ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs South Carolina

No doubt USC is the better team but the Twilight Zone still exists with Louisville basketball and loose balls. This game is the most lopsided I've ever seen in terms of loose balls.

Reactions: rh62531
Great season. USCjr was just overall taller, bigger and more athletic. There is a reason they have been #1 most of the season. Loose balls? Sometimes the ball just doesn’t bounce your way and it certainly did not so so tonight. So proud of these young ladies and our outstanding coaching staff.

Great unexpected season.
Refs were typical, but our ball security was horrible. USC had height and length on us at every position. We were rattled early and never recovered. One stupid turnover after another. And no guard play. Of course that was because of the USC D. It’s tough losing, but I think we lost to the NCs.

I have a question, why does it seem Waltz never recruits taller players???? It's seems every time we get this far into the tournament, we lose to much taller teams. I've never been able to understand, why the tall players aren't coming to UofL, when we are one of the top 3 or 4 programs in the nation. Any opinions/insights?

Why? Do you think it’s an insult? Do you think Jeff Waltz is more successful as a coach than Mark Few?
If the Louisville men had performed as well as Mark Few over the past 5 seasons, Chris Mack would be a coach for life.
You comment implies that Jeff can’t win it all. Just like Denny, if you keep knocking on the door, you will get a title.

If the Louisville men had performed as well as Mark Few over the past 5 seasons, Chris Mack would be a coach for life.
You comment implies that Jeff can’t win it all. Just like Denny, if you keep knocking on the door, you will get a title.
Sometimes it’s best to let stupid comments just sit there. Some just have to always be negative, it’s all they know.

I have a question, why does it seem Waltz never recruits taller players???? It's seems every time we get this far into the tournament, we lose to much taller teams. I've never been able to understand, why the tall players aren't coming to UofL, when we are one of the top 3 or 4 programs in the nation. Any opinions/insights?
I am sure he recruits them. They are a very valued commodity, they are just hard to get.

And it took DC from his first year of 1971 until 1980 to win his first NC. But don't let that fact get in your way EKY.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Well the effort was there...the execution was not. SC was just too big, too strong, very physical without fouling much at all (at least according to the many no calls by the officials) and shot the 3 well. Hard to beat that.

Now Coach W needs to figure how to stretch HVL into a 6' or so, so she can she can get her shot off vs the 6'1' guards that SC put on her to basically shut her down.

Emily is a warrior, Cawthron (sp) needs to get stronger in her legs to not fall down so much and get pushed around when guarding/matching up with bigger centers like the SC girl who was simply awesome and the difference maker in this game.

Also, the SC guards are pretty darn solid too. Controlled the game. Good ball handlers and decision makers is a killer combo. I feel bad for all the girls but especially for the seniors and Emily the most. She did everything she could do for the Cards to win....it was just not to be.

Hats off to a great run to the FF and for an awesome season. There is always next year. Go get um Coach Walz.
Nothing to hang your heads about....just faced a taller, physically superior team on this night that was on.

All hail U of L! Go Cards!

I think USC‘s main focus was to shut down HVL as a matter of fact that is what Dawn Staley said. If we’re hitting more form outside from the other players they would not have been able to focus so much on HVL. I thought Emily and K. Smith had good games and Cochran did OK on offense. We had 8 missed layups and only made about 4 free throws And way too many unforced turnovers. I really enjoyed watching this team all year they gave me a break from all the drama from the men’s team.

I wanted to win this game badly and have a shot at the title but it just didn’t work but I am looking forward to next year. I will buy season tickets again next year and spend more time watching the women’s games than the men’s. I can’t say enough good things about CJW and the team I am proud of all of them.

I don’t think HVL’s size hurts there are a lot of 5’7” guards I am more worried about bigs on the wings and in the middle. Losing Emily is really a big loss and K. Smith and C. Hall as well but we should still be a contender next year.

I don’t think HVL’s size hurts there are a lot of 5’7” guards I am more worried about bigs on the wings and in the middle. Losing Emily is really a big loss and K. Smith and C. Hall as well but we should still be a contender next year.
It did tonight. How many shots did HVL have blocked by the taller SC guards?

Future opponents learned a lot tonight on how to defend HVL and cut off the head guard of the team and frustrate the Cards 'O'. Lots of contested shots for all the players who failed to even draw iron on quite a few of the shots in the first 2 quarters of the game.

SC dictated the game right out of the gate and forced the Cards to play catch up the whole game....never taking the lead away from SC. This was likely one of the Cards poorer performances of the year and the final score reflected that. I feel bad for all of them but especially Emily who played her butt off and fouled out of the game due to some questionable calls but that is the way it goes for the Cards in the FF. No calls or bad calls. It sucks.

Very few. The roster next year has 6’5” (x2), 6’4”, 6’3” (x2), 6’2” (x2). That is a lot of height. But, much of that height is very young. I hope to see more Olivia plus Liz or another ‘big’. Ramani appears to just be a role player/provide height in practice. Sydnl - jury is out. It isn’t like he hasn’t had height. Kylie is in the WNBA and was very good for us. She was a rim protector and, I agree, we don’t have that right now.

Reactions: Mayoman
It wasn’t that Olivia wasn’t “tall” enough. She didn’t seem to understand positioning and then she was always off balanced and falling down a lot. Plus and she’s not the only one, she doesn’t know how to jump and get the ball at it’s apex and just waited for the ball to come to her.

HVL had 2 shots blocked that’s a possible 4 or 6 points.
C. Hall had 8 uncontested turnovers that’s a possible 16 points.
We didn’t have many but we missed 3 free throws that’s a possible 3 points.
We missed 8 layups that’s a possible 16 points.
We just did not play a good game and USC did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT