ADVERTISEMENT

CBS CFP/NYD Six Bowl Projections...Week 6/7

which is why we should hope to not only win out, but win out impressively. We have to make the teams we play look overmatched, and then hope that every p5 champ besides clemson has 2 losses.
No, we want Clemson with two losses. The Cards only chance to be a P5 champ.

clemson wins out and is undefeated, we win out with 1 loss, and the other p5 champs have 2 losses we are in great shape. We need chaos in college football and everyone to lose except clemson.

Reactions: American Male
clemson wins out and is undefeated, we win out with 1 loss, and the other p5 champs have 2 losses we are in great shape. We need chaos in college football and everyone to lose except clemson.
I'm sorry but I just don't get it. Why not Clemson? If they lose twice and we win out, there's no need for chaos everywhere else. Cards would then be in ACC championship game and a win there we're in. Seems to me that's the best way to get in.

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. Why not Clemson? If they lose twice and we win out, there's no need for chaos everywhere else. Cards would then be in ACC championship game and a win there we're in. Seems to me that's the best way to get in.
Not 100% accurate. Since we're playing the "what if" game, let's play it. What if Clemson loses 2, the Cards win out and the top 4 end up being Alabama, OSU, Washington, and Michigan? That is possible. The only conference that doesn't appear to be in good shape for a top spot is the B12. The ACC could be shut out if Clemson loses 2 games. We need for the loser of the OSU-Michigan game to lose another game along the way and/or Washington to lose. We might need both of those things to happen to end up to the top 4. Lots of football left to play. Way too early to play the what if game seriously IMO.

Not 100% accurate. Since we're playing the "what if" game, let's play it. What if Clemson loses 2, the Cards win out and the top 4 end up being Alabama, OSU, Washington, and Michigan? That is possible. The only conference that doesn't appear to be in good shape for a top spot is the B12. The ACC could be shut out if Clemson loses 2 games. We need for the loser of the OSU-Michigan game to lose another game along the way and/or Washington to lose. We might need both of those things to happen to end up to the top 4. Lots of football left to play. Way too early to play the what if game seriously IMO.
I just can't see a 12-1 ACC champion being left out, especially since the ACC champ has played in the title game the past two seasons. Throw in Heisman winner in Lamar Jackson and it would be the biggest outrage ever.

CardLaw- If a man tells another man-GROW UP during a
conversation, He may need a little growing himself!

I AM sold on Washington. Watched them dismantle a good Stanford team then demolish Oregon. Don't fool yourself into thinking Washington isnt worthy.

SEC Champ: In

B-10 Champ: In

ACC Champ if UofL or Clemson : In

Pac 12 champ if Washington: In

B-12: Not a chance.

In all honesty, we need some chaos to have a decent shot. 2 loss Clemson with one of those losses NOT being in the ACC championship game) If someone other than UofL or Clemson wins the ACC champ game, ACC will be left out.

2 Loss Michigan

Washington to lose Pac 12 champ game. If Washington doesn't win Pac 12, Pac 12 will be left out.

I think we need 2 out of those three to happen in order to make it.

Alabama and Clemson will not lose. The Ohio State and Michigan will essentially be a playoff game for the third spot. The final spot is up for grabs.

Like Cue said... As much as we like to banter about this stuff, it's too early to get caught up in your conclusions. About the only thing that's a guarantee at this point is that an undefeated team from the ACC, SEC, or Big Ten is in the CFP. Pretty close to 100%. Everything else has a less-than-100% probability.

If you're not undefeated, you're on the bubble...

Last edited:
I just can't see a 12-1 ACC champion being left out, especially since the ACC champ has played in the title game the past two seasons. Throw in Heisman winner in Lamar Jackson and it would be the biggest outrage ever.

Correction: two of the last three. FSU was waxed in the 2014 semi-final by Oregon but played in the final BCS Championship game in 2013. No conference has played in both championship games and only Alabama as a team has been in both playoffs. So far, conference records in the playoffs are: Big 10 2-1, SEC 2-1, Pac 10 1-1, ACC 1-2, Big 12 0-1.

Correction: two of the last three. FSU was waxed in the 2014 semi-final by Oregon but played in the final BCS Championship game in 2013. No conference has played in both championship games and only Alabama as a team has been in both playoffs. So far, conference records in the playoffs are: Big 10 2-1, SEC 2-1, Pac 10 1-1, ACC 1-2, Big 12 0-1.
That's right. Forgot about FSU'S failed attempt to repeat. But the point is still the ACC champ has made the playoffs so far.

Like Cue said... As much as we like to banter about this stuff, it's too early to get caught up in your conclusions. About the only thing that's a guarantee at this point is that an undefeated team from the ACC, SEC, or Big Ten is in the CFP. Pretty close to 100%. Everything else has a less-than-100% probability.

If you're not undefeated, you're on the bubble...

I agree but also add that if Washington wins the Pac 12 undefeated, they're in, no questions asked.

I agree but also add that if Washington wins the Pac 12 undefeated, they're in, no questions asked.

Washington running the PAC12 Table or not is THE most important outside-factor determinant of whether the Cards will in the CFP.

If Washington DOESN'T run the table, and the Cards DO run the table STRONGLY, then I think it becomes 50/50, or even better, that the Cards will be in the Playoff.

If Washington DOES run the table, then there is no plausible way that the Cards can get in. It would take a complete breakdown by Clemson, which is a MUCH lower probability, plus additional "breakdown" outcomes would be necessary in the SEC and B10 to make it work.

Washington running the PAC12 Table or not is THE most important outside-factor determinant of whether the Cards will in the CFP.

If Washington DOESN'T run the table, and the Cards DO run the table STRONGLY, then I think it becomes 50/50, or even better, that the Cards will be in the Playoff.

If Washington DOES run the table, then there is no plausible way that the Cards can get in. It would take a complete breakdown by Clemson, which is a MUCH lower probability, plus additional "breakdown" outcomes would be necessary in the SEC and B10 to make it work.

I want to add a postscript on my post, above.

I have looked at Washington's road to the playoff carefully, and there is only a sliver of a chance they will be defeated. The PAC12 is very DOWN this season. Washington is UP when the PAC12 is DOWN.

My statements above all still apply. I just think that given Washington's "easy road", there's no way for the Cards to get into the playoff.

Clemson is in the driver's seat. With Washington right behind them. Then BIG10 Champ, followed by SEC Champ.

Last edited:
I want to add a postscript on my post, above.

I have looked at Washington's road to the playoff carefully, and there is only a sliver of a chance they will be defeated. The PAC12 is very DOWN this season. Washington is UP when the PAC12 is DOWN.

My statements above all still apply. I just think that given Washington's "easy road", there's no way for the Cards to get into the playoff.

Clemson is in the driver's seat. With Washington right behind them. The BIG10 Champ, followed by SEC Champ.
Washington will not in my opinion go undefeated. They have three road games they can easily lose. Don't put much into the win at Oregon. The Ducks are a mess. Their coach is all but gone. Look at the road game UW played at Arizona. It went to overtime and the Huskies were fortunate to win.

The three teams they have to play on the road are much better than Arizona. Utah is going to be tough and I'm actually going to predict a UW loss here. California is another game that can get away from UW. Call has a big time offense that's much like UW's. Davis Webb will throw for over 4,000 yards. If UW is still unbeaten when they play Cal, there's going to be a lot of pressure in what will be a very high scoring game.

But still, if they're still undefeated when they play Washington State, this is where they will lose. WSU is the one team that has the ability and the motivation to end UW'S undefeated hopes. I could see UW losing this game and then the PACK 12 championship game as well.

And they still have home games against two teams playing much better than earlier in the season in USC and Arizona State. A surprise home would not be shocking.

These teams UW has to play are not Duke, Virginia, BC and Wake Forest. More like UNC, NC STATE, and Virginia Tech. Louisville has a much easier chance of winning out than Washington does.

If we end up 50/50 with anybody I bet we're in

LJ is the Wild Card. Pun intended. Especially if he wins the Heisman.

TV will demand it.

Washington will not in my opinion go undefeated. They have three road games they can easily lose. Don't put much into the win at Oregon. The Ducks are a mess. Their coach is all but gone. Look at the road game UW played at Arizona. It went to overtime and the Huskies were fortunate to win.

The three teams they have to play on the road are much better than Arizona. Utah is going to be tough and I'm actually going to predict a UW loss here. California is another game that can get away from UW. Call has a big time offense that's much like UW's. Davis Webb will throw for over 4,000 yards. If UW is still unbeaten when they play Cal, there's going to be a lot of pressure in what will be a very high scoring game.

But still, if they're still undefeated when they play Washington State, this is where they will lose. WSU is the one team that has the ability and the motivation to end UW'S undefeated hopes. I could see UW losing this game and then the PACK 12 championship game as well.

And they still have home games against two teams playing much better than earlier in the season in USC and Arizona State. A surprise home would not be shocking.

These teams UW has to play are not Duke, Virginia, BC and Wake Forest. More like UNC, NC STATE, and Virginia Tech. Louisville has a much easier chance of winning out than Washington does.

Washington HAS played THE easiest schedule among the contenders. That is BECAUSE the PAC12 is down. But I already stated that PAC12 is very DOWN. I believe Washington is a quite superior team to any other in the PAC, this season. I think Washington is two touchdowns better than most other PAC teams.

Just remember that Louisville has to play NC State, Wake Forest and Houston, all of whom are credible teams this season. And I would argue that Duke is an average P5 team.

Washington HAS played THE easiest schedule among the contenders. That is BECAUSE the PAC12 is down. But I already stated that PAC12 is very DOWN. I believe Washington is a quite superior team to any other in the PAC, this season. I think Washington is two touchdowns better than most other PAC teams.

Just remember that Louisville has to play NC State, Wake Forest and Houston, all of whom are credible teams this season. And I would argue that Duke is an average P5 team.

Honestly barring injury Louisville as long as we limit turnovers and penalties beat everyone remaining on our Regular Season Schedule by Double Digits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT