ADVERTISEMENT

Candidates Not Named Brohm

CardMonarch

One-Star Poster
Sep 8, 2016
Realize there's already a thread but it derailed rapidly and today provided some fresh gasoline for our dumpster fire.

I'm all ears and working google. Realistic suggestions helps ease the pain. Eyes forward.

Obscure name that I like at the moment is Jedd Fisch.

Personally want an offensive mind, established OC or skills coach. Tad younger with zero ties to BP. We've had the most success with guys trying to prove themselves i.e Bobby 1.0 and Strong.

Last edited:
Obviously the list starts with Brohm but thats not the question you asked...

I would in order after Brohm go with these guys:

1. Mike Norvell - Memphis HC
2. Brent Venebles - Clemson DC
3. Neal Brown - Troy HC

I would kick the tires on PJ Fleck - Minnesota HC and Matt Campbell ISU HC and see if they're interested but both would get a mild raise and are probably unlikely to make a lateral move. I think you could look at Seth Litteral at North Texas and Jason Candle at Toldeo....I wouldn't be above looking at Lane Kiffin either.

Jason Candle is one I find interesting. Norvell would make sense but I'd hate it. Venebles evidently has been approached by A&M and LSU and said no but I think that'd be a incredible hire.

At this point I'd take the Saxophone guy from the Card Tunnel. He'd at least try.

Would the A.D. consider
1 Skip Holtz HC LA. Tech
2 Doc Holliday HC Marshall
3. Kendall Briles OC Baylor
4 Luke Fickell (sp) HC University of Cincinnati
All of these coaches have won in situations where they had fewer resources than U of L possesses.

Would the A.D. consider
1 Skip Holtz HC LA. Tech
2 Doc Holliday HC Marshall
3. Kendall Briles OC Baylor
4 Luke Fickell (sp) HC University of Cincinnati
All of these coaches have won in situations where they had fewer resources than U of L possesses.

Unique list.....
I can't see any program touching Kendall Briles.
Luke Fickell would be a fine hire but Doc is probably too old and Skip Holtz.....I don't really have an opinion on.

Strike when the iron is hot. Bobby Wilder at Old Dominion. He’s 54 and currently 72-40 and won a Conference USA east division title in 2016. He played QB and obviously has an offensive mind.

No more ex UK coaches. No on Brown.

As crazy as it sounds, what about going after Mark Stoops? Can you imagine how badly UK fans would melt down if we were able to do that and then get their coaching staff and recruits? Bridges in the state would have to be shut down to prevent UK fans from suicide, lol.

Go after Stoops, offer him more money and the ability to actually coach at a true football school!

As crazy as it sounds, what about going after Mark Stoops? Can you imagine how badly UK fans would melt down if we were able to do that and then get their coaching staff and recruits? Bridges in the state would have to be shut down to prevent UK fans from suicide, lol.

Go after Stoops, offer him more money and the ability to actually coach at a true football school!

Good lord no.

Reactions: clyono
Good lord no.

Are you really going to disqualify a good coach just because he's at UK? I mean come on, if a coach can actually succeed at UK, one of the worst football programs in a major conference, that shows he can probably succeed almost anywhere. Imagine what he could do at a school that actually emphasizes football and doesn't just think of football as a way to pass the time until basketball season begins?

That would only happen if we hired an LPT basketball coach. Oh, wait a minute......

83cards, What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Hiring Stoops is just a spineless suggestion.

Turn in your fan card.

Obviously the list starts with Brohm but thats not the question you asked...

I would in order after Brohm go with these guys:

3. Neal Brown - Troy HC

tenor.gif

You know what's funny, you all are the idiotic ones right now. I have yet to hear any good reason not to pursue Mark Stoops other than "well he's the UK coach and we don't want a UK coach."

So let me ask you this, say Nick Saban had gone to UK instead of LSU in 2001 and turned them into a power in a couple of years before going to the NFL. Are you saying you wouldn't go after Nick Saban just because he was a UK coach?

Please give me a good reason (other than he's the UK coach) why Mark Stoops should not be considered. I hate to tell you all this but the coaching talent pool isn't that deep right now. Frost, Herman, Fisher and Petersen have all come off the board in recent years. There aren't a lot of good young coaches right now.

Mark Stoops is probably one of the best coaches that we could reasonably get. And newsflash to you, Mark Stoops is a better coach than Jeff Brohm.

Reactions: nicholjf
You know what's funny, you all are the idiotic ones right now. I have yet to hear any good reason not to pursue Mark Stoops other than "well he's the UK coach and we don't want a UK coach."

So let me ask you this, say Nick Saban had gone to UK instead of LSU in 2001 and turned them into a power in a couple of years before going to the NFL. Are you saying you wouldn't go after Nick Saban just because he was a UK coach?

Please give me a good reason (other than he's the UK coach) why Mark Stoops should not be considered. I hate to tell you all this but the coaching talent pool isn't that deep right now. Frost, Herman, Fisher and Petersen have all come off the board in recent years. There aren't a lot of good young coaches right now.

Mark Stoops is probably one of the best coaches that we could reasonably get. And newsflash to you, Mark Stoops is a better coach than Jeff Brohm.

Dude just stop.

Turn in your fan card.

Crap pawz is ----------------------------------------> way

Turn in your fan card.

You really want me to do that? Last time I checked we've already been hemorrhaging donors. With UofL going downhill my guess is we are at a great risk of losing a generation (Generation Z, those in grade school and high school right now, those whose fandom is still up for grabs) of fans. I could see a lot of current Louisville HS students becoming UK fans. Same thing happened in the 90s when UK basketball was the thing and UofL basketball was in the dumps. So with that said the last thing UofL needs is to start losing even more fans.

Dude just stop.

Turn in your fan card.

Crap pawz is ----------------------------------------> way

Still haven't given me one good reason why Mark Stoops shouldn't be considered other than he's the UK coach. If Mark Stoops had the exact same success at Ole Miss or Arkansas you would be all over him. Give me a good reason why he shouldn't be considered for the UofL coaching job.

Losing record with no bowl wins. There, I did it. They have a QB that isn't terrible and Snell is a freak. We wouldn't know anything about good players making bad coaches look decent would we? Furthermore; we have an expansion to fill and hiring Stoops wouldn't exactly bring fans out in droves. There, I did it twice. You can at least pretend to have some fandom left.

Losing record with no bowl wins. There, I did it. They have a QB that isn't terrible and Snell is a freak. We wouldn't know anything about good players making bad coaches look decent would we? Furthermore; we have an expansion to fill and hiring Stoops wouldn't exactly bring fans out in droves. There, I did it twice. You can at least pretend to have some fandom left.

At a school with no talent that traditionally never even makes bowl games. What he's done at UK (getting donors involved, upgrading facilities, raising their recruiting profile) is absolutely a miracle and I am reasonable enough to give him credit for that.

Stoops would bring an SEC toughness that our team is lacking right now. That's the big difference I've noticed the last year and a half. Petrino's teams have become soft while Stoops teams are very old school in terms of running the football and being tough on the line.

I truly believe Stoops would have the potential to have us competing with Clemson in the ACC, something Petrino is not going to do.

And again I'm sorry but I'm not impressed with Brohm, he's done nothing to show me he's ready to have us competing against Clemson and possibly winning the ACC. Stoops has shown me that he could have us beating Clemson and possibly winning the ACC. Why you all want a coach that has proven absolutely nothing at the P5 level is beyond me.

And again I'm sorry but I'm not impressed with Brohm, he's done nothing to show me he's ready to have us competing against Clemson and possibly winning the ACC.
Right now I'd be happy to have a coach that can compete against Virginia and beat WKU and Indiana State without looking like a pile of dog crap.

Stoops will probably get UK to a major bowl game this year, potentially even a New Year's Six Bowl Game. Comprehend that for a second. UK could end up being in the Sugar Bowl or Peach Bowl. And even if UK doesn't make it that far, they are looking like a lock for either the Citrus Bowl or Outback Bowl. Meanwhile, we will be sitting at home watching.

(As a side note, given that I live in the Orlando area if they come here it will make me sick seeing all that UK garb invade the city, even if just for a day. Luckily it would just be a day or two because we all know Orlando is an expensive destination and most UK fans couldn't afford it. But hey, for those UK fans reading this, because I've seen your posts on Cats Illustrated, you can always stay in Ocala to save money, lol. By the way, I'm glad you all are getting to enjoy what we've enjoyed for the majority of the last 20 years, a good (not great, Miss State is overrated) football team.)

So Stoops will get UK to a major, if not NY6, bowl game. And if it is a NY6 bowl game that will something Petrino 2.0 has failed to do, even with Lamar Jackson. And last time I checked winning, above everything else, gets boosters and fans excited. It would also bring the added bonus of being absolutely horrible for UK fans, wondering how far he could've taken them and where he's taking us instead, lol.

Right now I'd be happy to have a coach that can compete against Virginia and beat WKU and Indiana State without looking like a pile of dog crap.

But wouldn't you rather get a coach like Stoops who can get us to a major, if not NY6, bowl game? Instead of a coach who will probably just get us a bunch of 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 seasons. I'm sorry but I can't see why there is the love for Brohm other than being a Louisville legend. He has not proven himself at the P5 level yet.

What,
Are you two those fans that like both, except when theyre playing each other ?

Stoops is garbage. He was hot garbage, now he's just garbage.
Fools gold. Flash in the pan. Smoke and mirrors.

Id rather keep the thief Petrino or rehire Kragdud than to EVEN interview that
tub of lard.

You were doing good, now youre taking a left turn. Pump the brakes.

And BTW, for the UK fans reading this on Cats Illustrated, cute little team you have this year. Our 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013 and 2016 teams would absolutely have manhandled your team you have this year. So just remember, your best team in the last 40 years would probably be equal to our sixth best team in the last 20 years, lol.

Congrats though on beating a Miss State team that will be lucky to make a bowl game. They'll be 5 - 6 and 5th in the SEC West going into the Egg Bowl. But I guess a win over Miss State is a big deal for you all, lol.

But wouldn't you rather get a coach like Stoops who can get us to a major, if not NY6, bowl game? Instead of a coach who will probably just get us a bunch of 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 seasons. I'm sorry but I can't see why there is the love for Brohm other than being a Louisville legend. He has not proven himself at the P5 level yet.
Stoops is not a great coach by any stretch. He did recruit some talented players though. I'd probably give Brohm a shot before hiring him.

What,
Are you two those fans that like both, except when theyre playing each other ?

Stoops is garbage. He was hot garbage, now he's just garbage.
Fools gold. Flash in the pan. Smoke and mirrors.

Id rather keep the thief Petrino or rehire Kragdud than to EVEN interview that
tub of lard.

You were doing good, now youre taking a left turn. Pump the brakes.
What are you talking about? Where did I say I had any interest in Stoops?

If you think this fan base and donors would grow from hiring Stoops you're nuts dude. Seriously. We're better off seeing which OC from a top 20 program emerges with all these staff changes and give him his crack as a HC or poach a smaller schools HC making a splash.

Jeff Monken at Army, Cale Gundy Oklahoma, James Chaney Georgia, Jedd Fisch Rams former UCLA, Jason Candle all better hires.

Number one reason for Stoops is he has poor body of success, despite how impressive you think it is and (clearly) even the idea of it causes a riot and makes our leadership look like a bunch of whimps. It perpetuates little brother syndrome and the man viscerally hates UofL. Oh and even mediocre Bobby still wins that game majority of the time.

Kerry no I absolutely hate UK, my secondary team (who might just become my primary team for this year) is WVU. My entire family is originally from Louisville and still live in Louisville (me being the exception) but I spent half of my childhood years (10 year approximately) growing up in West Virginia. Specifically for those 10 years we lived about 20 miles south of Morgantown. My dad worked at the FBI center in Clarksburg.

My dad wanted me to go to his alma mater (St. X) so he sent us back to Louisville while he commuted. I graduated from St. X and then went on to graduate from UofL. UofL is my primary team while WVU is my secondary team. Needless to say I always hated when they played each other but always tear up when I hear Country Roads.

Reactions: genowe
Stoops is not a great coach by any stretch. He did recruit some talented players though. I'd probably give Brohm a shot before hiring him.

I respect your opinion but I completely disagree. I'd rather give Stoops three years and then if it doesn't work out and Brohm has improved then give Brohm the chance. Brohm hasn't proven enough to me yet.

If you think this fan base and donors would grow from hiring Stoops you're nuts dude. Seriously. We're better off seeing which OC from a top 20 program emerges with all these staff changes and give him his crack as a HC or poach a smaller schools HC making a splash.

You might want to deny it, but fans care about one thing, winning. At the end of the day winning is all that matters. If Stoops came in here and got us to 10 - 2 Cardinal Stadium would be sold out and the money would be pouring in. I can tell you right now that money isn't going to be pouring in with the product Petrino is putting out there.

Winning is what matters and all of you would forget that Stoops even coached UK if he won big here at UofL.

Or Les miles because that's a pipe dream.

Why do people love Les Miles? When he was at LSU he probably had more talent than Saban did at Alabama and still was mediocre once the SEC West upgraded their coaches. With Louisville talent he would be a .500 coach maybe.

Why do people love Les Miles? When he was at LSU he probably had more talent than Saban did at Alabama and still was mediocre once the SEC West upgraded their coaches. With Louisville talent he would be a .500 coach maybe.

I've never understood the Les Miles appeal either. There's a reason no other school have shown any interests in him. With all the talent he had at LSU he underachieved big time. I agreed that Les Miles would be a 6 - 6 coach here at UofL.

I respect your opinion but I completely disagree. I'd rather give Stoops three years and then if it doesn't work out and Brohm has improved then give Brohm the chance. Brohm hasn't proven enough to me yet.

Stoops is 30-36 in 5+ years at UK without a bowl win. Brohm won a bowl game in year 1 after the worst stretch in Purdue history.

I've just seen the name tossed around and wanted to limit the absurd suggestions. Yet here we are on Stoops. Thinking 7-6 at UK is enough for 10 wins consistently at UofL when he loses to us pretty consistently. The idea is just outlandish.

He's recruited a few good guys but he's not that great with the X's and O's and I'm sorry but it cant be ignored its a terrible PR move and our fiscal issue demnds immediate attendance. People would start going if he was successful but If we're shelling out 4+ million we can find a coach that fans would be immediately excited to see for the fresh look. We've watched Stoops for years, nothing new and exciting there. They've got a good team this year, not going to deny it but handing over the keys to our renovated palace would be folly at best. One good year doesn't earn that and citing UK upgrading from literal bleacher seats as a marker of success means nothing. We can do better.

I've just seen the name tossed around and wanted to limit the absurd suggestions. Yet here we are on Stoops. Thinking 7-6 at UK is enough for 10 wins consistently at UofL when he loses to us pretty consistently. The idea is just outlandish.

He's recruited a few good guys but he's not that great with the X's and O's and I'm sorry but it cant be ignored its a terrible PR move and our fiscal issue demnds immediate attendance. People would start going if he was successful but If we're shelling out 4+ million we can find a coach that fans would be immediately excited to see for the fresh look. We've watched Stoops for years, nothing new and exciting there. They've got a good team this year, not going to deny it but handing over the keys to our renovated palace would be folly at best. One good year doesn't earn that and citing UK upgrading from literal bleacher seats as a marker of success means nothing. We can do better.

Dont entertain rubbish.

Reactions: CardMonarch
Are you really going to disqualify a good coach just because he's at UK? I mean come on, if a coach can actually succeed at UK, one of the worst football programs in a major conference, that shows he can probably succeed almost anywhere. Imagine what he could do at a school that actually emphasizes football and doesn't just think of football as a way to pass the time until basketball season begins?

I was thinking you were being sarcastic but your 12 posts touting Stoops seem to refute that theory.

I’ll make this simple. 1) we’ve spent the past several years hoping that Stoops wasn’t fired because we don’t think he is a good coach, 2)during his tenure the SEC East has been historically bad and yet he has nothing to show for that ineptitude 3) yes he has a good squad this year. But this is a completely upperclassmen led squad in a bad division (except for Georgia).

Reactions: RLB31384
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT