ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson does it again.

Crazy day already with Baylor and FSU both losing. We're still alive for an outright conference regular season championship!

No it isn’t. FSU still has us on tiebreaker. We need them to lose again and we need to win out.

if us, duke, and FSU all end up with 4 conf losses wouldn’t it be a 3 way tie? duke beat FSU, we beat duke, fsu beat us. Will the acc consider FSU’s second win against us the tiebreaker?

if us, duke, and FSU all end up with 4 conf losses wouldn’t it be a 3 way tie? duke beat FSU, we beat duke, fsu beat us. Will the acc consider FSU’s second win against us the tiebreaker?
Pretty sure they'll just go with the team that is ranked higher if it turns out to be a 3 way tie.

Reactions: nccardfan
Pretty sure they'll just go with the team that is ranked higher if it turns out to be a 3 way tie.

From https://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/15/MBB_1215171609.aspx

c. If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedure will be used:
1) The combined record in conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken and seeds assigned based on the winning
percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is
unequal (e.g., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).
2) If procedure (1) fails to break the tie, then each tied team’s record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season
standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage.
3) If the tie is broken by (1) or (2) regarding one or more teams, but three or more teams remain tied, then procedures (1) and (2) will be re-applied among those tied teams only.
4) If two teams remain tied, procedures (a) and (b) will be followed.

I believe we would win that 3 way tiebreaker if that's how it works, due to the conference record of the opponents we played twice. But right now it's just us and FSU and 1st place goes to them

But a lot can still change with 2 games left. Duke has lost 3of 4. We've lost 3of5. UVA is playing the best right now. If FSU drops one more, UVA might be playing us for their share of the title. Big 2 games coming

I believe that if don’t lose any of our last two games and FSU does the same we end in a tie with them and share the conference championship. They earn the #1 seed in the ACC tourney and we get the second seed. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe we would win that 3 way tiebreaker if that's how it works, due to the conference record of the opponents we played twice. But right now it's just us and FSU and 1st place goes to them

In a three-way tie, it’s a comparison of records against the teams you tied with.

Louisville 1-2
Duke 1-1
FSU 2-1

You are right Sec.12, it is just between the tied teams. My brain went down a different path. Thanks.

Duke now has 5 conference losses (tied with Virginia). There’s actually the possibility for a 4-way tie for first at 15-5 between FSU, Virginia, Louisville and Duke.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT