ADVERTISEMENT

Cards WBB vs NCST

Go look at the minutes played by our Ladies ……. Granted NCST deserves a lot of credit for flipping the energy level and hitting those 4th quarter shots that were so well defended in the first 3 quarters, but it sure looked to me like Emily, Olivia, Hailey and K Smith “we’re spent”, and had lost their legs.

Jeff would know better, but I thought NCST bench made sure their kids were rested for the 4th quarter. That half court trap was all about their energy.

Such a shame to have played so well on both ends of the court for 3 quarters, only to experience the meltdown in the 4th.

Reactions: putter23
Go look at the minutes played by our Ladies ……. Granted NCST deserves a lot of credit for flipping the energy level and hitting those 4th quarter shots that were so well defended in the first 3 quarters, but it sure looked to me like Emily, Olivia, Hailey and K Smith “we’re spent”, and had lost their legs.

Jeff would know better, but I thought NCST bench made sure their kids were rested for the 4th quarter. That half court trap was all about their energy.

Such a shame to have played so well on both ends of the court for 3 quarters, only to experience the meltdown in the 4th.
I really didn’t think this team could collapse like that. It almost looked like they forgot how to play basketball for the entire fourth quarter. I am sure Jeff will use that as a big teaching/motivating tool for the rest of the season. In the ACC this year you cannot lose focus for even a minute or this will happen.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I was certainly looking at the situation realistically - unfortunately. Dead legs - i said that in another post. When NC St initiated their push it looked like a boxer who took a big roundhouse. You hope you absorb the blow, catch your breath and move forward. Yet, they couldn’t catch their breath and played the final 8 minutes on wobbly legs and with glazed-over eyes. I hope it makes them mad and they come out on Sunday and destroy Wake.

There was a few key possessions when the Cards had a open 3 when NCST was making their run but we chose to run the clock. Twice, HVL was wide open and considered the shot but stuck to the game plan not to take quick shots. Walz talked about quick shots at the halftime interview.

Then panic took over and Walz should have taken a timeout sooner. It was a perfect storm that last six minutes where the Cards were worried their great performance was being threatened and the Pack smelled blood in the water.

Louisville is missing one key factor on this team. They don't have wing forwards with height who can make plays. They have two good post players and a bunch of small guards. Engtster is the closest we have but she's not athletic enough or a good enough shooter. She's a lesser Sam Fuehring.

Walz needs a couple of 6'3 wing players who can make plays. It's what separates South Carolina, Stanford and other powers from Louisville.

There was a few key possessions when the Cards had a open 3 when NCST was making their run but we chose to run the clock. Twice, HVL was wide open and considered the shot but stuck to the game plan not to take quick shots. Walz talked about quick shots at the halftime interview.

Then panic took over and Walz should have taken a timeout sooner. It was a perfect storm that last six minutes where the Cards were worried their great performance was being threatened and the Pack smelled blood in the water.

Louisville is missing one key factor on this team. They don't have wing forwards with height who can make plays. They have two good post players and a bunch of small guards. Engtster is the closest we have but she's not athletic enough or a good enough shooter. She's a lesser Sam Fuehring.

Walz needs a couple of 6'3 wing players who can make plays. It's what separates South Carolina, Stanford and other powers from Louisville.
That’s why I thought it was important that Cochran and Dixon have a good game. Olivia did but Dixon was no show. In fact, our bench was a no show. Not sure why Payton didn’t get more minutes but I guess we were playing so good for 3/4.

I have to admit, our domination of the first 3 quarters really surprised me. I didn't think that we had that kind of ceiling, so I am going to take last night's game as a positive. Coach can build on our early dominance, but also build off that 4th quarter collapse.
-we still lack that go-to scorer, who wants the ball and can deliver late. HVL is a baller, but her shooting has been inconsistent 39%FG, 26% 3's. Kiana has been a knock down shooter, but needs to want it more as she disappeared in second half and has only 8 FT's all year. Emily is brilliant in many areas, but isn't a confident well rounded scorer currently. Cochran played well last night, maybe she is ready to be a bigger scorer for us.
-obviously, we got tired last night and our bench didn't produce like they have all year. Ahlana struggled last night, but has been instant off./def. all year. Maybe Coach needs to push Verlhulst out there more, she has a scorer's mentality and may be ready to step up.
Make no mistake, we are damn good and Coach Walz will figure sh#t out.

Excellent assessment RealVille! It simply takes more size than what we recruit to win against the top 3 or 4 programs,

Peace

One of those 6’3” wings you are talking about is already on the team redshirting and that is Alexia Mobley. It is a shame we don’t have her this year but she is an impressive player. She is a well rounded player who can go inside and outside and she can dunk the ball. She will be a great addition to the team.

Reactions: WahooCard
That's the lowest thing you can say about a team.
Can't agree. We were out there, but shots were not falling and their full court press was giving us fits getting up the court. Take your Louisville MBB mentality and synopsis and keep it over on that board. We got outplayed by a top5 DI team in the nation. I didn't see any quit...

--sonja--

Can't agree. We were out there, but shots were not falling and their full court press was giving us fits getting up the court. Take your Louisville MBB mentality and synopsis and keep it over on that board. We got outplayed by a top5 DI team in the nation. I didn't see any quit...

--sonja--
FYI. Birdie King was answering Guardman’s post. He is agreeing with all us that the statement is way out of line.

--sonja--
I hope you are referencing the poster who said "We quit" and not me. Thanks Bardman.

Reactions: Bardman and Sonja
This is one of the most courageous group of Lady Cards that we have seen in a while ……. there is definitely no quit in any of them. Anyone who has ever played basketball in a hostile environment, and play with the required intensity for full court against a very talented team like NCST …….. fatigue is inevitable without some breaks in between.

I thought Hailey’s post game comments about the affect of the crowd noise in the arena was most telling; that obviously contributed to their difficulties with communicating on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT