ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus bowl and next season

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
I think this game will give is a good idea of how next year's team should look. Hoping we can launch into 2017 with momentum for next year's season with a W over LSU. I think next year's team could potentially be as good as this year's or better. The big question is defense. Will we develop the second group and will we lose a lot of juniors? What does everybody think of this game, and how do you think next season plays out? Personally I am optimistic about next season, but I think this match up against LSU does not really play to our strengths other than our run defense. I'm predicting a close loss against LSU 27-24, but I think we pick it up next year with a 10-2 record because of all that we return on offense and I have a feeling we don't lose too many juniors. Losing to fsu on the road and one other ACC game either Clemson or UNC. I think we will be in a lot of shootouts though. Whatchya got?

Reactions: Law007
I think we're better next year. Typically, skill positions are easy to replace, and line positions are difficult to replace and they take more time.

We will be replacing mostly skill positions with our lines staying in tact. Plus we add Young from his redshirt to D line. I like the way the season sets up next year. Not to mention a more polished, confident and mature L Jackson is the CFB ultimate weapon. Next year could be special.

Oh, and I bet we lose the Citrus Bowl in a close one. Insignificant to next year's success.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I think we're better next year. Typically, skill positions are easy to replace, and line positions are difficult to replace and they take more time.

We will be replacing mostly skill positions with our lines staying in tact. Plus we add Young from his redshirt to D line. I like the way the season sets up next year. Not to mention a more polished, confident and mature L Jackson is the CFB ultimate weapon. Next year could be special.

Oh, and I bet we lose the Citrus Bowl in a close one. Insignificant to next year's success.
We have to replace our entire interior Oline plus the big man in the middle of the defense. With that said, we lost how many, 10 starters to the NFL two years ago and didn't really miss a beat. Looking forward to watching it play out.

O line is the concern. Depends on how the newcomers do and the younger guys develop over the summer. We're set at all skill positions on offense. I have great hopes for Colin Wilson creating a legitimate RB threat to take heat off of Lamar.

Defense will probably take step back. Lots of young talent, but have to see how quickly they adapt.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
seems like we regressed as the season went along; which is a bad omen for the bowl season...I don't know what CBP is going to do in order to establish trust in our OL and D again. Hope getting the Heisman focus done with will bring us together again.

next season I suspect we'll be slightly better and have marginal gains in total team performance, thinking of an additional win vs this year.

We're taking a step back in our front seven. Losing JHC is significant and if you need any more evidence than the last two games I don't know what more there is to offer; JHC gets a bad rap, he does things that don't show up statistically...unless he's not on the field. He jams the slot on bubble screens, he can be deployed like an extra linebacker funneling plays away from the blocking, etc. We are losing one if not more defensive ends...and I thought we were thin there this year returning only Greenard as a guarantee after having lost at that position in a two year span--Keith Brown, Dawson-Brents, now Fields, and whatever with Hearns potentially. Thinking that Young comes back off the dislocated hip to the status he was a year ago is rogue optimism. We were VERY deficient getting to the QB with Fields and Hearns and I don't see any single player capable of bringing that heat coming up through the ranks. That's not Greenard's game.

Losing Deangelo Brown and Keith Kelsey up the middle is a blow; perhaps we go with less 3-4 looks in 2017 with Thomas as an MLB in a 4-3 and more two tackle looks which makes perfect sense if Bailey is a DT returnee; we need more from GG Robinson and Richardson as well as Chris Williams. We do have an abundance of incoming DBs to go with a number of incumbents, and I thought Cannon had a VERY underrated impact defensively this year as a third safety. Perhaps he bridges JHC's loss. We have to shore up the backside corner; I'd estimate that of the 25 or so TDs we gave up in the air this year, that corner alone was responsible for 3/4s of them. It beat us at Clemson with both of Artavis Scott's touchdowns, and it played a direct role in the loss to Kentucky on two TDs.

Last edited:
I think this game will give is a good idea of how next year's team should look. Hoping we can launch into 2017 with momentum for next year's season with a W over LSU. I think next year's team could potentially be as good as this year's or better. The big question is defense. Will we develop the second group and will we lose a lot of juniors? What does everybody think of this game, and how do you think next season plays out? Personally I am optimistic about next season, but I think this match up against LSU does not really play to our strengths other than our run defense. I'm predicting a close loss against LSU 27-24, but I think we pick it up next year with a 10-2 record because of all that we return on offense and I have a feeling we don't lose too many juniors. Losing to fsu on the road and one other ACC game either Clemson or UNC. I think we will be in a lot of shootouts though. Whatchya got?

Does anyone know how many Strong recruits will be left on the 2017 team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT