ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Brohm named QBs coach at WKU

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Per Brett McMurphy

@McMurphyESPN. Former UL QB Brian Brohm named QB coach at Western Kentucky, working for his older brother Jeff.

Congratulations and best of luck to Brian, this is a great opportunity for him.

Reactions: SoulSr
Agreed. I guess being a backup in the CFL isn't exactly a beeline to an NFL job. I will say this- there are plenty of mediocre QBs in the league and it really depends on circumstances as to who manages to hang on and who doesn't.

By the way, where's that guy complaining about nepotism in University hiring?

That might be me. Let's see QB for a orange bowl champion. Drafted by GB Packers. Played a couple of years. Went to CFL. I would say he's qualified. What's on Nick Petrinos resume that says he should be a WR coach?

That might be me. Let's see QB for a orange bowl champion. Drafted by GB Packers. Played a couple of years. Went to CFL. I would say he's qualified. What's on Nick Petrinos resume that says he should be a WR coach?

I'm going to say he has been around his father's coaching his entire life. I remember seeing him on the field at practices during Petrino's first stint at UofL. I'm sure he knows his father's offense inside and out, not to mention he knows what his father expects from players and coaches. Just my guess on Petrino's thought process.

I'm going to say he has been around his father's coaching his entire life. I remember seeing him on the field at practices during Petrino's first stint at UofL. I'm sure he knows his father's offense inside and out, not to mention he knows what his father expects from players and coaches. Just my guess on Petrino's thought process.

None of that changes the fact that it is still 'nepotism'. Happens all the time in the coaching business though. Circle the wagons type of hire maybe?

None of that changes the fact that it is still 'nepotism'. Happens all the time in the coaching business though. Circle the wagons type of hire maybe?

I'll call it creating a family environment in the sports program. ;) It's worked pretty well for us on several fronts. Richard Pitino was a very good asst. coach for us. Paul Petrino was an integral part of our most successful 4 year run in history. The Brohm family was boom for our football program. And Mark Jurich seems to be a rising star as our Associate AD. I don't have any complaints of those family ties...do you?

Last edited:
As long as they are otherwise qualified and have earned it based on merit and not name.

Lends credence to 'knowing the right people' in order to get your career jump started

Also, on the flip side, makes it a lot harder to fire someone when they under perform.o_O Then family ties can get a little more challenging than a non-family tie would be.

Steelers,

Paul Petrino was a coach at three other places before he came to U of L. Richard was an asst at three schools before U of L. Jurich played in the minors. The only thing I am hearing about Nicks resume is that he hung around his dad all the time.

Steelers,

Paul Petrino was a coach at three other places before he came to U of L. Richard was an asst at three schools before U of L. Jurich played in the minors. The only thing I am hearing about Nicks resume is that he hung around his dad all the time.

Your taking this more seriously than I am. I will trust in Coach Petrino and Tom Jurich's judgement on this hire, like all the others. His track isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.

Setting the pass reception record at the U and playing wideout in the NFL for 8 years wasn't enough to cement his predecessor (Lamar Thomas) in the job.

Collegiate/NFL performance doesn't necessarily indicate top-flight coaching performance, and vice versa...

Not questioning the dismissal of Thomas, but whether the new hire was the best choice or if it was done out of family loyalty?
Your question was Petrino's resume and the strength of one with a lot of big-time football experience, e.g., Lamar Thomas. Yet, side by side, it was Petrino who could and did manage the position coaching...

Now I understand you zipp. You have a lack of reading comprehension. The people in question was a comparison of Brian brohm being hired by his brother in comparison to Nick Petrino being hired by his dad. Nothing to do with Thomas..

Now I understand you zipp. You have a lack of reading comprehension. The people in question was a comparison of Brian brohm being hired by his brother in comparison to Nick Petrino being hired by his dad. Nothing to do with Thomas..
As I understand, you had no problem with Jeff Brohm hiring his brother, but you have a problem with Bobby hiring his son. And you distinguish the two situations by the strength of Brian's resume compared to Nick's.

I presented you a situation in Lamar Thomas who has an equal or better resume by your standards--big time football playing experience--than Brian Brohm's. Yet, by all reports and appearances, it was Nick Petrino who did most of the WR coaching at U of L because Lamar Thomas couldn't or wouldn't get that job done. So evidently, your viewpoint as to resume qualifications and being able to coach doesn't hold water.

Who again has the reading comprehension problem?? o_O

Reactions: ALLNCARD
Trivia question...

Does any other college nationally have two football coaches who played QB at the same school, but NOT at the school they're coaching at?

And if so, are any of them BROTHERS??

Ok. Then you are talking about the Heltons, Clay and Tyson at USC. Both played QB at Houston, albeit clay for only two years. First played at auburn befor transferring.

Last edited:
Ok. Then you are talking about the Heltons, Clay and Tyson at USC. Both played QB at Houston, albeit clay for only two years. First played at auburn befor transferring.
Good find. Are you that knowledgeable about football coaches, or are you googling this info somehow?

I hate nepotism no matter where it happens and know its not permitted by many publicly held corporations. For some reason it's tolerated in sports and politics and is a common practice by a ton of head coaches, ADs, and politicians. But, it's just flat wrong IMHO and amounts to feathering the family nest with public funds. I believe its highly unlikely that the best candidate for a position just happens to be a close relative.

Coaching and playing are different skills. Bill Bellichick, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, the list goes on of great coaches who were not great players (Lombardi didn't even play professionally). Therefore, the resume based on what kind of player you are is no real resume at all. It's almost irrelevant.

That said, this is a clear case of nepotism. If Brian wants to coach, he should go back, be a grad assistant (under CBP is fine) and work his way up that way. We UL fans remember the Brohms fondly and tend to give them a pass on this type of thing, but it is what it is.

Reactions: zipp
I have no issues with Brian... Because of his pedigree and because of successful college and short professional career. I will say this sometimes you can learn a lot more about the game itself by holding a clipboard than you can trying to play a single position. Dad coached all 3 sons to various levels of success and each are now coaches as well. On the other hand, I don't see the same connection with Nick Petrino, although he also played under Oscar. But I can definitely see how it can occur, Bobby played and coached under his dad along with his brother.

Coaching and playing are different skills...
This is exactly right. And blurring that difference shows how little some of us know about what it takes to be a good coach.

Pick your sport and make a list of great coaches who were star players. Then make a second list in that same sport of great coaches who were not. Almost guarantee you--"almost" because I'm not a sports junky--that second list is longer than the first...

I hate nepotism no matter where it happens and know its not permitted by many publicly held corporations. For some reason it's tolerated in sports and politics and is a common practice by a ton of head coaches, ADs, and politicians. But, it's just flat wrong IMHO and amounts to feathering the family nest with public funds. I believe its highly unlikely that the best candidate for a position just happens to be a close relative.
Depends on your criteria... If the coach values someone who thinks and sees things like himself, Bobby may well have picked the ideal candidate in Nick.

How many other coaching candidates would Petrino have known and influenced personally and thoroughly for the last 25 years?

If those factors are what's most important to the head coach, hiring Nick was a great opportunity...

This is exactly right. And blurring that difference shows how little some of us know about what it takes to be a good coach.

Pick your sport and make a list of great coaches who were star players. Then make a second list in that same sport of great coaches who were not. Almost guarantee you--"almost" because I'm not a sports junky--that second list is longer than the first...
Let's see Zipp. In 2013, 115 of the 125 FBS football coaches played college football. From 1927, the next 86 NC coaches all played college football. Now where you are missing the point is that Brian brohm was a really good college player but yet I would not call him a great player (see Steve Spurrier). Also jay gruden seems to be doing ok. They don't have to be great college players but it sure doesn't hurt to have played in college.

Let's see Zipp. In 2013, 115 of the 125 FBS football coaches played college football. From 1927, the next 86 NC coaches all played college football. Now where you are missing the point is that Brian brohm was a really good college player but yet I would not call him a great player (see Steve Spurrier). Also jay gruden seems to be doing ok. They don't have to be great college players but it sure doesn't hurt to have played in college.
You have tried to correlate accomplishments playing football with coaching ability...

"...Let's see QB for a orange bowl champion. Drafted by GB Packers. Played a couple of years. Went to CFL. I would say he's qualified. What's on Nick Petrinos resume that says he should be a WR coach?..."

"...[Brohm's] successful college and short professional career..."
That much is clear. "Played college football" is now watering it down. Next time it will be "watched football" to make your point.

BTW, Nick has played it, and I have watched it... :)

Last edited:
Cmon be clear and for once answer questions directly instead of your 360 spins. Nick played at what college? College of BP? Thousands of guys played HS football but the only difference is their last name is not Petrino. And if you watched it, it certainly doesn't show.

Cmon be clear and for once answer questions directly instead of your 360 spins. Nick played at what college? College of BP? Thousands of guys played HS football but the only difference is their last name is not Petrino. And if you watched it, it certainly doesn't show.
I think Nick played at Georgetown, but I'm not sure about that. Doesn't matter anyway because your analysis is flawed. Your standard now of "played football" in your response underscores that...

Wrong! Redshirted at Georgetown, so I will use your typical summation, you made an error, therefore all your posts in regards to this thread are thereby erroneous or "flawed". Please at least check the validity of your statements before you post. It really doesn't become you.

Wrong! Redshirted at Georgetown, so I will use your typical summation, you made an error, therefore all your posts in regards to this thread are thereby erroneous or "flawed". Please at least check the validity of your statements before you post. It really doesn't become you.
Great analysis again. I said I wasn't sure, and I would have checked if it mattered. The guy played in a solid program and under great coaching at THS, and he's talked football shop with his Dad since he was a kid. If Dad's a fan, so am I.

He's your new coach--learn to embrace it, or embarrass yourself hating it...

He's not my coach, he's U of L's coach and last I look your name is not on the roster. Plus you just got through dishing a Director of basketball operations because of a photo. Want me to send you the mugshot of Nick Petrino?

He's not my coach, he's U of L's coach and last I look your name is not on the roster. Plus you just got through dishing a Director of basketball operations because of a photo. Want me to send you the mugshot of Nick Petrino?
Starting at left tackle.....number 77.....Zipp!

If he's not your coach, then you pull for another team. Now, stray off topic with a debate about that.

:rolleyes:

I'll be convinced when you send me a picture of Nick Petrino mugging with the players he oversees like this...

McGee%20Composite-reduced_zpsidp1dbiw.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT