ADVERTISEMENT

Cards WBB vs GT

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Louisville women's basketball plays their first road game of the 2021-22 ACC schedule when they travel to Atlanta Sunday for a noon match against Georgia Tech. This one will be on the ACC Network, as well as on Cards Radio WRKD 790 AM.

#2 Louisville is 8-0 all time against the #16 Yellow Jackets. They face a squad that has five players averaging 8.5 ppg or better a game and, like Louisville, a win over Uconn. The Yellow Jackets have losses to Auburn and Purdue this season.

Nell Fortner has built a very viable top 25 contender since taking the program over several years ago. They tend to pack the McCamish Pavilion for home games and are 1-0 so far in conference play, like Louisville.

GT's Thursday night game against Pitt was postponed because of COVID protocol within the Panther program.

Key to a Cardinals win? Louisville will need to come out a bit more focused and shoot the ball better than they did against Boston College. Three-point accuracy could also be a key against the Yellow Jackets. The Cards have hung their hats on defense this season and it will take another strong effort by the Cards against a Tech team that also prides themselves on solid, ball denial defense.

--sonja--

Louisville women's basketball plays their first road game of the 2021-22 ACC schedule when they travel to Atlanta Sunday for a noon match against Georgia Tech. This one will be on the ACC Network, as well as on Cards Radio WRKD 790 AM.

#2 Louisville is 8-0 all time against the #16 Yellow Jackets. They face a squad that has five players averaging 8.5 ppg or better a game and, like Louisville, a win over Uconn. The Yellow Jackets have losses to Auburn and Purdue this season.

Nell Fortner has built a very viable top 25 contender since taking the program over several years ago. They tend to pack the McCamish Pavilion for home games and are 1-0 so far in conference play, like Louisville.

GT's Thursday night game against Pitt was postponed because of COVID protocol within the Panther program.

Key to a Cardinals win? Louisville will need to come out a bit more focused and shoot the ball better than they did against Boston College. Three-point accuracy could also be a key against the Yellow Jackets. The Cards have hung their hats on defense this season and it will take another strong effort by the Cards against a Tech team that also prides themselves on solid, ball denial defense.

--sonja--
for us out of towers...first I absolutely read your every post! but could you please put the time of the gamer in...or show me where to find it...thks

Reactions: Sonja
for us out of towers...first I absolutely read your every post! but could you please put the time of the gamer in...or show me where to find it...thks
WAIT!!!!!!!!!! brilliant here was looking for numbers.....what an idiot I am!!!!!!! duh!!
really enjoy your informed perspective.....mk in seawalls point Fla

Announcers said Tech only has 7 players available today… all 5 starters are playing. Apparently, they don’t go deep into the bench anyway.

This reminds me of the first period against Boston College all defense and no offense. We are going to have to get pints in transition to get our offense going.

For once I would like to watch a UofL game without just plain horrible officiating. It's unbelievable that this continues at this level.

Regardless, we have to actually make shots to matter.

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
Is something wrong with that rim we need to make sure no one gets up there and adjust that rim at halftime.

Very tough start. Cards must embrace the contact and go at GT.

Brick after brick. HVL can’t even hit free throws. I think they’re still on the plane. Wake up Cards!!

Regardless if we win, this team has no business being ranked #1. South Carolina is by far the best team. No way they would score only 3 points in a quarter.

Looks to me the Cards were just not in to playing this game. They're treating it like a dental appointment. You know you have to play but you're not looking forward to it.

If you want to see twilight zone in sports, watch a Louisville game in any sport and you will see it.

If the Cards shoot their normal percentage in the 2nd half, they should win easily. GT is going to wear out with only 7 players.

As terrible as the Cards were shooting, they're still tied at the half. Got to start making the free throws though because GT is going to foul as they get more fatigued. That is of course the refs blow the whistle.

Reactions: Sonja and Cap'n Jim
The play to end the second quarter was beautifully designed & executed. Need to continue that & they will be in good shape.

Playing five against eight! Can’t believe it took a T on Walz to get the refs to look at the replay on the shot Mikassa took to the head! Ugh!

I hope things don’t get out of control because this could snowball on us and we could end up losing. Our go to players are really struggling in this game HVL and Kianna have been non existent.

Yeah the refs are trying to even it up 🤨. We’re playing like the first quarter again. We look horrible. HVL passed up a open shot only to dribble into the trees and she takes an I’ll advised shot.

I don’t think the elbow was intentional. Yet, Kasa was clearly clocked in the head and a review should have been automatic. The refs are calling phantom calls on us and allowing GT to play physical - very lopsided. Need to get Verhulst back in.

Well I think it's very clear the refs are going to effect the outcome of this game. 5 fouls to 0 in first 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter?

And I'm sorry HVL fans but she is just too short and not athletic enough to continue to drive the ball. Her game is shooting the 3 even though she's not very good at that and distributing the ball. She's a heady player and plays hard but she's not a offensive threat driving the ball.

This team misses a Jazz Jones. A athletic wing driver to the goal. I still don't see a long post season run for Louisville. Hope I'm wrong but games like this one is why I feel this way. GT plays good defense but they are very limited offensively and have just 7 players, yet it's been enough to lead the majority if this game with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Well I think it's very clear the refs are going to effect the outcome of this game. 5 fouls to 0 in first 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter?

And I'm sorry HVL fans but she is just too short and not athletic enough to continue to drive the ball. Her game is shooting the 3 even though she's not very good at that and distributing the ball. She's a heady player and plays hard but she's not a offensive threat driving the ball.

This team misses a Jazz Jones. A athletic wing driver to the goal. I still don't see a long post season run for Louisville. Hope I'm wrong but games like this one is why I feel this way. GT plays good defense but they are very limited offensively and have just 7 players, yet it's been enough to lead the majority if this game with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.
I agree on HVL. She’s been a disappointment for sure. My expectations for her were over board I guess.

3 points in the first quarter and now 5 points with a minute to go in the third quarter.

This game looks like Pitino vs Virginia. I have never seen the women's team play this bad.

Reactions: Bardman
Many teams have focused on shutting HVL down. Others have to make shots. Today - too many missed layups and FTs. Again, get the ball in the paint and go hard to the rim. Force the refs to blow their whistles.

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
I agree on HVL. She’s been a disappointment for sure. My expectations for her were over board I guess.
Being a gym rat can only take you so far. She doesn’t have length or speed. Once you get to a certain level, being 5’6” and descending from Europe hurts you.

Reactions: CardsFirst
She shot better from 3 last season when she wasn't the focal point of the offense. This season she has regressed and apparently has fallen victim of the sophomore slump.

I think Walz needs to get Veyhurtz more playing time.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Many teams have focused on shutting HVL down. Others have to make shots. Today - too many missed layups and FTs. Again, get the ball in the paint and go hard to the rim. Force the refs to blow their whistles.
Yeah I don’t think HVLs issue is other teams shutting her down. She does a fine job of doing that her self. She over penetrates and takes I’ll advised shots, shots she’s not athletic enough to make at this level.

She shot better from 3 last season when she wasn't the focal point of the offense. This season she has regressed and apparently has fallen victim of the sophomore slump.

I think Walz needs to get Veyhurtz more playing time.
Hopefully she’s experiencing a sophomore slump, that’s possible

Well she is the 2nd leading scorer on the team. She hit 4 shots in a row against sUcK in the 4th period to give us the win. She hit 4 shots in a row against UConn in the 4 period to give us a win and your disappointed.
I might be a little hard on her but she’s hot and cold. But having said that she is play good D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT