ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere at Marshall

So your proud that your coaches put back in starters when up 52-7??? Sorry our Head Coach didn't fold up and quit and neither did our players.

UofL pulled the starters at 52-14, even though Marshall had just scored a TD after faking a punt. When Marshall ran the fumble back to make it 52-21 with 13:25 still left in the fourth quarter, UofL did what it had to in order to ensure it got out of Huntington with the win. We put the first string offense back in and went on a 7 minute touchdown drive to put the game away.

Not sure why any of that is so controversial. Marshall kept playing to win even down 52-7, and UofL did what it had to do in order to prevent a Marshall comeback of historic proportions. I expected nothing less from either side.

UofL pulled the starters at 52-14, even though Marshall had just scored a TD after faking a punt. When Marshall ran the fumble back to make it 52-21 with 13:25 still left in the fourth quarter, UofL did what it had to in order to ensure it got out of Huntington with the win. We put the first string offense back in and went on a 7 minute touchdown drive to put the game away.

Not sure why any of that is so controversial. Marshall kept playing to win even down 52-7, and UofL did what it had to do in order to prevent a Marshall comeback of historic proportions. I expected nothing less from either side.
I agree. Had the back up guys taken care of business, the starters wouldn't have been brought back in. CBP was not pleased with the back up players who forced him to go back to the starters. I'm sure he had them running extra stadium steps over it too! LOL.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Some of you need to grow a pair.The game is tackle football. I thought it was a great move to have the DE hit Lamar every play again the game is tackle football not ice skating. Even though they were clearly outclassed Marshall never quit.
Lol - "grow a pair"- Ok tough guy. You may have thought it was a great move to hit LJ every play but that's not football - it's bush league BS from a team that realized it couldn't compete without resorting to that sort of low rent crap. How great would you have thought it was if they had injured him on one of those late hits?

Maybe google Stockholm syndrome...

Reactions: WKCard and wilkie01
Lol - "grow a pair"- Ok tough guy. You may have thought it was a great move to hit LJ every play but that's not football - it's bush league BS from a team that realized it couldn't compete without resorting to that sort of low rent crap. How great would you have thought it was if they had injured him on one of those late hits?

Or, maybe just Google the NFL concussion class action.

I didn't say anything about late hits. Nothing wrong with a good hard legal hit to let the other teams QB know you are there. Late hits and trying to intentionally hurt someone are bush league but if you get a chance to put a legal hit on somebody you take it. I have no problem with the fake punt either. The punter got drilled on the play too. Never understood what the flag on UofL was all about.

Last edited:
There is something in West Virginia's water that makes so many Marshall and University of West Virginia fans act like redneck @ssholes!

Reactions: Creo
Had a great time in Huntington. To even compare their fan to WVU is ridiculous. No one says buttholes like the people in Morgantown. Game got a little chippy at times but that's football. I thought the targeting on the punt return was bull when I saw it in real time but on the replays it was clear he led with the helmet. Some of you need to grow a pair.The game is tackle football. I thought it was a great move to have the DE hit Lamar every play again the game is tackle football not ice skating. Even though they were clearly outclassed Marshall never quit.

Agree completely with the tackle football comment. If it's a penalty for a late hit, the referees will throw the flag.

Exactly, how many times have you seen Lamar run the read option and pull the ball out while the DE stands there and look stupid as he runs around him. When I played against the option the DE was told to take down the QB everytime. There was nothing dirty about it. Like Pushupman said if it's a late hit the referee will call it.

I don't have a problem with them hitting Lamar it's part of the game. I don't have a problem with anything they did out there really. I think their goal to be physical was understood from the beginning, and I think they wasted some energy after plays were over. I don't have a problem with that either, because that helped us more than it helped them.

I do wish their regular QB was able to play. Their 2nd string guy had no confidence, and the play-calling reflected their staff agreed, they had no confidence with him either. It allowed us to stack the line, hold them to multiple 3 and outs, and never lose control of the game.

I also think the atmosphere we saw will help us with what we're walking into Saturday night. More people and a better opponent of course, but similar in regards to being a circus.

Reactions: JohnCard28
Exactly, how many times have you seen Lamar run the read option and pull the ball out while the DE stands there and look stupid as he runs around him. When I played against the option the DE was told to take down the QB everytime. There was nothing dirty about it. Like Pushupman said if it's a late hit the referee will call it.
I have no problem with that either. What I do have a problem with is the DE hitting him after a simple off guard hand off - not a read option. Say what you want, there was a clear plan to hit Lamar as many times as possible - even late was seemingly acceptable - in an effort to knock him out of the game. It has nothing to do at all with 'toughness' and whether the ref calls it or not, doesn't make it any less bush league.

I have nothing but respect for Marshall football.They always play hard. Heck, they had beaten us 4 straight times before this game.

I have no problem with that either. What I do have a problem with is the DE hitting him after a simple off guard hand off - not a read option. Say what you want, there was a clear plan to hit Lamar as many times as possible - even late was seemingly acceptable - in an effort to knock him out of the game. It has nothing to do at all with 'toughness' and whether the ref calls it or not, doesn't make it any less bush league.

As long as it's clear that you are upset with the referees for not calling personal foul penalties on those plays, I agree completely. Undermanned teams are going to try tactics like that against a great player like Jackson until the refs make it clear that they won't tolerate it. Like it or not, that stuff comes with the territory.

What a ridiculous thread. Congrats you’ve made it to a P5 conference, but it is nice to know when the playing field was equal, and you shared the same non BCS status as MU, we gleefully owned you since the 80’s. And as it stands today we were a starting QB and one exceptional UL player away from this game being much tighter than it was. Enjoy your success and coaching staff now because things can change for you in a hurry. Best of luck going forward.

What a ridiculous thread. Congrats you’ve made it to a P5 conference, but it is nice to know when the playing field was equal, and you shared the same non BCS status as MU, we gleefully owned you since the 80’s. And as it stands today we were a starting QB and one exceptional UL player away from this game being much tighter than it was. Enjoy your success and coaching staff now because things can change for you in a hurry. Best of luck going forward.
Come on man. Marshall has a coach named Doc Holiday! How cool is that? Marshall's home is in the sticks with a coach named the same as one of the most fierce gunslingers from the Wild Wild West ever! That's awesome!!

I love you guys! Maybe you could hire a football assistant named William Bonney AKA Billy the kid, and your defensive coach could be John Wesley Hardin! Hell, maybe bring a little bit of law and order to the table and hire a guys who thinks he's Wyatt Earp!! Maybe he could provide better security for all the mistreated Marshall fans.

Enjoy CUSA. It used to be a good football conference. Maybe with the help of the Wild Wild West, it can be again.

Comparing UL-UK dynamic to Marshall-WVU is laughable. UL is certainly on par with UK athletics to the outside world. Marshall WVU is not anywhere close. And I like Marshall, I really do. WVU is 12-0 in football and 39-16 in basketball, including 11 straight wins.

So imagine Louisville having an instate "rival" with that kind of record, constantly bashing you. That is the general Marshall fanbase.

Thanks so much for clarifying for us that the only period of time that matters in college football history is from 1987 to 2011. Perhaps we can get the college football historians to reclassify all of the other games played between our two schools from 1921 to 1986 and 2012-2016 in some other category, so that we do not have to be confused by the overall 17-12 record between the two schools.

Marshall scored 21 points very quickly. Instead of 52-7, it was 52-28 with 10 or so remaining.Sure it was a long shot but I can tell you, being there, there was a "lift" in the air for Marshall and I guarantee you that the coaching staff felt it. Marshall can score quickly and we don't want the Cards to be on the wrong end of some crazy historic comeback, nor do we want to go into Clemson with the defense allowing 35 or worse points in the 4th quarter.

So while it may appear to be a bad look, it wasn't really.

17-12 record between the two schools...i didnt know it was that close, but to hear you guys disparage MU the way you have you'd think the record would be 29-0. Again congrats for making it to the big time it truly is an accomplishment. You have a very special player and to land him is also an accomplishment. I wish you all the luck in the world going forward.

Comparing UL-UK dynamic to Marshall-WVU is laughable. UL is certainly on par with UK athletics to the outside world. Marshall WVU is not anywhere close. And I like Marshall, I really do. WVU is 12-0 in football and 39-16 in basketball, including 11 straight wins.

So imagine Louisville having an instate "rival" with that kind of record, constantly bashing you. That is the general Marshall fanbase.
A more apt comparison of athletic programs would be uk and wvu, as Louisville has passed both of them by.

Marshall scored 21 points very quickly. Instead of 52-7, it was 52-28 with 10 or so remaining.Sure it was a long shot but I can tell you, being there, there was a "lift" in the air for Marshall and I guarantee you that the coaching staff felt it. Marshall can score quickly and we don't want the Cards to be on the wrong end of some crazy historic comeback, nor do we want to go into Clemson with the defense allowing 35 or worse points in the 4th quarter.

So while it may appear to be a bad look, it wasn't really.

I was there as well - section 103, row 37 ... where were you?

You have the sequence almost right (I did a detailed analysis of our defensive substitution patterns throughout the game on the Collision Course board, so what follows is basically a rehash of one section of that analysis). UofL scored to go up 52-7 with 2:19 left in the 3rd quarter. At that point, we pulled Kelsey, and we had already pulled Fields one series earlier. We stopped Marshall initially, but they converted the fake punt, plus had the personal foul penalty and the pass interference penalty to get them into scoring position. They scored to make it 52-14 with 13:40 left in the 4th quarter. The fumble return for a TD happened at 13:25. UofL then reinserted the starters on offense and went on a 6:36 touchdown drive to make it 59-21.

It was at that point that we emptied the bench on defense, playing all 2nd and 3rd teamers (Greenard, Robinson, Shortridge, Famurewa, Stewart, Caban, Khane Pass, Alphonso Carter, Ronald Walker and Dee Smith). Predictably, Marshall's first team offense was able to move the ball effectively for only the second time in the game, and scored one more TD with 2:41 left.

17-12 record between the two schools...i didnt know it was that close, but to hear you guys disparage MU the way you have you'd think the record would be 29-0. Again congrats for making it to the big time it truly is an accomplishment. You have a very special player and to land him is also an accomplishment. I wish you all the luck in the world going forward.

Never a fan of disparaging an opponent ... to do so diminishes the accomplishment when you are fortunate enough to win the game. Marshall fought hard, as they have in every game I've ever witnessed between the two schools (I was there for 1987, 1998, 2002, and 2011, as well - so this was my first time witnessing a UofL victory), and the way they continued to fight throughout the whole game was a fitting tribute to "We Are ... Marshall".

I was there as well - section 103, row 37 ... where were you?

You have the sequence almost right (I did a detailed analysis of our defensive substitution patterns throughout the game on the Collision Course board, so what follows is basically a rehash of one section of that analysis). UofL scored to go up 52-7 with 2:19 left in the 3rd quarter. At that point, we pulled Kelsey, and we had already pulled Fields one series earlier. We stopped Marshall initially, but they converted the fake punt, plus had the personal foul penalty and the pass interference penalty to get them into scoring position. They scored to make it 52-14 with 13:40 left in the 4th quarter. The fumble return for a TD happened at 13:25. UofL then reinserted the starters on offense and went on a 6:36 touchdown drive to make it 59-21.

It was at that point that we emptied the bench on defense, playing all 2nd and 3rd teamers (Greenard, Robinson, Shortridge, Famurewa, Stewart, Caban, Khane Pass, Alphonso Carter, Ronald Walker and Dee Smith). Predictably, Marshall's first team offense was able to move the ball effectively for only the second time in the game, and scored one more TD with 2:41 left.

Good analysis - so it wasn't as threatening in reality as it felt. It just seemed 52-7 then bam 52-28 and the crowd was back into it.

Section 109, Row 21. Awesome seats! Did you go to the busses to greet the team and coaching staff after the game? Great environment. Lots of MU fans showed up (I assume to get a glimpse of Lamar) and it was a fun time. I saw Devante Peete give my buddy's 7 year old a slice of his Papa John's pizza. "Here you go little man!" - awesome!

If the Cards are going to schedule one marquee game, one cupcake, and one "good" game - I'm all about Marshall being in there once in a while. I'd like to see Cincinnati in there, too.

I went to the Marshall game. Ended up with great seats through a season ticket holder who wasn't able to attend. Section 114...We got to our tailgate around 3 and really only had 1 rude Marshall fan the entire night. We were posted up near a sidewalk right behind our tailgate to talk to the fans as they walked by and most Marshall fans were just happy to see a team like Louisville and a player like Lamar in person. I probably heard "tell Petrino to not beat us too bad" no less than 100 times on Saturday. I did notice a few things I didn't like on the field and I think that was just a young, overmatched team taking out their frustrations and hopefully the Marshall coaches corrected that behavior. I mean its got to be hard to look up at the scoreboard and see you're down 5 touchdowns but there was still some very questionable plays by the Marshall defense on Saturday...and the refs were absolutely horrendous and did not help things.

I'm all for playing Marshall because being in Eastern KY its a cheap, easy to get ticket, a close road game that I can take every year and they're typically one of the better mid-major programs so its not that damning to our schedule but they're unlikely to ever be good enough to beat us again as long as we have Petrino at the helm. Having listened to the shows this week and read some of the articles about the game however I'm not sure Petrino will allow them to schedule Marshall anytime soon.

Reactions: PushupMan
Thanks so much for clarifying for us that the only period of time that matters in college football history is from 1987 to 2011. Perhaps we can get the college football historians to reclassify all of the other games played between our two schools from 1921 to 1986 and 2012-2016 in some other category, so that we do not have to be confused by the overall 17-12 record between the two schools.

Damn, that was beautiful.

Reactions: PushupMan
He's talking trash and deserves whatever he is getting. It's his fifteen minutes...will be over soon

Good analysis - so it wasn't as threatening in reality as it felt. It just seemed 52-7 then bam 52-28 and the crowd was back into it.

Section 109, Row 21. Awesome seats! Did you go to the busses to greet the team and coaching staff after the game? Great environment. Lots of MU fans showed up (I assume to get a glimpse of Lamar) and it was a fun time. I saw Devante Peete give my buddy's 7 year old a slice of his Papa John's pizza. "Here you go little man!" - awesome!

If the Cards are going to schedule one marquee game, one cupcake, and one "good" game - I'm all about Marshall being in there once in a while. I'd like to see Cincinnati in there, too.

Great story! No, I did not stay - would have liked to, but I had that 4.5 hour drive back to Bedford, Indiana ahead of me, and my daughter wanted to leave in the third quarter. We compromised on a plan to leave after Louisville's TD that put us up 59-21.

If we are going to have two or three games to play with on our schedule (8 ACC games, UK, and ND every three years being the constants), we could do a lot worse than Marshall for one of the other games. Personally, I'd like to see us get some home and home series with other teams in the SEC - a bucket list thing for me to visit all of those iconic stadiums.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Great story! No, I did not stay - would have liked to, but I had that 4.5 hour drive back to Bedford, Indiana ahead of me, and my daughter wanted to leave in the third quarter. We compromised on a plan to leave after Louisville's TD that put us up 59-21.

If we are going to have two or three games to play with on our schedule (8 ACC games, UK, and ND every three years being the constants), we could do a lot worse than Marshall for one of the other games. Personally, I'd like to see us get some home and home series with other teams in the SEC - a bucket list thing for me to visit all of those iconic stadiums.

What about scheduling a Big 10+4 team? Besides Purdue and IU-Bloomington?

What about scheduling a Big 10+4 team? Besides Purdue and IU-Bloomington?

I would love that, but there are going to be a lot more opportunities to schedule SEC schools, since the SEC plays 4 non-conference games while the Big Ten plays only 3 starting this year.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
this is an interesting read on how to stop Lamar. By the way, my understanding the refs for our game were from ACC. Good luck against Clemson. I'll be a UL fan this weekend.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-like-walking-a-beach-filled-with-land-mines/

Hey w0lf, most U of L fans do respect the Marshall tradition you recapped in your first post in this thread. Hot feelings from last week aside.

CORRECTED (my bad, I knew better somewhere in my mind)
Roethlisberger dismantled our D and learning at halftime our coach had shopped himself around was more than a flesh wound at the time. Ancient history but not forgotten. ;-)

Your storied program has worked its way into college football lore by right. Not to mention NFL lore. Good luck down the line.

Last edited:
Hey w0lf, most U of L fans do respect the Marshall tradition you recapped in your first post in this thread. Hot feelings from last week aside. Roethlisberger dismantled our D and learning at halftime our coach had shopped himself around was more than a flesh wound at the time. Ancient history but not forgotten. ;-)

Your storied program has worked its way into college football lore by right. Not to mention NFL lore. Good luck down the line.

That was Byron Leftwhich or Chad Pennington when John L. left the team at half...Roethlisberger played for the Miami, OH team that dismantled our D in the GMAC Bowl.

We lost to Marshall twice and Miami, Ohio in bowls. It is a little confusing. Marshall was in the MAC back then as well.

Last edited:
I have been to all the stadiums in the SEC East. Only one in the SEC West (Ole Miss).

That was Byron Leftwhich or Chad Pennington when John L. left the team at half...Roethlisberger played for the Miami, OH team that dismantled our D in the GMAC Bowl.

We lost to Marshall twice and Miami, Ohio in bowls. It is a little confusing. Marshall was in the MAC back then as well.

Oops, I knew that. Multi-tasking is my only excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT