ADVERTISEMENT

CARDS vs Ole Miss Game Thread

there are many other bigger issues but why the hell did we kickoff directly to the return man after the 15 yard penalty?

Yeah I didn’t understand the kickoff either and it would have been a perfect time to do it since we were kicking off from the 50.

I’m all for not giving up, but Malik has taken so many unnecessary hits in a game that’s over. His health is the biggest factor for our offense this season.

Malik didn’t start playing until the 2nd half and I do blame some of that on play calling.

I am glad to see Ole Miss take a knee that would have looked bad up by 19 keeping their starters in the entire game. I wonder do they have a 2nd string quarterback?

I kept hearing about Yaya Diaby in the off-season. However I’m not sure I heard him make any plays tonight. Was he playing?

Reactions: rh62531
I want to see Evan Conley next week.

Because Malik needs to know this, Terry Wilson and Fat Stoops carved the Ole Miss defense up last season and he couldn’t

You guys have summed it up.
Only one playmaker.
The Satterfield recruiting strategy looks pretty shaky......and some playcalling.
First game....could be a long season to improve or just a long season.

Only one playmaker.
The Satterfield recruiting strategy looks pretty shaky......and some playcalling.

Yeah the only playmaker is Cunningham. Just not recruiting enough talent.

Only one playmaker.
Bill - you seem like a nice guy but all due respect - STFU.

• Haha
Reactions: billoliver40
They have no receivers or running backs. I quit watching in the 2nd quarter. They look worse than last year. I may not watch another game. I’m ready for basketball.

Look, Satterfield didn’t recruit Cunningham. He doesn’t run your type of offense. You went out and got Conley, now put the kid in and see what he can do with your offense.
And in the games Conley played in 2019, he didn't look too much worse. It's now 2 years later and I'd like to see his progress. If Conley isn't ready in his 3rd year, then why is he still on the team?

Maybe Cunningham is simply too short and struggles to see the field. He really did bail from the pocket in the first half way too early and tried to just run for it. That may have worked in HS but it's not gonna fly @ this level. Then oddly with the game over in 2nd half he appears to go through his reads and make throws. It's the kind of performance you might expect from a FR or SOPH, but not a guy that's been around this long. I really don't get it.

I can understand why the secondary got shredded. Combine the Ole Miss pro prospects and the fact that UofL has struggled in the secondary for years, and yeah that was gonna be an issue going into this.

These are the Dark Ages!

The thing for me is that while I bought in and thought we'd do better, cause I'm a homer, but my head told me this was the likely outcome. I'm not changing my outlook based on this game, because it did not surprise me.

All offseason I posted about how good Ole Miss was and it was kind of ignored. I do think they're a very talented team and if one thing has been proven true during Scott's short tenure that we struggle against the speed and talent gap. This was an awful matchup for us as a team. We can cry $EC bias in the media all we want and there is a lot of that bias, but the $EC West has talent. Ole Miss put up points on Bama last year and we were in for a struggle.

Now the offense worries me, but at the same time it was game 1. DJ Durkin is a top DC in the nation and it's year 2 in a non COVID year. Similar to us last year, he did just need some time to coach and get his system ready. They got torched by a ALL SEC schedule, but they're better. We lost Tutu, Dez, and Fitz and also Ledford and Ponce. This is a new offense and it's not going to be easy to beat a team like that.

Yes, we should've been more competitive, but this is essentially year 2 for Scott as 2019 was year 0 considering he didn't even have a recruiting class. I've posted many times that this is the year where we feel Bobby's 2018 collapse from his lack of recruiting the lines and quitting leading to a non-existent 2018 class and mass transfers.

We have EKU as a practice game. Then we get a UCF G5 team that is a good measure of our level of talent. Then FSU and Wake. Lets see if we're sharper by then or look like we've improved. The season is not over and our offensive skill guys will be much better.

Ole Miss recruiting rankings the last 4 years, this was the difference. They have more talent. They have more expensive coaches and staff at every spot. We aren't too far removed from being the worst team in Power 5 back in 2018. Even when we were doing well, it's not like we were dominating recruiting top to bottom. This is life in the power 5, you have to have talent and it takes time to build.

#27 (6 4-stars)
#22 (6 4-stars)
#46 (4 4-stars) (20 total recruits is why they were lower)
#17 (8 4-stars)

They've brought in 24 4-stars the last 4 classes and we've brought in 6. That's the difference.

Reactions: Mayoman
The thing for me is that while I bought in and thought we'd do better, cause I'm a homer, but my head told me this was the likely outcome. I'm not changing my outlook based on this game, because it did not surprise me.

All offseason I posted about how good Ole Miss was and it was kind of ignored. I do think they're a very talented team and if one thing has been proven true during Scott's short tenure that we struggle against the speed and talent gap. This was an awful matchup for us as a team. We can cry $EC bias in the media all we want and there is a lot of that bias, but the $EC West has talent. Ole Miss put up points on Bama last year and we were in for a struggle.

Now the offense worries me, but at the same time it was game 1. DJ Durkin is a top DC in the nation and it's year 2 in a non COVID year. Similar to us last year, he did just need some time to coach and get his system ready. They got torched by a ALL SEC schedule, but they're better. We lost Tutu, Dez, and Fitz and also Ledford and Ponce. This is a new offense and it's not going to be easy to beat a team like that.

Yes, we should've been more competitive, but this is essentially year 2 for Scott as 2019 was year 0 considering he didn't even have a recruiting class. I've posted many times that this is the year where we feel Bobby's 2018 collapse from his lack of recruiting the lines and quitting leading to a non-existent 2018 class and mass transfers.

We have EKU as a practice game. Then we get a UCF G5 team that is a good measure of our level of talent. Then FSU and Wake. Lets see if we're sharper by then or look like we've improved. The season is not over and our offensive skill guys will be much better.

Ole Miss recruiting rankings the last 4 years, this was the difference. They have more talent. They have more expensive coaches and staff at every spot. We aren't too far removed from being the worst team in Power 5 back in 2018. Even when we were doing well, it's not like we were dominating recruiting top to bottom. This is life in the power 5, you have to have talent and it takes time to build.

#27 (6 4-stars)
#22 (6 4-stars)
#46 (4 4-stars) (20 total recruits is why they were lower)
#17 (8 4-stars)

They've brought in 24 4-stars the last 4 classes and we've brought in 6. That's the difference.
Tired of the excuses about lack of talent. If this is the guy who thought he could recruit at USC, he can do as good or better here. If what you say is true, maybe last nights game should have been a “practice” if we had no chance. Now we will thrash EKU (hopefully) and Malik we get his 300 yards, 4 TDS and everything will be ok, except it won’t. Why do we always get a Covid pass as if no other teams were affected? We have talented receivers in Marshall, Braden Smith, Johnson, Ford… we just didn’t have a QB who was willing to utilize them. I saw good things in Mitchell and aside from his fumbling Hall has talent as well. We’re supposed to have our best overall o-line in a few years. No more excuses.

Reactions: BPGhost
Tired of the excuses about lack of talent. If this is the guy who thought he could recruit at USC, he can do as good or better here. If what you say is true, maybe last nights game should have been a “practice” if we had no chance. Now we will thrash EKU (hopefully) and Malik we get his 300 yards, 4 TDS and everything will be ok, except it won’t. Why do we always get a Covid pass as if no other teams were affected? We have talented receivers in Marshall, Braden Smith, Johnson, Ford… we just didn’t have a QB who was willing to utilize them. I saw good things in Mitchell and aside from his fumbling Hall has talent as well. We’re supposed to have our best overall o-line in a few years. No more excuses.
Talented wideouts to me is Tutu Atwell, Dez Fitzpatrick, DeVante Parker, Jaylen Smith, Harry Douglas, Urritia,& Eli Rogers. I see potential, but just because they have names and play for us doesn't mean jack squat. None of our wideouts have done anything other than Ford outperforming his expectations, nothing other than offseason hype. The reason I'm hard on them is the fact that we're Louisville, we've seen great wideouts and great QB's, we have a higher standard.

Now will they be better? They're young and there's time, but nothing proven other than just people posting there names and coaches saying they like what they see. Not even really highly touted as recruits. Can Scott develop the guys?

We fired Ledford and let Ponce go, but did Scott really replace them? No one in charge on offense other than the HC, and that's a mistake in my opinion. If Scott would hire an OC to develop the offense and Scott could still call plays, but I don't like him calling plays. Unless you're a Lincoln Riley or Dan Mullen type offensive guru, you can't just take charge of a whole offense if you're HC. Even those guys have OC's, we don't.

So the ? is was the reason Malik wouldn't throw it in the first half because the WR were not open or because he struggled to see the field and make his reads? Or too much pressure and an O line issue? Maybe it's all of the above.

I do not know. I believe Satterfield blamed the QB in a sideline interview. If Satterfield is correct then it's probably too soon to ? the WRs.

The WR seemed to catch passes in the 2nd half, and the team had 4 scoring drives, none of which were short fields. Of all the problems with the team I do not think it's the WR right now.

Look, Satterfield didn’t recruit Cunningham. He doesn’t run your type of offense. You went out and got Conley, now put the kid in and see what he can do with your offense.
Honest question - what do you see as the big difference between the two that would create a different outcome? The only thing that I see is that Malik is faster which causes him to bail on the pocket quicker - believing that he can be LJ jr. At the end of the day - whether its Conley or Cunningham - it's still the same predictable play calling and WRs that can't beat one on one coverage.

Maybe Cunningham is simply too short and struggles to see the field. He really did bail from the pocket in the first half way too early and tried to just run for it. That may have worked in HS but it's not gonna fly @ this level. Then oddly with the game over in 2nd half he appears to go through his reads and make throws. It's the kind of performance you might expect from a FR or SOPH, but not a guy that's been around this long. I really don't get it.

I can understand why the secondary got shredded. Combine the Ole Miss pro prospects and the fact that UofL has struggled in the secondary for years, and yeah that was gonna be an issue going into this.

These are the Dark Ages!
I think that Malik has the tendency to over estimate his escapability but, when "the best O-Line in satterfield's tenure can't keep a three man front out of his face and, his WRs can't beat man coverage - what's he supposed to do? FTR - Malik is listed at 6'1" and Conley is listed as 6'2" - not sure that is going to make a bunch of difference.

Honest question - what do you see as the big difference between the two that would create a different outcome? The only thing that I see is that Malik is faster which causes him to bail on the pocket quicker - believing that he can be LJ jr. At the end of the day - whether its Conley or Cunningham - it's still the same predictable play calling and WRs that can't beat one on one coverage.
This reminds me of a lot of 2015 Reggie, Lamar, & Bolin discussion. Indecisive playcalling and turnovers, then Lamar turned it on and never looked back. Too bad we don't have Lamar.

Talented wideouts to me is Tutu Atwell, Dez Fitzpatrick, DeVante Parker, Jaylen Smith, Harry Douglas, Urritia,& Eli Rogers. I see potential, but just because they have names and play for us doesn't mean jack squat. None of our wideouts have done anything other than Ford outperforming his expectations, nothing other than offseason hype. The reason I'm hard on them is the fact that we're Louisville, we've seen great wideouts and great QB's, we have a higher standard.

Now will they be better? They're young and there's time, but nothing proven other than just people posting there names and coaches saying they like what they see. Not even really highly touted as recruits. Can Scott develop the guys?

We fired Ledford and let Ponce go, but did Scott really replace them? No one in charge on offense other than the HC, and that's a mistake in my opinion. If Scott would hire an OC to develop the offense and Scott could still call plays, but I don't like him calling plays. Unless you're a Lincoln Riley or Dan Mullen type offensive guru, you can't just take charge of a whole offense if you're HC. Even those guys have OC's, we don't.
Did we "fire" Ledford or, did he fire us for the Falcons OL job?

I think that Malik has the tendency to over estimate his escapability but, when "the best O-Line in satterfield's tenure can't keep a three man front out of his face and, his WRs can't beat man coverage - what's he supposed to do? FTR - Malik is listed at 6'1" and Conley is listed as 6'2" - not sure that is going to make a bunch of difference.
They are different players. We don't know what Conley would have done because he didn't play?

Maybe he makes quicker decisions, gets rid of the ball, or can find his 2nd option quicker. Maybe he is more shifty inside the pocket, or can actually hang in there longer without abandoning ship to give a receiver just a couple more seconds to pop open. That one extra inch might mean more than you think. That's what she said!

Reactions: Rollem Cards
They are different players. We don't know what Conley would have done because he didn't play?

Maybe he makes quicker decisions, gets rid of the ball, or can find his 2nd option quicker. Maybe he is more shifty inside the pocket, or can actually hang in there longer without abandoning ship to give a receiver just a couple more seconds to pop open. That one extra inch might mean more than you think. That's what she said!
With so few replays during the game, there was no way to really tell what was going on with the WRs but, it seems as though they couldn’t win their 1 v 1 matchups most of the night. If that’s the case, there’s no quicker decision to be made. If it was a case of dropping 6 or 7 into coverage, then the blame is on Satterfield’s play calling and for failing to prepare Cunningham for that defense.

With so few replays during the game, there was no way to really tell what was going on with the WRs but, it seems as though they couldn’t win their 1 v 1 matchups most of the night. If that’s the case, there’s no quicker decision to be made. If it was a case of dropping 6 or 7 into coverage, then the blame is on Satterfield’s play calling and for failing to prepare Cunningham for that defense.
You may be 100% I really do not know. They did get involved in 2nd half quite a bit but at that point the entire game is just getting played differently by both teams.

Hope to see some improvement in the coming weeks.

Yes we had Tutu and Dez last year, but the same criticism was on Malik last year. Failure to go through progressions, isolate on one receiver and like BP said. He over estimates his ability to escape. There are no more Lamars out there at least on this team. I see Conley as a possible, Lefors (maybe not as athletic) but certainly a will Gardner, will Stein, Bolin, who can make reads. That is the difference. It’s not like Conley can’t run. As I said, Satterfield recruited him for his type of offense, run first, pass when needed.

Yes we had Tutu and Dez last year, but the same criticism was on Malik last year. Failure to go through progressions, isolate on one receiver and like BP said. He over estimates his ability to escape. There are no more Lamars out there at least on this team. I see Conley as a possible, Lefors (maybe not as athletic) but certainly a will Gardner, will Stein, Bolin, who can make reads. That is the difference. It’s not like Conley can’t run. As I said, Satterfield recruited him for his type of offense, run first, pass when needed.
Can Conley put the ball where it needs to be to keep the chains moving?

The big thing is, what's our strength?

Malik's legs are our biggest threat, but is he hurting the wideouts or are they just not that talented?
If it's more Malik than the wideout, then maybe a safer QB like Conley is better. Maybe Conley can run the offense that Scott wants better. We have a strong line and we can dominate some weaker ACC teams, let Mitchell and Hall work some magic.

But if the receivers aren't good, then honestly Malik's playmaking ability is all we'll have for explosive plays.

Can Conley put the ball where it needs to be to keep the chains moving?

The big thing is, what's our strength?

Malik's legs are our biggest threat, but is he hurting the wideouts or are they just not that talented?
If it's more Malik than the wideout, then maybe a safer QB like Conley is better. Maybe Conley can run the offense that Scott wants better. We have a strong line and we can dominate some weaker ACC teams, let Mitchell and Hall work some magic.

But if the receivers aren't good, then honestly Malik's playmaking ability is all we'll have for explosive plays.
People keep saying we have a strong O line but I sure don’t see it. They got dominated by a three man front last night.

People keep saying we have a strong O line but I sure don’t see it. They got dominated by a three man front last night.
Hudson needs to be on the field and start. They looked way better with him on the field.

I don’t know squat. That said…..

give me QB who can pass “adequately”, and can run a little bit, than a guy who passes a little bit but runs good.

Being able to just hit short quick passes helps the run game a ton.

CSS has put the bullseye on MC with his camp comments.

In the first half MC was NOT what we were told, and the second half showed us nothing as UM was in control and was happy to let us run clock.

We ended last season calling for Conley. I’d like to at least see with my own lying eyes if he’s an option or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT