ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere at Marshall

Herd Fever

No-Ranking Prospect
Sep 25, 2008
thoughts??

Was you impressed or let down? How was you treated?? Would you make a return trip if the 2 teams played again because word is we are working on another football series between the 2 schools.

I doubt Louisville ever does a home and home with Marshall ever again. I could see at Louisville and them maybe @ Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. Not to sound aloof but Louisville is past that stage of doing home and homes with Non power teams... unless they go to Directional Florida or FAU or FIU for recruiting purposes.

We had a great time there. No bad interactions at all. Now the stadium wasn't much. All bleacher seats except on the home side between the 40 yard lines. No beer sales and the speaker system was terrible. But yea, there will be no more home and home with Marshall

I doubt Louisville ever does a home and home with Marshall ever again. I could see at Louisville and them maybe @ Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. Not to sound aloof but Louisville is past that stage of doing home and homes with Non power teams... unless they go to Directional Florida or FAU or FIU for recruiting purposes.

Sources tell me, you will be sadly mistaken.

Reactions: tkdcoach
So playing hard and not backing down physically is playing dirty?? Sorry we didn't fold up and quit like P5s known as Syracuse and Florida State

Good Luck the rest of the season

Last edited by a moderator:
So playing hard and not backing down physically is playing dirty?? Sorry we didn't fold up and quit like P5s known as Syracuse and Florida State

Welcome to Football, A game where pussies don't survive. Good Luck the rest of the season

tell me this...do you guys always dance and talk trash when you score while down 30?? Just curious...maybe it's something new I've never seen yet.

Nice Teddy sign by the way......stay classy Marshall

Welcome to Football, A game where pussies don't survive. Good Luck the rest of the season

I won't call it dirty, that would be a strong accusation.

But I'll call it a lack of composure by a handful of Marshall players, and channeling of energy in the wrong way, that didn't help Marshall where it mattered.

I think Petrino was very concerned that Lamar would be targeted by Marshall with intention to injure. They are one of the most penalized team in the NCAA for good reason. There is a line between physical and threatening. That would be the only way they'd win...take our QB out of the game, on a stretcher. I think we saw Lamar running much less than he did the previous 3 games to minimize any potential injury.

When your D ends make it a point to hit the QB every time - after simple off tackle handoffs and many times late (as they were flagged for doing) then yes, that's dirty play AND, that's the mark of a team that knows it cannot compete straight up. Whether "(you) quit" or not is subjective and really of no consequence because Louisville still delivered the home team an absolute ass beating.

Marinate in that the rest of the season.

I think Petrino was very concerned that Lamar would be targeted by Marshall with intention to injure. They are one of the most penalized team in the NCAA for good reason. There is a line between physical and threatening. That would be the only way they'd win...take our QB out of the game, on a stretcher. I think we saw Lamar running much less than he did the previous 3 games to minimize any potential injury.
as I said dirty play, wont be the last time we face a dirty team. the national narrative is we are a one man show. so teams will come after him like florida did in the sugar bowl.

I believe the link above easily should shut your "dirty play" nonsense up.
Actually, that clip proves my point. Questionable targeting call but, it was on a player who had received an unsportsmanlike penalty for a late hit out of bounds - not 10 minutes earlier. As I said, the thundering turds' dirty play had a cumulative effect on the refs and their calls.

That said, I guess if I was forced to watch my team get destroyed on a laptop - I'd be salty too - lol.

Reactions: ACCCard
I won't call it dirty, that would be a strong accusation.

But I'll call it a lack of composure by a handful of Marshall players, and channeling of energy in the wrong way, that didn't help Marshall where it mattered.
Agreed. I began to wonder if JLS was coaching on the opposite side. I loved JLS to death but there were times when his play through the sound of the whistle style cost us too many penalties for late hits or unnecessary roughness.

If ever we play in the state of West Virginia again, it'll be in Morgantown. Not endorsing adding WVU back to the schedule, but we should NEVER play Marshall again. Ever. We were on some hidden tv network, playing a CUSA team, in some rink dink stadium, with a team that was talking trash like the 80s Miami Hurricanes while they were down 30. Someone tell me what we gain from any of that.

If ever we play in the state of West Virginia again, it'll be in Morgantown. Not endorsing adding WVU back to the schedule, but we should NEVER play Marshall again. Ever. We were on some hidden tv network, playing a CUSA team, in some rink dink stadium, with a team that was talking trash like the 80s Miami Hurricanes while they were down 30. Someone tell me what we gain from any of that.
We won by 31. We be alright.

Reactions: ACCCard
Sources tell me, you will be sadly mistaken.

Who knows? I would be highly surprised if we do. What is there to gain out of playing Penny Marshall?

Directional Floridas, FIU, FAU, Tulane, South Alabama, Southern Miss are all better travel options than Huntington, WVa. West Virginia isn't a hotbed of talent. If we go at all, we'll go where the talent is.

Have a good rest of your season except... Go Pitt! Go MTSU! and Go Toppers!

Reactions: beasleythecard
I agree. We don't need to be playing Marshall again. Their attitude was: " We can't win the game but we can win the fight." I prefer to stay away from people like that.

Actually, that clip proves my point. Questionable targeting call but, it was on a player who had received an unsportsmanlike penalty for a late hit out of bounds - not 10 minutes earlier. As I said, the thundering turds' dirty play had a cumulative effect on the refs and their calls.

That said, I guess if I was forced to watch my team get destroyed on a laptop - I'd be salty too - lol.
My initial impression was that the hit was on the shoulder pad and it shouldn't be targeting. After watching several replays, the Marshall player clearly lowered his helmet before impact and only avoided face to face contact because the UL player moved slightly to his left. Should it have been targeting, I don't know since I have disagreed with many of those calls. Undoubtedly, the Marshall player was a loose cannon.
As an aside, I was sorry to see Marshall's DE (#92?) get hurt because he was playing a good game.

thoughts??

Was you impressed or let down? How was you treated?? Would you make a return trip if the 2 teams played again because word is we are working on another football series between the 2 schools.

Great grammar dude. You really should not ask questions like this if you cannot handle the answers.

I did attend the game. The golf on the way over Saturday morning at Grayson Lakes State Park was fun. Great layout, not in the best shape though.

We could not have been treated any better. Your fans were great. I was impressed with size of the crowd and passion your fans show for the team. I have always wanted to attend a game there since the movie We Are Marshall. Have to admit, I felt a lot of emotions walking by the plane crash memorial on campus.

The stadium reminded me of old Stoll Field at Kentucky. I understand the program may not be able to support something better, but it should be on your want list. I am not a fan of bleacher seats!

Since the beer is only available in the "Blue Hair's Donor Section" it was great to see that fans could leave & return to the stadium at half time. Watch what you ask for because, it they open the whole place up to beer, that half time privilege will probably be taken away.

Number 14 was a thug and he deserved to be kicked out of the game. Sorry you did not have your #1 quarterback. I am sure it made a difference but I think we were playing with a throttle on the entire game. No way were we going to expose Jackson to more cheap shots then he got.

Will we come back? Okay with me. But if we do return, you guys really need to cut out the BS on the field and play football. Your reputation as a good mid-level football program was not helped by your behavior on the field Saturday night against the Cards.

Wishing you the best the rest of the season. #14 not so much!

What people don't understand and even one of the announcers is there are two components to the targeting rule:

9-1-3: no player shall target and initiate contact with crown of the helmet (using helmet as a weapon) and

9-1-4: no player shall target a defenseless player in the head or neck area with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder.

So it doesn't matter that he didn't hit Alexander in the head or neck as mentioned by the commentator; the player lowered his helmet to initiate contact

I hope Marshall disbands. I really do. The fake punt and all the nonsense that followed from the losing losers that we kicked the crap out of made me instantly understand why WVU holds the program in such low regard. Louisville has National Championship aspirations this year and we're fiddling around with a 4 win football team (at best) taking cheap shots and yapping their collective mouth while down 30 points.

With all due respect, WVU holds Marshall in low regard because WVU fans are largely assholes pushing a narrative along the lines of a U of K > little brother.

It has nothing to do with reality. It has nothing to do with being dirty. In fact, there is no lower form of a football fan than WVU.

I hope Marshall disbands. I really do. The fake punt and all the nonsense that followed from the losing losers that we kicked the crap out of made me instantly understand why WVU holds the program in such low regard. Louisville has National Championship aspirations this year and we're fiddling around with a 4 win football team (at best) taking cheap shots and yapping their collective mouth while down 30 points.

We are the most penalized team not because we are dirty but because we are young and undisciplined. Most of our penalties have been false starts and holding penalties.

If you don't have CBS sports, you need to get out from the Rock you live under.

And I would rather our players still talking and coming hard till the final whistle instead of quitting.

Reactions: PushupMan
Marshall played dirty. Get rid of the game. I'm not surprised to see a backwards explanation from someone from West Virginia...

LOL like Kentucky is any different from West Virginia. Isn't Mitch McConnell your senator again??

Oh and I'm from NY. I'm very far from backwards

CBS is one thing. CBS Sports premium channel waaay different. Granted, that's where all the titanic struggles like Tulsa-Army and East Carolina-South Carolina State are.

Playing hard is not what your lousy team did. They quickly realized who they were up against and folded like a cheap tent.

sumo-wrestler.jpg

Had a great time in Huntington. To even compare their fan to WVU is ridiculous. No one says buttholes like the people in Morgantown. Game got a little chippy at times but that's football. I thought the targeting on the punt return was bull when I saw it in real time but on the replays it was clear he led with the helmet. Some of you need to grow a pair.The game is tackle football. I thought it was a great move to have the DE hit Lamar every play again the game is tackle football not ice skating. Even though they were clearly outclassed Marshall never quit.

Must suck to have to survive on stealing basic cable from your neighbors trailer. CBS Sports is everywhere. I live in San Diego and I was able to DVR the game while I was at the Stanford/UCLA game

There's the class we expect from Marshall. You apparently do not understand the difference between Louisville and the rest of Kentucky. Rest assured, Louisville is more like San Diego than any place in West Virginia or the rest of Kentucky, for that matter. Now that you mention it, I notice you choose not to spend a whole lot of time in West Virginia. That makes you smarter than the rest of the Thundering Turd fans which is not saying much.

I agree that teams should play hard to the end, no matter what the score. However, a fake punt and players acting like complete A-holes takes it to a whole other level. BTW, the starters were put back in because of your coach being an ass.

So your proud that your coaches put back in starters when up 52-7??? Sorry our Head Coach didn't fold up and quit and neither did our players.

Why are a few of you giving this Herd fan so much hell? He hasn't been out of line or anything.

I had a great time and I hope the series continues. Before the season started, many if not most had some anxiety over this game. The Cards are pretty special this year and they're blowing everyone out. Next year the Cards play Kent State and Murray State - I'd have Marshall in one of those slots every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT