ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm would kill at Louisville

Lol - I guess that makes you part of the Sunbelt Scotty Slurpers?
Derogatory name calling is a losing position that lacks substance. Try harder.

For better or for worse, CSS is the Cards coach at this point in time...therefore he has my support as I am a fan of the team...not the coach or AD.

One of the reasons people can't fully get behind CSS. He has to hear this crap too. Who would blame him if he left? Have to constantly hear a group of folks always bringing a barely above .500 coach to take his job. All bc he played QB here 30+ years ago. I think that is ignorant. I'm behind you Coach Satt!!!
That has been the argument on here for the last year!!! Are you really upgrading???

Look, I've said it 100 times, if Satt leaves and we hire Brohm, I will support him 1000% I just don't understand the contingent that wants to fire Satt to go and hire Brohm. That's what is aggravating.
It's not rocket science. What's not to understand? Now you can have a different opinion. That's quite alright and I certainly wouldn't misuse the word ignorant and call you that.

I would tell you I disagree. I think Brohm is a much better offensive play caller than Satterfield. I really don't know who's the better head coach but I would lean to Brohm because be has defeated many more ranked teams than Satterfield has.

There's also the fact that Brohm is a Louisville native and a former Cards star who would add the much needed stability here at UofL.

In terms of their numbers, both coaches look about even, but there's little to no doubt that Brohm has done more with less talent than Satterfield. If Purdue beats Michigan today would that change your mind? I'm sure it wouldn't and you would probably still call people ignorant for having a different opinion.

IGNORANT: Lacking knowledge or awareness in general. Uneducated or unsophisticated. [Dictionary]

Now do you know why not to use the word ignorant against people who just have a different opinion?

Derogatory name calling is a losing position that lacks substance. Try harder.

For better or for worse, CSS is the Cards coach at this point in time...therefore he has my support as I am a fan of the team...not the coach or AD.
I believe that is in response to being called ignorant in a pejorative manner. I mean I believe most Cards fans have an opinion Satterfield vs Brohm. What is there to be ignorant of? It's being used to show contempt.

I believe that is in response to being called ignorant in a pejorative manner. I mean I believe most Cards fans have an opinion Satterfield vs Brohm. What is there to be ignorant of? It's being used to show contempt.
No, my comment is in direct reply to the poster I post quoted and not to you or anyone else. His words were lame and inaccurate...so I said as much.

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
IMO opinion...he is not.

He himself denied himself that possibility in the hiring process that produced CSS as the chosen one by spurning the possibility.

Michigan will destroy Purdue today. I want the Boilers to win just to upset the FF pundits picking acumen...and to blow up the system.

I think there is no doubt Brohm as HC would result in an attendance increase.

I think there is no doubt Brohm as HC would result in an attendance increase.
Only your speculation.

No way to confirm or deny right now since he is not the coach or soon to be hired coach. And with our fickle fan base there is no guarantee that would happen anyways in this economy and next years economy with a looming predicted recession.

No, my comment is in direct reply to the poster I post quoted and not to you or anyone else. His words were lame and inaccurate...so I said as much.
You might argue that my words were capricious and arbitrary but, they weren’t “lame and inaccurate” - as that make no sense. Perhaps as RealVille suggested, you should stick to words that you are able to use in the correct context.

Only your speculation.

No way to confirm or deny right now since he is not the coach or soon to be hired coach. And with our fickle fan base there is no guarantee that would happen anyways in this economy and next years economy with a looming predicted recession.
This is such an absurd take, I doubt you even believe it.

Yes we can both walk away happy??? I bow to your much more superior intellect and knowledge of the English vocabulary. Zipp wannabe.

Reactions: Louis III
Now just look at the creative play calling by Brohm on Purdue's 2nd possession. It's night and day with what Satterfield does.

And these refs apparently have been told not to let Michigan lose. Two plays had to be reversed on review that were obvious. In the first quarter.

IMO opinion...he is not.

He himself denied himself that possibility in the hiring process that produced CSS as the chosen one by spurning the possibility.

Michigan will destroy Purdue today. I want the Boilers to win just to upset the FF pundits picking acumen...and to blow up the system.
Michigan may well still “destroy” Purdue tonight but, that sure was an impressive drive. Really good play calling by Brohm.

Now just look at the creative play calling by Brohm on Purdue's 2nd possession. It's night and day with what Satterfield does.

And these refs apparently have been told not to let Michigan lose. Two plays had to be reversed on review that were obvious. In the first quarter.
Love the fire and fight that Brohm brings. Stands in stark contrast to good ole Satt who looks like he should be coaching with a piece of straw in his mouth…

Love the fire and fight that Brohm brings. Stands in stark contrast to good ole Satt who looks like he should be coaching with a piece of straw in his mouth…
spit take GIF

This Purdue game really affirms my opinion that it's offensive play calling and overall offensive philosophy that shows Brohm towers over Satterfield.

If Satterfield hired Brohm as OC, I would definitely be optimistic about the future, but of course that's not happening.

Now Satterfield's philosophy could work with the right roster, but it's not on par with what Cards fans remember of the glory days. Petrino 1.0 is what Brohm strides for. Feed the studs. Get your playmaker in open spaces. Throw to the backs. Use misdirection more.

I don't know if either Brohm or Satterfield are good head coaches. The jury is still out on both. What I do know is I pull what's left of my hair out when watching Satterfield's offense, and I envy and long for the offense Brohm employs.

Any offense will work with the right pieces but they have to get the players to make their offense to work. The problem for both is they don’t get enough of those pieces. Both offenses are inconsistent which isn’t surprising. Brohm offense was really good with Moore/Bell with a NFL QB. Satterfield offense was really good with Becton, Hawkins and Atwell.

Here is what we know in college football. You have to do both on offense. The best teams run the ball and have a good passing attack. Brohms passing game is light years ahead of Satterfields.

I will agree a good passing game is more likely the key to beating ranked opponents. Good teams can take away the run especially when you aren’t elite like Michigan or UGA.

I hope Satterfield focuses more on the passing game this off season. It does need to improve.

Just curious and, honestly, don't have time to look it up but how many B1G West teams fired their coaches during Purdue's meteoric rise to the Championship game? How many of those teams experienced complete nose dives where an 8-4 team was able to win their division?
Purdue did beat Florida international 28-26.

“Play calling”, sorry but trying to assign either coach credit for successful play calling without consideration to the QB’s talent and execution is missing the point.

The comparison of the skill sets between O’Connell and Cunningham are vastly different from one another. O’Connell threw the ball 47 times last night and ran for minus 36 yards. If Brohm and Satterfield exchanged QBs, does anyone believe the play calling would not be reversed?

Jeff‘s as good as any QB and passing game coach in college football, which qualifies him as terrific OC. However, there is very little balance in the Purdue offense between run and pass. Some of that is about the opponent, but take a look at the number of passing attempts vs rushing and you can see that Jeff is following his own offensive philosophy and using the strength of his QB to throw the football.

Personally, I prefer Satterfield’s approach to offensive football, establish emphasis on a physical running game first, and if you are blessed with a QB who can read the field and throw consistently ….. you have a chance to execute a 50/50 balanced offense that can compete with anyone. Malik was injured and less than 100% for most of this season, and losing two talented and experienced WRs to transfer made it difficult to meet preseason expectation.

There are few college football teams where one cannot find a certain series where “play calling” looks great, as the players executed perfectly. I can recall when UL enjoyed a few successful offensive series against a very good Clemson defense, but was it a result of superior play calling or execution?

When O’Connell threw those two interception, was Jeff’s play calling responsible for the consequences, or was that on execution? I think the latter.

“Play calling”, sorry but trying to assign either coach credit for successful play calling without consideration to the QB’s talent and execution is missing the point.

The comparison of the skill sets between O’Connell and Cunningham are vastly different from one another. O’Connell threw the ball 47 times last night and ran for minus 36 yards. If Brohm and Satterfield exchanged QBs, does anyone believe the play calling would not be reversed?

Jeff‘s as good as any QB and passing game coach in college football, which qualifies him as terrific OC. However, there is very little balance in the Purdue offense between run and pass. Some of that is about the opponent, but take a look at the number of passing attempts vs rushing and you can see that Jeff is following his own offensive philosophy and using the strength of his QB to throw the football.

Personally, I prefer Satterfield’s approach to offensive football, establish emphasis on a physical running game first, and if you are blessed with a QB who can read the field and throw consistently ….. you have a chance to execute a 50/50 balanced offense that can compete with anyone. Malik was injured and less than 100% for most of this season, and losing two talented and experienced WRs to transfer made it difficult to meet preseason expectation.

There are few college football teams where one cannot find a certain series where “play calling” looks great, as the players executed perfectly. I can recall when UL enjoyed a few successful offensive series against a very good Clemson defense, but was it a result of superior play calling or execution?

When O’Connell threw those two interception, was Jeff’s play calling responsible for the consequences, or was that on execution? I think the latter.
Never has anyone typed so much, to say so little. Your last two paragraphs sum up how little you really understand football.

Brohm had to employ a current walk on at RB while Satterfield at times this year had 4 good backs to choose from.

Do you remember Brohm at WKU? His offensive philosophy comes from Petrino and they employ the rushing game quite a bit. I remember when UofL was looked at as a passing offense under Petrino 1.0, but it was almost a 50/50 run pass ratio.

It's fine if you prefer Satterfield's philosophy, but I certainly do not. It is true a OC is as good as his players ability to perform but there's no question in my mind that Brohm has done much more with less talent than Satterfield. I would very much like to see Brohm here with the class that's coming in.

But I understand why that's not going to happen. Satterfield turned the season around, but it wasn't due to his offensive play calling. It's like I said many times. He's probably a good coach who needs to relinquish the play calling on offense.

I think he understands football just fine. It just depends how you view offense. To be honest I wish the 2 coached together.

The numbers don’t lie.

Purdue and Louisville are ranked 54 and 56 they are separated by 1 yard per game. They both faced similar number of teams ranked in Top 25 in total defense.

Purdue does it with passing and Louisville is more run based. Louisville is more balanced based off the numbers. Louisville has also had better offensive numbers than Purdue 3-4 years Satterfield has been at Louisville.

Purdue doesn’t run the ball it is terrible.
2019—126
2020-124
2021-127
2022-97

Their class recruiting rankings are similar. I think Brohm is doing what he can based off his OLine.

The numbers show Satterfield has to fix is passing game. It isn’t as bad as Brohm’s running game but it needs to get better for the offense to go to the next level.

Reactions: HiStepper
So you're saying... they're close.

:)
Ha-ridiculously but one guy is a genius and the other is a stooge.

Last point I do wish Satterfield would reach out to Hunter Cantwell, Chris Redman and Dave Ragone just talk passing game. It is the one thing holding his offense back. Maybe this was a Malik issue, we shall see.

Reactions: Deeva
You can compare numbers/stats until the cows come home, but there is a very palpable difference in the toughness of these two coaches and it is reflected in the play of their respective teams. After watching the game last night, count me among those who are all in on Brohm. That was a ballsey performance by the coach’s play calling, QB and team. That is what Brohm brings to the table that Satt just can’t provide. It’s visible, tangible And something for which there is no substitute. You’ve got it or you don’t and sadly, Satt doesn’t.

You have to be able to run the ball in Big Boy FB. Being raked 209th in rushing yards is not the way for winning and controlling tough games. MI was never in any real danger of losing that game.

IMO…Brohm is the one guy that we can get that would get asses in the seats at the stadium.
That makes no sense to me. Why in the blue hell would Brohm being Coach matter to attendance other than maybe to those who know the family? I’ve never met Jeff or Brian. I’m not Catholic. I didn’t go to Trinity (or St X). Other than the fact that Brohm was a good QB at Louisville a long time ago, I don’t know that the majority of the fan base has any affinity to Jeff than any other Coach.

Totally agree regarding the imentertaining product, but this year had a big hit and active defense that was GREAT at home and people still didn’t attend games. If Louisville fans need high scoring offense to be entertained then we don’t like winning, we just like scoring.

Of course, the majority of our fans don’t how to shut the heck up when our team is on offense, so our collective football IQ is questionable anyway.

That makes no sense to me. Why in the blue hell would Brohm being Coach matter to attendance other than maybe to those who know the family? I’ve never met Jeff or Brian. I’m not Catholic. I didn’t go to Trinity (or St X). Other than the fact that Brohm was a good QB at Louisville a long time ago, I don’t know that the majority of the fan base has any affinity to Jeff than any other Coach.

Totally agree regarding the imentertaining product, but this year had a big hit and active defense that was GREAT at home and people still didn’t attend games. If Louisville fans need high scoring offense to be entertained then we don’t like winning, we just like scoring.

Of course, the majority of our fans don’t how to shut the heck up when our team is on offense, so our collective football IQ is questionable anyway.

He plays an entertaining brand of offense. And he has a huge connection to the build up of the program. For better or worse he feels like one of us.

He plays an entertaining brand of offense. And he has a huge connection to the build up of the program. For better or worse he feels like one of us.
Not to mention - it is apparent by the declining numbers - the fan base does not connect with Satterfield. Whose fault that is doesn’t really matter - there is zero buzz around the program since year one of his tenure.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I know, I know the eye test is more important than the actual results.

Scoring offense
2020-Louisville 77 Purdue 70
2021-Louisville 41 Purdue 59
2020-Louisville 55 Purdue 73
2019-Louisville 30 Purdue 87

Just to be clear the argument is fans will be more excited to score less. Interesting take. Damn numbers 🤔

It's not rocket science. What's not to understand? Now you can have a different opinion. That's quite alright and I certainly wouldn't misuse the word ignorant and call you that.

I would tell you I disagree. I think Brohm is a much better offensive play caller than Satterfield. I really don't know who's the better head coach but I would lean to Brohm because be has defeated many more ranked teams than Satterfield has.

There's also the fact that Brohm is a Louisville native and a former Cards star who would add the much needed stability here at UofL.

In terms of their numbers, both coaches look about even, but there's little to no doubt that Brohm has done more with less talent than Satterfield. If Purdue beats Michigan today would that change your mind? I'm sure it wouldn't and you would probably still call people ignorant for having a different opinion.

IGNORANT: Lacking knowledge or awareness in general. Uneducated or unsophisticated. [Dictionary]

Now do you know why not to use the word ignorant against people who just have a different opinion?
For the record, I didn't call you

For the record, I didn't call you ignorant, the post or idea, yeah I think that is ignorant.

Yes, four very good RBs, but injuries interrupted that opportunity. If you go back to the preseason expectations, most everyone conceded that UL needed to avoid injuries if it expected to have the level of success that so many anticipated.

I am not trying to find excuses for Satterfield, but be honest and examine what Malik experienced in terms of multiple late hits to the head, and his subsequent injuries that required a first year transfer to step in At QBS. Then look at how many games where we were without Evans or Cooley. Losing Lole before the first game was unexpected.

Injuries affect all teams, some more than others. Look at NCST without their QB, or UK playing an injured Levis for the middle part of the season …… but then he returns close to 100% against us, while Cunningham is still less than 80%, and Evans is no where to be found.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT