ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mack Speech

You’re kidding - right?
I sure hope he's kidding. ALL coaches say stuff like that. It's called coach speak. If the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Magic, Thunder, or Bulls come calling, he'll listen. Same can be said for a handful of other college jobs too.

Welcome aboard coach Mack. Glad you're here but you really don't have to blow smoke up most peoples asses to fit in @ UofL. Most of us know the deal.

I sure hope he's kidding. ALL coaches say stuff like that. It's called coach speak. If the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Magic, Thunder, or Bulls come calling, he'll listen. Same can be said for a handful of other college jobs too.

Welcome aboard coach Mack. Glad you're here but you really don't have to blow smoke up most peoples asses to fit in @ UofL. Most of us know the deal.
Love this dude. He said ," I promise, you will never ever see me coach any other university or NBA team, this is my last stop "

Louisville is his dream job. I think we got a gem here fellas
acually same speech he gave when he came to Xavier...

Love this dude. He said ," I promise, you will never ever see me coach any other university or NBA team, this is my last stop "

He did a great job.That cannot be easy. There was certain tone of sincerity and commitment in his voice that honestly filled me with some of the pride I felt I had lost the last 6 months. Go CARDS!

Reactions: Chapman123
You’re kidding - right? I mean not the gem part but, are you really that much of a rube to believe any coach that says that?

yeah it's wait and see on both sides (for him and UofL).

i mean, if any fanbase has heard a mountain of shit over and over it's UofL fans with slick rick.

time will tell.

Reactions: Cue Card
Always . Has to be the most miserable person on this board. Probably a really quiet, passive guy in real life and then just let's it all go behind the keyboard.
Na, Ghost has just been around the block a few times. That comes with age and experience. He's not going to be swayed by coach speak regarding how he's never going to leave and all that stuff. It's all been said before, and it'll be said again. No disrespect meant.

You’re kidding - right? I mean not the gem part but, are you really that much of a rube to believe any coach that says that?

Where’s he going to go? This is close to his families and there’s very few jobs that are better. If there were Pitino would have left. Mack has more reasons to stay then even Pitino. When was the last time we lost a BB coach?

Who knows but Louisville is destination job. I think history pretty much tells us coaches don't leave Louisville for a different job. Mack knows Louisville history, I think he meant what he said.

This guy gets it. I am not sure if he will be a great coach but he gets Louisville and its fan base.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Na, Ghost has just been around the block a few times. That comes with age and experience. He's not going to be swayed by coach speak regarding how he's never going to leave and all that stuff. It's all been said before, and it'll be said again. No disrespect meant.
Much like the rest of the things on this board - Cue gets it.

“Hater” - lol.

Reactions: Cue Card
Always . Has to be the most miserable person on this board...
You guys should get your stories straight...I thought I was the most miserable person on this site?

Ghost is 100% right. Only an idiot gulps down everything he heard today, and it changes his life...

Reactions: jimmy5-11
Unfortunately, you're right. And leave it to slapd!cks to pick up on that.

I've been assured by wishful U of L fans that it doesn't mean what it means among slappies...
We'll see. It sounds like a great thing but it creates issues.

I think what Mack means by that is he's going to be your mentor but he's also going to be your coach. He uses social media (recruits love social media), he follows all the uofl eligible players on twitter. I mean it seems like he made a real strong connection with them on Day 1. He's a good guy and tbh, he's not a jerk like Pitino. Pitino was stuck up and old. This guy is young and enthusiastic. Recruits like that. I think what held Pitino back some in recruiting was not only baggage but just that it was all about him. The city and program of UofL is bigger than Mack and Mack realizes that. He talked about coming dorm to dorm begging students to come to games and pep rallies if need be. He begged fans to fill the yum and rock the yum. But he didn't mean to fill it for him, he wants it to be filled FOR THE PLAYERS! Pitino finally realizes that.

Last edited:
If players come first for Mack, I'd like examples of what comes second. I plan to ask him...

I think what Mack means by that is he's going to be your mentor but he's also going to be your coach. He uses social media (recruits love social media), he follows all the uofl eligible players on twitter. I mean it seems like he made a real strong connection with them on Day 1. He's a good guy and tbh, he's not a jerk like Pitino. Pitino was stuck up and old. This guy is young and enthusiastic. Recruits like that. I think what held Pitino back some in recruiting was not only baggage but just that it was all about him. The city and program of UofL is bigger than Mack and Mack realizes that. He talked about coming dorm to dorm begging students to come to games and pep rallies if need be. He begged fans to fill the yum and rock the yum. But he didn't mean to fill it for him, he wants it to be filled FOR THE PLAYERS! Pitino finally realizes that.
No matter how long RP was here, I always got the feeling it was more about Rick than anything else. Whether it was the constant reminders in the early days of his former employer and players, to the obsession with body fat, to previous comments about the size of the fan base of the school of Pervis and Greg Minor while in the pros. IMO he did not embrace the fan base or the school as he should, but was constantly looking over his shoulder.

He was one heck of a coach, but I felt he could have handled things better. We are not BBN (Thank Heavens!), but we are a school with a rich tradition. Growing up as a BB junky in Cincy, Chris Mack knows this. WHAS comes through loud and clear up here and the Cards were THE hot team during his youth. Plus, Denny's OOC schedule always had us on national TV.

Time will tell, but I am looking forward with renewed optimism.

You guys should get your stories straight...I thought I was the most miserable person on this site?

Ghost is 100% right. Only an idiot gulps down everything he heard today, and it changes his life...

This is really touching. The way you guys support each other is beyond cute.

Reactions: bloodguard13
One thing I do know, you’re wrong if you didn’t think Pitino loved his players. He may not have shown it early on but his team with TWill, they were pretty close. I think there were stories of the players hanging out together at his house. You don’t go out and get a tattoo without really trying to connect with his players. But let’s move on now with our new coach, Mack.

One thing I do know, you’re wrong if you didn’t think Pitino loved his players. He may not have shown it early on but his team with TWill, they were pretty close. I think there were stories of the players hanging out together at his house. You don’t go out and get a tattoo without really trying to connect with his players. But let’s move on now with our new coach, Mack.
I'm sure Pitino cared deeply about his players. How could a coach not care about the players? The players are what makes a coach successful. Without players willing to put in the hard work to improve and to win, the coach will not succeed.

So far from what I've read, coach Mack seems to understand it IS all about the players. None of this works without their sacrifices.

I agree, he did love his players, but he still put himself above all. I mean he still has to get his two cents in like calling Seth Greenberg the other day during a commercial break.....just stop my dude (Pitino)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT