two questions for you.

I think the main name - besides Petrino - on the post Strong list was Pat Narduzzi.

Venables won't be cheap nor do I think he would leave Clemson for the Cards. Foster won't be cheap either, but cheaper than Venables,

Jeff Brohm would jump at the chance to come back home. I agree he hasn't done anything yet and he might not. Too early to tell.

Petrino is under contract until 2023. I doubt he's going to just walk away empty handed. If he gets fired, he'll still get paid.
They’re both assistants and the majority of assistants (especially at their level) wants a shot at their own program and path. I think either guy is very attainable.

First thing I do if I am Vince Tyra is sit down with Petrino and have a little fireside chat about realistic ideas to get back to Petrino football. This is clearly not working and we know Petrino has the capability to be a great coach. The issue now is does he want to be one or is he happy with the crap product he is now putting on the field? If he wants to stay on the same course then a responsible AD needs to start making other plans. Who that involves I have no idea at this point.

Reactions: wilkie01
If it ever comes to a coaching change give me either Brent Venables (defensive coordinator at Clemson) or Bud Foster (defensive coordinator at Virginia Tech).

They’ve both been a part of true big-boy football and they know what it takes to win ACC football games.

Brohm? He’s done nothing. He should have waited for a better job, Purdue is a coaching graveyard. Yes, he got paid, but in three years he’ll be unemployed and uprooting his family once again.
Bud Foster has been approached for a lot of jobs and never left VT. When he was still a linebackers coach he was being courted for some high major DC jobs and stayed there. I’m not sure what it would take to get him to leave but I know getting him wouldn’t be easy at all.

Venables would probably be tough as well. He reminds me of Kirby Smart in that Kirby was a hot name every single year for coaching jobs. Everyone wants him so he knows that he can hold out for the perfect job to open up. Smart was able to go straight from a coordinator to HC at UGA and going to the playoffs. Venables could probably land a similar gig if he holds out long enough

Stay the hell away from Cincinnati's head coach Luke Fickell.

Luke+Fickell+Austin+Peay+v+Cincinnati+xAsKP6KJfWBl.jpg

Just so we are clear, Petrino is not going anywhere after this season. His buyout is too high and the staff has been pointing to 2019 for awhile. I hope that Petrino doesn’t change DC’s but takes a long look at his other assistants. I think we need some continuity at DC especially given our youth on that side of the ball. The problem is if this season goes off the rails it will be difficult to pull in quality position coaches because they’ll not want to jump on a sinking ship.

Things have changed a lot regarding money and how much we can pay coaches. Everybody knows that Jurich bought in a lot of money so paying big money for good coaches wasn’t a problem. Since Jurich is gone we aren’t brining in the same kind of money so our coaching options won’t be the same. When Jurich replaced Strong we hired Petrino pretty quick so there really wasn’t a list of candidates.

Reactions: zipp

Defensive minded coaches aren’t fan appealing. Our fan base needs points and an exciting offense. Charlie ball was boring. Effective, yes, especially since Teddy was running the offense, but butts in seats it did not bring.

These 2 dudes are most likely great coordinators and not head coaches - not sure I’ve ever seen them tapped on the shoulder for any vacant head coaching positions. As for Brohm he’s not ready and why put our eggs in the Brohm basket if there are better candidates out there (if and when that time comes)- It’s great that The Brohms have a legacy at Louisville but that shouldn’t entitle them the keys to the kingdom just because of family ties - I think we see how nepotism is playing out with our current regime.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I would need someone with knowledge of contract law to double check and go over the specifics of this. Petrino's contract runs through 2023 after Jurich gave him that completely unnecessary and out of the blue contract extension in 2016. So he's owed 5 years of pay which would come to roughly $10 million dollars I think. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Sadly, I'm not sure when UL would be able to realistically get rid of him without negotiating a buy-out which isn't likely to occur or be done cheaply due to how entrenched Petrino and his family is in the city. I would guess-timate that the buyout probably goes down by around 2 million each year.Sadly I think it would have to drop to around $4 million before they would consider it.

Having said all of that....I have a long list of realistic guys I would consider to replace Petrino immediately if it were possible.

Neal Brown, Mike Norvell, Lane Kiffin, Seth Littrell, Dino Babers, I still go after Jeff Brohm, Matt Campbell, Brent Venebles, PJ Fleck, Luke Finkell, Tee Martin, Jason Candle, Tosh Lupoi...

I have said it since he's been back, he is missing the 2nd part of the overall equation.....PAUL PETRINO. Those two worked well together and some of the things that Bobby wasn't seeing, Paul picked up. Plus he is intense, which I think we are severely lakcing.

I don't understand the theory on why folks think next year will be a big step forward, especially now that we have seen a few games of what our current roster entails. Next year you have ND, @MIami, year 2 of Taggart @FSU, and our annual loss to Clemson. BC, NC St, and few others will still be at least coin flips, so either I am undervaluing our team or overvaluing what appears to be a pretty strong lineup.

Reactions: American Male
Criticize this thought all you want ... but after 50 years with exactly one head football coach staying at UofL for longer than 5 years, I want continuity and success more than anything.

Building a successful program is the most important thing to me, so as long as Petrino is putting together winning seasons on a consistent basis that competes for and has a reasonable chance to win an ACC title, I don’t want to see him replaced anytime before his 10th season in stint #2.

Count me out for the coaching carousel we’ve been on since 1994, and that we were on from 1969 until 1985.

They’re both assistants and the majority of assistants (especially at their level) wants a shot at their own program and path. I think either guy is very attainable.
Best thing for us is.....CBP lets BVG recruit, practice the way he wants, let this young defense mature, get the kinks out of the offense, and keep getting better this year and be real good next year.

And keep doing it. ;)

But just to be devil's advocate:
The key word here is "majority". I think it's a fact that some people know their limitations. They find something they are GREAT at...and stick to it. They either don't want the administrative hassle, or the backslapping and handshaking that come with the HC job, or maybe they're just smart enough to not get in "over their head". They "do chicken right" (you youngsters need to look that up :p )

Neither guy you mentioned is getting any younger (Foster is 59), and they've not tried it yet.

I don't know if I want another coordinator SHOULD WE NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE. (Not calling for anybody's head. Yet). Charlie didn't know he had what should have been a Heisman candidate at QB, and we bitched constantly about the offense. Ironically, after 8-9 years as a HEAD coach he has an offense to match his D.

Bobby was an OC who came in to a loaded JLS team and was successful enough to bail on us. He still had no defense at Arkansas. He has NEVER concerned himself with defense. He may never.

I'd like to get a HC who has been successful with O and D. Well rounded. Yes, we tried that and got Krags. :eek:

Ain't nothing dead solid perfect :p

I have said it since he's been back, he is missing the 2nd part of the overall equation.....PAUL PETRINO. Those two worked well together and some of the things that Bobby wasn't seeing, Paul picked up. Plus he is intense, which I think we are severely lakcing.

I don't understand the theory on why folks think next year will be a big step forward, especially now that we have seen a few games of what our current roster entails. Next year you have ND, @MIami, year 2 of Taggart @FSU, and our annual loss to Clemson. BC, NC St, and few others will still be at least coin flips, so either I am undervaluing our team or overvaluing what appears to be a pretty strong lineup.

I keep seeing people point to this as well, but without even looking at the roster....what has Bobby done in his 4.5 years here that would lead anyone to think that this team will take a step forward next year regardless of schedule or roster?

We are saying the same thing, I don't understand why folks are referencing to the build-up to next year. I think it could be as bad or worse than this year.....

And just to preface my last statement, I still think we can right the ship, I could care less about the FPI ESPN *&^%$*& saying we will be 3-9. My guess was somewhere between 5-7 and 8-4 weeks before the season started ( several previous posts). I am probably on the lower end of that now, but thats why they play the games.

Lets go beat VA on Saturday and go from there!

Reactions: Cue Card
Lets go beat VA on Saturday and go from there!
It won't be easy just because the sharks are smelling blood. Puma Pass is doubting his abilty to lead the team. The defense is doubting the run defense. The receivers are doubting their ability to catch the ball. The fans (generally speaking) are doubting Petrino's heart and desire to coach.

Hopefully (yes I am the eternal optimist) the team goes to Virginia with a serious chip on their shoulder. I would love to see a pissed off team with a pissed off coach taking it out on an overwhelmed UVA team.

GO CARDS!!!

It won't be easy just because the sharks are smelling blood. Puma Pass is doubting his abilty to lead the team. The defense is doubting the run defense. The receivers are doubting their ability to catch the ball. The fans (generally speaking) are doubting Petrino's heart and desire to coach.

Hopefully (yes I am the eternal optimist) the team goes to Virginia with a serious chip on their shoulder. I would love to see a pissed off team with a pissed off coach taking it out on an overwhelmed UVA team.

GO CARDS!!!
Unfortunately, I dont think our coach gets pissed off much anymore. He looks more like mr Rodgers in his interviews as of late rather than the pissed off prick that was here during his first stint. I'd rather have the prick.

Unfortunately, I dont think our coach gets pissed off much anymore. He looks more like mr Rodgers in his interviews as of late rather than the pissed off prick that was here during his first stint. I'd rather have the prick.
Again, my apologies. I made a mistake and I am editing this response out of respect for my fellow UofL fans.

Last edited:
I know your stance. You've been a consistent broken record. May I make a friendly suggestion? Keep it to yourself from now on if the message is to remain the same. We all get it. We know how you feel. Stating it over and over and over and over and over again does nothing but alienate the few who actually try to discuss college football here. We get it. We understand. You've been very clear about how you feel. You hate the coach and want a change no matter what. We understand. We get it. We really get it. Message received. Loud and clear. We GET IT. Did I mention we get it? Yes. We understand.

Now please. Stop.
Wrong person dumb ass..I rarely ever say anything negative regarding Petrino.

Best thing for us is.....CBP lets BVG recruit, practice the way he wants, let this young defense mature, get the kinks out of the offense, and keep getting better this year and be real good next year.

And keep doing it. ;)

This. The majority of the starting 22 are freshman and sophomores. Going into the season with all the question marks/youth I was looking at a 6-6 kind of year with some shitty bowl to go to, but the team playing much better by year's end than at the beginning.

This. The majority of the starting 22 are freshman and sophomores. Going into the season with all the question marks/youth I was looking at a 6-6 kind of year with some shitty bowl to go to, but the team playing much better by year's end than at the beginning.
I was hoping for 8 wins, but it now looks more like 5, 6, or 7 at best. The only way this team plays better at year's end is if they stop dropping like flies from injury. We've had a ton of injuries in just 3 games. If we can get healthy and improved, I'll be content to call this a bridge year.

First thing I do if I am Vince Tyra is sit down with Petrino and have a little fireside chat about realistic ideas to get back to Petrino football. This is clearly not working and we know Petrino has the capability to be a great coach. The issue now is does he want to be one or is he happy with the crap product he is now putting on the field? If he wants to stay on the same course then a responsible AD needs to start making other plans. Who that involves I have no idea at this point.

You cannot just fire someone immediately. You have to follow these six step sequence. Here are a few things to keep in mind before you get to the firing step:

1. Write down everything: Documentation is key. If you don’t write something down, it can be argued that it didn’t happen. Even informal conversations written in a notebook can be helpful and count toward documentation.

2. Clearly communicate expectations and goals. Also the required timeline to get her done!

3. Be a good coach: This is informal feedback and consists of what’s right as well as what’s wrong. Your employees need this feedback to understand how they are doing well before you get to the point of considering disciplinary action or termination.

4. Initiate a performance improvement plan (PIP): So, let’s say you’ve provided ongoing coaching, but you’re seeing some major concerns with performance that the coaching hasn’t affected. This would be a good time to develop a performance improvement plan (PIP). Articulating specifically what the problem areas are and give detailed goals for what is expected to correct it. In some cases, a verbal counseling might be the better way to go. Use this in addressing things like, attendance, communication and other behavioral issues.

5. Conduct a written counseling: If things are getting really egregious, you may need to move to a written counseling. A written counseling is somewhat similar to the PIP. It should outline areas that employees need to correct. Again, in writing, detail specifically what needs to improve and how this should be accomplished. The counseling form should also express that improvement needs to be immediate, marked (noticeable) and sustained. Employees should sign this form after you’ve discussed it with them. This doesn’t mean they have to agree with what you’ve documented. Their signature simply indicates that they have received the counseling.

6. When all else fails, terminate employment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cue Card
CBP will be given three poor seasons (5w's or less) before the cord is pulled...I get it, message boards are rife with next up talk and it's just banter...how we long for the days when we had to worry he would leave.

CBP will be given three poor seasons (5w's or less) before the cord is pulled...I get it, message boards are rife with next up talk and it's just banter...how we long for the days when we had to worry he would leave.

And that will be because attendance is down to about 25,000 and a huge drop in donations! People will boycott, if the current circus is allowed to continue for three more years!

And Jurich should have never did this.
Zipp will be jumping on this in 3, 2, 1....
You mean because another poster says so?...LOL.

The notion of the guy on the right hiring Petrino's replacement with the money he's willing to spend should scare the hell outta any rational person. Unless you're OK with the other guy giving him a hand. And you'll have to let the right guy know which U of L bank account he can plunder for Petrino's buyout money.

Funny stuff...

Two%20slapdcks_zpsnzawskih.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT