ADVERTISEMENT

CBS CFP/NYD Six Bowl Projections...Week 6/7

Feb 19, 2003
COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF PROJECTIONS
Bowl Date Location Matchup
Peach Bowl Dec. 31 Atlanta, Ga. (1) Alabama vs. (4) Washington
Fiesta Bowl Dec. 31 Glendale, Ariz. (2) Clemson vs. (3) Ohio State

Louisville is also hurt by Houston's loss Saturday because now a victory next month over the Cougars would be devalued some. The Cardinals, which had the week off, are hoping to still get into playoff contention by finishing 11-1 and having their only loss be to undefeated Clemson.

NEW YEAR'S SIX BOWL PROJECTIONS
Sugar Bowl Jan. 2 New Orleans, La. Oklahoma (Big 12) vs. Texas A&M (SEC)
Rose Bowl Jan. 2 Pasadena, Calif. Michigan (Big Ten) vs. Stanford (Pac-12)
Cotton Bowl Jan. 2 Arlington, Tex. Houston (At-large) vs. Tennessee (At-large)
Orange Bowl Dec. 30 Miami, Fla. Louisville (ACC) vs. Wisconsin

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...rojections-houstons-loss-is-washingtons-gain/

Wisconsin -yuck.

Does the Rose have to select a Pac12 team since their champion would
go to the playoffs?

Be great if they selected UofL over a Pac12 team since UofL and Michigan
could both be 11-1. Im sure the "traditionalist" will want the status quo.

Rather play Tennessee or rumored Petrino poacher LSU.
Yet their records wont be good enough.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Yes they do...the Rose Bowl if it not a Semi Final Game has a direct contract with the Pac 12 and Big Ten...the same with the Sugar Bowl with the SEC & Big XII and the Orange Bowl with the ACC and the best available between the SEC/Big Ten or Notre Dame

It just amazes me how all of a sudden a win at Houston means nothing. They even said on ESPN that Louisville no longer has a chance to have another big time win. Does Houston now suck to all these people? Are they not still the team that beat Oklahoma? Are they going to fall out of the top 20?

It was like these pundits now had another reason to exclude Louisville for a playoff spot. If making a playoff comes to a future opponents W/L record then the playoff is as bad as the BCS formula. It's supposed to be the best four teams and not a total resume like it is getting into a 64 team tournament with March Madness. I mean what big time win would Michigan have if their one loss is OSU?

If Clemson finishes 13-0 and the Cards only loss was that game at Clemson, I don't see how any thinking person could exclude Louisville in the final 4. But if these committee members feel the pressure from the top dog programs, the Cards will be the 5th best team in the poll that matters.

We re not gonna get the benefit of doubt in football we are just not a long history proven product on the football field. This is not Basketball we as cardinal fans need to understand FB hierarchy is totally different from BB. We had our chance against Clemson and we didn't complete the task.

It just amazes me how all of a sudden a win at Houston means nothing. They even said on ESPN that Louisville no longer has a chance to have another big time win. Does Houston now suck to all these people? Are they not still the team that beat Oklahoma? Are they going to fall out of the top 20?

It was like these pundits now had another reason to exclude Louisville for a playoff spot. If making a playoff comes to a future opponents W/L record then the playoff is as bad as the BCS formula. It's supposed to be the best four teams and not a total resume like it is getting into a 64 team tournament with March Madness. I mean what big time win would Michigan have if their one loss is OSU?

If Clemson finishes 13-0 and the Cards only loss was that game at Clemson, I don't see how any thinking person could exclude Louisville in the final 4. But if these committee members feel the pressure from the top dog programs, the Cards will be the 5th best team in the poll that matters.

It's not that a win over Houston no longer means anything. I tried to make this point in the other thread. It's going to be hard for a team to jump a P5 conference champ. If said P5 champ is 10-2 or worse, then it's a different story. However, it looks like the P5 champs (maybe with the exception of the Big 12) will be 0/1 loss teams. The point of these prognosticators is that to jump a 0/1 loss champ, a team would need a dynamite resume.

Reactions: beasleythecard

Louisville is also hurt by Houston's loss Saturday because now a victory next month over the Cougars would be devalued some. The Cardinals, which had the week off, are hoping to still get into playoff contention by finishing 11-1 and having their only loss be to undefeated Clemson.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...rojections-houstons-loss-is-washingtons-gain/
wisconsin will be eliminated this weekend is the opinion of many.

It's not that a win over Houston no longer means anything. I tried to make this point in the other thread. It's going to be hard for a team to jump a P5 conference champ. If said P5 champ is 10-2 or worse, then it's a different story. However, it looks like the P5 champs (maybe with the exception of the Big 12) will be 0/1 loss teams. The point of these prognosticators is that to jump a 0/1 loss champ, a team would need a dynamite resume.

Correct.

And to answer the question above which was basically "Who will Michigan have beaten? The answer is Colorado, Wisconsin and Maryland (who looks surprisingly good for now). You could also add in middlings Michigan State and Iowa who are not quite their old selves, but still decent.

If Michigan should prevail and give Ohio State its one loss, OSU's wins would be at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, at Penn State (meh), at Maryland and at Michigan State.

You could also throw in Texas A&M if they lose at Bama as their only setback. They will have wins over UCLA, Tennessee, Ole Miss and LSU.

So, back to my point in another thread, if any one loss division runner up is going to beat out a one loss P5 conference winner, the OSU/Michigan loser and Texas A&M have a much better chance in the end.

Correct.

And to answer the question above which was basically "Who will Michigan have beaten? The answer is Colorado, Wisconsin and Maryland (who looks surprisingly good for now). You could also add in middlings Michigan State and Iowa who are not quite their old selves, but still decent.

If Michigan should prevail and give Ohio State its one loss, OSU's wins would be at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, at Penn State (meh), at Maryland and at Michigan State.

So in the same reply, you call Penn State meh and Maryland surprisingly good. Let me help you out with a score from yesterday, since you clearly are not following along, just shooting from the hip as usual.

Penn St 38
Maryland 14

The resume of a one-loss Michigan will likely be good enough to be chosen over a one-loss Washington. Not even ruling out it being better than an undefeated Washington. The Pac-12 blows that bad.

Some folks have quickly forgotten the tidal wave of U of L and Lamar Jackson. Surf's up again on Friday...

So in the same reply, you call Penn State meh and Maryland surprisingly good. Let me help you out with a score from yesterday, since you clearly are not following along, just shooting from the hip as usual.

Penn St 38
Maryland 14

Not suprising coming from a bammer-uofkay fan/Louisville hater.

Penn St 38
Maryland 14

Maryland is 4-1 - rare for them.

Penn State is 4-2 against air (okay, Michigan, but otherwise, air)

Maryland is surprisingly good for them. Penn State is "meh". Neither one is going anywhere. And regardless, you fail to address the central theme of my post - both Michigan and OSU will have a much better resume than UL if it comes down to one loss division losers.

Not suprising coming from a bammer-uofkay fan/Louisville hater.

UL is not making the playoffs unless Clemson loses 2 = "Louisville hater"

AND . . .

UL is not going to the playoffs unless Clemson loses 2 = REALITY

ERGO: Reality = "Louisville hater"

BUT

It is still REALITY. Grow up and learn to live with it.

Maryland is 4-1 - rare for them.

Penn State is 4-2 against air (okay, Michigan, but otherwise, air)

Maryland is surprisingly good for them. Penn State is "meh". Neither one is going anywhere. And regardless, you fail to address the central theme of my post - both Michigan and OSU will have a much better resume than UL if it comes down to one loss division losers.

I failed to address nothing. I pointed out a major flaw in your reasoning. Since you'd like me to continue, lets review some more schedules, since all you're doing is throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

Michigan non-conference foes
Hawaii (meh)
UCF (took Maryland to double OT so must be pretty solid)
Colorado (meh)
Very blah 14-7 win over Wisconsin. Ohio St only ranked team left on schedule, so assuming they lose that game they will have played two good teams and gone 1-1. I'm struggling here, so help me out with the much better resume than U of L part? I'd love to get more of your analysis on middling Big Ten teams.

Ohio St. non-conference foes
BGSU (meh)
Tulsa (meh)
Oklahoma (Houston loss not helping the cause)
Argument could be made they haven't really played anyone yet, but lucky for us Wisconsin is up next, with Nebraska (solid 3 point win against Oregon) and Michigan left. I see a slightly better argument for these guys, but bringing your "much better resume" wording into it, I don't see it. I will say if they are the one loss team, I think they will get in over U of L, just because of who they are, and they are a more exciting team than Michigan.

Reactions: GoldCard
I failed to address nothing. I pointed out a major flaw in your reasoning. Since you'd like me to continue, lets review some more schedules, since all you're doing is throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

Michigan non-conference foes
Hawaii (meh)
UCF (took Maryland to double OT so must be pretty solid)
Colorado (meh)
Very blah 14-7 win over Wisconsin. Ohio St only ranked team left on schedule, so assuming they lose that game they will have played two good teams and gone 1-1. I'm struggling here, so help me out with the much better resume than U of L part? I'd love to get more of your analysis on middling Big Ten teams.

Ohio St. non-conference foes
BGSU (meh)
Tulsa (meh)
Oklahoma (Houston loss not helping the cause)
Argument could be made they haven't really played anyone yet, but lucky for us Wisconsin is up next, with Nebraska (solid 3 point win against Oregon) and Michigan left. I see a slightly better argument for these guys, but bringing your "much better resume" wording into it, I don't see it. I will say if they are the one loss team, I think they will get in over U of L, just because of who they are, and they are a more exciting team than Michigan.

OK, you're slow. So let me make this easier . . .

Beating Wisconsin, Penn State, Colorado Oklahoma etc. versus beating Duke, Boston College, N.C. State. Which grabs your attention?

Still not there?

Michigan, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Louisville - Which one says "not football?" Which one in November will not be playing meaningful games? Think the committee is going to be glued in on UL versus Houston? How about UL versus UK? The big teams are going to be playing big games in November. UL will be playing Virginia. That is why a division runner up is screwed. There is nothing left of UL's schedule that matters to anyone outside of Jefferson County. The sad part of that is Jackson is probably deserving of the Heisman (although I hate that award). But, he probably won't win it simply because there is nothing on UL's schedule from here on that gives anyone any reason to pay attention. He'll be forgotten by December when they vote.

Beating Wisconsin, Penn State, Colorado Oklahoma etc. versus beating Duke, Boston College, N.C. State. Which grabs your attention?

Still not there?

Michigan, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Louisville - Which one says "not football?" Which one in November will not be playing meaningful games? Think the committee is going to be glued in on UL versus Houston? How about UL versus UK? The big teams are going to be playing big games in November. UL will be playing Virginia. That is why a division runner up is screwed. There is nothing left of UL's schedule that matters to anyone outside of Jefferson County. The sad part of that is Jackson is probably deserving of the Heisman (although I hate that award). But, he probably won't win it simply because there is nothing on UL's schedule from here on that gives anyone any reason to pay attention. He'll be forgotten by December when they vote.

Great analysis. Very hater like. You proved nothing other than why people call you out for trolling.

Reactions: GoldCard
UL is not making the playoffs unless Clemson loses 2 = "Louisville hater"

AND . . .

UL is not going to the playoffs unless Clemson loses 2 = REALITY

ERGO: Reality = "Louisville hater"

BUT

It is still REALITY. Grow up and learn to live with it.

Are you the great kreskin?

You dont know whats going to happen.
At the beginning of the season i said UofL was a year away, bammie.

You shat on UofL coaches, so you get the stick pointed back at cha, bammie.
Maybe if the Cards had bought players and refs like Bammer, they'd have 12 titles also.

However theyre going to win the playoffs and EARN the Title, unlike the many Bammer
bought, were selected to. May not be this year, but soon. I'd love to see your reaction.

Keep hangin around and hatin.
Be funny if Tennessee and A&M beat Bamma. Then maybe they can matchup
UofL in the OB, where they would kick bammers a##

UL on that.......

Still not there?

Well, you're leaving out wins over FSU and Houston if the Cards do beat the Cougars. That's much better than Penn State or Colorado. If Michigan loses to OSU their best win will be over Wisconsin 14-7. Louisville best win is 63-20 over FSU. A 2nd big win over Houston would be much better than a win over Colorado . You have to see that? Michigan would get in over Louisville because of their tradition but not because of a better resume.

Reactions: Mayoman
Well, you're leaving out wins over FSU and Houston if the Cards do beat the Cougars. That's much better than Penn State or Colorado. If Michigan loses to OSU their best win will be over Wisconsin 14-7. Louisville best win is 63-20 over FSU. A 2nd big win over Houston would be much better than a win over Colorado . You have to see that? Michigan would get in over Louisville because of their tradition but not because of a better resume.

He doesn't have to see that...doesn't fit the narrative that he wants....it is what it is...

9/3 vs
-m-0ghlhx__56x42.png
Hawaii W 3 - 63

9/10 vs
-m-08pxkj__56x42.png
UCF W 14 - 51

9/17 vs
-m-0f24cc__56x42.png
Colorado W 28 - 45

9/24 vs
-m-0frm7n__56x42.png
Penn State W 10 - 49

10/1 vs
-m-0fw9n7__56x42.png
Wisconsin W 7 - 14

Michigan played their 1st five games at home. Harbaugh has scheduled himself into the playoff discussion. This past weekend he took his team on the road for a tough challenge....lol AT Rutgers. Michigan plays 3 road games all year. All Big Ten games.

Michigan and Harbaugh are a joke. Lamar and Louisville would roll these chumps given an opportunity.
CJ

I don't see Washington losing. Their blowout of Oregon (media darling) at Oregon can be looked at as impressive as our victory over FSU. We screwed the pooch at Clemson period. Finish out the season undefeated and a trip to Miami in late December is a great reward.

Reactions: CardVille
I don't see Washington losing. Their blowout of Oregon (media darling) at Oregon can be looked at as impressive as our victory over FSU. We screwed the pooch at Clemson period. Finish out the season undefeated and a trip to Miami in late December is a great reward.
sorry but there is no comparing Oregon to FSU. The Seminoles were #2 and still are a very good team. Oregon is terrible, getting blown out by everyone.

Oregon is 2-4 with wins over UC Davis and UVa. FSU just beat a top 10 team on the road. Oregon has @Cal, @USC, Stanford and @Utah left on the schedule. By the time the decision is being made, Washington's win @Oregon will look no better than any of our blowout ACC wins.

Reactions: Mayoman

Other than stature, is the ACC really any better than mid-2000's Big East? Besides Houston, the rest of the schedule this year really sucks. Louisville will be favored every game by 20 or more and there are 7 games left.

Other than stature, is the ACC really any better than mid-2000's Big East? Besides Houston, the rest of the schedule this year really sucks. Louisville will be favored every game by 20 or more and there are 7 games left.
Yes. I said it before the season that other than FSU and Clemson, the conference schedule was not very good. We needed VA Tech and Miami from the Coastal instead of Duke and Virginia.

Are you the great kreskin?

You dont know whats going to happen.
At the beginning of the season i said UofL was a year away, bammie.

You shat on UofL coaches, so you get the stick pointed back at cha, bammie.
Maybe if the Cards had bought players and refs like Bammer, they'd have 12 titles also.

However theyre going to win the playoffs and EARN the Title, unlike the many Bammer
bought, were selected to. May not be this year, but soon. I'd love to see your reaction.

Keep hangin around and hatin.
Be funny if Tennessee and A&M beat Bamma. Then maybe they can matchup
UofL in the OB, where they would kick bammers a##

UL on that.......

Your problem, and the problem of many on here, is even though I have never posted on here or anywhere else "Alabama would beat UL" or anything of the sort, you want to try to make it some sort of "UL versus Alabama" argument. Alabama is not part of this argument. The only two foes in this argument are : (1) Teams that don't win their conference; and (2) Teams that make the playoffs. You are one or the other. Reality says that unless Clemson loses two, UL will be in group (1). That's it. If Alabama does not win the SEC, Alabama is in group (1) too. The difference between you and me is I am adult enough and realistic enough to know that and accept it. You are not.

Your problem, and the problem of many on here, is even though I have never posted on here or anywhere else "Alabama would beat UL" or anything of the sort, you want to try to make it some sort of "UL versus Alabama" argument. Alabama is not part of this argument.

You are a bama fan with 11,000 posts on a U of L message board, and only 50 likes received in those 11k posts. You are not a respected poster, as clearly evident by your own stats. The only "problem" here, is the fact that you are still here. Go away. Seriously.

You are a bama fan with 11,000 posts on a U of L message board, and only 50 likes received in those 11k posts. You are not a respected poster, as clearly evident by your own stats. The only "problem" here, is the fact that you are still here. Go away. Seriously.

Spoken like a true fair weather fan.

I have the posts I have because I have been a member of rivals' sites since they commenced around 2000 or so. The facebook shit of "like" "dislike" began about a year ago or so - long after I stopped posting regularly. I now only post during the season unless something fun happens.

I don't have 11,000 post on a UL sight. I have whatever number of posts I have on all rivals sites.

If you were an actual fan - and you obviously are not - you would know that. But since you are just some jonnie-come-lately fair weather fan or a 13 yo, you don't.

Now, if you actually have an argument to make as to any of mine, I'd love to see it. I doubt you do. The usual tactic of the clueless is when they cannot argue the point, attack the person who posted it. Are you among the clueless?

Spoken like a true fair weather fan.

I have the posts I have because I have been a member of rivals' sites since they commenced around 2000 or so. The facebook shit of "like" "dislike" began about a year ago or so - long after I stopped posting regularly. I now only post during the season unless something fun happens.

I don't have 11,000 post on a UL sight. I have whatever number of posts I have on all rivals sites.

If you were an actual fan - and you obviously are not - you would know that. But since you are just some jonnie-come-lately fair weather fan or a 13 yo, you don't.

Now, if you actually have an argument to make as to any of mine, I'd love to see it. I doubt you do. The usual tactic of the clueless is when they cannot argue the point, attack the person who posted it. Are you among the clueless?

I've already pointed out above how solid your analysis is. Your last response went to the names on the jerseys to prove your point, rather than actual analysis. You showed the lack of a clue with that response. Now go away. You are not welcome here.

I don't see Washington losing. Their blowout of Oregon (media darling) at Oregon can be looked at as impressive as our victory over FSU.

Washington may not lose, but don't get carried away with the perception of weighing the wins against Oregon and FSU. Oregon really stinks, and FSU does not.

I've already pointed out above how solid your analysis is. Your last response went to the names on the jerseys to prove your point, rather than actual analysis. You showed the lack of a clue with that response. Now go away. You are not welcome here.

You did? Sorry. I missed your brilliant insight and analysis on UL's superior resume. Perhaps you can point us all to it.

You did? Sorry. I missed your brilliant insight and analysis on UL's superior resume. Perhaps you can point us all to it.
Speaking of juveniles ...
No one said anything about U of L having a superior resume except for you. So here you are, on a U of L board, taking a pot shot, and then calling someone else juvenile in your very next post in the same thread. Case closed.

Card law is the mast er bait er. Over here showing how "indifferent" he is about his feelings towards UofL football near the midnight hour.

I enjoy his contrarian style towards the rah rah crowd. Show those fans man show 'em!

which is why we should hope to not only win out, but win out impressively. We have to make the teams we play look overmatched, and then hope that every p5 champ besides clemson has 2 losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT