ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Staples answers question from OPurdie fan on Brohm

We think alike.
I was thinking, why are all these Purdue fans in such denial.

If Petrino were a young coach, whos alma mater was Purdue and they were having crappy seasons, we Louisville fans would know and accept that he would leave here for Purdue.

If UofL hires an OSU assistant, we'd expect him to leave here for OSU if the opportunity presented itself.

The sooner you guys accept it, the easier it will be..................

I have no idea what Brohm will do. And I’ll be glad for him if he gets to take a job with his Alma mater if that’s what he wanted...

But you are setting yourself up to need a new Rivals handle if he doesn’t come to Louisville.

I have no idea what Brohm will do. And I’ll be glad for him if he gets to take a job with his Alma mater if that’s what he wanted...

But you are setting yourself up to need a new Rivals handle if he doesn’t come to Louisville.
I texted into a local radio show the other day the same thing. People around here that are in the "know" act like it s a lock. I dont know anything and I think people are setting themselves up for major disappointment on both sides of this argument. Only him and his family and a handful of people know what he is going to do. It does help that his agents live in Louisville and are Louisville graduates. im sure they are having "unofficial discussions" with our AD.

It wouldn't surprise me if a deal is already made and/OR a deal has alrady been shot down and he has said that he is staying. THis does feel a lot like the Mack hire to me. I had all of these same feelings and our local radio acted like he was a lock etc....we will all know soon enough

Reactions: BleedinGold
I texted into a local radio show the other day the same thing. People around here that are in the "know" act like it s a lock. I dont know anything and I think people are setting themselves up for major disappointment on both sides of this argument. Only him and his family and a handful of people know what he is going to do. It does help that his agents live in Louisville and are Louisville graduates. im sure they are having "unofficial discussions" with our AD.

It wouldn't surprise me if a deal is already made and/OR a deal has alrady been shot down and he has said that he is staying. THis does feel a lot like the Mack hire to me. I had all of these same feelings and our local radio acted like he was a lock etc....we will all know soon enough

With all due respect, you really are comparing Xavier and Purdue?

Reactions: Indy_Rider

Mack LEFT his alma mater, a Group of Five university that was paying him $1.7 million a year to take a job paying him $4 million a year.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
With all due respect, you really are comparing Xavier and Purdue?

No Des, he just said he’s getting the same feeling. And he said it in the context acknowledging he doesn’t know anything.

Not sure why you’re over here stirring up the shit. Not your style, usually.

You need to do your homework!
Couldn't care any less about Purdue...why do homework about something you have no interest in. Th only reason Purdue comes out of my mouth and or on my keyboard is because of the current coaching situation. If Brohm comes here, ill never speak of your school again or quite frankly hear anything about it.

Granted, everyone hears a lot about us lately for not so good things.

I won't insult Purdue...I mean, they're a long time P5 program and have been a member of the Big 10 for literally over 100 years. Very respectable program...but I do agree that as far as modern sports and brand recognition and "popularity".....I think they're well behind Louisville. But that doesn't mean they haven't had success and it seems as if the University is finally spending money on football, which is smart.

Purdue is Purdue....I don't know how to classify them. They just aren't one of those programs anyone ever thinks about but that doesn't make them a crappy program. There are other underrated programs that have been successful that people probably don't realize...Utah, Boston College, Kansas State, etc....schools that nobody ever talks about and are probably better programs than people realize but have been up and down but overall have a pretty long and storied history.

Purdue has been down in football for a long time and thats probably why you see the reaction that you do and while they may not have an illustrious football history its probably better than you realize.

Couldn't care any less about Purdue...why do homework about something you have no interest in. Th only reason Purdue comes out of my mouth and or on my keyboard is because of the current coaching situation. If Brohm comes here, ill never speak of your school again or quite frankly hear anything about it.

Granted, everyone hears a lot about us lately for not so good things.

It does not take many googles to recognize that people have been fired from the highest positions of the university and athletuc department for fiscal mismanagement. When yiu’ve had problems balancing the books and dealing with huge financial setbacks like loss of more than 10% of your foundation endowment it
would seem imprudent for a responsible BOT and a new President and Athletic Director to do anything to further jeopardize your Moody’s ratings. I am not making any if this up. It’s a matter of public record.

I won't insult Purdue...I mean, they're a long time P5 program and have been a member of the Big 10 for literally over 100 years. Very respectable program...but I do agree that as far as modern sports and brand recognition and "popularity".....I think they're well behind Louisville. But that doesn't mean they haven't had success and it seems as if the University is finally spending money on football, which is smart.

Purdue is Purdue....I don't know how to classify them. They just aren't one of those programs anyone ever thinks about but that doesn't make them a crappy program. There are other underrated programs that have been successful that people probably don't realize...Utah, Boston College, Kansas State, etc....schools that nobody ever talks about and are probably better programs than people realize but have been up and down but overall have a pretty long and storied history.

Purdue has been down in football for a long time and thats probably why you see the reaction that you do and while they may not have an illustrious football history its probably better than you realize.
Boston College has game day this weekend.....Id almost bet that Purdue has never even had that. They are an academic school....nothing more and there is nothing wrong with that.

It does not take many googles to recognize that people have been fired from the highest positions of the university and athletuc department for fiscal mismanagement. When yiu’ve had problems balancing the books and dealing with huge financial setbacks like loss of more than 10% of your foundation endowment it
would seem imprudent for a responsible BOT and a new President and Athletic Director to do anything to further jeopardize your Moody’s ratings. I am not making any if this up. It’s a matter of public record.

Oh wow.
Weve got the boil version of mattie bangs.

None of that stopped Coach Mack from coming here. He left a number 1 seed team to takeover an NIT team.
Steve Alford and Shaka Smart also wanted the job.

Nothing will impede Jeff Brohm from being named Head Coach here in December.

The finances will work themselves out.
The financial boost alone from naming Brohm coach will boost the situation alone.

Boston College has game day this weekend.....Id almost bet that Purdue has never even had that. They are an academic school....nothing more and there is nothing wrong with that.

BC aka the team Purdue destroyed this year. Purdue had Gameday against Wisconsin back in 04 when they were ranked 5th in the country.

Purdue has hosted Gameday. In the last 21 years Purdue has one Big Ten Championship, 12 bowl appearances, five wins over both Notre Dame and Ohio State (more than any Big Ten school) and three wins over Michigan. A bad AD and two bad coaching hires (sound familiar) set the program back over the last nine years Now the university, from top to bottom, is committed to athletic excellence.

Oh wow.
Weve got the boil version of mattie bangs.

None of that stopped Coach Mack from coming here. He left a number 1 seed team to takeover an NIT team.
Steve Alford and Shaka Smart also wanted the job.

The finances will work themselves out.
The financial boost alone from naming Brohm coach will boost the situation alone.

“ The finances will work themselves out” tells me all I need to know.

Well, the $20M + you need to come up with could impede it.

I have no clue what he will do. But the “we will worry about the money later” attitude is easy for fans. But it’s certainly a potential roadblock worth acknowledging.

Just as a reasonable Purdue fan should acknowledge that there’s a chance UL comes after Brohm, a reasonable UL fan has to acknowledge that there’s also a chance that a cash strapped university can’t make this move right now.

I have no clue what he will do. But the “we will worry about the money later” attitude is easy for fans. But it’s certainly a potential roadblock worth acknowledging.

Just as a reasonable Purdue fan should acknowledge that there’s a chance UL comes after Brohm, a reasonable UL fan has to acknowledge that there’s also a chance that a cash strapped university can’t make this move right now.

Some folks think Moody’s is how their wife acts when they stop for a couple on the way home and are late
for dinner.

You guys need to stop sniffing glue.
Cash strapped.

They were so 'cash strapped' they payid Coach Mack 4 million a yr. Just could had kept Padgett around for 900k per year if they were so worried about monies.

You guys are cracking apart worried about another Universities finances.

Basketball and Football are the two sports that get whatever they need to survive.

Its why University officials are paid 6 figures to take care of the finances. Not fans or worry warts.

FTR, I will come here and congratulate all of you with buckets of tears running down my cheeks. I won't like it, but I will do it.
And that means you would have more class than the vast majority of Big Ten fans. That makes sense as you are a Boilermaker and not a Buckeye or Wolverine or Illini.

Never doubt the pull of the alma mater. Never resent anyone who answers that call.

Reactions: mathboy and earsky
None of you people know shit about what Jeff Brohm is or isn't going to do. Stop act like you used to eat at Bonnie & Clyde's Pizza with him & his famly every Friday night. Child please.

Reactions: ejs1111
As a U of L fan, I don't care to get into a pi$$ing match among Brohm fans from either school. All I know is it makes no sense for Wright to announce a commitment to Purdue a month before early NSD if the plan is for player and coach to switch to U of L.

Anything COULD happen. But why would those guys team up to mess over Purdue? That would tell me Brohm doesn't give two $hits about Purdue which lowers him on my list of quality coaches if true.

The kid obviously wants to play for Brohm. If Brohm's future was truly uncertain, he'd tell Wright that he will take his commitment at either school. And to wait a few weeks before committing.

Wright going public now tells me--if anything--Brohm ain't coming to U of L...

And that means you would have more class than the vast majority of Big Ten fans. That makes sense as you are a Boilermaker and not a Buckeye or Wolverine or Illini.

Never doubt the pull of the alma mater. Never resent anyone who answers that call.
I doubted it as soon as John Wooden turned down a chance to return to his Alma Mater a year after he accepted the UCLA job. Lol

Reactions: BleedinGold
Denny Crum also turned down UCLA to stay at UofL. But that was a replacing a legend stiuation.

No sense in UofL fans trying to convince Purdue fans that Brohm will come to UofL.

No sense in Purdue fans trying to convince UofL fans that Brohm will stay. Brohm will do what he wants at the appropriate time. Right now, he and his team have a lot in front of them.

Coach Crum and Coach Wooden were both basketball coaches.

Scott Frost left a National Championship team that is still undefeated to go home.

If the University of Montana was D1 or a P5
Petrino would have left UofL for them.

Scott Frost left a National Championship team that is still undefeated to go home.

If the University of Montana was D1 or a P5
Petrino would have left UofL for them.

Do you see the irony in your two sentences here?

Frost wasnt at a P5 school prior to Nebraska. Nor could UCF ever compete with Nebraska when it came to finances, facilities, etc.

Purdue does all of these things.

UofL only has a chance at Brohm because it is his almamater and of the extensive history his family has in the area.

Besides that there is very little else in todays atletic or football landscape that would make UofL the better choice for him.

Now none of that may matter in the end as the almamater factor may be enough, but I wouldnt be so confident if I were you.

Do you see the irony in your two sentences here?

Frost wasnt at a P5 school prior to Nebraska. Nor could UCF ever compete with Nebraska when it came to finances, facilities, etc.

Purdue does all of these things.

UofL only has a chance at Brohm because it is his almamater and of the extensive history his family has in the area.

Besides that here is very little else in todays atletic or football landscape that would make UofL the better choice for him.

Now none of that may matter in the end as the almamater factor may be enough, but I wouldnt be so confident if I were you.

UofL would be going after Brohm regardless of his alma mater.

He'd be on the list with West, Campbell, Fickell, Babers.

This is Louisville's first losing season in 9 yrs.
9 straight bowls and coming within 6 yds of going to the ACC Championship game.
So once again youre wrong.

Purdue is coming off 9-36, thus necessitating a coaching change.

Louisville coaches get poached.
Purdue coaches get fired.

You really cant help but ending your posts with 2 ironic sentences.

I can guarantee you we arent firing Brohm this year or anytime soon.

Let me know who is poaching Petrino from you this year.

That would really help you. UofL will need that $14mm....

Last edited:
As a U of L fan, I don't care to get into a pi$$ing match among Brohm fans from either school. All I know is it makes no sense for Wright to announce a commitment to Purdue a month before early NSD if the plan is for player and coach to switch to U of L.

Anything COULD happen. But why would those guys team up to mess over Purdue? That would tell me Brohm doesn't give two $hits about Purdue which lowers him on my list of quality coaches if true.

The kid obviously wants to play for Brohm. If Brohm's future was truly uncertain, he'd tell Wright that he will take his commitment at either school. And to wait a few weeks before committing.

FYI, I think we would enjoy sitting down for a rational retrospection when this is all over. I joined Rivals 6/5/01 and have posted 39,088 times!

UofL would be going after Brohm regardless of his alma mater.

He'd be on the list with West, Campbell, Fickell, Babers.

This is Louisville's first losing season in 9 yrs.
9 straight bowls and coming within 6 yds of going to the ACC Championship game.
So once again youre wrong.

Purdue is coming off 9-36, thus necessitating a coaching change.

They’d go after him but would be a long shot to land him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT