ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Walz dissed

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Reading a story online about Tom Izzo not liking the possible new transfer rule there was one of those sideshow lists that was related to the article. It was the top 25 college coaches men and women's game. From something called Yardbarker.

Chris Mack was #15 and John Calipari #4 which is a joke in itself but Jeff Walz was not in the top 25. Dawn Staley is #22, Vivian Stringer is #18, Muffet McGraw is #11, Tara Vanderveer is #9, Kim Mulkey is #7 and of course Geno is #2.

Talk about being disrespected. I see zero reason for him to be excluded from this list. It's truly remarkable.

Reading a story online about Tom Izzo not liking the possible new transfer rule there was one of those sideshow lists that was related to the article. It was the top 25 college coaches men and women's game. From something called Yardbarker.

Chris Mack was #15 and John Calipari #4 which is a joke in itself but Jeff Walz was not in the top 25. Dawn Staley is #22, Vivian Stringer is #18, Muffet McGraw is #11, Tara Vanderveer is #9, Kim Mulkey is #7 and of course Geno is #2.

Talk about being disrespected. I see zero reason for him to be excluded from this list. It's truly remarkable.
I think all of the women's coaches ranked on that list have won an NCAA title with the exception of Vivian Stringer. She is now closing out a great career at Rutgers. Win a title and Jeff is on that list. ;)

Peace

Well if a national title gets you on the list how is Chris Mack on it? Don't get me wrong I love what Mack has done so far but compared to Jeff Walz's career it's not as successful. There is simply no reason except for bias that Walz is not in that top 25.

Reactions: CardsFirst
If the zebras would call an obvious foul with 2 seconds left, Waltz would have a title... LOL But who cares about those kinds of rankings. It's always been noted that women's basketball is by far the most "Member's Only" type setting in all of sports when it comes to media... But the recruits clearly see what Jeff has done, and that's all the love we need. The Yum will be hoisting banners for the ladies soon... The only variable is time....

If the zebras would call an obvious foul with 2 seconds left, Waltz would have a title... LOL But who cares about those kinds of rankings. It's always been noted that women's basketball is by far the most "Member's Only" type setting in all of sports when it comes to media... But the recruits clearly see what Jeff has done, and that's all the love we need. The Yum will be hoisting banners for the ladies soon... The only variable is time....

I could disagree with just about every sentence in your reply, Matt, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. BTW, It is "Walz", not "Waltz", and I have no idea where the "member's only" reference comes from.

Be well.

--sonja--

Using that list Coach Walz is not in the top six of head coaches in women's basketball. That's ridiculous as it gets. I think he should be at least the 4th best coach in the women's game.

I think Matt’s opinion is that we got hosed against Ms St by the refs. Let’s be honest - a random tech against Sam and then the blatant no call at the end. Would UofL have won the title that year? Who knows.
Members Only reference. I agree somewhat with what he is referencing. The WBB game seems to have its favs as coaches go. I think those in the game respect him a lot. Those in the media have their darlings and they lean toward them.

Does anyone think Coach Dan McDonnell of the Cards baseball team would not be in the top 6 baseball coaches? He hasn't won the world series yet.

Coach Walz has made the women's hoops team a title contender for a decade now and he's not a top 6 coach? It's absurd.

In Coach Walz's 13 seasons at UofL he has three final 4's and two national runner up. He's 359 wins and 104 losses. Has been in the NCAA tournament in 12 of 13 seasons and since the Cards joined the ACC he has averaged 29 wins a season.

There is no reasonable explanation for his omition in that list of college coaches. It's straight up bias. It has to be.

In Coach Walz's 13 seasons at UofL he has three final 4's and two national runner up. He's 359 wins and 104 losses. Has been in the NCAA tournament in 12 of 13 seasons and since the Cards joined the ACC he has averaged 29 wins a season.

There is no reasonable explanation for his omition in that list of college coaches. It's straight up bias. It has to be.

If it's not bias, it's error. I fully admit I follow the Cardinals, but I don't keep up with all of women's basketball. That said, other than perhaps Staley, there isn't a hotter coach right now than Walz. No titles, sure, but twice the national runner up, along with three Final Fours, regular season and conference tournament championships, recruiting is off the charts, and it still feels like he's just getting started. Not top 20? Hell, he's top 5 at a minimum.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I could disagree with just about every sentence in your reply, Matt, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. BTW, It is "Walz", not "Waltz", and I have no idea where the "member's only" reference comes from.

Be well.

--sonja--
It's been said many times by people who do sports for a living... But thanks for giving me the right to agree with sports professionals and forgiving my poor spelling... Kind of a hard time for my family right now... just a little distracted...

OK, I give. If Gino is #2 who is #1 ???

I agree Coach Walz is one of the top coaches in the country and that is why the top programs in the country keep reaching out to him. I also agree there is a lot of bias out there. The Louisville vs Baylor game proved that to me. We won the game but the refs were pretty biased.
I remember CJW getting up and questioning a call in that game and the ref T’ed him up. Then I remember the Baylor coach Kim Mulkey running up the sideline screaming taking her jacket off and throwing on the court and there was no call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT