ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama ??

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I know I'm in the minority but I just don't see why everyone is so high on Alabama. Besides Nick Saban and the roster full of 4 and 5 star players, the Tide have not looked as good as they are being talked about. The blowout over USC is not a big deal anymore with the struggles of the Trojans and they gave up a ton of points and yards to Ole Miss. All the pundits just ignore this and continue to call them the best team.

Unlike previous years, the Tide don't have that ultra talent skill position player or players. There's no Derrick Henry or TJ Yeldon. No Amari Cooper. They have won with average QB's because of players like these and their stout defense. Hurts looks like a nice true freshman QB but nothing that suggest a national title leader. The defense was being used by the Ole Miss offense and if it weren't for dumb turnovers the Rebels would have held on.

The last two weeks the Tide have beaten Kent St and Kentucky. They haven't really been tested other than Ole Miss and they looked big time vulnerable. Now they're heading on the road to Arkansas and I won't be surprised one bit if the Hogs beat them. The Tide are primed for an upset. Several teams have played better than Alabama this year including the Cards. Ohio State and Clemson are in my opinion much better than the Tide. They're just getting the media adulation because of their winning past.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be ranked high but they haven't done anything to be ranked #1 or picked to be in the playoff. Saban is a great coach and if he takes this team to another playoff, I will be the first to say I was wrong. Just don't be shocked if they lose this Saturday. They may win, but it will be close. I'm predicting here and now that the Tide will not be in the playoff.

Now let's see how this thread shakes out.

I know I'm in the minority but I just don't see why everyone is so high on Alabama. Besides Nick Saban and the roster full of 4 and 5 star players, the Tide have not looked as good as they are being talked about. The blowout over USC is not a big deal anymore with the struggles of the Trojans and they gave up a ton of points and yards to Ole Miss. All the pundits just ignore this and continue to call them the best team.

Unlike previous years, the Tide don't have that ultra talent skill position player or players. There's no Derrick Henry or TJ Yeldon. No Amari Cooper. They have won with average QB's because of players like these and their stout defense. Hurts looks like a nice true freshman QB but nothing that suggest a national title leader. The defense was being used by the Ole Miss offense and if it weren't for dumb turnovers the Rebels would have held on.

The last two weeks the Tide have beaten Kent St and Kentucky. They haven't really been tested other than Ole Miss and they looked big time vulnerable. Now they're heading on the road to Arkansas and I won't be surprised one bit if the Hogs beat them. The Tide are primed for an upset. Several teams have played better than Alabama this year including the Cards. Ohio State and Clemson are in my opinion much better than the Tide. They're just getting the media adulation because of their winning past.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be ranked high but they haven't done anything to be ranked #1 or picked to be in the playoff. Saban is a great coach and if he takes this team to another playoff, I will be the first to say I was wrong. Just don't be shocked if they lose this Saturday. They may win, but it will be close. I'm predicting here and now that the Tide will not be in the playoff.

They actually might not be #1 when the committee votes. Like FSU in 2014, Bama has done just enough early in the season as defending champions to convince the voters in both polls to stick with them. Ohio State probably deserves to be number one just a little more at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I agree with your overall assessment, though perhaps not the details. I pull for UA, but I would not vote them #1 at this point. (For the record, as of today, I think Ohio State should be No. 1.)

Ole Miss did not exploit the defense quite as bad as you suggest. There was a defensive TD and then late in the came with UA up a bunch (48-30 with under 4 minutes to play - following a 45-6 run, I might add) the second team gave up a score, UA then muffed an on-sides kick, and second team gave up another quick score.

On the outside, Calvin Ridley is very good and an explosive player. Ardarius Stewart has been out since early in the Ole Miss game and he is the better WR. OJ Howard is probably the best TE to play there since Ozzie Newsom (who actually played WR at UA and TE in the pros). Damien Harris, Jo Scarborough and true frosh Joshua Jacobs are still splitting time at RB and the OL is still a work in progress. The defense, on the other hand, is the best I have seen under Saban.

Part of the respect UA is getting is this is becoming a familiar movie. Under Saban UA often has looked vulnerable early. Yet, they managed to win 4 of the last 7 national titles and were in the playoffs another year. Add to that tendency the fact that they are defending champs and presently undefeated, and being ranked number one is kind of natural. I don't agree. But, that has been a consistent pattern in the polls the last several years.

I agree Alabama may lose tomorrow. Over the next five weeks (at Ark., at Tenn., vs. A&M, bye, at LSU) they are going to lose at least one. If they don't, hand them the trophy after the game in Baton Rouge. Hell, hand them the Lombardi Trophy while you're at it. If Alabama runs that stretch, the horse is gone. No one will beat them.

I agree with your overall assessment, though perhaps not the details. I pull for UA, but I would not vote them #1 at this point. (For the record, as of today, I think Ohio State should be No. 1.)

Ole Miss did not exploit the defense quite as bad as you suggest. There was a defensive TD and then late in the came with UA up a bunch (48-30 with under 4 minutes to play - following a 45-6 run, I might add) the second team gave up a score, UA then muffed an on-sides kick, and second team gave up another quick score.

On the outside, Calvin Ridley is very good and an explosive player. Ardarius Stewart has been out since early in the Ole Miss game and he is the better WR. OJ Howard is probably the best TE to play there since Ozzie Newsom (who actually played WR at UA and TE in the pros). Damien Harris, Jo Scarborough and true frosh Joshua Jacobs are still splitting time at RB and the OL is still a work in progress. The defense, on the other hand, is the best I have seen under Saban.

Part of the respect UA is getting is this is becoming a familiar movie. Under Saban UA often has looked vulnerable early. Yet, they managed to win 4 of the last 7 national titles and were in the playoffs another year. Add to that tendency the fact that they are defending champs and presently undefeated, and being ranked number one is kind of natural. I don't agree. But, that has been a consistent pattern in the polls the last several years.

I agree Alabama may lose tomorrow. Over the next five weeks (at Ark., at Tenn., vs. A&M, bye, at LSU) they are going to lose at least one. If they don't, hand them the trophy after the game in Baton Rouge. Hell, hand them the Lombardi Trophy while you're at it. If Alabama runs that stretch, the horse is gone. No one will beat them.
Well, I don't think just because they may beat those SEC teams no one will beat them. Arkansas and LSU are not exactly playoff material. I think Tennessee and A&M are very good teams but again, not playoff material. The Tide would most likely have to beat OSU or Michigan or Clemson to win it all again and I just don't see it. It's true the Tide have good players but no Heisman types...at least not yet.

Cardlaw,are you a UK basketball fan as well as an Alabama football fan?Just curious.

I'm not an anybody b-ball fan. It bores me. I cannot name a single collegiate player for any team and I can probably only name about five coaches.

Well, I don't think just because they may beat those SEC teams no one will beat them. Arkansas and LSU are not exactly playoff material. I think Tennessee and A&M are very good teams but again, not playoff material. The Tide would most likely have to beat OSU or Michigan or Clemson to win it all again and I just don't see it. It's true the Tide have good players but no Heisman types...at least not yet.

I don't disagree. LSU and Arkansas will not be in the playoffs. But dealing with both on the road with the other two sandwiched in between? I can't think of anyone in the country that has a four game stretch like that. And I agree they are still going to have to deal with Ohio State. But, what I am saying - perhaps inartfully - is that if Alabama can run that stretch, they are really, really good.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. LSU and Arkansas will not be in the playoffs. But dealing with both on the road with the other two sandwiched in between? I can't think of anyone in the country that has a four game stretch like that. And I agree they are still going to have to deal with Ohio State. But, what I am saying - perhaps inartfully - is that if Alabama can run that stretch, they are really, really good.
Well I can. Let's take FSU. They have a four game stretch of at UofL, at USF, UNC, at Miami. Then after a lay up against Wake, it's Clemson. That's a much tougher stretch than Alabama's and the Seminoles also had to play Ole Miss.

Then you have Wisconsin. At Michigan St, at Michigan, OSU, at Iowa, Nebraska. And the Badgers already beat LSU.

Alabama's four game stretch is tough but not something that would make them unbeatable.

Well I can. Let's take FSU. They have a four game stretch of at UofL, at USF, UNC, at Miami. Then after a lay up against Wake, it's Clemson. That's a much tougher stretch than Alabama's and the Seminoles also had to play Ole Miss.

Then you have Wisconsin. At Michigan St, at Michigan, OSU, at Iowa, Nebraska. And the Badgers already beat LSU.

Alabama's four game stretch is tough but not something that would make them unbeatable.

Not sure I would put South Florida, UNC or Iowa in the same league. And Michigan State is not looking great this year either. They just got housed by Indiana following the drubbing the Badgers put on them.

Not sure I would put South Florida, UNC or Iowa in the same league. And Michigan State is not looking great this year either. They just got housed by Indiana following the drubbing the Badgers put on them.
Why not UNC? They're ranked with a win over a ranked team. They're better than LSU and probably Arkansas. USF is a good team, not some also ran. I agree they're not on the same level as these teams but it was still a road game for FSU. Iowa and Michigan State have been disappointments but both of those games for Wisconsin were on the road. Kinda like Arkansas on the road don't you think? And you included LSU who has been a train wreck this season and has no QB worth a darn. Are they not the same as a Michigan State?

Pretty much agree with the OP. Bama beat the best team on their schedule about as badly as FSU beat them. And FSU has been exposed, arguably, by other better teams than Bama has played.

Still a lotta football to be played where these questions will start to be answered...

Why not UNC? They're ranked with a win over a ranked team. They're better than LSU and probably Arkansas. USF is a good team, not some also ran. I agree they're not on the same level as these teams but it was still a road game for FSU. Iowa and Michigan State have been disappointments but both of those games for Wisconsin were on the road. Kinda like Arkansas on the road don't you think? And you included LSU who has been a train wreck this season and has no QB worth a darn. Are they not the same as a Michigan State?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that (other than that LSU's QB situation is abysmal - we agree there). I think both LSU and Arkansas would pull UNC into a phone booth and beat the snot out of them. That is just how LSU and Arkansas (and Alabama) want to play. Finesse teams don't generally handle that well especially when the physical teams also have tons of speed as both LSU and Arkansas do.

Pretty much agree with the OP. Bama beat the best team on their schedule about as badly as FSU beat them. And FSU has been exposed, arguably, by other better teams than Bama has played.

Still a lotta football to be played where these questions will start to be answered...

As I noted in my original response in this thread, we will find out who Alabama is over the next five weeks. Either the pollsters are right; or my doubts are right. When we wake up November 6th, Alabama will be the team to beat, a contender, or out of it. We'll see. If Ardarius Stewart comes back soon I'd feel a whole lot better.

Bama is Bama. They deserve the pub. The best team in college football is Ohio State, however. Seems like they don't get near the love Bama gets.

Bama is Bama. They deserve the pub. The best team in college football is Ohio State, however. Seems like they don't get near the love Bama gets.

I think this is pretty much spot on.

I can't really argue with the Alabama respect card either. Their staff and program has proven time after time they are capable of navigating through the season and being where everyone else wants to be at the end of the year.

I agree with others that OSU and Clemson are better teams at this point in the season and should be ranked higher. IMO Bama is getting the respect card played on their behalf. With a stable full of 4 and 5-star players in the barn and a coaching staff with their track record, I would say that it is earned.

After watching some of the 1st half, I would say Bama is starting to look like Bama.

Last edited:
As I noted in my original response in this thread, we will find out who Alabama is over the next five weeks. Either the pollsters are right; or my doubts are right. When we wake up November 6th, Alabama will be the team to beat, a contender, or out of it. We'll see. If Ardarius Stewart comes back soon I'd feel a whole lot better.
Probably Alabama's toughest game is against a team that should've lost to App St....

Having played Bama, they've earned my respect. If they win out, they're in.

But I'm not sure about all the tOSU love. I'm not going to say the suck, they're a GOOD team but I'm not convinced they're an ELITE team yet. Who have they beaten? When they beat someone real, I'll reconsider my position.

I'll certainly agree they'll threaten EVERYONE, in the next two or three years but I'm skeptical about saying that today.

Today, I consider both Clemson and UL ahead of tOSU, although if tOSU wins out I'd give them the third spot and UL the fourth. If that happens, here are my picks:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. tOSU
4. UL

Well, looks like I was wrong about Arkansas. It's gonna take a big play offense to beat the Tide. That's something the Hogs do not have.

Well, looks like I was wrong about Arkansas. It's gonna take a big play offense to beat the Tide. That's something the Hogs do not have.

Gotta disagree again, my friend. Alabama's defense was an embarrassment tonight. Apparently they forgot is is acceptable to actually cover receivers down field.

Even with the win and the offense starting to look like it has a clue, I am more discouraged now than before. That was just awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT