ADVERTISEMENT

ACC net work contract

Law007

5000+
May 29, 2001
The ACC is in the middle of a contract with ESPN that contains a clause that would require the sports broadcasting giant to pay the conference $45 million if there is not an agreement on an ACC network by July 1. ESPN and the ACC have put on hold the payment of the $ 45 million with no date / time stated in hope of reaching an agreement However, given ESPN’s recent lack of success in funding conference networks, the chances of the ACC having its own network is looking slim.

The network said in its annual report that it lost millions of subscribers over the last few years due to the emergence of online streaming of television. Those losses combined with the fledgling Longhorn Network that has struggled since its inception will give ESPN pause in dumping millions of dollars into another conference channel.When asked specifically whether ESPN had been in talks with the ACC regarding the network possibilities, Swofford’s vague tone continued to be the norm.

“We’re bullish about it, and I’d say they’re bullish about it,” Swofford said. “The days of everything just being a right-fee negotiation, there’s still some of that. But there’s a lot more negotiations about developing businesses together that are a partnership, if you will. As opposed to a guaranteed rights fee that will be, ‘You get this much this year, this much next year.’ There’s where some of the transition is going to be.

Never really understood why the ACC did not move quicker on this network thing. But I know "it's complicated". True, the "football interest" is not as strong as in the deep south but the ACC has a HUGE viewing footprint as well as a much stronger "year round sports" profile than probably every other P5 conference. JMO.

Peace

Never really understood why the ACC did not move quicker on this network thing. But I know "it's complicated". True, the "football interest" is not as strong as in the deep south but the ACC has a HUGE viewing footprint as well as a much stronger "year round sports" profile than probably every other P5 conference. JMO.

Peace

The ACC didn't really have a say in it. ESPN had been working on the SEC network since 2008. ESPN was always going to go with the SEC first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT