ADVERTISEMENT

Cards WBB vs VA

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
#3 University of Louisville women's basketball returns to the KFC Yum! Center to host Virginia on Thursday night. A tip off at 7 p.m. ET and broadcast on ACC Network Extra and 790-AM WKRD.

A Cavalier squad that has taken their share of beatings and defeats this season. Virginia has a 3-18 record and is 0-11 in ACC play in the fourth season under WNBA Hall of Famer and former number one pick Tina Thompson.

The Cavs allow 65.8 points per game, which ranks 12th in the league, while scoring 53.7 points per game, which ranks last in the ACC.. Virginia forces 16.2 turnovers per game, which ranks eighth in the ACC. The Cavaliers do have senior Amandine Toi’s 12.3 points per game. Toi is leading the ACC in minutes played at nearly 37 minutes per game and has started all 21 games. Senior Eleah Parker averages 1.7 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the ACC. UConn transfer Mir McLean has played in five games and grabs a team-high 6.4 rebounds per game and scores 11.4 points per game.

The Cards are 10-2 all-time against Virginia and 6-0 at the KFC Yum! Center. UofL is 10-1 against the Hoos since joining the ACC and have won nine straight. The two teams did not play last season. The Cards last played Virginia on Jan. 23, 2020 at the KFC Yum! Center, a 71-56 win.

Jazmine Jones had 15 points (Jones was recently picked up by the Indiana Fever) and Kylee Shook added 10 points (still with the NY Liberty) last time the two teams met. Dana Evans (Chicago Sky) notched her ninth 20-point game of the season to lead No. 5 Louisville to a 71-56 win over Virginia inside the KFC Yum! Center.

In other news, University of Louisville women's basketball sophomore guard Merissah Russell is one of 19 players named to Canada’s Senior Women’s National Team that will compete at the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 Qualifying Tournament in Osaka, Japan from Feb. 10-13.

"It is always an honor to represent Canada and my family on the world stage," said Russell. "Playing for my home country is something that always gives me goose bumps and I am very grateful to Coach Walz, the Louisville coaching staff and my teammates for allowing me the opportunity to travel overseas during our season.”

--sonja--

Reactions: putter23
Should be a serious ass-kick’n. Play the subs a lot to rest those legs for Sunday.

ACC issued a press release saying Virginia will forfeit. I don’t see how a school like Virginia can’t get their team to an away game. There’s no bad weather in Virginia.
Forfeit is important to Louisville because they don’t want to play one less game than NC State.

ACC issued a press release saying Virginia will forfeit. I don’t see how a school like Virginia can’t get their team to an away game. There’s no bad weather in Virginia.
Forfeit is important to Louisville because they don’t want to play one less game than NC State.
Good that’s ridiculous

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT