ADVERTISEMENT

Battle for the Victory Bell

It’s also humorous that some in our fanbase wanna trash Cincy for hiring a coach that we were fine paying $3+ million a year for a couple more years. Sounds like our standards for a coach were more the same, than different…
You don't seem to understand this. The fans aren't trashing Cincy, they are thanking Cincy, and trashing Satt.

Good luck vs OU next week. OU may be disinterested.

Reactions: BPGhost
If Cincy hadn’t bailed us out, we’d still be stuck with Brohm’s sloppy seconds from 2018.

And that’s because we’re out of money—due to the many documented bad decisions that stupid, misguided U of L administrators made—and had no choice regardless of what fans wanted. Any confidence or smugness emanating from these circumstances at Cincy are totally misplaced.

The old regime is a distant memory. Except for fond recollections like “trajectory,” I’m totally engrossed in what the new cats are doing. Join me…
Lots of wasted breath on sentences that begin with "if". IIRC - Brohm and his staff are being paid more collectively than sunbelt scotty and his cohorts - and, more than scatterfield asked for in his extension discussions.

Guess that despite all those bad decisions didn't stop UofL from hiring the coach that it, and the fans wanted.

Lol - "The old regime is a distant memory"...

Reactions: CardsFirst
Lots of wasted breath on sentences that begin with "if". IIRC - Brohm and his staff are being paid more collectively than sunbelt scotty and his cohorts - and, more than scatterfield asked for in his extension discussions.

Guess that despite all those bad decisions didn't stop UofL from hiring the coach that it, and the fans wanted...
Well, Saterfield gave us $3 million for Year 1. And when I look at the budget, I see where the new regime is supposedly getting a lotta money this year from sources TBD (like an 8% in increase in men's basketball ticket sales...good luck to them).

When you look at the situation longer term as I do--and not just YOY--you see what an illusion higher revenues this year may be. We dipped below 30,000 advance season tickets sales last year for the first time that I can find data for. Recall the new stadium seated 42K in 1998.

Lowering the bar so far that you reach it is that very illusion. It's dismal season ticket sales last year. It's Kenny Payne getting to .500 this year. It's an athletic department that in too many ways is a vestige of what it used to be.
Lol - "The old regime is a distant memory"...
I think that's hilarious too. I love talking about the current regime...

Last edited:
Brohm was clearly the right choice. It has initially made a positive impact. Frankly no other hire except Deion would have generated this kind in immediate impact.

If he is really successful revenue isn’t going to be an issue. Look at Purdue before and after he arrived. It is going to boil down to can he get players.

Brohm was clearly the right choice. It has initially made a positive impact. Frankly no other hire except Deion would have generated this kind in immediate impact.

If he is really successful revenue isn’t going to be an issue. Look at Purdue before and after he arrived. It is going to boil down to can he get players.
With the lower academic standards and the transfer portal, talent acquisition shouldn’t be a problem. I fee like our rosters will be progressively more stacked for a few years. Now we’ll see what he can do with them.

After losing a rivalry game, the Bearcats could’ve mailed it in for their first conference game. Instead they battled, loved each other up and only lost by two touchdowns.

• Haha
Reactions: Steelers2012
After losing a rivalry game, the Bearcats could’ve mailed it in for their first conference game. Instead they battled, loved each other up and only lost by two touchdowns.
Thanks for bringing this thread back to football, and to the earlier discussion. I was beginning to think I stumbled onto a basketball thread.

Possible that Heird understood the wandering eye, aggressive agent and most importantly, the lack of positivity towards sunbelt Scotty and acted accordingly. I know that to you, everyone not named Jurich is an idiot and card carrying member of the “clown show” but, it still worked out despite all of your misgivings.

And FTR - it doesn’t matter in the slightest who might have been behind Brohm. He’s here and he has the team 3-0 and the fans re-energized.

I know that it goes against your nature but, maybe try to enjoy it rather than find any way you can to shit on it?
Darn, I miss CardLaw!

Cincy’s FPI is #39 with a 2-2 record. Only four other teams ranked higher at 2-2. Their predictor has them finishing 7-5.

Satterfield’s big problem is coming in after Fickell. Wisconsin’s FPI is #27…

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Satt quote: “this is our first game in the Big 12 and we went toe to toe with these guys. This should be encouraging to our guys and to our people”.

Lol
What’s he supposed to say?…”We were hopelessly overmatched.”

Cincy was a 14-point dog, and they lost by that amount. Did I miss some other news in there?

What’s he supposed to say?…”We were hopelessly overmatched.”

Cincy was a 14-point dog, and they lost by that amount. Did I miss some other news in there?

You are right. His words there were very inspiring and give real hope for their future. I’m sure “the people” he was referring to are now filled with the spirit of Satt.

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
You are right. His words there were very inspiring and give real hope for their future. I’m sure “the people” he was referring to are now filled with the spirit of Satt.
I don't know what he's supposed to do besides show up for work and try to win games. They've played a far better team in Oklahoma than anyone we've played. They've also played an ACC team that's supposed to be better than the two we've played.

Why U of L fans are butthurt over Satterfield is a mystery to me. The guy wanted to be somewhere else which is why he pursued the So Carolina gig. He spoiled the milk, so he bolted for Cincy which he probably wouldn't have otherwise. Was he NOT supposed to quadruple his salary when Tyra fell on his face with Brohm in 2018? Who was responsible for Satterfield being here and us waiting four more years for Brohm's return?

I wish no ill will toward the Cincy coach. He didn't cause our football problems, we did. Own who you are like I try to do everyday...

• Haha
Reactions: OldhamCard335
“I don't know what he's supposed to do besides show up for work and try to win games.”

That was a good Satt-esque quote. Wonderful work zipper! Had you added a gosh darn, aww shucks or a reference to AppSt or Boone and you would’ve nailed it!

Reactions: OldhamCard335
At the end of the day you have to win games. I don’t think any Louisville coach hired by this administration would get this kind of respect from ole Zipp for losing a game. Keep in mind Cincy has been really good on defense for a while. I am not surprised they are good on that side of the ball.

It really boils down to the ceiling of a coach. I think what people believe his ceiling is 7-9 wins. They believe his play calling cost them
games. The data shows at this level he couldn’t beat the more physical teams. Then they would lay some eggs against teams they were better than. That is what he has shown. His issue will be his offense. Players don’t want to play in it. His top receivers and running back left him.

Brohm is going to have some clunkers as well. I personally believe he will be a consistent 7-8 win team with a magical run ever now and then. Talent across the entire team is required to win 10-12 games.

Blaming Vince for Brohm deciding to stay at Purdue is a gem.

I don't know what he's supposed to do besides show up for work and try to win games. They've played a far better team in Oklahoma than anyone we've played. They've also played an ACC team that's supposed to be better than the two we've played.

Why U of L fans are butthurt over Satterfield is a mystery to me. The guy wanted to be somewhere else which is why he pursued the So Carolina gig. He spoiled the milk, so he bolted for Cincy which he probably wouldn't have otherwise. Was he NOT supposed to quadruple his salary when Tyra fell on his face with Brohm in 2018? Who was responsible for Satterfield being here and us waiting four more years for Brohm's return?

I wish no ill will toward the Cincy coach. He didn't cause our football problems, we did. Own who you are like I try to do everyday...
I don’t know a single UL fan who is “butthurt” over Satterfield. Just the opposite, most are grateful to Cincy for taking Sun Belt Scotty off our hands and allowing us to bring CJB home. If anyone is butthurt I’m sure it is the Cincy fans who are now stuck with him. Also, Brohm stated SO MANY times why he didn’t take the UL job in 2018 and not once was “Tyra falling on his face” was ever mentioned as a reason.

“I don't know what he's supposed to do besides show up for work and try to win games.”

That was a good Satt-esque quote. Wonderful work zipper! Had you added a gosh darn, aww shucks or a reference to AppSt or Boone and you would’ve nailed it!
You didn't address the comment. What's he supposed to do?...

At the end of the day you have to win games. I don’t think any Louisville coach hired by this administration would get this kind of respect from ole Zipp for losing a game. Keep in mind Cincy has been really good on defense for a while. I am not surprised they are good on that side of the ball.

It really boils down to the ceiling of a coach. I think what people believe his ceiling is 7-9 wins. They believe his play calling cost them
games. The data shows at this level he couldn’t beat the more physical teams. Then they would lay some eggs against teams they were better than. That is what he has shown. His issue will be his offense. Players don’t want to play in it. His top receivers and running back left him.

Brohm is going to have some clunkers as well. I personally believe he will be a consistent 7-8 win team with a magical run ever now and then. Talent across the entire team is required to win 10-12 games.

Who was responsible for signing Brohm in 2018 once we targeted him as the #1 candidate and after spending millions to vacate the job? You or me??

We really don't know what Sattefield's ceiling is watching him coach here. What is Mack's ceiling? Didn't look like Petrino could win a game again when he was bought out. These guys will all offer you variations of the excuse that they worked for a dumpster fire. They might be right.

For the record, this administration hired Brohm whom I heartily endorse...

I don’t know a single UL fan who is “butthurt” over Satterfield. Just the opposite, most are grateful to Cincy for taking Sun Belt Scotty off our hands and allowing us to bring CJB home. If anyone is butthurt I’m sure it is the Cincy fans who are now stuck with him. Also, Brohm stated SO MANY times why he didn’t take the UL job in 2018 and not once was “Tyra falling on his face” was ever mentioned as a reason.
You actually think Brohm would have said that? Who was responsible for going out and signing him?...

Hard to say if Brohm will have those clunkers. The portal and NIL have changed everything. Clearly it made an impact this year. His style is appealing to players. I think if English can get the depth on D will surprise people year in and out.
The piece of the puzzle we’ve always been missing is the HC who will hang around and build the program long term; we have that now!

You actually think Brohm would have said that? Who was responsible for going out and signing him?...
How do you sign someone who says they need to stay and finish the job they were hired to do and shows the class JB showed by not abandoning the players and administration who gave him that opportunity? You’re pretty much a broken record with this sort of thing and I know many of us are tired of this song.

I was not a Satterfield fan at least when it came to him calling the plays. However, he wasn't close to being an inept coach, way over his head like a couple former Cards coaches.

When Cincinnati beat Pitt and was 2 and 0, the Bearcats were receiving votes in the AP poll. Louisville as we know wasn't receiving any votes after week 2. No one seriously believed Satterfield was a better coach than Brohm, but he was receiving more recognition.

I don't recall anyone here praising Satterfield after that win because we knew that he sometimes gets nice wins but ultimately his ineptitude at calling plays would rear its head.

I've maintained all this time that Satterfield should relinquish his role as the play caller and just be the head coach. His career may fare better if he would and Cincinnati should see to this if they want to avoid the offensive struggles they saw in the Oklahoma game.

So when asked what should Satterfield do, my answer is hire a good offensive coordinator.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
How do you sign someone who says they need to stay and finish the job they were hired to do and shows the class JB showed by not abandoning the players and administration who gave him that opportunity? You’re pretty much a broken record with this sort of thing and I know many of us are tired of this song.
There was nothing about such a consideration that took a long time to figure out. Brohm devoted two weeks in 2018 to pursue the U of L job, eventually turning it down for the reason reported. His family was also said to be very disappointed. What gets reported is often what people want to see reported.

Tyra was responsible for signing Brohm and had two weeks to do it, having spent $14 million to ditch Petrino. He set the table to bring Brohm back to Louisville, committed millions to do it, and he failed like he did at so many other tasks before bolting in late 2021. It was never Brohm's responsibility to take whatever U of L was offering--which apparently wasn't sufficient for a Louisville guy to return home.

Tyra's backup plan was Scott Satterfield that needs no further commentary.

Too many in our fanbase refuse to hold people in charge accountable for what they do or do not. I'm not one of those people. And don't click on my posts if you don't wanna read them...

I was not a Satterfield fan at least when it came to him calling the plays. However, he wasn't close to being an inept coach, way over his head like a couple former Cards coaches.

When Cincinnati beat Pitt and was 2 and 0, the Bearcats were receiving votes in the AP poll. Louisville as we know wasn't receiving any votes after week 2. No one seriously believed Satterfield was a better coach than Brohm, but he was receiving more recognition.

I don't recall anyone here praising Satterfield after that win because we knew that he sometimes gets nice wins but ultimately his ineptitude at calling plays would rear its head.

I've maintained all this time that Satterfield should relinquish his role as the play caller and just be the head coach. His career may fare better if he would and Cincinnati should see to this if they want to avoid the offensive struggles they saw in the Oklahoma game.

So when asked what should Satterfield do, my answer is hire a good offensive coordinator.
Solid, objective analysis...

I give you a complement for coming up with a Satt-like comment and then you respond with a question. Very frustrating!
He’s not used to compliments and therefore views them with suspicion. Unless of course, they come in the form of free verse - lol.

Now arguing for the sake of arguing? That’s his jam for sure.

Au contraire - his BIG problem will be when he runs out of Fickell’s players. If undersized 2*s didn’t work in the ACC - it sure won’t in the Big 12.
Maybe. Some of his better players on offense in Year 1, he brought in. Didn’t happen here…

The Cincy schedule is trash.

OU, UCF, and KU only teams on it currently ahead of them in Z's FPI. Cincy has all 3 at home. Nice!

UCF on a backup QB.

Anything less than 9 wins is a failure.

Sounds familiar. No excuses! :D

I kid, I kid. Kinda.

Their D looked pretty good vs OU though, and that schedule is a clown sheet so maybe they go on that heater.

For me it's entertainment and about the reactions and now even the reactions to the reactions.

Can't wait either way!

Last edited:
Satt is a decent coach and I expect him to average about 7-8 wins per year and be consistently in a bowl game. If that is good enough for UC, then I’m sure he’ll have a long career there.

Satt is a decent coach and I expect him to average about 7-8 wins per year and be consistently in a bowl game. If that is good enough for UC, then I’m sure he’ll have a long career there.
Nah, as soon as a Carolina school has an opening he'll probably apply there. He want's to go back home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT