ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs FSU

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Could you imagine if 20 years ago someone would tell UofL would routinely beat FSU including two 30+ point wins?

This is not Bobby Bowden’s or even Jimbo’s Seminoles...

From their side, we're not Petrino 1.0 or Charlie's Cardinals, either. And we won, with less talent. It's just Year 1 for Norvell but not a great sign for them as far as getting back to elite status.

Could you imagine if 20 years ago someone would tell UofL would routinely beat FSU including two 30+ point wins?
I was sitting in Fairgrounds Stadium 50 years ago, watching us get clocked by Kent State, Tulsa etc. It was tough to watch, no crowd, zero atmosphere and a crappy stadium. But I do remember some ballers from that era, Tom Jackson, Dwayne Woodruff, and John Madeya to name a few.

To answer your question, I thought at some point we could develop a quality program, I just didn't think it would take as long as it did. I got to know Tom well, while I was at UL, there were so few students who lived on campus at the time. Literally, everyone that lived on campus knew each other. But, I guess that's another topic.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Wish I had more time in a day to look into what's going on at other programs. FSU appears to be trending to that Nebraska type of situation.

From their side, we're not Petrino 1.0 or Charlie's Cardinals, either. And we won, with less talent. It's just Year 1 for Norvell but not a great sign for them as far as getting back to elite status.
Ok. Let’s put an end to the excuse that we have no talent on this team and it’s Petrino’s fault. With a horrific lost to GT and a rout of FSU, the honeymoon should be over.

I was sitting in Fairgrounds Stadium 50 years ago, watching us get clocked by Kent State, Tulsa etc. It was tough to watch, no crowd, zero atmosphere and a crappy stadium. But I do remember some ballers from that era, Tom Jackson, Dwayne Woodruff, and John Madeya to name a few.

To answer your question, I thought at some point we could develop a quality program, I just didn't think it would take as long as it did. I got to know Tom well, while I was at UL, there were so few students who lived on campus at the time. Literally, everyone that lived on campus knew each other. But, I guess that's another topic.
There was great individual players throughout the years, unfortunately we never had enough or the depth to sustain most seasons. Remember Gary Inman playing safety, but forced to play quarterback due to injury to starter. He also punted!

The only one who had a “horrific” loss to GT was Bobby in 2018. He also had a “horrific” loss to Wake, and UK, and Clemson. This year, we melted down in the 4th Q vs GT. Not good, but not horrific.

Reactions: Mayoman
Wish I had more time in a day to look into what's going on at other programs. FSU appears to be trending to that Nebraska type of situation.

Yes - win a national title, and then effectively FARRRR that sonofabeyitch by running him off because he isn't winning titles every other year - you get what you get for that. Now they're stuck in the "Ring of FARRR'D" where they keep HARR'N and FARR'N and it is likely to be tough for them for a while. Your parallel to Frank Solich is spot-on.

It wasn't that long ago that Alabama was sucking for a decade under guys like Mike DuBose and Mike Shula. USC hadn't done much between the 1970's and when Pete Carroll took over, and hasn't done much in the decade since. Florida State is on that road now.

There's maybe 30 or so teams that are trying to get that next Dynasty going. But there's only ever 3-4 at most elite coaches to go around. Everyone else has to wait and keep hoping the next leap will be the leap home.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT